Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-15-2007, 04:08 AM   #151
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i have the infamous and i've listened to it twice.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:09 AM   #152
Trotskilicious
Banned

i have a problem with the fact that mobb deep goes to art school and then fronts like hardcore thugs off album. I mean if you want to front on album then by all means do so.

Hip Hop needs a David Bowie.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #153
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Art school or not they have some of the darkest shit hip hop has ever come accross

Old 09-15-2007, 08:27 AM   #154
Trotskilicious
Banned

yeah i know, and probably because of.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #155
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans anatomy
liquid swords elevates hip hop to a new artform, it is purity
Disagree.. There is definitely filler in Liquid Swords... and I really don't think it's better than Enter the 36 Chambers. It's just not. I appreciate complimenting an album by way of hyperbole, but come on, man. It's probably worlds ahead of what's popular right now, obviously--kanye/50 cent-- but you can't be mad at mainstream for not appreciating Genius (pun?).

Old 09-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #156
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

4th chamber alone makes liquid sword a classic tho its pretty much a wutang song

Old 09-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #157
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Surprised no ones mentioning anything older than 91 or so ( mentioned eric b and rakim)

Run DMC tougher than leather is a classic.... beats to the rhyme is such a wicked fucking tune

little public enemy mention (it takes a nation anyone?)

Old 09-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #158
sans anatomy
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando
Disagree.. There is definitely filler in Liquid Swords... and I really don't think it's better than Enter the 36 Chambers. It's just not. I appreciate complimenting an album by way of hyperbole, but come on, man. It's probably worlds ahead of what's popular right now, obviously--kanye/50 cent-- but you can't be mad at mainstream for not appreciating Genius (pun?).
filler? nah. what you mean is, you dont like it as much because it doesnt have the catch phrase hooks like CREAM and shit that 36 has.

i mean, if youre gonna put words in my mouth, i can return the favor lol... i didnt say shit about comparing it to todays hip hop, or anything about the mainstream not getting it, or whatever

im just playin. sort of. its not a real passionate cause of mine or anything. just as i said man, it elevates hip hop to another level. its pure art. if you dont get it, sucks to be you i guess

Old 09-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #159
ChaosEffect
Apocalyptic Poster

I agree with lot of rap albums having filler. Example: The Love Below/SpeakerBoxx heh it would have made a good album as a single disc. So how bout this top 10 artists.
10. Mos Def
9. Wu Tang Clan
8. Notorious BIG
7. Outkast
6. Jedi Mind Tricks
5. Immortal Technique
4. Public Enemy
3. Tupac
2. Nas
1. NWA

Old 09-15-2007, 10:44 PM   #160
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Non Phixion

Old 09-16-2007, 12:30 AM   #161
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkPhuoko
Surprised no ones mentioning anything older than 91 or so ( mentioned eric b and rakim)

Run DMC tougher than leather is a classic.... beats to the rhyme is such a wicked fucking tune

little public enemy mention (it takes a nation anyone?)
yeah i mean there were great MCs back in the day, but one problem that i have when i'm getting into the old school is that the production has aged poorly. Also, it's almost always recycled hit songs. I mean I like EPMD's "Strictly Business" but part of that is because it's also Eric Clapton's cover of I Shot the Sherriff.

Erik B and Rakim are solid though.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:22 AM   #162
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

yeah a lot of the early def jam was absolute shit production

i think that comes down to use of breaks samples vs old drum machines 808s and what not

i think thats why a lot of the 89-94 shit is so timeles... sampling became an art at that point

Old 09-16-2007, 01:36 AM   #163
Trotskilicious
Banned

i don't think it's unfair to say that better rap doesn't rely on samples but uses them to create a more unique sound. Aquemini, for example, uses a few samples but most of the music is done by studio musicians.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:51 AM   #164
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans anatomy
filler? nah. what you mean is, you dont like it as much because it doesnt have the catch phrase hooks like CREAM and shit that 36 has.

i mean, if youre gonna put words in my mouth, i can return the favor lol... i didnt say shit about comparing it to todays hip hop, or anything about the mainstream not getting it, or whatever

im just playin. sort of. its not a real passionate cause of mine or anything. just as i said man, it elevates hip hop to another level. its pure art. if you dont get it, sucks to be you i guess
Don't patronize me, fuck face. I bought that record with my last dollar when I was 17-- back before anyone could download everything free. I am beyond intimately familiar with that record so don't act like this fucking connoisseur. ANYWAY; It doesn't have the rawness that 36 has... and catch phrase hooks?-- that's ALL Liquid Swords has, "when the M.C.'s came to..." "Well if you livin in the world today..." "I gotcha back but ya besta watch your front" the R& B hook to Cold World, etc. etc. etc.

I didn't SAY you compared it to today's hip hop. I DID. I conceded that while it's no 36 Chambers, it still kills everything that's out today. You said it's pure and I say that it's good but in my opinion (and I was damn polite, by the way) contains filler (too many clips/ B.I.B.L.E.) and therefore not the pinnacle of art you claim it to be. And you come back with some bullshit about me putting words in your mouth. Learn to read, shit stain.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:43 AM   #165
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious
i don't think it's unfair to say that better rap doesn't rely on samples but uses them to create a more unique sound. Aquemini, for example, uses a few samples but most of the music is done by studio musicians.

imo the best hip hop has and always will be equal parts production and lyrics

EricBs solo projects bombed Rakims solo cds are crap

together they formed the best thing in hip hop ever

All the wutang shit is nothing without Rzas production

The shit Redman did with Adam F is garbage same with method mans splinter shit

I think thats why Madvillain/MFdoom/Dangermouse all that shit is so appealing. Equal parts producer/lyrics. Madvillains Raid is a perfect example. Roots as well.

In the early days of hip hop the lyrics may have been spot on but the production was shit or vice versa (masta ace had some unbelievable production but shit lyrics so it was overlooked)

I dunno when i buy a hip hop cd now be it new or old I'm usually buying it based off production as well as the mc

Old 09-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #166
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I dunno when i buy a hip hop cd now be it new or old I'm usually buying it based off production as well as the mc

Yep. It's a known fact that Dre can't rap (or at least was horrible until the Chronic where he became just passable) But everybody (ESPECIALLY critics) creamed their jeans over Efel4zaggin. The production was bananas, but dre's verses are still the source of great unintentional comedy for me. "she was a HOOka, so I TOOka.."

Old 09-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #167
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
yeah a lot of the early def jam was absolute shit production

i think that comes down to use of breaks samples vs old drum machines 808s and what not

i think thats why a lot of the 89-94 shit is so timeles... sampling became an art at that point

That's kind of the charm of that early LL stuff for me... like Bad and Radio has stuff with production so bad it circles around to becoming good again! lol.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #168
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

But listen to shit like rock the bells where they started using break samples (berillium break on that tune)

fucki classic and that beat is still relevant today

Old 09-18-2007, 12:14 AM   #169
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

Totally agree... just the raw beats. I think it's that visceral element that is just so basic that it can't be outdone by gimmicky trends.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 AM   #170
sans anatomy
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando
Don't patronize me, fuck face. I bought that record with my last dollar when I was 17-- back before anyone could download everything free. I am beyond intimately familiar with that record so don't act like this fucking connoisseur. ANYWAY; It doesn't have the rawness that 36 has... and catch phrase hooks?-- that's ALL Liquid Swords has, "when the M.C.'s came to..." "Well if you livin in the world today..." "I gotcha back but ya besta watch your front" the R& B hook to Cold World, etc. etc. etc.

I didn't SAY you compared it to today's hip hop. I DID. I conceded that while it's no 36 Chambers, it still kills everything that's out today. You said it's pure and I say that it's good but in my opinion (and I was damn polite, by the way) contains filler (too many clips/ B.I.B.L.E.) and therefore not the pinnacle of art you claim it to be. And you come back with some bullshit about me putting words in your mouth. Learn to read, shit stain.

Psychiatry FTW

Old 09-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #171
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

For you, looks like....Aversion therapy, anyone?