Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you like Cyr and/or the Color of Love?
Yes 27 49.09%
No 28 50.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2020, 01:08 AM   #31
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Funny... people here often speak about the potential of the new sp songs. Rofl.....
Personally the lyrics are a big prob. Bullshitmetaphors, noone can connect....

Bolly you arent the bob dylan man....

Btw i like dorian alsomuch more than the 2 new songs

Old 09-06-2020, 01:13 AM   #32
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Lol almost 50 % dislike thenew songs. How come that the youtube comments are all overwhelmingly positive?
Maybe the sp team got rid of the negative ones.... and as we know from the last 20 years the haters have grown whereas lots of fans/casual listeners have turned theirback. Thats afact

Old 09-06-2020, 01:14 AM   #33
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Sry but my space bar doesnt always work correctly. Gotta go in the stable milking my goats . Cys

Old 09-06-2020, 01:15 AM   #34
Shallowed
Braindead

ok

Old 09-07-2020, 04:06 AM   #35
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I'm surprise by the poll results.

Someone please make another poll only for those who voted with yes here: Did or do you like The Future Embrace?

Both new songs are sound torture to me, I assumed the poll would be 90% no. But I also don't get how anyone would listen to TFE voluntarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Lol almost 50 % dislike thenew songs. How come that the youtube comments are all overwhelmingly positive?
Maybe the sp team got rid of the negative ones.... and as we know from the last 20 years the haters have grown whereas lots of fans/casual listeners have turned theirback. Thats afact
We are too old to leave negative comments on YouTube. We have manners, you see.

Old 09-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #36
FollowAsILead
Pledge

These songs took a few listens to grow on me. Admittedly on the first listen I thought they were gross. However, something about the video for Cyr changed my opinion. Now I can't seem to NOT want to dance to it. Very catchy. CoL is pretty nice to, but not as good as Cyr. I am excited for the rest of the album. I feel like it will be much different, but if it was in the same vein I'd be down.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #37
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

I initially found both songs very offputting, but I've found them both growing on me to some degree (cyr moreso than colour of love).

These songs both feel very much like Monuments, but whereas that album made a strong impression before falling off dramatically, these are doing the opposite.

I hate the lyrics in Colour of Love. Makes it hard to like the chorus, despite a decent melody.

I find it likely the album will have a lot more variety, so it perplexes me as to why they chose these two songs to release in tandem. I feel like I'd be feeling much more positive if we got cyr and a more rocking track, or a more subdued, somber track, even.

I am hoping there aren't too many more songs on the record that have this kind of sound. If it's really going to be a 20 song record, I think it'd be interesting, however, to see one half with this kind of dancey new wave sound, and then the other in a completely different direction.

I'm intrigued by what's to come in the next few months.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #38
theslipstream
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
how do you pronounce Cyr

car?

sir?
In the off chance you're looking for a real answer, someone posted that Cyr is a French name that has an American variant "Sears". So I'm going with the pronunciation "seer" until I find out otherwise.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #39
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslipstream View Post
In the off chance you're looking for a real answer, someone posted that Cyr is a French name that has an American variant "Sears". So I'm going with the pronunciation "seer" until I find out otherwise.
Thanks, although "the off chance" was unnecessary

Old 09-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #40
phang
Ownz

I think the songs are okay. On a mixed playlist they'll fit in and be non offensive, and they might work on the album depending on what we get. You definitely wouldn't call your friends about the "hot new Pumpkins single" though and that's what t3h b0lly always wants because he's still overwhelmingly desperate for that radio banger and internet clicks.

For context I liked Dorian in everything except lyrics, I liked Adore at the time but probably wouldn't listen to it now, and I really enjoyed Future Embrace.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #41
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Adore is one of the best Pumpkins albums as a whole, but I have a slight preference for the songs that lean harder into the folk/gothic elements; the best songs on Adore are To Sheila, Shame, For Martha, Behold! The Nightmare, etc. I am not as hot on songs like Perfect, Appels + Oranjes, Dusty, etc. Daphne Descends is really underrated, though.

One thing that's becoming clear to me is that Cyr / CoL sound more like the Pumpkins than I originally thought. It's really easy to think of SP as a fuzzy guitar band, but it really represents a increasingly smaller fragment of their discography. Pretty sure there was a thread about that here at some point. I think we all had a time where we genuinely loved this band and identified with what we thought they were; it's hard to rationalize that they haven't been that band for a long, long time now, and never really meant to be that type of band forever, anyway. We miss everything they'll never be.

The Future Embrace isn't bad at all. The sound has an incredibly unique aesthetic. It's a very low energy record for the type music within, which is really off putting until you start memorizing the songs & the melodies begin making sense. Actually, I think the best analogue to the feel of TFE might be REM's "Up" album.

It's a similar sort of thing with this, except neither melody is fantastic-- they're just okay. Silvery Sometimes is the same way, but that melody is a lot better.

Last edited by LoveIsSuicide42 : 09-07-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #42
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

Billys voice and way of singing makes this band a totally diferent band now imo.
And the melodies are generaly pretty weak actually.
My bad luck, this are the points i liked more on SP.

I love TFE, it aged well and it is far superior than this new songs.

Old 09-07-2020, 09:07 PM   #43
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

SP has put out an unbelievable amount of great music, so I have a hard time demanding more. I agree to a certain extent that once this whole album is released I'll be able to, at least to a certain extent, appreciate the material more. That being said, its hard not to be bummed out that this is what was released. It may be silly but I was really hoping we would get a more recognizable SP with James back. These songs are okay, but at the same time I hear Ginger's new song and I like it right away. I actually want to hear it on repeat, its actually entertaining. Billy seems like he's always trying to prove a point with his new music, and whatever reason he seems to not want to be entertaining.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:49 PM   #44
Ram27
dumb

i've had mazzy star's newest album in my iTunes for a while but hadn't listened to it, for whatever reason. within like 4 days i'm super obsessed with a few of the tracks

i can't possibly have less desire to listen to city of love or whatever

Old 09-07-2020, 10:53 PM   #45
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Nice, love Mazzy Star, had no idea they had a new album

Old 09-07-2020, 11:16 PM   #46
Ram27
dumb

well shit sorry, not new. newest, from 2013

their guitarist and drummer both died

Old 09-07-2020, 11:41 PM   #47
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
do you like Dorian?

No.

do you like Adore?

Yes.
This, but with a little tweaking Dorian could be a solid song.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:49 AM   #48
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spira|_ View Post
Billys voice and way of singing makes this band a totally diferent band now imo.
The way he gulps syllables and drops consonants sounds so unnatural.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:45 AM   #49
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

100 % klickfarm managed by sumerian.
Klicks stagnate.

First i disliked on first listen. Then i said ok..songs are ok.
But as with almost every post 2000 song i am now sick of hearing those 2 annoying songs.
That'sthe main problem.
People can't connect with the sp anymore.... it's just out their but nothing any more.

In the 90s they stood for sthg andtheyhad their niche.
Whatstheir niche now?

Old 09-08-2020, 07:59 AM   #50
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

What broke in Billy's brain that he keeps burrowing into this shit nobody wants or cares about whilst simultaneously hating on fans of his best work, and hating on his own style of singing, writing, playing?

If Billy was in a new band putting out material from 2005-present, he'd have no money for a tea shop. He'd have been laughed out of the room before any label signed him.

It's about his changed singing voice post-2000, but not just his singing, it's about his whole shitty persona exposed. It's like in the 90's he pulled off this grift as an intellectual song-writing prodigy who "got it" and represented alternative subculture, and then as soon as the critical acclaim and sales started to wane this naked emperor appeared attacking alternative subculture and performing a completely different and inferior act whilst pushing conservative, anti-vaxxing, dumb-ass conspiracy theories. And he keeps doing that same fucking act whilst being angry he's not topping the charts.

Bring back 2000 Billy and lose the uncle fester garb.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 09-08-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:09 AM   #51
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

I like them but I'm still disappointed.

They're very MTAE, in that they're not expressing or communicating anything they're just professionally constructed standard work-for-hire type songs. In fact they're even more basic than the average MTAE song.

WPC doesn't write bad songs but he doesn't seem particularly bothered about writing genuinely great or memorable songs either. He seems more interested in exploring sounds and production styles. It's unfortunate that he doesn't seem to be interested in exploring weirder, less mainstream styles.

The production, backing vocals gimmick, etc work for me. Gotta give them credit for not doing an embarrassing "back to their roots" come back album which seemed like the obvious thing to do given the reunion and Shiny V1.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #52
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Also I don't like either song, CoL made a better first impression, but forgettable.

Cyr I actually don't mind when it's on, I can get into it - if it came on shuffle or was part of a best of compilation... fine. But it's not a song anyone would actively like or recommend or choose to play for their enjoyment.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #53
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I absoltely agree with both of u. ( woody, incubator).
I have the impression that billy wants to have this new hit....but it's more a curse than a blessing.
Yeah.... standard radio singles.... iha completely missing, so is jim..... jim just ads what is needed for a synthpop song in 4/4.
Bolly could be more experimental...weirder,

I am not a native speaker..... but his way of pronunciation really changed massively.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #54
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

if you're not a true fan, then why are you even here?!?

Old 09-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #55
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm a true fan and a WPCAnon believer.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #56
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

DORIAN ANH ANHH ANH
WHAT HAVE U DONE?
DORIAN ANH ANHH ANH

CoolAsIceScream sing along with me now!

Again

DORIAN ANH ANHH ANH
WHAT HAVE U DONE?
DORIAN ANH ANHH ANH

Old 09-08-2020, 09:57 PM   #57
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

I do want to note the most surprising part of rolling out this album is that it appears they're sticking with the Shiny album concept. This marks the first time in a very, very long time that Billy has followed through with his stated plans and intentions regarding new releases. I mean, there's still plenty of time for him to do a total 180 with how this music is presented, but it appears we are, indeed, heading for Shiny Vol. 2.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:36 AM   #58
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I'm just not compelled to want to listen to these songs again. Also I saw the most atrocious cover of "Cyr" by a duo on the SP facebook group and it was traumatic.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:59 AM   #59
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spira|_ View Post
DORIAN ANH ANHH ANH
WHAT HAVE U DONE?
DORIAN ANH ANHH ANH

CoolAsIceScream sing along with me now!

Again

DORIAN ANH ANHH ANH
WHAT HAVE U DONE?