Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #61
fuzzyroes
Banned

MCIS era> Adore era> Machina era> Zwan era> Solo era> Zeitgeist era> Mike Byrne era

Old 04-16-2014, 12:40 AM   #62
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
The piece posted there isn't criticism.
Well, technically, that's exactly what it is. It's an appraisal and analysis of his character and choices (some in conjunction with work he has released) rather than a critique purely based on his work.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:23 AM   #63
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowAsILead View Post
I did use the word "rich", but not in that context. I believe the operative word here was successful. Someone who's nobody nitpicking at someone who's worked hard for their success to be somebody. That's the tragedy here. That instead of making a name for himself legitly, he's trying to put someone else down to boost himself up, which is sad.
this is fucking dumb, guy may not be rich and famous but he worked hard enough as a writer to get hired by one of the most popular cultural magazines in the world

shut the fuck up, nobody

Old 04-16-2014, 01:26 AM   #64
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
Success is an arbitrary word, so is "hard work" for that matter. The author of that writeup gave you seven reasons why you might consider him an asshole, none of them have to do with anyone's station in life. Being famous, rich, and/or "successful" does not give someone special privilege that protects them from criticism. In general, doing so can be a dangerous thing.
seriously there's hundereds of people who work harder than bill at music and are still much less successful than he is. Melvins work like crazy, put out tons of material, play 50 shows a year just for the fuck of it

oceania is not a album by someone who is working hard, it's an album by someone who is living on residuals from several massive pop hits that is now phoning it in

anyone who witnessed even part of the siddhartha thing would be hard pressed to say bill is still "working hard"

Old 04-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #65
FollowAsILead
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
this is fucking dumb, guy may not be rich and famous but he worked hard enough as a writer to get hired by one of the most popular cultural magazines in the world

shut the fuck up, nobody
Hit a nerve, huh?

Quote:
oceania is not a album by someone who is working hard, it's an album by someone who is living on residuals from several massive pop hits that is now phoning it in
I thought/think Oceania was/is awesome. So I guess, if that's what "phoning it in" is, keep phoning it in, Billy, keep phoning it in..

Old 04-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #66
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Billy, keep phoning it in..

Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #67
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

will you write my songs?
will you shake the hands?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #68
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Hit a nerve, huh?

I thought/think Oceania was/is awesome. So I guess, if that's what "phoning it in" is, keep phoning it in, Billy, keep phoning it in..
You sound like a casual fan

Old 04-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #69
FollowAsILead
Pledge

I enjoyed TBK quite thoroughly.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 PM   #70
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Today one of my coworkers was asking me "what's the forum you go to, Insane Clown Posse" or something? Obv I was pretty offended and then had to show him the Mircales video, which he somehow hadn't seen, so he'd understand why that's such an offensive notion.

But anyway the point was "he knew it was a band that people hated"

Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 AM   #71
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
Today one of my coworkers was asking me "what's the forum you go to, Insane Clown Posse" or something? Obv I was pretty offended and then had to show him the Mircales video, which he somehow hadn't seen, so he'd understand why that's such an offensive notion.

But anyway the point was "he knew it was a band that people hated"
it's sad that this is unsurprising. i've just given up saying that pumpkins from 1991-2000 are my favorite band. i just say nine inch nails now. and that's probably not technically true. trent just hasn't embarrassed me like billy has (yes i know trent has embarrassing lyrics i do not care and i have never cared so just don't bother)

Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #72
FollowAsILead
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
i've just given up saying that pumpkins from 1991-2000 are my favorite band. i just say nine inch nails now. and that's probably not technically true. trent just hasn't embarrassed me like billy has
Weird. I just tell people straight up. "My favourite band is The Smashing Pumpkins".. I feel no shame.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #73
Trotskilicious
Banned

yeah it's apparently the only thing you've ever listened to

Old 04-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #74
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
I feel no shame.
obviously

Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #75
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Seriously though, why be ashamed for music (or films, books...) you enjoy?
That doesn't make much sense once you're out of peer pressure in middle school and care which kids might label you as as uncool for enjoying the "wrong" band.

Bono makes my head hurt whenever I see a second of him on tv, but that's his problem. Doesn't change that I'm not ashamed to love a bunch of U2 songs.

Last edited by pavementtune : 04-17-2014 at 09:30 PM.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #76
FollowAsILead
Pledge

Quote:
yeah it's apparently the only thing you've ever listened to
You're cute when you're angry.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #77
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Seriously though, why be ashamed for music (or films, books...) you enjoy?
That doesn't make much sense once you're out of peer pressure in middle school and care which kids might label you as as uncool for enjoying the "wrong" band.

Bono makes my head hurt whenever I see a second of him on tv, but that's his problem. Doesn't change that I'm not ashamed to love a bunch of U2 songs.
no, the problem is that i hate everything he has done in every possible way after 2005. so he is embarrassing. i'm not embarrassed by the fact that i like gish through machina 2.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:01 AM   #78
Trotskilicious
Banned

i think you should be embarrassed with yourself if you like limp bizkit, nickelback or coldplay

i have to be honest i am a little embarrassed i like robyn and charli xcx

Old 04-18-2014, 04:37 AM   #79
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I'm mostly too lazy to clarify what I mean by Smashing Pumpkins. I couldn't say they are one of my favorite bands and mean it. I could if the name would have been laid to rest in 2000, but the way it is I'd want to add "no, not the one-man show, and not Zeitgeist, the other SP." I just speak of specific albums instead.
Most laypeople who aren't that invested in SP's activities wouldn't know about that shit and only know SP for their big hits and albums.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #80
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
i am a little embarrassed i like robyn
well that's just complete nonsense

Old 04-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #81
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Well now let's keep this discussion about whom it started: HereIsNoWhy4U. Is he really the upstanding gentleman he claims to be or is he just another internet nerd? I want proof.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 AM   #82
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Coldplay are awesome. Fuck you guys. I like them and not even as a guilty pleasure.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #83
Cool As Ice Cream

they're very talented: all their music is stolen from other artists, yet they somehow manage to make all of their songs the worst songs ever recorded

Old 04-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #84
Cool As Ice Cream

not many people could pull that off

Old 04-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #85
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
they're very talented: all their music is stolen from other artists, yet they somehow manage to make all of their songs the worst songs ever recorded
You could probably say that about Parachutes and X&Y and the new one. The part about stealing from other artists. Parachutes sounds like Radiohead and X&Y sounds like U2 for the most part. But on A Rush of Blood and Viva La Vida they really did make some strides in coming up with their own sound.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #86
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

dad rock

Old 04-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #87
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Most laypeople who aren't that invested in SP's activities wouldn't know about that shit and only know SP for their big hits and albums.
I was referring to situations where the topic of favorite albums/bands comes up. The people I find myself talking to are interested in music, so usually they are aware of these things regarding post-90s SP: band broke up - there was a half-revival, another album and a tour in white dresses (Zeitgeist) - Corgan is the only original member left and is still touring and releasing albums as Smashing Pumpkins with a kid drummer.

Quote:
i think you should be embarrassed with yourself if you like limp bizkit, nickelback or coldplay

Coldplay is on the same (embarrassment-)level as Nickelback for you?! Parachutes isn't a bad album at all imo, neither is A Rush of Blood to the Head.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #88
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

yeah that statement was a little odd.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #89
Mayfuck
Banned

limp bizkit is the best one out of the three

Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #90
MusicMan4

cold play is good and limp bizkit break stuff is a genuine classic