Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #181
Liffey
Ownz

54. Genesis - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (1986)

A creepy synthesized riff propels this dark anecdote, which could be about a desperate attempt to score drugs in the big city. Collins' sometimes-Darwinian lyrics are worthy of lengthy analysis.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #182
Liffey
Ownz

53. Frank Sinatra - It Was a Very Good Year (1965)

This is the very first song I ever remember hearing on the radio. As we follow the life of the narrator over many years, we realize that indeed all of his years were very good years. I love how at 1:40 you can actually hear the 'perfumed hair'.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #183
Liffey
Ownz

52. Chicago - Saturday in the Park (1972)

Makes me feel like it's the 4th of July. I feel a little sorry for the guy stuck selling ice cream on this beautiful day, but I guess he doesn't mind too much. Highlight: "Can you dig it? Yes, I can."

Old 11-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #184
Liffey
Ownz

51. Otis Redding – (Sittin’ on) the Dock of the Bay (1968)

OK, I'll admit it. Whenever I used to hear this song, I always pictured this old man sitting on the dock of the bay, whistling away, but in reality Otis Redding was only 26 when he died. "Dock of the Bay" is about, among other things, enjoying the simple pleasures in life. Highlight: "Looks like nothing's going to change/Everything still remains the same/I can't do what ten people tell me to do/So I guess I'll remain the same"

Old 11-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #185
Liffey
Ownz

50. a-ha - Take on Me (1985)

Not much more can be said that hasn't been said before. The best part is obviously when he says "in a day or two." If you're looking for something less obvious to appreciate, then check out the instrumental interlude from 1:54 to 2:11. I love how that "bicycle spoke" sound comes, disappears, and then reappears.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #186
christian zombie vampires
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs up

this is incredible.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #187
Liffey
Ownz

49. Tiffany - I Think We’re Alone Now (1987)

Following in the grand tradition of artists on this list making a cover song truly their own, Tiffany gives us this apex of the mall-pop genre. The whole vocal melody is classic, and the solo starting at 2:08 just gets better as it goes on, climaxing in a whirlwind of 16th notes. Highlight: "Running just as fast as we can/Holding on to one another's hand/Trying to get away into the night/And then you put your arms around me/And we tumble to the ground/And then you say..."

Old 11-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #188
Liffey
Ownz

48. Seal - Kiss from a Rose (1994)

You know how this movie is from the Batman soundtrack? Well, take the line "There's so much a man can tell you, so much he can say" and replace "a man" with "Batman". Then listen to it, keeping the changed lyrics in mind.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #189
Liffey
Ownz

47. Heart - These Dreams (1985)

Here's a song for the dreamers out there, those who believe that our dreams are just as real as our waking lives. In their attempt to capture an uncapturable essence, Heart uses a wavering synth and a disjunct bassline that I find to be underrated. Highlights: "And words that have no form/Are falling from my lips" and "Funny how your feet/in dreams never touch the earth."

Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #190
Liffey
Ownz

46. The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin’ (1965)

The melodies are haunting, and the song as a whole is rather chilling, given its snowy imagery. The woodwind solo (1:17) can be considered perfect. Highlight: "well I got down on my knees"

Old 11-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #191
Liffey
Ownz

45. Mike + The Mechanics - All I Need Is a Miracle (1986)

I'm a big fan of Mike's vocal contortions as he enters the chorus (see 3:12-3:17). At 3:45, Mike thinks to himself, "The song's ending! I've got to belt out one really good last 'all i need'!" and he pulls it off admirably.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #192
Liffey
Ownz

44. Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes – (I've Had) The Time Of My Life (1987)

This one is from Dirty Dancing, which I've never seen. I'm guessing that this song is the only thing worthwhile about the movie, so just listen to it and save yourself the trouble of having to watch the whole thing. P.S. The girls love this one.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #193
Liffey
Ownz

43. Chris Isaak - Wicked Game (1989)

The best song for falling in love in a tropical rainforest in the dead of night.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #194
Liffey
Ownz

42. Steve Winwood - Higher Love (1986)

Yes, it's a love song, but we're not talking about earthly pleasures here. Winwood is looking for a higher love, namely, God's. It's a song about faith in the face of challenges, and Winwood assures us that, regardless of his past actions, he's "not too late for it".

Old 11-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #195
Liffey
Ownz

41. The Four Tops - Reach Out I'll Be There (1966)

Even though the narrator is completely taking advantage of this girl's current depressed state just to score, the song remains endearing, due primarily to its exquisite harmonies. A horse makes a guest appearance at the beginning. Another highlight is the "Ha!" (:48, 1:36)

Old 11-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #196
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liffey
54. Genesis - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (1986)

A creepy synthesized riff propels this dark anecdote, which could be about a desperate attempt to score drugs in the big city. Collins' sometimes-Darwinian lyrics are worthy of lengthy analysis.
Nothing Collins does is worthy of analysis!

Old 11-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #197
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liffey
only song worth a damn on this list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo
Nothing Collins does is worthy of analysis!

Old 11-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #198
Sylvia Woods
Apocalyptic Poster

the last post better have a giant rar of these

Old 11-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #199
Liffey
Ownz

40. Simply Red - Holding Back the Years (1985)

Instead of just saying "don't worry, be happy," the narrator acknowledges that sometimes it's not that easy, but that he will nevertheless "keep holding on." We, in turn, will as well. He screams, "I've wasted all my tears/Wasted all those years/Nothing had a chance to be good/Nothing ever could," but we know that there's still a future, and maybe now's the time to stop wasting time. Swells of strings at 1:08 are a subtle yet effective touch.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #200
Liffey
Ownz

39. Lenny Kravitz - It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over (1991)

Kravitz uses his best Marvin Gaye voice in this story of not giving up on a relationship. The string section is the obvious star here. And a sitar makes a guest appearance.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #201
Liffey
Ownz

38. Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U (1990)

The ultimate breakup song. I love how in the first chorus she just says, "Nothing compares, nothing compares to you." She saves the best part of the song for future choruses, when singing "Nothing compares, noTHING compares to you." The 'ahhhh's in the background are also a plus.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #202
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

omifuk late 80s early 90s mania

Old 11-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #203
Liffey
Ownz

37. The Miami Sound Machine - Bad Boy (1985)

Gloria Estefan proudly proclaims that the bad boy "[gets her] so excited" and the background soundscape at 1:14 perfectly illustrates this. I only wish that when she says, "You call me on the phone/It goes ring, ring, ring, ring-a-ring ring," that they would have put a telephone sound effect in there. Nice use of 'church bells' starting at 2:52.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #204
Liffey
Ownz

36. Julian Lennon - Too Late For Goodbyes (1984)

Combining elements of reggae, country, and 80's pop, this one is always a sound for sore ears. Check out Lennon's falsetto "cryyyy" at 0:39, the funky slap bass, and perhaps the greatest use of scat singing in modern music (2:53).

Old 11-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #205
Liffey
Ownz

35. George Harrison - Got My Mind Set on You (1987)

The background vocals ("set on you") are my favorite part, especially when Harrison stops singing and lets them stand alone. I always found it strange that Harrison, the 'spiritual' one, would be so adamant about how much money it would take for him to win this girl's heart. But I guess he was a loaded, so he had plenty to spare. Oh yeah, and I can't forget to praise the sax solo!

Old 11-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #206
Liffey
Ownz

34. Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride (1983)

The chorus shines in this upbeat number, while the verses are full of surreal imagery, as in "I sailed away to China/In a little rowboat to find ya/And you said you had to get your laundry cleaned." Great boingy guitar solo at 1:28.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #207
Liffey
Ownz

33. Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street (1978)

Whereas in many of these songs the saxophone merely makes an appearance as a solo, here it takes the spotlight. But without its poignant lyrics, the song wouldn't be half of what it is. One highlight: "He’s got this dream about buyin’ some land/He’s gonna give up the booze/And the one night stands/And then he’ll settle down/In some quiet little town/And forget about everything/But you know he’ll always keep movin’/You know he’s never gonna stop movin’/’Cause he’s rollin’, he’s the rollin’ stone." A relatively lengthy composition, but, for those who invest their time, the guitar solo near the five-minute mark is a nice treat.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #208
Liffey
Ownz

32. Rolling Stones, the - Paint It, Black (1966)

With probably the greatest use of sitar ever, this song might also be the gloomiest on the list.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #209
Liffey
Ownz

31. Gary Wright - Dream Weaver (1975)

Another song about dreams. The spacy ambient effects are quite trippy. Lyrical highlight: "Though the dawn may be coming soon/There still may be some time/Fly me away to the bright side of the moon/And meet me on the other side"

Old 11-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #210
Liffey
Ownz

30. Faith No More - Epic (1989)

This aptly-titled song kicks off with a blast of guitar and horns, and concludes with a denouement of broken piano. In between, we witness the epic debate between two conflicting sects of philosophers. One insists that "It's it!" and the other retorts with "What is it?!" to which the first group responds "It's it!" and so it goes.