Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
russticles
Pledge
 
Posts: 68
Default James Iha from the Smashing "Punkins" talks guitar

James gets asked about his guitar rig for APC, guy seems to pronounce Pumpkins as Punkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxoHvr2ICYA

The Les Paul he has on him was used with the Pumpkins

 
russticles is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:19 PM   #2
East Rocket
Ownz
 
Location: Denton Texas
Posts: 913
Default

Cool.

I've always wondered if James still has his telecaster from the early days.

 
East Rocket is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
he/she/it
Pledge
 
he/she/it's Avatar
 
Posts: 213
Default

Sweet, thanks for the link.

So James is all digital with an Axe FX these days, at least on tour. I remember when the guy who started Axe FX was (briefly) posting on the Harmony Central forums before having released anything, looking for idea feedback from the Amp forum, and the tube amp heads there ridiculed the idea of the digital Axe FX.

I find the pic of the Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ amp in his rig interesting. I guess maybe he's using that instead of a power amp that's intended for guitar? Or, he just shares a rack with the bass player.

Generally, James makes it sound like he isn't obsessed with gear. But then, so did Billy C in his own Premier Guitar rig rundown: https://youtu.be/_eVH5vUR8u8

Maybe they just don't have to be anymore, having gone through everything and already knowing what sounds they like and having the equipment to produce them.

Last edited by he/she/it : 05-10-2017 at 11:37 PM.

 
he/she/it is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:58 PM   #4
Ram27
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: Now we're going to play some songs that there's no fucking way you can talk over
Posts: 4,552
Default

That was the most James Iha interview ever

Love the MCIS silverburst Les Paul

I think the all digital stuff is kinda lame. At least, coming from 5 years of drumming and experiencing how crappy electric kits are trying to replicate acoustics. Probably better for guitar stuff though as that's already an electric signal that's just being processed a bit more

 
Ram27 is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:59 AM   #5
noonoo
Demi-God
 
noonoo's Avatar
 
Posts: 284
Default

stfu ram you dont know shit

 
noonoo is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: The Walla Wallaean Vale
Posts: 14,227
Default

THAT'S RIGHT. YOU TELL HIM

SHUT THE FUCK UP RAM27!!!! SHUT. THE FUCK. UP.

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: The Walla Wallaean Vale
Posts: 14,227
Default

(u don't know shit)

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #8
AveryLoren
Ownz
 
AveryLoren's Avatar
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 762
Default

This is just sad. He clearly is just cashing the check.

 
AveryLoren is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
Rider
Minion of Satan
 
Rider's Avatar
 
Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler
Posts: 9,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by he/she/it View Post
Sweet, thanks for the link.

So James is all digital with an Axe FX these days, at least on tour. I remember when the guy who started Axe FX was (briefly) posting on the Harmony Central forums before having released anything, looking for idea feedback from the Amp forum, and the tube amp heads there ridiculed the idea of the digital Axe FX.

I find the pic of the Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ amp in his rig interesting. I guess maybe he's using that instead of a power amp that's intended for guitar? Or, he just shares a rack with the bass player.

Generally, James makes it sound like he isn't obsessed with gear. But then, so did Billy C in his own Premier Guitar rig rundown: https://youtu.be/_eVH5vUR8u8

Maybe they just don't have to be anymore, having gone through everything and already knowing what sounds they like and having the equipment to produce them.
They show a bass immediately after showing the bass amp.

 
Rider is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: The Walla Wallaean Vale
Posts: 14,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
This is just sad. He clearly is just cashing the check.
AND providing us with a fascinating topic of discussion.

open your mind.

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:01 AM   #11
teh b0lly!!1
Socialphobic
 
teh b0lly!!1's Avatar
 
Location: Your soul
Posts: 13,782
Default

watching this interview feels like getting punched in the balls

waiting for this dude to utter out a single sentence in response to the simplest questions is like eating gravel and he basically has no fucking idea what's even happening

he doesn't even know what gauge strings he's using, i mean what the fuck

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 05-12-2017 at 04:27 AM. Reason: typo

 
teh b0lly!!1 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:25 AM   #12
TuralyonW3
Immortal
 
TuralyonW3's Avatar
 
Posts: 24,466
Default

And yet he's touring way bigger venues than corgan these days

 
TuralyonW3 is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #13
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: The Walla Wallaean Vale
Posts: 14,227
Default

The greatest men where always misunderstood in they're time. Christ, Baphomet, Tesla, and yes: bElli.

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #14
strtj
Oblivious Virgin
 
strtj's Avatar
 
Location: The Overland
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
watching this interview feels like getting punched in the balls

waiting for this dude to utter out a single sentence in response to the simplest questions is like eating gravel and he basically has no fucking idea what's even happening

he doesn't even know what gauge strings he's using, i mean what the fuck
Do you think he ever knew what gauge strings he was using? "It's on a note on my iphone" is the 2017 equivalent of "I'd have to ask my guitar tech." And his guitar tech used to be... ah well, you know. He's used to having someone else to do all of his technical thinking for him. All he's asked to do is to play the guitar, and he does that. Can you imagine the sort of passive person you would have to be to be in a band with BC for 12 years? And yet it still ground him down. He clearly doesn't know how to operate on tour without someone else taking care of all of the details, and I don't think it's his fault.

 
strtj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #15
toase
Apocalyptic Poster
 
toase's Avatar
 
Location: AA meetings
Posts: 3,123
Default

Lol at you an teh bolleh

 
toase is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #16
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: The Walla Wallaean Vale
Posts: 14,227
Default

Can you imagine Takeshi not knowing what guage his double headed axe's strings are?

Takeshi >>>>>>>> James

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #17
russticles
Pledge
 
Posts: 68
Default

I think James just isn't that much of a 'gear-head' and doesn't care that much. I mean, he has a guitar in a weird tuning just to make this repeating pattern easier to play in ONE song. He has ONE guitar tuned ONE way to play ONE song cause he doesn't want to repeatedly play the same pattern in their C# tuning.

The interview/gear-talk was pretty painful but it's just James being James, it's just the way he is.

 
russticles is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #18
Run To Me
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Run To Me's Avatar
 
Location: Where the frog spoils the leaf
Posts: 3,339
Default

Anyone itt who didn't write mayo can fuck right off with the james hate

 
Run To Me is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #19
Ram27
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: Now we're going to play some songs that there's no fucking way you can talk over
Posts: 4,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtj View Post
Can you imagine the sort of passive person you would have to be to be in a band with BC for 12 years? And yet it still ground him down.
That's a really good point

James' attitude here should be no surprise to anyone. He's the perfect foil to Billy

 
Ram27 is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #20
toase
Apocalyptic Poster
 
toase's Avatar
 
Location: AA meetings
Posts: 3,123
Default

some people don't like to give interviews

 
toase is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #21
The Omega Concern
Minion of Satan
 
The Omega Concern's Avatar
 
Location: stay, far, away
Posts: 8,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russticles View Post
I think James just isn't that much of a 'gear-head' and doesn't care that much. I mean, he has a guitar in a weird tuning just to make this repeating pattern easier to play in ONE song. He has ONE guitar tuned ONE way to play ONE song cause he doesn't want to repeatedly play the same pattern in their C# tuning.

The interview/gear-talk was pretty painful but it's just James being James, it's just the way he is.

Yah, he prolly doesn't care that much, but knows more than he leads on because he'd just as well get the interview over with.


On the other side of that there's a guy like Devin Townsend, consummate gearhead and the type that can make his own pedals.

 
The Omega Concern is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #22
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Funbags's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,063
Default

I guess James just doesn't want to be known as a "guitar dude". Billy H is definitely a guitar dude.

 
Funbags is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #23
Brisk
Pledge
 
Brisk's Avatar
 
Posts: 122
Default

7 mins 26... who really stands like that with their hands in their pocket

 
Brisk is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Albert0 Thread alberto Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 151 07-06-2017 01:20 AM
Oceania Lyrics- Thank you for the words Cool As Ice Cream Pumpkins Archive 42 01-16-2013 02:22 AM
i have to do an informative essay in english about ANYTHING D. Music Board Archive 21 09-09-2007 08:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2014