Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2002, 06:11 PM   #1
Smiley

Arrow underrated SP songs

Why Am I So Tired - definitely an underrated song! But you gotta love that crazy soloing. Everybody, listen to it now.

There are also some great songs on MP, but you bastards never notice them because you're too busy fastforwarding to Moleasskiss. Everybody get out your CD-R's, and listen to the whole disc this time. Don't get me wrong... Moleasskiss is a great song. But I'd say the rest of the disc doesn't get the attention it deserves. Well maybe Mayonaise does, but you know what I mean.

Okay class... now what songs do you think?

------------------
"love does not always have to be quiet and graceful, it can be boisterous and loud and even rude, to shout above the din to be heard sometimes... if only to bring a little peace" -bc
http://www.suicidekiss.org

Old 01-31-2002, 06:38 PM   #2
poised like an angel

I say definitely Jesus is the Sun. Such a great song, as mellow and soothing as Rhinoceros without the heavy part.

Old 01-31-2002, 06:48 PM   #3
CrestfallenTear

Ditto

not to mention There it Goes, Crush, Luna, Night Mare and With Every Light

Old 01-31-2002, 06:55 PM   #4
Jaggie

Farewell & Goodnight, Moleasskiss, Stars Fall In.

------------------
-Life is so strange
-The stars fall in
AIM: Jaggie67
All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed.

"I would like to thank you, for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express. Departure time always arrival time never....We are and always will be the Smashing Pumpkins..."

Old 01-31-2002, 06:59 PM   #5
Mayfuck

Thumbs up

Alot of the pre-Gish stuff is overlooked. Jesus Is the Sun, already mentioned. Translucent is also a great song, atypical of the SP era it was recorded in. I love the way that song floats, and, jeez, a harmonica for fuck's sake!

Stars Fall In! When I first heard this song, I immediately put it on repeat. How about the 10.05.88 version of Under Your Spell which is louder, more dissonant and better than the studio version? East is almost as good as Cherub Rock.

And the most underrated pre-Gish song of all: Psychodelic. Pumpkins first attempt at making an epic song, and they hit the nail on the head.

Old 01-31-2002, 07:36 PM   #6
NegaBenji

Quote:
Originally posted by Mayfuck:
Alot of the pre-Gish stuff is overlooked. Jesus Is the Sun, already mentioned. Translucent is also a great song, atypical of the SP era it was recorded in. I love the way that song floats, and, jeez, a harmonica for fuck's sake!

Stars Fall In! When I first heard this song, I immediately put it on repeat. How about the 10.05.88 version of Under Your Spell which is louder, more dissonant and better than the studio version? East is almost as good as Cherub Rock.

And the most underrated pre-Gish song of all: Psychodelic. Pumpkins first attempt at making an epic song, and they hit the nail on the head.
Yes to this, and Cinder too - I love how that song flows. The alt. version of Smiley is infinitely better than the Peel Sessions release, it actually does the song justice. With You and Egg are great little acoustic songs too - they seem to capture the spirit of sp as a band

------------------
blue stars are bad

Old 01-31-2002, 07:54 PM   #7
Translucence

Not Worth Asking

Old 01-31-2002, 07:57 PM   #8
StillBecomingApart

Shame, Window Paine, HEllo Kitty Kat

------------------
<dndmepunk> you can't use english correctly but you know how to say fuck you, i find that funny
<dndmepunk> if you don't know english, you at least know fuck you
<dndmepunk> i don't know italian....i don't know italian bad words either

http://www.IofTheMourning.com/images/excel.jpg http://www.IofTheMourning.com/images/hayat.jpg http://www.IofTheMourning.com/images/puchuu.jpg

Old 01-31-2002, 07:58 PM   #9
Jaggie

I agree with Mayfuck, Under Your Spell (in all its variations - live/studio) is just awesome.

Old 01-31-2002, 08:21 PM   #10
the everlasting J

East!!!!

"if i had a way to go, id gather up my throwning stones!"

Old 01-31-2002, 08:32 PM   #11
spaceboy147

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaggie:
Stars Fall In.

Amen.

Old 01-31-2002, 09:14 PM   #12
paranoid

Infinite Sadness

i was listening to a lot of the old stuff today, coincidentally, and yes, EAST.

Egg
Purr Snikety
Bullet Train to Osaka

bunches!

------------------
Dinner ready is Pizza?!

Old 01-31-2002, 09:40 PM   #13
Smiley

Thumbs up

Quote:
See, I don't think Stars Fall In and East are underrated... people are always praising them as the best '89 demos. But I definitely agree with what you said about Translucent... a harmonica part, and don't forget the little xylophone ending!

Another underrated song is Speed... not the Gravity Demos version, but live at the Double Door shows. What a great song. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

------------------
"love does not always have to be quiet and graceful, it can be boisterous and loud and even rude, to shout above the din to be heard sometimes... if only to bring a little peace" -bc

Old 01-31-2002, 09:53 PM   #14
Cactuar

It's all about jesus is the sun.

Old 01-31-2002, 10:37 PM   #15
Mayfuck

Damn, I forgot about Egg. That song is better than half the songs on Gish. *nod*

Old 01-31-2002, 10:58 PM   #16
autumnNOCTURNE

Slow Dawn.

Old 01-31-2002, 11:11 PM   #17
the_marked

Death of a Mind (marked)
Galapogos
The aeroplane flies high
pennies

Old 01-31-2002, 11:18 PM   #18
Andrew Fogelsong

Blue
Hummer
Soothe
Frail and Bedazzled
Jellybelly
Behold! The Nightmare

Old 01-31-2002, 11:22 PM   #19
Mayfuck

Uh, alot of those are OVERRATED

Old 01-31-2002, 11:26 PM   #20
Smiley

I feel like such an idiot... how could I forget Offer Up! Oh, and all of the Gravity Demos. Except for Jackboot... that one seems to get the love it deserves thanks to Vieuphoria.

And I actually think Drain is underrated, but I can see why some people don't like it... it took a while to grow on me.

------------------

Old 01-31-2002, 11:28 PM   #21
Stearnsie

I would have to say... most of the songs from Pisces.

Old 01-31-2002, 11:42 PM   #22
paranoid

Arrow

Laugh

and i have to say it, sparrow. yep. i've heard a lot of negativity towards this song so that's why i say "underated."

[This message has been edited by paranoid (edited 01-31-2002).]

Old 01-31-2002, 11:47 PM   #23
snickerdoodles

#1 underrated pre-gish song: With You

------------------
.....Then they went new wave and broke up because they were afraid of Britney.

I'm so goth, I don't say "black," I say "blahhwwwkkk."

Old 01-31-2002, 11:47 PM   #24
Mayfuck

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley:
I feel like such an idiot... how could I forget Offer Up! Oh, and all of the Gravity Demos. Except for Jackboot... that one seems to get the love it deserves thanks to Vieuphoria.

And I actually think Drain is underrated, but I can see why some people don't like it... it took a while to grow on me.

Yeah, there are SO many SP songs that go unmentioned. I agree with Drain, Laugh and the Gravity Demos, ESPECIALLY Lucky Lad, Dizzle, Weeping Willowly and that one James track.

Just Between - Underrated Starchildren performance. I prefer the way the verse is sung as oppposed to the official Here Is No Why. That, coupled with the way the last chorus is song in the HINW MCIS demos would make a great track.

Autumn - I cannot emphasize this enough.

No one EVER mentions the last track on the MCIS electric demos that ended up being Permanence. Pretty stuff.

How about some James tracks? Bells, Winter, Falling, Take Care and My Advice all get thumbs up from me.

Old 01-31-2002, 11:52 PM   #25
Smiley

Quote:
ended up being Permanence
http://www.emotioneric.com/intrigue.jpg

------------------

Old 01-31-2002, 11:55 PM   #26
Mayfuck

Listen to it!

Old 02-01-2002, 12:02 AM   #27
twice

Quote:
Uh, alot of those are OVERRATED

Old 02-01-2002, 12:09 AM   #28
Slurpee

Sweet, Sweet
(really emotional, but it gets bashed because it's "too short")

In the Arms of Sleep
(I did a good thread about that one, it has a great feeling/creepy tone to it)

Cherry
(Seems to not be mentioned except in threads specifically about b-sides or TAFH; I think it has some of Billy's coolest lyrics)

To Forgive
(This song is special because it's not special - it just sets a wonderful atmosphere, and it has some great subtle drum/bass work)

------------------
http://www.iceage.org/slurpattsig.jpg

Suck on this.

Old 02-01-2002, 12:11 AM   #29
glued_on_wings

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaggie:
Farewell & Goodnight, Moleasskiss, Stars Fall In.

All great songs..

Rock On..

------------------
- I use music as some kind of weird salvation to get away from life... -
-We will miss you!! The Smashing Pumpkins (1988-2000) -

Sad Machines Audio Archive
Glued On Wings FTP

Old 02-01-2002, 01:20 AM   #30
carter

Apparently Rocket and Muzzle. Why was Landslide chosen for the compilation CD instead of one of the latter? For christ sakes, its a fucking cover.

Chris Carter
[email protected]