http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/aeronaut/

Old 08-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #155
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramdust View Post
Wow. Pitchfork doesn't hate it.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/aeronaut/
Mysteriously Billy never gets negative reviews.

Monuments has a metacritic score of 70, despite it being universally hated by all.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/monu...shing-pumpkins

Old 08-25-2017, 08:53 PM   #156
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
The vibrato truly sux such enormous fux it's astonishing he persists with it, especially considering he's perfectly capable of extremely powerful singing in his old style
I don't think this is true. I'm actually beginning to think that his voice is just shot... He was never a great traditional singer by any means, even when he transitioned with the 'Adore' style.... He's played countless shows, belting out vocals for nearly 30 years...

I think his voice is just simply shot... And the irritating whine and the excessive vibrato style is the best he can offer up these days.

The same thing happens to a lot of artists. I had lost touch with Metallica for probably 20 years, and had a friend give me a nose-bleed ticket to their recent concert and Hetfield suffers from the "Corgan ailment" (granted to an obvious lesser degree)... No rasp or intensity anymore... Just a monotonous generic sounding rendition.

Bottom line is this: Corgan can't sing anymore... He was never "traditionally" good, but now he can't even manage an eccentric unique style. The guys finished... The only shot he has at any acclaim is reuniting the original 4.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 08-25-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:18 PM   #157
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

he sang great live on the plainsong tour.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:22 PM   #158
fuzzyroes
Banned

Ahhh.... Often times people are easily impressed in a live setting. I've heard a handful of bootlegs and his voice isn't close to the quality that it was 15 years ago.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #159
fuzzyroes
Banned

The vibratos simply a defense mechanism used by a singer in decline.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #160
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Ahhh.... Often times people are easily impressed in a live setting. I've heard a handful of bootlegs and his voice isn't close to the quality that it was 15 years ago.
haven't we had this discussion before? your 15 minutes of youtube investigation does not trump my actual experience. his voice was surprisingly excellent, perhaps the best i've heard it. obviously he can't scream and shit but im talking general strength, tone, being on key, control, etc. it was pretty good in 2007, too. he just sucks on record and when he drops consonants. he only used a little vibrato live.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #161
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
haven't we had this discussion before? your 15 minutes of youtube investigation does not trump my actual experience. his voice was surprisingly excellent, perhaps the best i've heard it.
So what's your excuse for the poor vocal showing on the lead single of his long-awaited hyped solo album? Just a bad take used?

Honestly, people can sound good live. I recorded a friend at karaoke years back who wanted to be a singer and everyone was blown away by his performances, but then when I went back to listen to the recordings it actually kind of sucked.

Corgan has an awful tone and vocal projection. He used to get away with it by brilliantly mixing in shrieking and snarling and it was unique... Now that he doesn't have that to fall back on it just sounds like shit.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:40 PM   #162
Ram27
dumb

All the art direction for the posters and stuff is really really well done. Reminds me of MCIS era type stuff. Great turn of the century aesthetic

but the album cover itself is literal figurative garbage

Old 08-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #163
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
He ekes out slivers of vibrato among patches of his signature rasp
There wasn't any signature rasp. what the fuck is pitchfork talking about

Old 08-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #164
pinballzero
Pledge

It's really not a bad track ...

But this vocal trip he has been on HAS to mercifully end

Bill - shake yourself man

Old 08-25-2017, 09:44 PM   #165
Ram27
dumb

Anyone remember that one video from a couple years ago, when he came out with Manson and did a song just for fun? He sounded fucking great there - vintage growl

Which is scary -- he really thinks this shit sounds good.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:45 PM   #166
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
but the album cover itself is literal figurative garbage
Dude, it's his lover/the mother of his only child and the newborn baby... Pretty personal, awesome shot to have on a solo album.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #167
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
So what's your excuse for the poor vocal showing on the lead single of his long-awaited hyped solo album? Just a bad take used?
no, obviously it sounds good to him for some unknown reason. im positive he can sing better than that. it sounds like he went in a room and turned everything up and sang into the middle of the room. it is recorded like shit and mixed like shit and he sounds like shit. but corgan likes how it sounds, obviously

Old 08-25-2017, 09:54 PM   #168
fuzzyroes
Banned

I dunno... I don't buy the narrative of "Billy just sounds like shit because he likes sounding like that" ...

Think about it, even in the 90's his vocals were a big point of contention..... We're talking like 23 years later now... It's only natural that he's lost the howl, the rasp, the screech... Now we're simply left with the "whine" and he uses the vibrato to overcompensate.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #169
fuzzyroes
Banned

People can use some imagined mythical live performance to rationalize that he's still "as good as ever" but the proof is in the released recorded content.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:28 PM   #170
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Let's face it, reprise85, it's time: you need to just let's face it. Once you just let's face it, you'll see that mr fuzz eros is the ONLY only 1 itt making any kind of sense! Clearly, obviously, let's face it, you've imagined your entire mythical life, but thankfully mr roes is here to set you straight and help you let's face it, which is the 1st step toward healing!

Old 08-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #171
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
he sang great live on the plainsong tour.
Idk about that... the videos of him performing with Iha are unlistenable due to Billy's terrible voice.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:53 PM   #172
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
I dunno... I don't buy the narrative of "Billy just sounds like shit because he likes sounding like that" ...

Think about it, even in the 90's his vocals were a big point of contention..... We're talking like 23 years later now... It's only natural that he's lost the howl, the rasp, the screech... Now we're simply left with the "whine" and he uses the vibrato to overcompensate.
even if that's the best he can sing, which i don't think is true, the recording itself sounds like shit. he absolutely could have added effects to make it not sound as shitty, or just used a better recording procedure. it sounds beyond amateurish. since he didn't even do that, it follows that he likes the way it sounds

Old 08-25-2017, 11:05 PM   #173
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
People can use some imagined mythical live performance to rationalize that he's still "as good as ever" but the proof is in the released recorded content.
If anything, a good singer live is gonna sound even better in the studio due to having a controlled environment and the ability to edit/comp vocal performances.

The 'defense' here by reprise85 (and others have tried to give) that Billy sounds bad in the studio but good live is probably the most backasswards argument ever.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #174
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Billy likes the way his voice sounds produced super dry and up-front. He has previously said that as he has become a technically better and more accurate singer, he feels driven to showcase his voice up front and he has an inner conflict over whether the guitar or voice should be higher. So. Yeah, he likes how he sounds and records and produces himself like this on purpose.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #175
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post

congrats, this demand is indeed overwhelming. Bolly sold out three gigs and they had to add a fourth!
the venue holds 150 people.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #176
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
If anything, a good singer live is gonna sound even better in the studio due to having a controlled environment and the ability to edit/comp vocal performances.

The 'defense' here by reprise85 (and others have tried to give) that Billy sounds bad in the studio but good live is probably the most backasswards argument ever.
well one big difference is that live his voice reverberates and has "space" to it. In the studio he produces himself so it sounds like he's singing in a closest with pillows on the walls

Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 PM   #177
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
congrats, this demand is indeed overwhelming. Bolly sold out three gigs and they had to add a fourth!
the venue holds 150 people.
Wow... he was able to pull 600 ppl from the country's second largest market...

I mean, getting 600 ppl combined to consecutive shows is impressive if you're an amateur, but not so much for a guy who's received as much exposure and publicity as Billy.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #178
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
well one big difference is that live his voice reverberates and has "space" to it. In the studio he produces himself so it sounds like he's singing in a closest with pillows on the walls
Rick Ruben produced this Ogilala, not Billy.

There's also a thing called echo and reverb that can be added to recordings now. If Billy has indeed been singing in a closest with pillows on the walls subtle effects can be added to color his vocal performances.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:22 AM   #179
run2pee
Minion of Satan

SHIT JELLIES GETTIN "THERES ALSO A THING NOW" SALTY WATCH OUT

Old 08-26-2017, 12:26 AM   #180
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
Rick Ruben produced this Ogilala, not Billy.

There's also a thing called echo and reverb that can be added to recordings now. If Billy has indeed been singing in a closest with pillows on the walls subtle effects can be added to color his vocal performances.
yeah but he didn't add them, showing that he likes how it sounds without it