Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Red face Ancient Europeans were dark skinned with light eyes

NYT – ‘Cheddar Man,’ Britain’s Oldest Skeleton, Had Dark Skin, DNA Shows

https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2...rip=all&w=1000

This shit is amazing and blowing my fuckin mind. The most interesting parts to me:

–this guy lived 10,000 years ago and was part of the population known as Western Hunter Gatherers. This DNA analysis backs up what analyses on other ancient European remains have suggested; the Western Hunter Gatherers were "black."

–there were other remains found in the cave, about 5,000 years older, belonging to an unrelated group of people. Europe has likely been populated by successive waves of migrants over thousands of years who replaced or displaced each other

–light pigmentation did not enter Europe until 6-8 thousand years ago, and the people who brought it actually moved from the Near East and Central Asia... consider that Egyptian civilization was getting started around 7500 years ago as reference. White skin not only does not originate in Europe, it arrived there very recently in the spectrum of human history

–the genes for light skin pigmentation can be traced to some populations in Africa, so it's possible there were ancient white Africans as well, or at least the genes either began there OR people carrying the genes migrated back to Africa at a certain point. Bottom line, the entire modern conception of race has no scientific basis at all because look back in time and all the lines we know are not only blurred, but totally erased

–About 10% of the modern British genome is from the Western Hunter Gatherers, and even though he lived 10k years ago, scientists found that Cheddar man has a verifiable relative living in the town next to the cave where the skeleton was found. The man is related to Cheddar Man on his mother's side

Old 02-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
FoolofaTook

Pale skin is a genetic mutation to lack of sunlight. It is inferior.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Pale skin is a genetic mutation to lack of sunlight. It is inferior.
well a longstanding theory is that light skin is a mutation to help people who live in climates with not as much sun, but it turns out white skin doesn't even come from Europe. It likely existed when humans moved out of Africa. so.

it could be that light skin has been most successful in cold climates far from the equator even if it didn't develop there, but the populations who brought white skin into Europe are apparently from the Mesopotamia area and into the middle of Asia

Old 02-14-2018, 09:41 PM   #4
TuralyonW3
Immortal

i mean, I don't mean to be dismissive of the science or rude to you about the post... but who cares?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
i mean, I don't mean to be dismissive of the science or rude to you about the post... but who cares?
I thought it was the most fascinating thing I read in a long time, but maybe we have different interests

Old 02-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
FoolofaTook

My bad. I read that somewhere and it must be outdated now.

Turalyon this is a major fuck you to all the ppl who think pale skin is some sort of sign of European dominance. And there are lots of those.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:12 PM   #7
redbreegull

Quote:
I thought that literally until I read this and the other 10 articles I could find on it. I always assumed white skin developed in Europe because it's cold and northerly there. I asked my ex who is an archaeologist though and she was like "yeah, white people all came from Asia, everyone knows that now."

Old 02-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #8
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:

Turalyon this is a major fuck you to all the ppl who think pale skin is some sort of sign of European dominance. And there are lots of those.
I mean not really, it says only 10% of current Europeans are descended from these people. And it’s well known that the first humans (from Mesopotamia and whatnot) were all dark skinned.

If people are ignorant enough to be really that proud of their “white European skin” I don’t see this “SJW science” (as they’d term it) changing their minds. Sorry if I’m in a cynical mood or whatever

Old 02-14-2018, 11:23 PM   #9
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
I mean not really, it says only 10% of current Europeans are descended from these people. And it’s well known that the first humans (from Mesopotamia and whatnot) were all dark skinned.

If people are ignorant enough to be really that proud of their “white European skin” I don’t see this “SJW science” (as they’d term it) changing their minds. Sorry if I’m in a cynical mood or whatever
err well the first humans were from Africa as far as we know. Mesopotamia is probably the oldest urbanized civilization, but that's a difference of 200,000 years at least (they now think modern homo sapiens may have developed earlier, 3-5 hundred thousand years ago). And we don't actually know what either the first humans or the Mesopotamians looked like. I am not good enough with biology or genetics to explain this right, but you can't just test any piece of bone for DNA and say exactly what a person looked like the way they did with Cheddar man. I believe conditions have to be specific for a DNA sequence to be preserved like that.

and I don't think it literally means that 10% of all British people have ancestry related to these people, I think it means that 10% of the modern British genome comes from these people

Old 02-14-2018, 11:32 PM   #10
redbreegull

NYT 1997 – Tracing Your Family Tree To Cheddar Man

they just tested 20 people in somserset and of those people, they found one who was directly related to cheddar guy maternally. they extrapolated and estimated that over 1% of British people share the same mitochondrial link. So that's not 1% are related to the Western Hunter Gatherers, that's 1% shares THIS specific direct lineage which is crazy and probably indicates most British people carry genes from this population

Old 02-14-2018, 11:44 PM   #11
redbreegull

but this is also incredibly interesting in the context of global white supremacy, and how white skin became what it is today. A genetic mutation which can be traced to the middle of Asia and didn't even get to Europe until the time lower and upper Egypt were unifying into one state, has, in the 6000 years since, taken over the world

Old 02-15-2018, 01:13 AM   #12
FoolofaTook

Funny how the other pale skins (north/central/northeastern asians) get called "yellow" instead of white. some of the most bleached ppl I've ever met were chinese and korean.

turalyon this might not change any racist dipshits mind but it's nice to throw in their faces. "We all share african ancestors" and "your pure white skin is an aberration!"

Old 02-15-2018, 01:20 AM   #13
redbreegull

since racism is an ideology based on nothing, I don't doubt it won't change the minds of racist. I just find it super fucking fascinating.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:53 AM   #14
ilikeplanets
Braindead

ilikescience

Old 02-15-2018, 02:40 AM   #15
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Red face

imagine that in those days, there was literally no way of predicting which character would be the first to die in horror films

must have been good times

Old 02-15-2018, 03:16 AM   #16
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Bullshit. The world is 5,500 years old. Jesus was a white American guy. Anything else is Satan’s trickery.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:28 AM   #17
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
Bullshit. The world is 5,500 years old. Jesus was a white American guy. Anything else is Satan’s trickery.
shut your god damn mouth, the earth is 5778 years old, which in the gregorian calendar is 5761 years old

Old 02-15-2018, 04:16 AM   #18
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Sorry, I was basin* i5 on older research. And the word of God our Father.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:29 AM   #19
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
ilikescience
http://i.imgur.com/MrfcaNp.gif

Last edited by smashingjj : 02-15-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:33 AM   #20
Shallowed
Braindead

I keep reading the title of this thread as "Ancient Europeans were dank"

Old 02-15-2018, 04:35 AM   #21
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Maybe they all needed a good bath?

Old 02-15-2018, 04:36 AM   #22
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Were they covered in cheese?

Old 02-15-2018, 06:41 AM   #23
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Can't wait to read about Brie-man and Mozzarella-man as well.

Last edited by PuzzledMuzzle : 02-15-2018 at 06:47 AM.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:46 AM   #24
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

I actually read a really fascinating thing last night that blew my mind. It was about Ricotta-man. He was apparently related to Mozzarella-man! Crazy to think about.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #25
LaBelle
Socialphobic

What about the women?

Old 02-15-2018, 07:07 AM   #26
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
What about the women?
Hmm, Gorgonzola-woman? Pecorino-lady?

Old 02-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #27
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
well a longstanding theory is that light skin is a mutation to help people who live in climates with not as much sun, but it turns out white skin doesn't even come from Europe. It likely existed when humans moved out of Africa. so.
I thought it was that white skin developed because colder climates couldn't grow the sorts of foods that are high in vitamin D, so skin developed to absorb more sunlight in order to facilitate its biosynthesis.

It would make sense if the light-skin mutation occurred in Africa, but was selected for in climates with vitamin-D-deficient vegetation.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #28
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisInSpades View Post
Lmao why

Old 02-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #29
redbreegull

some racist out there gave this thread 1 star

Old 02-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #30
redbreegull