Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Default Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby - wow

This movie has a full-fledged Applebee's commercial during it.

Kill me.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
ammy
yer mom

but was the movie at all entertaining.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Geek USA
car wash cunt

Hahahahahahah

YOU BELONG AT APPLEBEES

Old 08-06-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Voice Implodes
Minion of Satan

i've been wanting to see this. is it good?

(in other words, what ammy said.)

Old 08-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

It was, um, not good. It had some really funny parts - but they were far outnumbered by completely unfunny shit that was pointless.

Plus it was two hours long - 40 minutes should've been cut.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
ammy
yer mom

i'm not sure what your movie preference is to begin with. i do not know i if can trust your opinion.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #7
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Ravenguy, Ugly and I basically are the same person, movie-wise, if that helps any.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #8
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

uuuh

Old 08-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
ammy
yer mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk
Ravenguy, Ugly and I basically are the same person, movie-wise, if that helps any.

nah, not really.
oh well.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #10
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I can't believe people expected that movie to be at all good. Come on, it looked ridiculous. Sure, it may have been slightly humorous at times or perhaps entertaining as the plot picked up, but there's absolutely no chance in hell it will have any socially redeeming quality or anything like that. Really, to those who haven't seen it, how good do you seriously think it will be?

Old 08-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
ammy
yer mom

you make it sound like stupid humor is inexcusable

Old 08-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #12
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammy
you make it sound like stupid humor is inexcusable
Not at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp
Sure, it may have been slightly humorous at times or perhaps entertaining as the plot picked up, but there's absolutely no chance in hell it will have any socially redeeming quality or anything like that.
I said those parts will be entertaining, but it'll still be a stupid movie. I don't have to see it to know that, though it may be comical at times, it won't really be a classic or a shining beacon of higher movie standards in quality of production, filming, or acting. It'll just be another movie with dumb humor.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #13
ammy
yer mom

you are very bitter

Old 08-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #14
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

...You see right through me.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #15
yo soy el mejor

o_O

Old 08-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #16
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
I can't believe people expected that movie to be at all good. Come on, it looked ridiculous. Sure, it may have been slightly humorous at times or perhaps entertaining as the plot picked up, but there's absolutely no chance in hell it will have any socially redeeming quality or anything like that. Really, to those who haven't seen it, how good do you seriously think it will be?
Neither did Old School, but it was good.
Neither did Elf, but it was good.
Neither did Anchorman, but it was good.
Neither did Kids, but it was good.
Neither did A Clockwork Orange, but it was good.

You need to shut the fuck up.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #17
Toby

kids was a great movie.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #18
I'm Hardcore
Banned

ARGGHHHH FUCKING SERVER!!!!!! NEXT TIME SERVER IS BUSY IM GOING TO LOSE IT!!! FUCKING PIECE OF C-GRADE INTERNET SHIT!!

Old 08-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #19
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
Neither did Old School, but it was good.
Neither did Elf, but it was good.
Neither did Anchorman, but it was good.
Neither did Kids, but it was good.
Neither did A Clockwork Orange, but it was good.

You need to shut the fuck up.
and you've listed Anchorman and Old School as being good movies, so shut the fuck up yourself

Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #20
neopryn
let's see your penis!

Kids fucking sucked.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:02 AM   #21
I'm Hardcore
Banned

and Kids

Old 08-07-2006, 12:04 AM   #22
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
it won't really be a classic or a shining beacon of higher movie standards in quality of production, filming, or acting. It'll just be another movie with dumb humor.
uh.

it's been said, but what is your point here?

Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 AM   #23
neopryn
let's see your penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore
and you've listed Anchorman and Old School as being good movies, so shut the fuck up yourself
eat shit

Old 08-07-2006, 12:11 AM   #24
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopryn
Kids fucking sucked.
did it really? i've read mostly good things. i was going to rent it.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:57 AM   #25
Axis of Action
Socialphobic

Kids is pretty great.

I have no legs!

Old 08-07-2006, 01:54 AM   #26
neopryn
let's see your penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy
did it really? i've read mostly good things. i was going to rent it.
if you want to see snot-nosed little shits swear and do drugs and talk about sex for 90 minutes it would be great. i can see that shit without leaving my own fucking house.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:16 AM   #27
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore
Exactly. Your taste in movies clearly blows if you think Anchorman should be on the same list of "good"ness as A Clockwork Orange. Furthermore, A Clockwork Orange actually had depth.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:19 AM   #28
slanky

Quote:
This movie has a full-fledged Applebee's commercial during it.

Kill me.
I once vomited in an Applebee's bathroom after consuming some of their spinach artichoke dip.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:34 AM   #29
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

COULD USE MORE FUNNY FUEL
** out of *****

There's this really great joke on Family Guy about Will Farrell. Stewie is watching the remake of Bewitched and sees a lame joke. He flies all the way down to L.A. to ring Will Farrell's doorbell. Farrell opens up the door and Stewie immediately smacks the crap out of him, snarling, "That's NOT FUNNY!" You kind of feel like doing what Stewie did after watching Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. The movie is like watching somebody bang their head against the wall repeatedly to get a chuckle. You may laugh at it once in awhile but overall it's just painful.

Directed by Adam McKay (Anchorman and 40 Year Old Virgin), and co-written by Will Farrell, Talladega Nights feels like Anchorman, but significantly not as funny. This is probably because Farrell's performance in Anchorman was bizarrely original and bombastically pompous. Everything that Ron Burgundy said dripped with such gusto it made his pronouncements sound iconic while he was spewing gibberish. The movie followed suit with a loose cartoony reality that mirrored the lead character. Against all odds, Anchorman held together and worked.

Talladega Nights doesn't work, mainly because Ricky Bobby isn't as strangely compelling a protagonist as Burgundy was. Talladega doesn't have that elastic Looney Tunes vibe that the previous film did In Anchorman, people spontaneously busted out into song, or had gigantic newsmen brawls, or summoned people with conches, and a lot more wacky stuff. Talladega is stubbornly earthbound and completely misses the strangely endearing touch that made Anchorman so much fun.

Yes, it sounds unfair to compare Talladega so closely to Anchorman, but, I mean, come on! They're both done by the exact same crew, share a lot of the same actors, and has the same improvisational style from the aforementioned movie. Hell, even both the titles sound the same. It’s about as close as a direct sequel can get. It simply doesn't measure up.

The plot is about Ricky Bobby (Farrell), a hillbilly NASCAR racecar driver who is the best driver in the land, along with his best friend and perpetual runner up, Carl Naughton Jr. (John C. Riley). Their domination is challenged when the French driver Jean Girard (Sacha Baron Cohen) ends Ricky Bobby's unbeaten streak. Bobby is disgraced, hospitalized, then eventually has to relearn his need for speed to win the day. If this all sounds familiar to you, the plot loosely follows the same storyline as that car racing *cough* classic *cough* Days of Thunder. Also, it’s the same damn sports movie plot that we've seen in every sports movie ever.

As mentioned above, Farrell's Ricky Bobby is nowhere near the comic creation that Ron Burgundy was. Bobby is basically just talking like George W. Bush and yelling a lot. While the character is rather boring, it's hard to not get a laugh out of Farrell every once in awhile. Farrell is a definite improvisational talent. Even when he's missing every once in awhile he scores gold. The problem is the ratio of laughs to non-laughs is slanted more in the later category.

John C. Riley, usually a character actor reserved for dark and dramatic supporting roles, is the comedic foil as Ricky Bobby's buddy. Riley isn't bad, but he seems out of his element when up against some comedic regulars. Sometimes casting against type works, but Riley’s case you're just wondering why they didn't' cast a comedic regular, lets say Rob Schneider, in a role that probably could have gotten more laughs than what it did.

There is some great supporting work in here from two individuals in particular, but their work also highlight's the movie's main problem: if the lead actor is being shown up in a movie where the majority of the laughs are supposed to be his, then you've got a problem.

Sacha Cohen is Jean the openly gay French autoracer and Bobby's nemesis. Cohen, a genuine comedic talent previously seen as Ali G and Borat on Da Ali G Show, steals every scene that he's in. Cohen's impenetrable accent, clichéd mannerisms and complete lack of anything resembling humanity makes for a very funny comedic bad guy. He's one of the funniest things in the movie, and watching his performance makes you wish his upcoming Borat movie was in theatres a lot sooner.

Different, but still very funny, is Gary Cole as Ricky Bobby's absent and transient father, Reese Bobby. Cole stumbles about drunkenly, slurring and raging at everything in sight. It's a gloriously over-the-top white trash parody, but he sells it with such fearless enthusiasm (something that is missing from Farrell's performance). What's best about the movie is that it steadfastly refuses the humanize Reese Bobby. Any time you think you're going to get a group-hug moment, Cole does something happily narcissistic. Both Cohen and Cole's roles are actual characters -- this contrasts sharply with the blandness of Farrell's lead.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby is a disappointment. Will Farrell has been way overexposed and in a lot of very crappy movies lately, but this was supposed to be a return to form - a film directly from his comedic brain to the audience. Sadly, it really isn't that funny. Watching the supporting cast running circles around Will Farrell it makes you wonder if he was really all that good to begin with.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:47 AM   #30
bob_cock
Demi-God

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby
kids was a great movie.

advocating the spread of HIV to virgins = !!!!!!!!!!