Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
Elphenor
Braindead

Default Teargarden isn't even an original project name

It was already a Goth/Industrial project featuring Edward Ka-Spel of Legendary Pink Dots (a much much more clever artist)

I just needed to say this somewhere thanks

Old 11-09-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

ok

Old 11-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
TuralyonW3
Immortal

but was it BY KALEIDYSCOPE!?!?!?!

Old 11-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #4
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Talking

Old 11-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
Candy Cane
Demi-God

Location: Where the willows weep and the whirpools sleep you'll find me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
but was it BY KALEIDYSCOPE!?!?!?!
Well, the Legendary Pink Dots had an album called The Terminal Kaleidosope so yes it appears Billy ripped the whole name idea from Edward Ka-Spel who probably would have sued if anyone actually gave a shit about Teargarden By Kaleidyscope.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #6
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Cane View Post
Well, the Legendary Pink Dots had an album called The Terminal Kaleidosope so yes it appears Billy ripped the whole name idea from Edward Ka-Spel who probably would have sued if anyone actually gave a shit about Teargarden By Kaleidyscope.
Damn that's a good catch

it's hard for me to imagine Billy actually listening to The Dots though idk

I just saw them live and they still got it

Old 11-10-2019, 04:10 AM   #7
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

"Teargarden" was the best possible name for describing the whole project.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:24 AM   #8
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The year 2010 called, it wants its thread back. Thnx.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:35 AM   #9
bright_doom
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Corgan
New Smashing Pumpkins album. [Sep. 16th, 2009|04:55 pm]

I'm happy to finally announce the plans for the new Smashing Pumpkins album.

Recording began yesterday, September 15th, 2009 on the new record which will be entitled 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope'. The album will feature 44 songs, 4 of which are now being recorded. My desire is to release a song at a time beginning around Halloween of this year, with each new release coming shortly after until all 44 are out. Each song will be made available absolutely for free, to anyone anywhere. There will be no strings attached. Free will mean free, which means you won't have to sign up for anything, give an email address, or jump through a hoop. You will be able to go and take the song or songs as you wish, as many times as you wish.

We will however sell highly limited edition EP's (of 4 songs each times 11), and details of how those EP's will be made available are still being worked out. Because the songs themselves will be free, the EP's will be more like collectors items for the discerning fan who will want the art itself, along with the highest possible audio quality available. The EP's will be more like mini-box sets rather than your normal cd single. We may also offer other variations for sale, say for example a digital single with a demo version of a song. The commitment that is most important is the one I'm making to you: that the music of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' will be available for free to everyone. All 44 songs: free for ALL.

When the entire album is finished, it will be compiled into a deluxe box set which will also be made available for sale. Those who have bought the EP's need not worry, as the box set will not be a recompilation of the limited edition pieces.

The story of the album is based on 'The Fool's Journey', as signified in the progress of the Tarot. It is my intention to approach this by breaking down the journey of our life here into four phases as made by these different characters; the Child, the Fool, the Skeptic, and the Mystic.

The music of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' harkens back to the original psychedelic roots of The Smashing Pumpkins: atmospheric, melodic, heavy, and pretty.

I already have 53 songs written for the record, so I am quite confident that I already have much of the material that I would need to undertake such an extensive project. I am very committed to seeing this album through to its completion and very, very excited about the prospect of delivering new Smashing Pumpkins music to you in a unique and exciting way.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:21 AM   #10
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Interesting to read that again after all that time. Song For a Son came out on 8th December 2009, so it was already a month past the original projected dates.

With the exception of maybe Astral Planes, nothing on TG sounded like the "original psychedelic" SP.

It really would've been better as a solo project.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
It really would've been better as a solo project.
that's pretty much true of most things post-MCIS save for Machina & Zeit

Old 11-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #12
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
that's pretty much true of most things post-MCIS save for Machina & Zeit
Nah, Adore and Machina (1 and 2) are better as SP.

Oceania is a form of SP, though decent enough.

Zeitgeist... hmm. From a recorded point of view, it's as SP as Siamese Dream is. So maybe.

TGBK and Monuments should've been solo. Though Monuments is better than Shiny. American Gothic should also have been solo.

Really, I'd love all of Billy's post 2000 work if he sang like he used to do on the recordings.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #13
Elphenor
Braindead

this is more "psychedelic" too

Old 11-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #14
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I already have 53 songs written for the record, so I am quite confident that I already have much of the material that I would need to undertake such an extensive project. I am very committed to seeing this album through to its completion and very, very excited about the prospect of delivering new Smashing Pumpkins music to you in a unique and exciting way.

this is what I keep in mind when he makes promises

Old 11-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #15
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Well how many of the 53 did we get, if we count Oceania and Monuments (and some of Shiny)?

TGBK: 12
Oceania: 13
Monuments: 9
Some of Shiny: Solara / Marchin' On

So that's about 36 songs, plus whatever else was leftover from Day 4 Night. If it was to be 44 songs, then he nearly got there.

Anything else? Was Jesus Needs a Hit a TGBK song?

Old 11-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #16
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Well how many of the 53 did we get, if we count Oceania and Monuments (and some of Shiny)?

TGBK: 12
Oceania: 13
Monuments: 9
Some of Shiny: Solara / Marchin' On

So that's about 36 songs, plus whatever else was leftover from Day 4 Night. If it was to be 44 songs, then he nearly got there.

Anything else? Was Jesus Needs a Hit a TGBK song?
Except the problem is the original 54 did not inc1ude Oceania/Monuments/etc. Corgan had it already written and demoed by 2009. All of it. Everything after that was redacted to justify Corgan's inability to finish a project.

This was the original Teargarden:

https://smashing-pumpkins-recording-...os_Angeles,_CA

Fast forward two years, Corgan got bored of this and wanted to do a stand-alone album with the new Jeff/Mikey/Nicole line-up and wrote mostly new songs for it. To justify it's existence and not seem like he was abandoning Teargarden (which he was, since Teargarden was already written in it's entirety in 2009), he backtracked and called it an "album within an album". Then this trend continued on and on with the following Monuments and Day For Night.

If you want to count those unrelated projects as Teargarden, that's fine. But the reality is, based on everything the dude has said, Teargarden, conceptually, was a specific set of songs. Then Oceania was a different concept. Then Monuments and Day For Night were different concepts. Either this is a ridiculous con that people are feeding into, or that says a lot about the quality of 3/4ths of the original 2009 material if it needed to be replaced with Oceania and such.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #17
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
Except the problem is the original 54 did not inc1ude Oceania/Monuments/etc. Corgan had it already written and demoed by 2009. All of it. Everything after that was redacted to justify Corgan's inability to finish a project.

This was the original Teargarden:

https://smashing-pumpkins-recording-...os_Angeles,_CA

Fast forward two years, Corgan got bored of this and wanted to do a stand-alone album with the new Jeff/Mikey/Nicole line-up and wrote mostly new songs for it. To justify it's existence and not seem like he was abandoning Teargarden (which he was, since Teargarden was already written in it's entirety in 2009), he backtracked and called it an "album within an album". Then this trend continued on and on with the following Monuments and Day For Night.

If you want to count those unrelated projects as Teargarden, that's fine. But the reality is, based on everything the dude has said, Teargarden, conceptually, was a specific set of songs. Then Oceania was a different concept. Then Monuments and Day For Night were different concepts. Either this is a ridiculous con that people are feeding into, or that says a lot about the quality of 3/4ths of the original 2009 material if it needed to be replaced with Oceania and such.

I remember when Monte used to post and get supper defensive when someone tried to bring this kind of logic to the conversation. Technically, they're all Corgan's songs. He could call Siamese Dream part of Teargarden if he wanted to, but it does not change the fact that the existence of the project was based on the delivery of the songs just as much as the songs themselves. Hell, I will even give Corgan benefit of the doubt and say Oceania could be considered part of Teargarden, since I can see those songs as an outgrowth of the TbK songs, but to call Monuments to an Elegy part of it was absurd, and Corgan even admitted as much in interviews around the time.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #18
FoolofaTook

why is that dude pointing at the christmas tree tho

Old 11-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #19
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

What I'd like to know is why the image of someone clearly standing with a tree behind him, Took is flipped (see the logo)

When Teargarden was announced, I made a thread trying to explain the title, and God help me — o, God forgive me! — I cannot remember if I was serious

Old 11-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #20
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

which i suppose is what should be expected from a dude saying he realized he could easily go solo after the band's second album

Old 11-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #21
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

you started off a post with "nah" then went on to pretty much confirm my point

COOL

Old 11-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #22
Shallowed
Braindead

"the music of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' will be available for free to everyone. All 44 songs: free for ALL."

Maybe that's why he's shied away from promoting Oceania and Monuments as part of TbK. There's not enough money to be made from free shitty music and golden obelisks.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #23
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
golden obelisks.
ur dads got a golden obelisk

Old 11-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #24
FoolofaTook

tookish!

Old 11-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #25
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Beergarten by Heinekenscope

Old 11-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #26
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Bill Patrick Morgan is absolute GENIUS !!! GENIUS!!! DID I SAY GENIUS!!!!! i mean just listen to this lush harmonies, Spaces, Bill does not just show off fire works how fast I can play and how many chords I can fit into one beat. He just does it when he needs it. (Bach was best at that!, I love him just as much as Bill.) Bill is one of my favorite pianist Along with Keith Jarret, Thelonious Monk, Glenn Gould, from the beginning of my pianist career starting at age 18. For years I listened to him but at my early stages when I was tone deaf I loved to listen to him, but it was to much for my musical mind, after a while it was so overwhelming especially when I was trying to analyze it. I would just get tired and had to go listen to something else. Now that I can hear relative pitch well, it is absolute joy to listen to this REMARKABLE GENIUS OF THE 20 CENTURY. Did I say Genius again!? To me this are not just harmonies for the sake of harmonies this are necessary harmonies intensities and silences for breathing spaces to create paintings and atmospheres of very discreet place that really is the monumental moment of creation of what jazz image became. This are not just harmonies, these are paintings in 4 D time and space. Photos like the one from the movie Blade Runner. When Harrison Ford picks up the photo as Rachel left. And you can see in the photo, her mother and Rachel in motion on the photo. Very Poignant moment with the smokey, dirty, kitchen background. I miss Scott LaFarro on the Bass. Bill never recovered from this! His heroin was probably partly responsible for Bill to escape the pain he suffered loosing a friend, Colleague, and most importantly the Artist. But the crew is professional I know these cats not by name of course, but I would listen for study analysis and transcription with one of the most brilliant teachers on harmonies and specializing in Bill Evans Harmonies in Bay Area Don Hass They definitely have achieved enhancement of Bills Impressionistic painting in music. If I am not mistaken Bill was a classically trained pianist like myself before becoming Jazz pianist and French Impressionism especially Ravel was his delight. Even thou I don't want to be like Bill, thou I want to be influenced by him. I bow to the Genius! Electronic Music Composer and Pianist ObeeLektro.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #27
FoolofaTook

you know there's a new alcest album, right?

Old 11-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #28
trev
charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
i did not! checking RED now...

Old 11-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #29
FoolofaTook

Thumbs up

dude...

Old 11-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #30
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
no metal in my thread, thanks