Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2018, 02:14 AM   #1
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Default any static-x fans here?

i know people have just ripped on static-x when i've brought them up here through the years, and don't know if there are any actual fans here.

as silly as some of the music is, the band (their first 2 albums) genuinely meant a lot to me at a certain point in my life, and still hold a special place in my heart. honestly.

i think their last few albums really sucked, and it was super sad to see how it all ended, with wayne letting his wife get too involved and drive a wedge between him and the band, and then wayne and tony in a bitter disagreement, speaking negatively about eachother after 15 years together. and then when wayne died unexpectedly, and then his wife shortly thereafter... it was all so dark and i kind of tried to just let go and tried to forget about it.

if there are any real fans here, would really like to discuss this with you, i just saw it and it threw me for a loop:

i'm suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper conflicted about it. i don't really trust tony, despite his 'statement' in the comments on the video trying to clear things up. i don't really trust him, and it feels kind of disingenuous and like a money grab.

and yet, had things somehow gone differently, had wayne not died, and had wayne and tony actually reconciled, of course i'd be 100% on board and all forgiven, etc.

i get that wayne was in a bad frame of mind in his last years, and that will definitely influence the things he said, his perceptions, etc. but all the same, it was his band, and for tony to basically make wayne pay a lot of money to use it seemed really low.

and for all of that... i am admittedly quite excited to hear one final otsego song.

anyhow, please holler if you care, don't really have anyone to discuss this with. thanks

Old 12-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #2
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Hi, nu-metal kid from way back here.

I loved Static-X from the moment I first heard Bled For Days on the Bride of Chucky soundtrack. I spun Wisconsin Death Trip so much that I'm pretty sure the disc doesn't work anymore. I found all of the follow-ups to be lacking in comparison, but still followed them to the bitter end. To this day, WDT is one of the few nu (or nu adjacent) albums I still spin unironically on occasion, along with Snot's Get Some and Sevendust's self-titled.

Like you, I hated to see how it all ended. I saw the band proper on what I believe was their last US tour. I honestly thought I had spotted some comraderie between Wayne and Tony, but I guess I was wrong. Sure enough, Tera was on stage shaking her tits the whole time, but it was still a really fun set. I have no interest in this revived version of the band. The band died with Wayne. If the three dudes got a new singer and a new name, I'd be 100% supportive, but this feels shitty and cheap.

ANYWAY I've moved onto much cooler music like Third Eye Blind and Jimmy Eat World

Old 12-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Where my Spineshank fans at?

Old 12-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
LaBelle
Socialphobic

When the guy died it was the first time I heard of the band.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

it's good to know who you guys are (for the coming purge)

Old 12-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
Disco King
Minion of Satan

All I remember of this band is that they had that song on the Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker soundtrack, and even back then, I thought they seemed ridiculous.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Crash with Mephisto Odyssey.

That was a jam.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #8
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
it's good to know who you guys are (for the coming purge)
Ok, Elph.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Man, I've got the entirety of Batman Beyond on DVD.

One of these days, I gotta get on that shit.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
wHATcOLOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Hi, nu-metal kid from way back here.

I loved Static-X from the moment I first heard Bled For Days on the Bride of Chucky soundtrack. I spun Wisconsin Death Trip so much that I'm pretty sure the disc doesn't work anymore. I found all of the follow-ups to be lacking in comparison, but still followed them to the bitter end. To this day, WDT is one of the few nu (or nu adjacent) albums I still spin unironically on occasion, along with Snot's Get Some and Sevendust's self-titled.

Like you, I hated to see how it all ended. I saw the band proper on what I believe was their last US tour. I honestly thought I had spotted some comraderie between Wayne and Tony, but I guess I was wrong. Sure enough, Tera was on stage shaking her tits the whole time, but it was still a really fun set. I have no interest in this revived version of the band. The band died with Wayne. If the three dudes got a new singer and a new name, I'd be 100% supportive, but this feels shitty and cheap.

ANYWAY I've moved onto much cooler music like Third Eye Blind and Jimmy Eat World

yeah, wisconsin death trip was amazing. the first time i ever saw them was at this radio festival in massachusetts, i think it was 1999. other bass were like.. filter, powerman5000, etc. static x were on real early, like 11 am, not many people there, and they slaughtered, it was so awesome. had never heard of them before but fell in love w them there.

agree with you, the band died with wayne. it does not feel authentic or sincere for tony to grab the name and saw “oh we want to honor our friend” and then try to build up hype for a tour with out a singer yet, under the static x name.

i also agree with you that if those 3 guys wanted to grab a new singer, do their own thing under a new name, and even occasionally play some static x songs, i would not begrudge them that one bit. but this is not that.

i also wonder when this music was written / recorded. my guess is that it is probably some abandoned stuff from before wayne went his own way. so they’re digging through old stuff / scraps, scrambling trying to find other singers to help complete it. ugh.

i will listen to that otsego song though and i will probably like it a lot. haha.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Schway

Old 12-15-2018, 03:21 AM   #12
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Where my Spineshank fans at?

not like a massive fan but this tunes rips extremely hard and I still throw it on playlists from time to time

Old 12-15-2018, 03:22 AM   #13
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Spineshank knew that the real magic of Nu was in channeling big-arms hardcore choruses that the straightedge kids were going off for

Old 12-16-2018, 01:53 AM   #14
noyen
Immortal

I was into that wisconsin death trip record, I didn't follow past that and didn't know he died and that entire string of events after. that's really sad anything that has to do with pain killer and opiate abuse really gets to me. it hits home too hard sometimes. and it's so prevalent. the deaths used to be mostly relapses after getting sober, using same dose as before. but the mixing of drugs with him is freaky and also a bummer. deaths so frequent on a relapse. his wife too, fuck that's just such a bummer ending. I feel for their families.

I am curious to listen to the rest I know I'll hate some of it. they had a sound I could tolerate at least.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #15
TuralyonW3
Immortal

After moving to Chicago, Wells (Wayne Static) created the band Deep Blue Dream in 1987 with Ken Jay, bass player Eric Harris, and Billy Corgan.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #16
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I am shocked to hear that Wayne Wells (Wayne Static) has passed away. I played with him in his first band, Deep Blue Dream, in 1987/88

— Billy Corgan (@Billy) November 2, 2014
He was a real gentleman, and loved music (and KISS, Ace in particular). Even had his the hood of his car painted with the KISS logo

— Billy Corgan (@Billy) November 2, 2014

Old 12-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #17
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Got to meet the band opening for Fear Factory in 1999 or 2000. Super nice guys. Tugged on Wayne's beard.

Was really bummed when I learned he passed.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:29 PM   #18
wHATcOLOR

so i just came across this:

my gut reaction is negative. apparently the guy from Dope us doing a "tribute impersonation" or whatever you might call this. objectively he's quite good at it, but it feels fucked up to me to ape someone's hairstyle and paint on a beard and mime their stage moves.. commendable job but i find it distasteful.

they have the other 3 original members there, was surprised to see ken jay drumming, that's pretty cool. but f tony, that guy is a dick.

just strange. they sound good in the little of it i watched but it feels wrong to me and i can't enjoy it.

anyone else?

edit: also apparently he is wearing a mask? jeez. it's not like static-x is high art or the genre is renowned for it's great taste, but still

Last edited by wHATcOLOR : 07-01-2019 at 12:40 AM.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:40 PM   #19
wHATcOLOR

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sta...ring-vocalist/

blah blah blah.

not into it, find it dumb but that's just me

Old 07-01-2019, 02:52 AM   #20
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

This post is disturbing.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #21
wHATcOLOR

right??

Old 07-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #22
wHATcOLOR

someone asked furry corgan in his instagram q&a:

"How do you feel about the current Static-X tour with Wayne tribute?"

and he replied:

"IF TRUE I THINK IT'S FANTASTIC"

Old 07-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #23
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

It was you that asked, right?

Old 07-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #24
wHATcOLOR

it wasn’t!

i would have been clear in that questijning that someone is actually wearing a mask that looks like a wayne static zombie

Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #25
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Maybe it’s not a mask, but in fact it’s Undead Wayne?

Old 08-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #26
wHATcOLOR

ive been really digging Cult of Static recently. kind of ignored them mostly after Shadow Zone because i really didn't enjoy the sound of that album. but Cult of Static rips. if it didn't have any guitar solos i think i'd LOVE it.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #27
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
ive been really digging Cult of Static recently. kind of ignored them mostly after Shadow Zone because i really didn't enjoy the sound of that album. but Cult of Static rips. if it didn't have any guitar solos i think i'd LOVE it.

I have fond memories of trying to get into this album while playing Lego Batman while my ex-wife did homework on the couch.

tl:dr version, the album never gelled, I never finished the game and we got a divorce.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #28
wHATcOLOR

oh shit. sorry about that man. maybe one day you will finish the game. if you want t to i mean.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #29
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Thanks man. I mean, life can be hard sometimes, but then you get to those levels where you just have no fucking clue what you're supposed to do and you're too prideful to consult the internet and you just give up.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #30
wHATcOLOR