Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 04-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
tweedyburd
Ownz

Arrow Final Metro DVD, finally?

Monte's got the scoop. How many people believe it this time?

http://www.crestfallen.com/2012/04/1...the-metro-dvd/

Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

i like how the quote he has there in text is NOT what billy said in audio

monty you are incredible. how did you fuck that up?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

because he's a motherfucking moron

<------------------------if u forgot

Old 04-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
rottenugly
Banned

GORILLA SUIT FUCKDEN BURGER KING CROWN RENDEZVOUS!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
rottenugly
Banned

Oh FFS, not you again.
Seriously, can't you find a fucking hobby?
(directed towards in b4 reprise)

Old 04-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

so if the reissues continue to come out, we still won't have the metro dvd for 2 more years

Old 04-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
iPumpkin
Ownz

An announcement of a team of 13 fucks who will later announce the announcement of the announcement of the now re-branded archive project that was previously announced in 2009. Also this all had nothing to do with the Metro show which will be released with the re-issues of Machina that was announced in early 2011.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
sniffingchimp
Ownz

Fuck the final show at this stage - lost all interest. Anyone really dying to see this?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
tweedyburd
Ownz

Arrow

At this point, it's the only unreleased thing I'd really care to see. Definitely not as anxious as I once was, but still, it's the last sequential document we have (or will have) of what the band once was.

Also, it holds sentimental value for me since I was there

I wonder if they'd 1nclude the documentary that guy was shooting during that week of final shows? I remember him coming around the hotel rooms interviewing fans, but I never knew what became of the project, if anything.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
sniffingchimp
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedyburd View Post
At this point, it's the only unreleased thing I'd really care to see. Definitely not as anxious as I once was, but still, it's the last sequential document we have (or will have) of what the band once was.

Also, it holds sentimental value for me since I was there

I wonder if they'd 1nclude the documentary that guy was shooting during that week of final shows? I remember him coming around the hotel rooms interviewing fans, but I never knew what became of the project, if anything.
Well, had I been there then yeah, I'd imagine it would have far more sentimental value - and that documentary just falls into the bin of unfinished things.

Speaking of documentaries, by good fuck, I'd LOVE to see that Adore documentary that was filmed but never edited/completed.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

it will probably anticlimactic - good point

Old 04-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

By the way >>>
I want the final Metro show on Blu-ray...DVDs suck.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
Trotskilicious
Banned

why does this thing matter to you guys

Old 04-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
MusicMan4

its gonna be something i'll still watch but it's really just incredibly embarrassing that they couldn't get it out within a year of the show and i don't even accept this as real news (its on a site that jonathan monte runs) until like there's pictures of actual packaging and a trailer and it's coming from some sort of actual label
its all just bullshit

Old 04-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

So when did it start being called the "last metro" show. It was always called "the last show" wasn't it?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Don't understand why people still clamor for this either. I guess it does have a pretty good setlist and we know it was professionally recorded...but I just don't dig this live era of the band at all. Half of everything back then had annoying synth or Mike Garson wanking all over everything in the background. Half the songs were played twice as fast as usual and/or with weird alternate tunings. Billy insisted on wearing that ridiculous get-up every show. Jimmy and Billy still brought it most nights, but James's disinterest is palpable anytime you see or hear anything from the band in this era. And knowing what we do now about what went down after the show was over (James leaving without saying anything to anyone), it's probably going to be even harder not to notice it.

I suspect when this comes out there's going to be a lot of "I've been screaming for 12 years for this?" kind of reactions. Unless everyone just really wants to see Linda Strawberry do her version of To Sheila or something.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
MusicMan4

i feel fairly certain that james has never looked interested during any performance ever

Old 04-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #18
aztec litany service
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveflower View Post
i feel fairly certain that james has never looked interested during any performance ever
maybe not 'interested' but definitely fuckin cool

Old 04-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

For a lot of fans, this was the last show and especially if you were there, you want to relive the experience. It was a very emotional night (not that you could ever understand emotion), and it had a great setlist. I could go on and on but i'm not eulogy. My words are wasted on your dumb ass. Go kill yourself corganist.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

The final Metro show has one of the best moments in SP history...enough reason to want it (hopefully on Blu-ray with lossless audio), right?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #21
MusicMan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
The final Metro show has one of the best moments in SP history...
i mean yeah, why would you say that and then not mention what this amazing moment is

Old 04-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveflower View Post
i mean yeah, why would you say that and then not mention what this amazing moment is
Are you kidding?
I thought it's obvious >>>

Old 04-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #23
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
The final Metro show has one of the best moments in SP history
a "final show" for a band that didn't play its final show?

i fail to see the significance

Old 04-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
thomas_bland
Ownz

I think I'd rather see Arising show footage, that being said the scale of the Metro show alone will make it worthwhile.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #25
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I still look forward to seeing this, but I agree with a lot of what has been said above. It's been so long at this point (by the time it comes out, the show will have been 13-15 years ago) that it has lost some of it's value to me as the holy grail of Pumpkins material. It also feels like it has been made less important because of the reformation and the subsequent shit that material has taken all over the classic era stuff. These days I would be more interested in seeing Corgan break out of his funk and write something engaging again.

having said that, it is still the capstone to a 12 year run of fantastic music by one of the greatest bands of all time, and I would be lying to say I will not be very excited to finally see it. I hope they don't edit anything out... it will only feel authentic if the false starts and banter are in there, as well as b0lly crying like a babby at the end

Old 04-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Interesting read...I didn't know that he wanted to release it in 2001 >>>

Quote:
Though Corgan has soldiered on alone with the band name, for better or worse, on the anniversary of what many consider to be the last legitimate gasp of the band, Billy took to Facebook to reflect and share the story of his experience at the “final” gig. In the process, he expressed a level of reflective humility, recalling the band’s “journey of death” and wishing he’d embraced the moment when he broke down crying onstage – while reminding us all that he’s more than happy with the current state of Smashing Pumpkins affairs.

Firstly, he recalled how the band prepared for the 4-hour long set, with nearly 40 songs: ”First thing that comes to mind is that we only had about 6 days to prepare the about 14 or so extra songs that we added to try to make the show both historic and memorable. normally this much work in such a short time would have been met with resistance, but everyone was in good spirits to have the 11 months of touring finally over.”

He also commented on his idea to record a new album during the band’s final stretch, which was met with resistance by other band members: “My original plan was to book the metro out for the whole month of January and make one last album, writing songs and recording them live in rehearsal and then playing them at night at the ‘shows’…can’t remember how many shows we would have done per week? Maybe 3 or 4. [James] Iha and [Melissa] Auf Der Maur hated the idea and said no. A shame, could have been amazing. Band was tight at that point and i was motivated to write more.”

About the Metro show itself, he recalls the night’s awkward beginnings:

“We had been opening with 5 songs acoustic in Europe as a way to set a different tone because each night the audience was thinking they were seeing the band for the last time. there the audiences went with the somber beginning, and so i stupidly assumed that an American audience would go the same way with it. Wrong! once we finally lit it up with ‘glass’ theme (song 6) the place went nuts.

“We played 38 songs i believe, over 4 hours of music. i had never played that long before, nor have i since. i wasn’t even sure my voice would hold up that long, but it did. actually it got stronger as the night went on. The first song was ‘rocket’, which we were supposed to play after the mellon collie theme intro, which was played off a cd. the theme finished, i lit into the opening riff of ‘rocket’.

“Unfortunately, no one turned off the cd, , so as i was playing i heard ‘tonight, tonight’ come blaring out of the p.a….classic SP fuck-up for trying to be fancy. the show as i remember was fairly good, but incredibly hot and at about 90 min in the crowd was just totally worn out. i thoughtto myself ‘wow, we got a long way to go!’

“Act 2 honestly felt like a sad funeral, and people started talking. i felt the whole thing slipping away from me, but i realized that it was all part of the journey of death that we were on. life moves on, and when the show was over i too had to move on. i honestly thought that it would be the last time i would play most of these songs, and it felt good to let them go.

“Act three was designed to bring the energy back up, and it did. the last encore i think was ‘silverfuck’, which had a lot of improvisation in it. it wasn’t all planned out, and i remember thinking of my deceased mother alot. it all came down to ‘where was mommy?’ in the end of it all, as it begins so does it end. i turned to look at Jimmy and said ‘that’s it’, and it ended without form best as i remember.

“I broke down on stage crying but i remember being quite embarassed about it. i’ve thought about that moment many times, and i wish in hindsight that i’d let myself just have a good cry right then and there, because you won’t find yourself in a spot like that many times in your life. after we had a little party, playing dvd bootlegs of the band on a screen on stage.

“Once it was over, there was a shift, so playing the videos felt like watching a car crash again and again. it was overkill for everyone, including me. pictures and Chopin would have been better. i asked where James was, and someone had said he had left, without saying goodbye to me or Jimmy, a real final fuck you in my eyes. outside of a phone conversation about business in 2001, i haven’t seen him since

About the possibility of releasing the final show, Corgan added:

“One more thing: please stop asking about the show ever coming out (i say this good heartedly). it will come out when the time is right. it should have come out in 2001 but EMI squashed it, and we got the rights back. hopefully it will be put out one day when all the albums get re-issued. it would make sense for it to come out with the Machina era stuff.”

Corgan reunited the band in 2005 with only half of its original lineup before soldiering on entirely alone, and has since been recording songs that completely fail to hold a candle to the old Pumpkins. He finished by saying:

“I think as more time goes by we all should look at SP as having 2 totally different eras, ‘old school’ and ‘new school’ or whatever. call it what you want, the SP of 2005-2010 and counting has been a different animal, albeit with similar goals set in a different world. “‘old’ SP ended exactly 10 years ago this night, and it a’int ever coming back. from my vantage point, that’s a good thing. that band will never sell out and never grow old gracefully (because honestly it couldn’t). long live SP 1987-2000 a great fucking band when it was ‘on’. and a nightmare when it was ‘off’. thanks for checking out these thoughts/memories, love BC”
Source:
http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2010/1...ns-show-metro/

Old 04-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #27
Trotskilicious
Banned

it's almost like trying to pretend that jordan's last play was stealing the ball from karl malone and winning game 6 of the 98 finals

Old 04-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #28
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3...k3zfo1_250.jpg

Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #29
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

this picture always gets to me. in a good way

Old 04-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #30
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald idiot
that band will never sell out and never grow old gracefully (because honestly it couldn’t).
hahaha what the fuck does this even mean

the guy is such a dipshit