Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
Grant V
Pledge

Lightbulb Zeitgeist > Siamese Dream, Gish

Here’s my claim about Zeitgeist: Better than Siamese Dream or Gish.

Here’s my bold follow-up: Almost any musicologist would agree with my viewpoint. (i.e. if we look at the actual compositions… the novelty of the harmonies, the skillful use of counterpoint, the way the songs take a theme and develop it, or take two themes and integrate them, etc.)

If we look past little sticking points like whether a certain B-side should have made the cut, or whether the vocals are mixed a little too loud, I think it’s clear that Zietgeist shows a world-class composer on top of his game.

Why did I compare Siamese Dream unfavorably? I think Siamese Dream is a sort of “early Zeitgeist” - it’s simpler in general (i.e. the song structures, the fact that “Soma” is only three chords + a middle 8 riff). Sure, some songs like “Geek USA” are masterpieces, but Zeitgeist shows a similar (if more subtly expressed) ability to take themes and live with them, to really develop them. Most of the songs on the album border on being through-composed. Another song that strikes me as a characteristic “early work” - “Silverfuck”. Sure, it’s long, but it’s repetitive and it takes a long time getting there. It’s a bit reliant on gimmicks like the spoken-word introduction or the reverse echo effect to hold one’s interest. Something “poppy” on Zeitgeist like “That’s the Way” achieves just as many breakthrough moments in far less time - i.e. it is the work of a more mature writer (not a “tired old man”!)

The songs on Gish are very knotty and take alot of strange turns, but I’m just not sold that the raw material of the harmonies, riffs, melody lines (and texture ideas) are as compelling as what is on Zeitgeist.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Lightbulb

thanks for letting us know.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Mo
Immortal

LOL.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

No. Just...no.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
thomas_bland
Ownz

Grant V = Mad

Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Zeitgeist is the best album ever recorded.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
OwenWilsonsNose
Demi-God

You know, I actually like zeitgeist, but I saw the title of the thread and immediately knew it was a cry for help. Call 1-800-DONT-JUMP.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

quite preposterous.

so, i guess corgan professor'd all the music out of zeitgeist; glad he knew so little back in '93!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
KManXC
Ownz

I thought C_Wilson was banned?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
slunken
Virgo

I've read this somewhere else...

Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
slunken
Virgo

A long time ago...

Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
brutechinasky
Demi-God

yeah, and my dick is bigger than john holmes'

Old 08-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
suncrashesdown
Apocalyptic Poster

false, but fun to pretend

Old 08-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
Panthalassa
Pledge

...Oops, I Did It Again > Machina. Any Capitalist would agree with my viewpoint.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #16
redbull
Immortal

someone really needs to ban c_wilson's ip range

Old 08-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #17
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.

lol no, just no

Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #18
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

haha "musicologist" what the shit

Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #19
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Location: I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

the only thing a musicologist would agree with is that zeitgeist is a digitally produced turd that underwhelms to the point of almost total disinterest

Old 08-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #20
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant V View Post

Here’s my bold follow-up: Almost any musicologist would agree with my viewpoint. (i.e. if we look at the actual compositions… the novelty of the harmonies, the skillful use of counterpoint, the way the songs take a theme and develop it, or take two themes and integrate them, etc.)

If we look past little sticking points like whether a certain B-side should have made the cut, or whether the vocals are mixed a little too loud, I think it’s clear that Zietgeist shows a world-class composer on top of his game.

Why did I compare Siamese Dream unfavorably? I think Siamese Dream is a sort of “early Zeitgeist” - it’s simpler in general (i.e. the song structures, the fact that “Soma” is only three chords + a middle 8 riff). Sure, some songs like “Geek USA” are masterpieces, but Zeitgeist shows a similar (if more subtly expressed) ability to take themes and live with them, to really develop them. Most of the songs on the album border on being through-composed. Another song that strikes me as a characteristic “early work” - “Silverfuck”. Sure, it’s long, but it’s repetitive and it takes a long time getting there. It’s a bit reliant on gimmicks like the spoken-word introduction or the reverse echo effect to hold one’s interest. Something “poppy” on Zeitgeist like “That’s the Way” achieves just as many breakthrough moments in far less time - i.e. it is the work of a more mature writer (not a “tired old man”!)

The songs on Gish are very knotty and take alot of strange turns, but I’m just not sold that the raw material of the harmonies, riffs, melody lines (and texture ideas) are as compelling as what is on Zeitgeist.

There is something that Zeitgeist lacks and that is irreplaceable - emotion. I don't care if musically Corgan is some super composer now as opposed to then (which he obviously isn't).

Not sure why I am responding to this obvious troll but whatever

Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #21
vaccine
Pledge

zeitgeist sux tho lol

Old 08-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #22
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Also don't forget the complete lack of dynamics. Plus, vocals that were are improperly mixed are so cool.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #23
sh sh shayne
Ownz

I'm going to send this to fail blog.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #24
pyrocus
Demi-God

You have got to be fucking kidding me with this bullshit. Are you actually telling me that the compositions on Zeitgeist are more complex and well thought out than the songs on Siamese Dream? Gish?

Rhinoceros?
Soma?
Hummer?
Snail?
Suffer?
Quiet?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #25
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthalassa View Post
...Oops, I Did It Again > Machina. Any Capitalist would agree with my viewpoint.
i wouldn't go that far, but i would go as far as in the zone > machina. but it's cpt obvious to say the entire britney spears catalog >>> zeitgeist, easily.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #26
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:

http://forums.netphoria.org/customav...atar4022_6.gif .

Old 08-20-2009, 01:10 AM   #27
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Dude I really can't help but read that original post in Patrick Bateman's voice.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 AM   #28
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

fukkin Amish Rake Fighters

don't they have to make 17 posts before they can start threads?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 AM   #29
redbull
Immortal

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Couch Ass View Post
Dude I really can't help but read that original post in Patrick Bateman's voice.
do ya like huey lewis and the news?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:53 AM   #30
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.