Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #31
Mayfuck
Banned

i'm almost done with this album. i'm on god and country now. i will make a separate thread for my exclusive opinion and review on the album.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #32
theeggofhope
Banned

my only problem with starz is that I think the lead guitar needs to be cranked up a bit more...
this song rocked live, but it just doesn't have the same effect on the album...

Old 06-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #33
theeggofhope
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfuck
i'm almost done with this album. i'm on god and country now. i will make a separate thread for my exclusive opinion and review on the album.
how gracious of you...

Old 06-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #34
caliphornia
Ownz

i'm glad the big muff is back in action fulltime.

the guitar tone on this album is SICK. i don't know how billy does it but once again SP have regained the best guitar tone of any current rock band IMO

Old 06-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #35
skipgo
Minion of Satan

oh, and I do kind of like pomp and circumstances. It's weird though, it's a weird song. I like it better than some of the other songs though. I like it better than For God & Country. I like it better than a couple of other tracks. I can honestly say, though, there's nothing I don't like on here. When I heard that Death From Above track this morning, I said I wouldn't let it discourage me, and I was right yay

I feel like gushing over zeitgeist for a while, i'm feeling like a fangirl.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #36
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

I think a lot of people are of the opinion

Zeitgeist Studio > Zeitgeist Live

Old 06-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #37
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

UNited states is way to fucking long the last minute is great but the other 8 minutes are great for about 2 minutes. What a boring song.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #38
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarki
your review of doomsday saved me from reading the rest of that. i totally disagree. killer opening and awesome chorus.

You should of heard that shit at the listening party cranked up!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #39
Mayfuck
Banned

MCIS
SD
Adore
Gish
Machina II
Zeitgeist
Machina

Old 06-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #40
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan

I'm writing this short review in semi-response to PkPhuoko's because I'm lazy and schtuff.

Doomsday Clock - I do think you're right in saying that it's a bad opener, but I wouldn't give it a 1. Let's say 3/5 because it has grown on me a little.

7 Shades of Black - I completely agree with your opinion. Best song on the album. 5/5

Bleeding the Orchid - Much nicer than the live version, which I found to be almost boring. The guitars rule. 5/5

That's The Way - Zwanish, but I liked Zwan. But I could almost see it on Machina as well. Huh. Either way, I like it. 3/5

Tarantula - I don't think it should have been the first single either as it's certainly not the strongest track, and other songs might have done well on the radio anyway (7 Shades?). I know there's been some hate for this song, but it's really grown on me since it first leaked...especially the breakdown. 4/5

Starz - I completely agree with everything you said: "bleh much like death from above the vocals on the "we are stars" part is to trebbly and not on consistant with the rest of the song in terms of volume. 2nd half of the song saves the first half. Jimmy's offbeat breaks towards the end are a very welcome touched. (see 2:39) 2/5 (last half 4/5)"

United States - I'm giving this a 5, but some of the vocal elements could've been a little less cheesy. What's with the "la la la"??? The wankery is still a bit boring, but as I've mentioned in other threads before, it's totally worth waiting through to get to the ending. 5/5

Neverlost - While Billy may have learned to control his synths (and, in turn, making them sound pretty decent), I can see myself skipping over this track quite often in the future. Pretty straightforward and sometimes monotonous. 2/5

Bring the Light - This one seems like filler to me...and, wow, is that Brian May? 2/5

Come On Let's Go - Ahhhh, here we go. The album picks back up. I like this song a lot. I'm not sure what else to say about it...not nearly as cheesy as the title suggests, but maybe Billy should have picked something else to avoid the wrong impression nearly everyone had. 4/5

For God + Country - Again, much better than the live version, and I did like the acoustic premiere of it. I agree that the second half dwarfs the first. It gets a lot better as it goes on, but the first half is still weak enough to earn a 3/5 as a whole

Pomp and Circumstances - aka "French Movie Theme (alternate take feat. Brian May)" 1/5

OVERALL
43/60

Despite the TFE vocals that we are inevitably cursed with from now on, I think Zeitgeist makes the Pumpkins' comeback worth it.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:24 PM   #41
theeggofhope
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkPhuoko
I think a lot of people are of the opinion

Zeitgeist Studio > Zeitgeist Live
I don't know about that...
I was at the shows on the 26th and 27th at the Orange Peel
live United states blows away the album version...
Bleeding the Orchid, Doomsday Clock and Neverlost are as good live as they are on the album...
Starz and For God and Country are better live in my opinion...
Come on lets go is better on the album and so is Thats the Way...
we haven't heard Bring the Light or Pomp and Circumstances live yet...
and tarantula kicks ass live and on the album...
7 Shades of Black is a little better on the album than it is live...

Old 06-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #42
Rider
Minion of Satan

Ok it's gets better with Bring The light.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:27 PM   #43
Rider
Minion of Satan

God lyrics are so horribly repetitive though

Old 06-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #44
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Another thing.... since when does billy name nearly ever track after the hook?

Old 06-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #45
caliphornia
Ownz

i think bring the light will be a single eventually. and a worthy one at that

Old 06-30-2007, 10:30 PM   #46
Rider
Minion of Satan

Come on lets go... Holy EMO Batman!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 PM   #47
brillo998
Ownz

bleed the orchid and united states are my favorite. i like neverlost too; way more than most people are.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 PM   #48
Rider
Minion of Satan

Everyone who compared For God and Country to NIN, should be shot in the fucking head!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:33 PM   #49
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

For me...

MCIS
SD
Zeitgeist
Adore
Machina
Gish
Machina II

Old 06-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #50
spidrr
Ownz

Bring the fucking Light. This is the only song so far ive been REALLY wowed by. Really pissed they cut the end solo in bleeding the orchid. I know its there, but its overpowered by Billys vox.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #51
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
Everyone who compared For God and Country to NIN, should be shot in the fucking head!
What? Who said that?

Old 06-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #52
Rider
Minion of Satan

Why did he put 2 TFE outtakes on the end of this album. First listen good album, Half great, half good, a few I'll never listen to again. Kind of on par with Machina.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:37 PM   #53
spidrr
Ownz

You know, Im gonna say this. Ive been thinking about it. Billy once said, whatever they put out we all hate it and end up loving it 5 years later. He likes to put out music the farthest from our expectations. Its true. I guarantee we all love Zeitgeist in 3-4 years.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:37 PM   #54
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilstead
What? Who said that?

Like 2-3 people who had advance copies.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #55
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I resfuse to listen to Zeitgesit until I have a copy of the CD in my hand. However, I am ecstatic about the fact that the usually hateful Netphoria seems to dig this album. 3rd best The Smashing Pumpkins have ever done...? I can live with that!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #56
WhiteHotSoul
Pledge

Bring the Light is ROCKING; great build-up, AWESOME BRIDGE....FUCKIN' SOLO!

Definite single.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #57
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs
I resfuse to listen to Zeitgesit until I have a copy of the CD in my hand. However, I am ecstatic about the fact that the usually hateful Netphoria seems to dig this album. 3rd best The Smashing Pumpkins have ever done...? I can live with that!

listening to 7 years of dog shit from billy will jade you a little bit

Old 06-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #58
Martyr
m o n o c h r o m e

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkPhuoko
Another thing.... since when does billy name nearly ever track after the hook?

since MSOTS but never an SP album.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #59
brillo998
Ownz

zeitgeist > machina. thats all i can say.

on the other hand... everlasting gaze > first 2 singles off zeitgeist.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #60
Mr.Deadite
Pledge

Doomsday Clock - I didn't like this song at all when I first heard it. The vocal melody was a bit lazy, but the riff was decent. It got better with repeated listens, but not by a whole lot. The "hook" is awful. (2/5)

7 Shades of Black - This song kicks ass. It should've been the album opener. It's similar to the rocking of Doomsday Clock and Tarantula, but it takes a step further. The riff kicks ass, and Jimmy's drumming is great as usual. This is one of the best songs on the album. (5/5)

Bleeding the Orchid - The song comes with a dark feel right away. Very relaxed verse with a mellow chorus. I like it a lot. It's a pretty great song. (5/5)

That's The Way (My Love Is) - Really upbeat song. It comes out feeling like Zwan right away. It's easy to see why it's the next single. The bass line is pretty good. It all comes together pretty nicely. It's kind of a typical post-2000 Billy vocal, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but is definitely not a great thing. This doesn't detract a whole lot, however, and the end product is a quality song. (4/5)

Tarantula - We've all heard this by now. It's not as shitty as we expected, it's rocking, great guitar leads, blah blah blah. Loads better than Doomsday Clock.(4/5)

Starz - This would be my favorite song on the album if it weren't for terrible vocal production. The layering doesn't work, and the vocals are just too loud. Despite this, it's still definitely one of the better tracks on the album. The score is relative to the rest of the album. Against their back catalogue, it's less than a 5, but only because of the vocals. (5/5)

United States - It seems XYU-esque to me. Disagree if you want, it's just the impression that I get. I really dig it. Love the breakdown at the end. Very powerful. (4/5)

Neverlost - Hmm, sounds like an unused TFE song, but it's definitely better than the songs on that album. It'd probably be a lot worse were it electronic drums. Jimmy's drumming really carries the song. It's great. The rest of the song isn't quite on par, however. One of the weaker songs on the album. (3/5)

Bring the Light - I like the opening. The lead guitar sounds almost like Coldplay. That's not in a bad way, though. It definitely works. I like the chorus, it's very catchy. The verses build up to it nicely, giving a sense of anticipation. Catchier than Tarantula and Doomsday Clock, in my opinion. The chorus after the solo is great. (5/5)

(Come On) Let's Go! - Feels a bit like Zero at first, but then the vocals come in. It has a decent hook. Definitely a rocking song. The solo just before 2:00 is very Zero-esque. The song has a great riff, but isn't great as a whole. The vocals melody is kind of lacking. Might grow on me. (3/5)

For God And Country - Wow. This is a lot different than the live acoustic version. It's definitely not so bland as that was. A lot different than what I expected. The guitar is very low in the mix. At about 2:15 or so, it starts to sound very Machina. This isn't necessarily bad, though. I'd still say it's one of the weaker songs. (2/5)

Pomp And Circumstances - It's like a mix between TFE and We Only Come Out At Night. The vocals aren't bad at all. Not sure how much I like that "la la's" though. Not really sold on this as an album closer. Sounds like it's more meant to be in the middle of the album as a change of pace. I usually love their album closers, but I don't love this one. I like it, though. The ending is very good, though, with the guitar solo in the background. The ending definitely makes it into a better album closer. (3.5/5)

The album is good, but definitely not great. I was listening to it in iTunes with the equalizer set to rock. This has helped the other songs thus far, and I didn't even bother to listen without it this time. There are some great songs. The vocals fall into the same pattern that they have ever since the Pumpkins first broke up. Billy's vocal melodies are just so damn bland and his delivery doesn't help either. It was the main problem, in my opinion with TFE. The music is generally great, though, and it's pushed over the top by Jimmy's excellent drumming.

Final Score: 45.5/60 (75.8%)