Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Billy headlining benefit for former head of SP fanclub (Laura)

Billy Corgan Headlining Benefit for Former Smashing Pumpkins Fan Club Leader - Spinner

Quote:
Billy Corgan will take the stage as part of the Backwards Clock Society in order to help raise money for Laura Masura, the former head of the Smashing Pumpkins fan club. Masura shattered her leg on Sept. 9 in a motorcycle crash on the Pacific Coast Highway, stalling her ability to make a living producing jams from ingredients obtained from local Southern California farms. The concert will take place at Los Angeles' Echoplex on Nov. 8.

Corgan, who will be joined by Kerry Brown of Ancient Chinese Secrets and Mark Tulin of Electric Prunes fame, will perform alongside other local artists that share a Chicago connection with Masura, including the Happy Stars (with Brian Young from Fountains of Wayne), the Pulsars, Tim Rutili of Red Red Meat and Califone, Pity Party and Light FM. The latter's Josiah Mazzaschi -- a former bandmate of Masura's when they played together in Motorhome -- is organizing the show to help cover medical bills and compensate for her lost income while she is wheelchair-bound.

In advance of the show, Corgan has also donated two special autographed items for auction: Jimmy Chamberlin's drum kit from the band's 1991 'Gish' sessions and tour, and Corgan's original bass guitar, which he played at the band's very first show and used on early demos. The items will be available via eBay soon.
I remember Laura, I still remember the interview she did with eric agnew too. Best of luck to her, hope she recovers soon.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
redbull
Immortal

corgan donated jimmy's kit?

Old 10-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

It depends on who bought the drumkit. I doubt Jimmy really cares but it was probably done with his approval anyway.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
MonteLDS
*sigh*

i would assume that Billy has always owned the instruments played in by SP

Old 10-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Mo
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteLDS View Post
i would assume that Billy has always owned the instruments played in by SP
Why?

Old 10-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Shallowed
Braindead

I doubt the kit has any sentimental value to Jimmy anyway.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Why?
Because it's Billy Corgan?

Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.

I got my Siamese Dream lyrics sheet from Laura...eventually

I'm going to go order some of her jam because I have a feeling I'm going to want some in 2016 or so

Old 10-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter

Location: I fuck in my spare time, this is what I do at work you dumb bitch.-esty

First thing he has done that made me feel better instead of worse about him in a while.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

monte loves to assume things.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

i hope he checked with jim first

Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
wHATcOLOR

well none of us really have any way to know. speculation's kind of pointless, but it's not too hard to imagine a sceario in which jim really treasured that particular drum set and would gladly donate something of greater value in its place. james wasn't finished with Go and bill put it on MII without his knowledge or consent, if i recall correctly. and it's entirely possible, as you say, that jim woudln't mind one bit, and it's equally possible that bill said 'hey jim, there's this benefit..' and jim said 'you can donate my gish set!', and none of us really know. it's more the principle of checking with someone before doing something with something of theirs that i was curious about.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter

That's really poor judgment to ride a motorcycle without medical insurance. Too bad we don't have universal coverage 'round here.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #14
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarski View Post
is there any doubt jimmy chamberlin wouldn't be ok with this?
nah, i'm pretty sure billy said that they still talk almost every day.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #15
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
but it's not too hard to imagine a sceario in which jim really treasured that particular drum set and would gladly donate something of greater value in its place. james wasn't finished with Go and bill put it on MII without his knowledge or consent, if i recall correctly.
So you're basing the idea of JC having his drum kit basically stolen and sold without his okay on a half-heard rumour that James was ticked that "Go" was on MACHINA II in an unfished form? Personally speaking, I can't quite make the logical leap between the two.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
wHATcOLOR

ok you're putting words in my mouth. what i said was "i hope he checked with jim first"

then cigarski said there's no doubt that jim would be fine with it

and i said none of us know anything about it, maybe he's fine with it, maybe he's not. and i'm not making any guesses one way or the other. i'm saying "i hope he checked with jim first"

Old 10-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #17
wHATcOLOR

more than anything, it's a reaction to the way the sentence in the article is written:

In advance of the show, Corgan has also donated two special autographed items for auction: Jimmy Chamberlin's drum kit from the band's 1991 'Gish' sessions and tour, and Corgan's original bass guitar, which he played at the band's very first show and used on early demos.

wHATcOLOR ate two things for lunch: Ugly's chicken pot pie, and wHATcOLOR's leftover lasagne.

"i hope wHATcOLOR checked with Ugly first"

rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble

Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #18
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

From an interview from the Chicago Tribune, 2003 (JAMES IHA DOT ORG :: News Database)

Quote:
"Her enthusiasm was overwhelming," remembers Chamberlin, who sold her the drum kit he'd used to make the Pumpkins' "Gish" CD and gave her lessons. After an auto accident on a tour last March forced Masura to leave a newer set of drums in her mother's garage in Phoenix, she got the "Gish" kit out of storage, so it continues to rock the world today

Old 10-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
redbull
Immortal

so bill didn't actually donate it at all

Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #20
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post

wHATcOLOR ate two things for lunch: Ugly's chicken pot pie, and wHATcOLOR's leftover lasagne.

"i hope wHATcOLOR checked with Ugly first"

rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble
Goddamint! Now you're eating my chicken pot pie? How the hell did that happen?

Old 10-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #21
markpregen
Apocalyptic Poster

9/9/09 sine
On 9/9/09, while on her way to a strawberry farm in Irvine, Laura Ann was hit by a car on PCH. She suffered multiple injuries, and her left heel was nearly sheared off. Initially, there was talk of amputating her entire foot, but the decision was made to try and save it. Once the extensive amount of grafted skin takes hold, Laura Ann will face multiple surgeries to rebuild her foot. Equally painful – as far as Laura Ann is concerned – her jam business is on temporary hold while she recovers.
Laura Ann's Jams
Laura Ann's Jams | Facebook
Laura Ann Masura - LinkedIn
Young Money Talks
Josiah Mazzaschi of the band Light FM has organized an impressive line up for the concert, which starts at 5 PM and costs a mere $12 per ticket. (ALL proceeds go to Laura Ann. This ain’t UNICEF. The Echoplex’s Liz Garo has generously donated use of the venue.) To appear: The Happy Stars (Brian Young from Fountains of Wayne and Joe Skyward from The Posies), The Pulsars (Dave and Harry Trumfio), Tim Rutili (Red Red Meat, Califone), Syd Straw (Golden Palominos) Pity Party, Light FM, and The Backward Clock Society, featuring Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins, Kerry Brown of Ancient Chinese Secrets and Mark Tulin of the Electric Prunes. Rotary Rachel (Rachel Lichtman of luxuriamusic.com) will emcee and DJ between band sets.
I assumed she was Asian
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...5711_30291.jpg

Old 10-21-2009, 12:46 AM   #22
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Smashing Pumpkins dot com | sp memorabilia to be auctioned off + pictures of Billy and Jimmy signing them.

Quote:
Want to own the original bass guitar Billy played at the first ever Smashing Pumpkins show? How about the drum kit that Jimmy played on the Gish record? Now's your chance! Both items are up for auction on the official Smashing Pumpkins memorabilia ebay site. By going here (eBay Seller: officialspmemorabilia: items on eBay.com) beginning Tomorrow, Wed., 10/21 you can bid on both of these pieces of Pumpkins history, and help a good cause while you're at it: 100% of the proceeds from the sale of each item will be donated to Laura Masura.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #23
agnew
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbMan View Post
That's really poor judgment to ride a motorcycle without medical insurance. Too bad we don't have universal coverage 'round here.
"Even though she has insurance, Laura Ann's out-of-pocket medical expenses are expected to exceed $15,000, so please consider buying a jar of jam for a good cause." Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a link to buy jam anywhere. -_-;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly View Post
So you're basing the idea of JC having his drum kit basically stolen and sold without his okay on a half-heard rumour that James was ticked that "Go" was on MACHINA II in an unfished form? Personally speaking, I can't quite make the logical leap between the two.
As stated above (and here, near the bottom), Jimmy's Gish kit was given to Laura Ann a long time back, so I don't think it's Billy doing the donating.

Also, the James mentioning Go wasn't finished thing wasn't a half-hearted rumor- he told me that directly, which is also documented here (Oberhausen #2, near bottom).

Alsø alsø:

http://web.archive.org/web/199610200...otos/EA-LA.jpg

Old 10-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #24
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

and there you have it

Old 10-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #25
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

Girls' Night Out

Old 10-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #26
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

Is that the pumpkinqueen?

Old 10-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #27
The Jesus
Minion of Satan

How does breaking a leg stop you from making jam?

Old 10-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #28
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/ebay/JC_web1.jpg

Jimmy is on board...
http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/ebay/jc_letter.jpg
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3412wt_1155

Last edited by commando : 10-21-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #29
Pop Tart
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
dot com | sp memorabilia to be auctioned off + pictures of Billy and Jimmy signing them.
Where's c_wilson when you need him?

Old 10-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #30
Musica
Demi-God

Laura Ann's Jam looks yummy... hope they have an option for internet order and ship to outside of U.S..

Last edited by Musica : 10-21-2009 at 04:00 PM.