Braindead

or the only time it's allowed to be serious is when it's Jazz

I want to exclusively listen to Jazz

Old 06-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #512
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I like the feel of PRS guitars but they are stupid expensive and i hate carlos santana
unrelated but PRS actually went to and dropped out of my college. He built his first guitar in the basement of the building I lived in senior year. He brought his band to alumni weekend a few years ago and they played at the boathouse on the water with tons of super drunk people dancing on stage with them. one guy even jumped from the upper deck into the crowd. it was an insanely good time and he was the nicest, most humble and normal dude. he did smack some rando on the arm for messing with his wah when he wasn't looking

and yeah his company makes wicked guitars, this was actually the first one that jumped out in my mind as an exception to the fender and gibson are best rule. but too damn expensive, and seem to be favored primarily by shred assholes

Old 06-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #513
slunken
Virgo

Elph for the sounds you're chasing you either want a vox or fender silver face amp. Nothing digital. Tube or valve for vox but you could get away with a solid state fender amp. Voxs tend to be more chimey, while fenders sparkle more.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #514
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
At disco king - have you tried the obvious method of unchaining everything and listening to the sounds one by one as you reintroduce each piece back into the chain? Does any of the noise stop when you touch the jack on your guitar or the strings or any other bit of metal?

I almost want to say whatever you are using for gain/distortion has a bad capacitor.

What is your chain?

At Elph - Dunlop for sure
My problem isn't locating the source of the noise, it comes from my guitar and is amplified by any of my really high-gain pedals. Like, I hear a noise when it's just my clean guitar (it's a small, tolerable hiss that doesn't bother me), but it gets increased to shitty levels if I play through some of my fuzzes (my Big Muff makes it pretty loud, some boutique fuzz I have makes it even louder, but the pedal that I think is a Fulltone Ultimate Octave clone doesn't make the noise that bad), or my high-gain distortion (that is probably a Metal Muff clone). My overdrive and the pedal that I think is a ProCo Rat clone (yeah, I buy a lot of cheap clones) also don't amplify the hiss very badly.

My chain changes all the time because I have ~15 pedals, but a Boss pedal board with only five slots (haven't got around to building my own more versatile custom pedal board yet), so it's just whatever effects I feel like playing through at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I'm considering getting a keyboard I feel like I'd get a ton of use out of learning it, I'd play the Organ setting a lot underneath my guitar playing

can "and gear" mean non-guitar related music gear
I have a keyboard and I've been meaning to learn it, but haven't gotten around to it. Used to screw around on it, but didn't play actual music.

I've always wanted to use keyboard/organ in my music, too, because of how I like stuff like The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Strawberry Alarm Clock, etc.

I used to have an actual organ and I always regret that I never actually did much with it. At one point I was trying to teach myself key instruments on it and learning simple songs from some elementary piano book.

I've always also wanted to learn string-and-bow instruments, like cello, violin, viola, etc. But I feel like since I suck at guitar, why split my time learning more instruments when I could spend that time getting better at guitar? Plus, good violin-family instruments are probably expensive as shit. That's why only Chinese parents buy them for their kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
just play your guitar you pretentious dork
This.

Buy a guitar you like and play it, Geez Louise.

Quote:
why can't music be serious
I fail to see how avoiding certain guitars not based on sound, but the lack of post-punk image popular brand names exude, is any more "serious" or less try-hard that buying a popular brand because you want to tell all your friends at school that you are a guitar god and have begun to learn "Run to the Hills" on a real guitar after mastering it on Guitar Hero.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #515
Elphenor
Braindead

idk basically popular rock memes make me want to trash my guitar and make music on a computer

Old 06-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #516
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
idk basically popular rock memes make me want to trash my guitar and make music on a computer
FFS b/c of some dumbass meme you're questioning your guitar? Maybe turn off the meme pipes for a week, month, year, decide what really inspires u, then make what u want

Seems u have a good idea of what u like already, but perhaps some soul searching is in order to ensure that your current preferences are not imaginary/result of memes or tropes subconsciously influencing your choices

Old 06-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #517
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I have a keyboard and I've been meaning to learn it, but haven't gotten around to it. Used to screw around on it, but didn't play actual music.

I've always wanted to use keyboard/organ in my music, too, because of how I like stuff like The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Strawberry Alarm Clock, etc.

I used to have an actual organ and I always regret that I never actually did much with it. At one point I was trying to teach myself key instruments on it and learning simple songs from some elementary piano book.

I've always also wanted to learn string-and-bow instruments, like cello, violin, viola, etc. But I feel like since I suck at guitar, why split my time learning more instruments
I don't know why u wouldn't pursue other instruments. A dozen or so pages ago didn't we have a novel from u complaining that u didn't know where to start with guitar and you weren't really inspired enough in any event to just pick it up and have fun?

Why not do something for which there's actual demand? Learn the drums for example! I know u live in an apartment but I bet u can find a cheap used electronic kit to start banging on. There's such a glut of guitar players that you're much less likely to get anywhere with it, especially since you don't feel inspired by guitar in the first place. Or has that changed?

Old 06-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #518
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoking
My problem isn't locating the source of the noise, it comes from my guitar and is amplified by any of my really high-gain pedals. Like, I hear a noise when it's just my clean guitar (it's a small, tolerable hiss that doesn't bother me), but it gets increased to shitty levels if I play through some of my fuzzes (my Big Muff makes it pretty loud, some boutique fuzz I have makes it even louder, but the pedal that I think is a Fulltone Ultimate Octave clone doesn't make the noise that bad), or my high-gain distortion (that is probably a Metal Muff clone). My overdrive and the pedal that I think is a ProCo Rat clone (yeah, I buy a lot of cheap clones) also don't amplify the hiss very badly.

My chain changes all the time because I have ~15 pedals, but a Boss pedal board with only five slots (haven't got around to building my own more versatile custom pedal board yet), so it's just whatever effects I feel like playing through at the time.
Multiple gain pedals will create a ton of noise if they're daisy chained together, which is what that boss board is. They all share the same power source so you're going to get a ton of noise by not having each one isolated.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #519
slunken
Virgo

I had that 5 slot Boss board for about 2 days before I returned it, as I was tired of using individual power supplies for each pedal. There was a night and day difference. I eventually saved up for an isolated power supply.

Overall, you can do what you want, but in my experience daisy chain power supplies will create a ton of extra noise. Especially if you're using "cheap" clones. I'm still going to stick to the theory that the capacitors in those aren't all that great, and since they're all sharing the same power supply, are just feeding off each other and re-amplifying themselves with every other pedal in the chain, especially if you're using more than one dirt pedal (in your post you only mentioned several different dirt pedals).

Old 06-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #520
slunken
Virgo

I have a fairly large board and have done plenty of "where the heck is this noise coming from" troubleshooting. I'm just trying to help because I know how frustrating it can be. I even used a DI box before to cut down on the noise.

You might even have a bad cable or a wonky output on a pedal. I have an older overdrive that gets silly once about every 3 times I use it and I have to hit it hard to make the extra hiss/noise stop.

That said, if you're using more than 3 dirt pedals at once, there's some noise to be expected. Probably not the level you're talking about though.

As someone else mentioned maybe your guitar isn't shielded very well. Or you have a ground hum in your home. It could be a lot of things but whatever it is, it isn't natural.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:17 PM   #521
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I have this thing against anything "Fender" where I feel like it's "playing teen spirit in Guitar Center poseur" brand tho I play a Fender Strat just because it happened to be the first thing that was given to me

Idk the way they market themselves as like "buy this and be a Rockstar!" do you know what I mean
still been trying to wrap my brain around this. it seems like an outdated mode of thought.

most guitar center "posers" i see are more marshall amp, orange heads, with paul reed smith, or jackson guitars. you know, "heavier is better" kind of crowd.

i mean, by all means get a vintage japanese supermarket guitar and or amp but be prepared to face a lot of problems and learn how to do work on them. if you don't want a matching fender guitar and amp, just get a vox and be done with it.

also afaik most post punk and no wave bands were playing silver face fender amps and fender guitars. you can get a vintage silverface solid state fender amp for less than $200.

tube amps are only good if you can crank them. if you can't, you have to get a tiny one, so you can crank it. solid states are great if you use other pedals for your dirt/gain/bite.

if you want a tiny tube amp, get the vox actv4 with the load switch. It's 4 watts but lets you select between 4 watts, 1 watt, or 1/4 watt, so you can get great tube tone at a lower volume. Protip secret - most older (rolling stones and prior rock from the 50s) recordings were made with tiny tube amps mic'd closely. certainly not the same amps they would tour and perform with.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #522
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
Again, open the amp up and start poking around with a fork until you locate the source of the problem.
After you've been playing a pedal for a while, it's a good idea to open the pedal up, expose the circuitry, and scratch off the corrosion on the board that may have occurred while playing "hot licks" and "rippin leads".

You can use a fork to do this too. It will save you time.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:46 PM   #523
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Elph get a Vox AC15 or I'll beat you up.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:54 PM   #524
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
Elph get a Vox AC15 or I'll beat you up.
sure just let everyone try to pull the sword from the stone with no practice

Old 06-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #525
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I have that little vox 4 watt tube amp, and can attest to some satisfying tones at low volumes. Breaks up (gets dirty) rather quickly, though, so there's not a lot of headroom for sparkling cleans at a volume that would be useable at, say, a band practice with a drummer. For live performance it would need to be PA'd for sure

Old 06-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #526
Elphenor
Braindead

I spent an hour playing music without my guitar actually plugged in today

I don't mean I played the guitar acoustically, I mean I played the Input Jack

You know what I'm talking about

Old 06-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #527
Elphenor
Braindead

Bzzzzzztttt Hummmmmmm Bzzzzztttt

*turns some dials*

Old 06-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #528
slunken
Virgo

hey guys i like guitar

Old 06-10-2016, 12:47 AM   #529
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
hey guys i like guitar
Nice can I play too?

Old 06-10-2016, 03:05 AM   #530
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
I don't know why u wouldn't pursue other instruments. A dozen or so pages ago didn't we have a novel from u complaining that u didn't know where to start with guitar and you weren't really inspired enough in any event to just pick it up and have fun?

Why not do something for which there's actual demand? Learn the drums for example! I know u live in an apartment but I bet u can find a cheap used electronic kit to start banging on. There's such a glut of guitar players that you're much less likely to get anywhere with it, especially since you don't feel inspired by guitar in the first place. Or has that changed?
I've been practicing guitar more than when I wrote that post, but yeah, I'm still not really "inspired." Just continuing to practice some clinical chops and tighten my skills, but not really having a lot of fun or writing anything.

I kinda wrote a song a few weeks back and it came out a lot easier than most times, so I thought it might mean I'm on a roll and I spent the next few days trying to write more, but the tap ran dry after that one, so I was like, "false alarm, I'm still uninspired."

But yeah, maybe I should try a new instrument. I think it's just daunting trying to learn something new and struggling through the rudiments and knowing that it's going to take some time before you can play something that somewhat approximates music, and that it will take even more time before you can actually play with purpose and have something in your head and express it in your instrument instead of just fumbling around until something kinda works (I'm still not even at the point on guitar yet, and I've been playing for longer than I'd like to admit).

Quote:
I had that 5 slot Boss board for about 2 days before I returned it, as I was tired of using individual power supplies for each pedal. There was a night and day difference. I eventually saved up for an isolated power supply.

Overall, you can do what you want, but in my experience daisy chain power supplies will create a ton of extra noise. Especially if you're using "cheap" clones. I'm still going to stick to the theory that the capacitors in those aren't all that great, and since they're all sharing the same power supply, are just feeding off each other and re-amplifying themselves with every other pedal in the chain, especially if you're using more than one dirt pedal (in your post you only mentioned several different dirt pedals).
I only mentioned the gain pedals because it was only gain pedals that had the noise problem. All my other pedals are fine.

Most of the pedals that have the noise problem are not the cheap clones. One of them is (Metal Muff clone), but the Rat clone and the Fulltone Octave clone are pretty silent. Quieter than my Big Muff and boutique fuzzes, for which the noise problem exists.

I don't know much about electronics, but I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the pedals. Like, if I put my noise gate first in the chain to silence the small hum from my guitar, everything is fine because it's the small noise from the guitar that the high-gain pedals are amplifying into a big noise.

Quote:
I have a fairly large board and have done plenty of "where the heck is this noise coming from" troubleshooting. I'm just trying to help because I know how frustrating it can be. I even used a DI box before to cut down on the noise.

You might even have a bad cable or a wonky output on a pedal. I have an older overdrive that gets silly once about every 3 times I use it and I have to hit it hard to make the extra hiss/noise stop.

That said, if you're using more than 3 dirt pedals at once, there's some noise to be expected. Probably not the level you're talking about though.

As someone else mentioned maybe your guitar isn't shielded very well. Or you have a ground hum in your home. It could be a lot of things but whatever it is, it isn't natural.
I usually only use one dirt pedal at a time (unless I'm using one with an overdrive), but I do tend to have more than one in the chain at once. When I tested each pedal individually, I removed the rest from the signal chain, rather than just bypassing them (I think they are true bypass anyway, but just in case). Still had the noise for the noisy pedals. However, even though the other pedals weren't in the signal chain, the power jacks were still in them, so since this isn't an isolated supply, maybe that means they can still introduce noise.

I later made sure to test the pedals without any other pedals connected to power, and the noise was lower. I was like "that must be the problem," so I powered the other pedals again just to see if the noise would increase, but it didn't. So, it probably had nothing to do with that. Maybe the only reason the noise was lower was that there happened to be less interference at that time, assuming my original hypothesis is correct and it's noise from a poorly-shielded guitar that's the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
I guess I still don't understand. The distortion pedals are amplifying the noise even when they are turned off? I have some old vintage pedals that kind of do this (but not as bad as this sounds), but most of the modern pedals and what-have-you have pretty clean circuitry. This shouldn't happen. Again, open the amp up and start poking around with a fork until you locate the source of the problem.

If you find the problem pedal, you could get a little effects loop pedal that you could put that pedal into. I've done that before with a noisy old Big Muff (along with an EQ in that loop) and it worked out well.
No, they only amplify the noise when turned on. Not in bypass mode.

To recap what the problem was:

When I play my guitar clean, there is some hum, but nothing that loud or bad or that I would seek to silence.

But some of my gain pedals amplify this noise to bad levels when I play through them.

If I put a noise gate after the gain pedal, I can silence the noise, but the threshold will be at such a level that, if I want to switch from distorted to clean guitar and turn off the gain pedal, the clean signal will be under the threshold, and you won't hear anything.

I fixed this problem by putting the noise gate before any distortion, at the beginning of the chain. When I do this, there is no more annoying noise when I switch on a gain pedal, because the noise from the guitar that was being amplified by the pedals is cut out now.

However, when I do this, I don't get as much sustain, because of the signal from the guitar eventually dropping below the gate threshold.

I mean, it's not a crisis or anything, just wondering what I could do to both get more sustain and not have the noise.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:08 AM   #531
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Don't be so self-conscious about "looking cool," memes can destroy your life. I would know, my village was destroyed by memes.

So long as you don't play "Wonderwall" at parties, you can safely avoid being "that guitar douche," even if you play popular brand name guitars.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #532
slunken
Virgo

Quote:

So long as you don't play "Wonderwall" at parties, you can safely avoid being "that guitar douche," even if you play popular brand name guitars.
"hey do you guys like john fahey?"

Old 06-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #533
Elphenor
Braindead

I think if I were to commit fully to my ideas I'd have 12 different Japanese Supermarket guitars in a cardboard box instead of investing in the couple of strats I have

Old 06-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #534
slunken
Virgo

I've almost bought one several dozen times but each one had a problem that would be too frustrating to overlook. Mostly jenky electronics with hums and pops and cracks.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #535
Elphenor
Braindead

I've been practicing a lot of old school funk where it's no more than two chords a song basically but it's all about the discipline you can never miss a single beat or you totally ruin the effect

And it's weird because the moment I think about the beat I lose it, its like you gotta just let it flow

Old 06-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #536
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i don't play funk but i feel what you're saying so hard
it's honestly the hardest, most unspoken, most IMPORTANT musical skill there is, really

Old 06-14-2016, 11:21 PM   #537
cork_soaker
full of longing

funkiness?

Old 06-15-2016, 01:21 AM   #538
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Probably rhythm and timing.

Rhythm seems to be the most basic element of music. You can have something that can properly be called music with just rhythm, as evidenced be percussion. Tap on your desk in a rhythmic way, and you're making music. I'm not sure that the same can be said of pitch. Pitch with no rhythm would just be perceived as sound or beeping, rather than music.

Of course, I'm speaking in generalities. Pretty much everything exists, so there's probably avant-garde music somewhere that is just pitch with no rhythm, such as tones randomly generated by a computer, or maybe eight minutes of a single tone. Somebody uploads that to Soundcloud under the heading of "music," who am I to be like, "no that doesn't count"? At the end of the day, "music" is more of an honourific title than something with essential qualities. Maybe one day, somebody will paint a song, I dunno.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #539
slunken
Virgo

Rock music syncopates on the beat. R&B (and therefore funk) snakes and weaves behind of and in front of the beat.

Easy peasy.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #540
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I've been practicing guitar more than when I wrote that post, but yeah, I'm still not really "inspired." Just continuing to practice some clinical chops and tighten my skills, but not really having a lot of fun or writing anything.

I kinda wrote a song a few weeks back and it came out a lot easier than most times, so I thought it might mean I'm on a roll and I spent the next few days trying to write more, but the tap ran dry after that one, so I was like, "false alarm, I'm still uninspired."

But yeah, maybe I should try a new instrument. I think it's just daunting trying to learn something new and struggling through the rudiments and knowing that it's going to take some time before you can play something that somewhat approximates music, and that it will take even more time before you can actually play with purpose and have something in your head and express it in your instrument instead of just fumbling around until something kinda works (I'm still not even at the point on guitar yet, and I've been playing for longer than I'd like to admit).

I only mentioned the gain pedals because it was only gain pedals that had the noise problem. All my other pedals are fine.

Most of the pedals that have the noise problem are not the cheap clones. One of them is (Metal Muff clone), but the Rat clone and the Fulltone Octave clone are pretty silent. Quieter than my Big Muff and boutique fuzzes, for which the noise problem exists.

I don't know much about electronics, but I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the pedals. Like, if I put my noise gate first in the chain to silence the small hum from my guitar, everything is fine because it's the small noise from the guitar that the high-gain pedals are amplifying into a big noise.

I usually only use one dirt pedal at a time (unless I'm using one with an overdrive), but I do tend to have more than one in the chain at once. When I tested each pedal individually, I removed the rest from the signal chain, rather than just bypassing them (I think they are true bypass anyway, but just in case). Still had the noise for the noisy pedals. However, even though the other pedals weren't in the signal chain, the power jacks were still in them, so since this isn't an isolated supply, maybe that means they can still introduce noise.

I later made sure to test the pedals without any other pedals connected to power, and the noise was lower. I was like "that must be the problem," so I powered the other pedals again just to see if the noise would increase, but it didn't. So, it probably had nothing to do with that. Maybe the only reason the noise was lower was that there happened to be less interference at that time, assuming my original hypothesis is correct and it's noise from a poorly-shielded guitar that's the culprit.

No, they only amplify the noise when turned on. Not in bypass mode.

To recap what the problem was:

When I play my guitar clean, there is some hum, but nothing that loud or bad or that I would seek to silence.

But some of my gain pedals amplify this noise to bad levels when I play through them.

If I put a noise gate after the gain pedal, I can silence the noise, but the threshold will be at such a level that, if I want to switch from distorted to clean guitar and turn off the gain pedal, the clean signal will be under the threshold, and you won't hear anything.

I fixed this problem by putting the noise gate before any distortion, at the beginning of the chain. When I do this, there is no more annoying noise when I switch on a gain pedal, because the noise from the guitar that was being amplified by the pedals is cut out now.

However, when I do this, I don't get as much sustain, because of the signal from the guitar eventually dropping below the gate threshold.

I mean, it's not a crisis or anything, just wondering what I could do to both get more sustain and not have the noise.