Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
Effloresce
Banned

Exclamation Senator Tim Johnson, D-SD, undergoes surgery after having stroke symptoms

Quote:
S.D. Sen. Tim Johnson Undergoes Surgery
S.D. Sen. Tim Johnson Undergoes Surgery After Being Hospitalized With Symptoms of a Stroke
By MARY CLARE
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson underwent surgery after being hospitalized with symptoms of a stroke just weeks before his party, with only a one-vote majority, was to take control of the Senate.

The nature of the surgery or the South Dakota lawmaker's condition was not known early Thursday.

There was no formal announcement of the operation, which lasted past midnight Wednesday and was disclosed by an official who spoke on condition of anonymity, citing the sensitive nature of the subject.

Apart from the risk to his health, Johnson's illness carried political ramifications. Democrats emerged from last month's elections with a 51-49 Senate majority. If he were forced to relinquish his seat, a replacement would be named by South Dakota's GOP Gov. Mike Rounds.

A Republican appointee would create a 50-50 tie, and allow the GOP to retain Senate control.

Johnson, who turns 60 later this month, was admitted to George Washington University hospital at midday after experiencing what his office initially said was a possible stroke.

His spokeswoman, Julianne Fisher, told reporters that it had been determined that the senator had suffered neither a stroke nor a heart attack.

But several hours after she spoke, Dr. John Eisold, the Capitol physician, called that into question with a statement of his own.

"Senator Tim Johnson was admitted to the George Washington University Hospital today with the symptoms of a stroke. He is currently under the care of physicians at the George Washington University Hospital."

Fisher and Eisold both said they did not intend to issue further updates on Johnson's condition until Thursday.

Johnson became disoriented during a conference call with reporters, stuttering in response to a question.

Before he ended the call, Johnson appeared to recover and asked whether there were any additional questions.

Fisher said he then walked back to his Capitol office but appeared to not be feeling well. The Capitol physician came to his office and examined him, and it was decided he should go to the hospital.

He was taken to the hospital by ambulance around noon, Fisher said.

"It was caught very early," she said.

In its earlier statement, Johnson's office had said he had suffered a possible stroke and was "undergoing a comprehensive evaluation by the stroke team."

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada went to the hospital to check on Johnson. He called Johnson a "dear friend to me and to all of us here in the Senate."

The White House also issued a statement wishing him a speedy recovery. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Senator Johnson and his family," said spokesman Alex Conant.

If the Senate is split 50-50, the vice president breaks ties. That is Republican Dick Cheney at present. Johnson is up for re-election in 2008.

South Dakota Secretary of State Chris Nelson said there were no special restrictions on such an appointment by the governor and a replacement would not have to be from the same political party.

Johnson, a centrist Democrat, was first elected to the Senate in 1996 after serving 10 years in the House. He narrowly defeated Republican John Thune in his 2002 re-election bid. Thune defeated Sen. Tom Daschle, the former Senate Democratic leader, two years later.

Johnson underwent prostate cancer treatment in 2004, and subsequent tests have shown him to be clear of the disease.

Johnson is the second senator to become ill after the Nov. 7 election. Wyoming Sen. Craig Thomas, a Republican, was diagnosed with leukemia on Election Day. He is back at work.

Associated Press writers Laurie Kellman and Natasha Metzler in Washington and Dirk Lammers in Sioux Falls contributed to this report.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2724985

Oh boy...

I have a feeling Dick Cheney just got the final say in the Senate.

On CNN they basically said that while the surgery may be successful, he still may have suffered permanent damage to an area of the brain that is responsible for speech, and understanding both speech and written word. Which would basically make him completely incapable of being a US Senator.

Senators should have a #2 backup just like Presidents do.

Last edited by Effloresce : 12-14-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

is there any chance the South Dakota governor will stick to the people's wishes and replace him with a Democrat?

Old 12-14-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
BlueStar
Newly independent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
is there any chance the South Dakota governor will stick to the people's wishes and replace him with a Democrat?
There will be way too much pressure on him from the Repubs. The Repub staffers on the Hill are already practically jumping for joy. However, there could be a special election.

From a CBS broadcast...

Quote:
As for the legal question, CBS’s report went on to say that South Dakota state law says that the governor can appoint a replacement when there is a “vacancy,” but Secretary of State Chris Nelson explained that it’s unclear whether a seat held by an incapacitated senator would be considered “vacant.”

CBS added that unless Johnson dies, state officials “unsure of how to proceed if he’s incapacitated.”

Old 12-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
Effloresce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStar
There will be way too much pressure on him from the Repubs. The Repub staffers on the Hill are already practically jumping for joy.
Absolutely disgusting.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
Mayfuck
Banned

No doubt the republicans are praying for his death. Sick bastards. Oh who am I kidding, if it was a sick republican with a democrat on deck I would be thinking the same thing. Shit, a plane crashing into the republican national convention would probably be the best thing for America. I'm getting bloodlust just thinking about it.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
rocksteady
Banned

Location: where the women have nothing on but the radio. turned up to ten. too loud for me to think.
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfuck
Shit, a plane crashing into the republican national convention would probably be the best thing for America. I'm getting bloodlust just thinking about it.
BLACKLISTED

Old 12-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
Toast
Apocalyptic Poster

Please don't die Senator! We need your useless body for political purposes!

Old 12-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
The people voted for a person to be their Senator, not a party. The people's wishes were for Tim Johnson to be their Senator. They also wished to have a Republican governor who has the power to appoint replacement Senators if needed. The vote for governor counts just as much in representing the people's wishes as the vote for Senate did.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #9
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist
The people voted for a person to be their Senator, not a party. The people's wishes were for Tim Johnson to be their Senator. They also wished to have a Republican governor who has the power to appoint replacement Senators if needed. The vote for governor counts just as much in representing the people's wishes as the vote for Senate did.
here come the "REBUPLICANS STOLE THE SENATE" chants

Old 12-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #10
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

That seems like a fairly stupid system, it should be decided via special election really.

Quote:
They also wished to have a Republican governor who has the power to appoint replacement Senators if needed.
Something tells me that wasnt really on peoples minds when voting for Governor.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:08 PM   #11
Effloresce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Boy
That seems like a fairly stupid system, it should be decided via special election really.

Agreed.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:19 PM   #12
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan

Quote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. What a ridiculous system. Seriously, if this had happened to a Republican senator and there was a Democratic governor, I'd be saying the same thing.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:04 PM   #13
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

i knew a democratic controlled senate was too good to be true.

even if the guy is alive and relatively functional he probably won't be compentent enough to work anymore. the stroke sounds pretty bad

Old 12-16-2006, 01:25 AM   #14
Nimrod's Son

One house under each party would be awesome

Old 12-16-2006, 01:45 AM   #15
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Its too close to everything being under one party to really be any good.

Unless it was the democrats, that is.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:53 AM   #16
candycane
Demi-God

I feel sorry for the suposed future majority leader Harry Reid. He visited the guy in the hospital the other day. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that room. I just wonder if there was any screaming, shaking or bitch slaping of the corpse going on. I'm sure some tears were shed.

Last edited by candycane : 12-16-2006 at 06:20 AM.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:26 AM   #17
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I think it makes some sense. You can hardly afford to leave the state's Senate seat empty while you go through a special election, especially as closely divided as things are. Even a special election probably wouldn't be completed before Congress went back in session. There has to be some mechanism in place to get someone in there quick.

That said, I think there are probably better ways to do it.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:56 AM   #18
FutureBoy
Ownz

Thumbs down

Quote:
I think it makes some sense. You can hardly afford to leave the state's Senate seat empty while you go through a special election, especially as closely divided as things are. Even a special election probably wouldn't be completed before Congress went back in session. There has to be some mechanism in place to get someone in there quick.
There have been congressman out of commission, for whatever reason, before. I would hope the system could survive one senator being out of office for a while. Quickly filling the void should not come before people being able to choose who is representing them.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:58 AM   #19
FutureBoy
Ownz

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by candycane
I just wonder if there was any screaming, shaking or bitch slaping of the corpse going on. I'm sure some tears were shed.
Last I heard he was responsive and prognosis was good, why do people keep talking like this?

Old 12-16-2006, 07:02 AM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

BECAUSE IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD

Old 12-16-2006, 10:35 AM   #21
Effloresce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son
One house under each party would be awesome
The GOP deserves absolutely nothing after a destructive six years being drunk with power.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:40 PM   #22
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effloresce
The GOP deserves absolutely nothing after a destructive six years being drunk with power.
The Dems had 40 before that.

Let's break it up, mkay?

Old 12-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #23
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

every party does stupid shit at some point in american history. the GOP isn't what it used to be

dems definitely need to take the majority for now until things get ironed out. after that i think everybody wants to see more of a balance

Old 12-16-2006, 06:28 PM   #24
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son
The Dems had 40 before that.

Let's break it up, mkay?
What about the Reagan years? THOSE DEMS DRUNK WITH POWER.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #25
The Omega Concern
Banned

wouldn't put past Bush to pull a Putin here with this...

Cynicism ought to run both ways here...if all those dead bodies next to the Clinton's count for something the timing of this Senator going down like this is rather curious.

anyway, look, our Politicians have become Globalist to a large degree these days. Just today a few of them stood with the OPEC cartel and agreed to cut oil production just in time for Winter...pretty much screwing over the avg. American Joe for no other reason other than they have leverage on us these days cause our Pol's have been selling us out for some time now.

D or R...doesn't really matter anymore.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:50 AM   #26
BlueStar
Newly independent

Quote:
Not necessarily directly related to the thread, but just thought I would note that all House seats have to be filled by special election and some states have special elections for Senate seats and some states have restrictions on who the governor can appoint...

special election: Alaska, Massachussetts, Minnesota, Oklahoma, and Oregon

governor appoints until a special election is held: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Vermont, Washington

governor must appoint from the same party: Arizona and Hawaii

governor must appoint from list of nominees submitted by incumbent party: Utah and Wyoming

Old 01-12-2007, 07:38 AM   #27
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Just an update really:

Sen. Johnson Transfers Out of Intensive Care
By MARY CLARE JALONICK
AP

WASHINGTON (Jan. 11) - Sen. Tim Johnson has been transferred out of intensive care and has said some words, his doctor said Thursday, nearly a month after the South Dakota Democrat suffered a brain hemorrhage.

An MRI on Wednesday showed the speech centers in the senator's brain were spared injury in the initial hemorrhage Dec. 13, said Johnson's neurosurgeon, Dr. Vivek Deshmukh.

"This is confirmed by the fact that he is following commands and has started to say words," Deshmukh said in a statement released by Johnson's office.

Johnson will be participating in "aggressive therapy" in the inpatient rehabilitation unit at George Washington University Hospital, the statement said.

Johnson's doctors have said that when he arrived at the hospital, he was feeling weakness on his right side, and that condition will require physical therapy.

The senator has responded correctly when asked his name, Fisher said, though there is not much sound coming out of his mouth because of a tracheotomy tube still in his throat.

"It is clear that he understands that people are introducing themselves, he is looking at name badges to try and associate it with the person, he is saying words and responding to commands," she said. "It's clear the electricity is on and the system is humming."

The progress is slow, Fisher said, but he is improving.

"The fact that Tim is beginning to use words is remarkable as is his strength and determination," said his wife, Barb Johnson, in the statement. "He even maintains his sense of humor when I share e-mails about his grandsons' adventures."

On Tuesday the senator's condition was upgraded from critical to fair, and his doctors said he no longer needed a ventilator to help him breathe. He is being weaned off the tracheotomy tube that remains in his neck, his office said Thursday.

His office has said that his recovery is expected to take several months.

Johnson was diagnosed with the arteriovenous malformation, a condition, often present from birth, that causes arteries and veins to grow abnormally large, become tangled and sometimes burst. He was rushed to the hospital after becoming disoriented on a phone call with reporters, and he underwent emergency surgery hours later.

His long-term prognosis is unclear. Doctors have said he is steadily improving and has been responsive to his family and physicians, following commands, squeezing his wife's hand and understanding speech. He needed the ventilator to assist with his breathing after fluid developed in his lungs as a consequence of his initial hemorrhage, his doctors said.

In cases like Johnson's, doctors often depend on the patient's ability to answer questions to assess any cognitive damage caused by the hemorrhage.

Johnson's sudden illness raised questions about the Democrats' one-vote majority in the upcoming Senate session. South Dakota's Republican governor, Mike Rounds, would appoint a replacement if Johnson's seat were vacated by his death or resignation.

A Republican appointee would create a 50-50 tie and allow the GOP to gain Senate control because of Vice President Dick Cheney's tie-breaking vote.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #28
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious
What about the Reagan years? THOSE DEMS DRUNK WITH POWER.
Dualing wings would be nice.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #29
redbull
Immortal

oh hey he seems to be fine, /thread plz.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:01 AM   #30
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

And another....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070209/...ailing_senator
Sen. Tim Johnson working from hospital

By MARY CLARE JALONICK, Associated Press WriterFri Feb 9, 5:13 PM ET

Sen. Tim Johnson (news, bio, voting record) is reading news clippings and starting to do some office work from the hospital, almost two months after suffering a life-threatening brain hemorrhage. "At this point, he has requested more contact with office and is looking for updates from staff," his office said in a statement Friday.

Spokeswoman Julianne Fisher said the South Dakota Democrat is starting slowly.

"We do not anticipate him back (in the Senate) for several weeks," Fisher said. "We are bringing work to him rather than him coming to us. His first priority still is rehabilitation."

Johnson has been undergoing physical, occupational and speech therapy since he was transferred to rehabilitation from intensive care at George Washington University Hospital last month. He recently began to read and speak in full sentences, according to statements from his doctors.

Part of Johnson's therapy has been to deal with weakness on his right side. Doctors have said Johnson showed that weakness when he arrived at the hospital Dec. 13.

He was rushed to the hospital after becoming disoriented during a phone call with reporters and underwent emergency surgery hours later. He was diagnosed with arteriovenous malformation, a condition that causes arteries and veins to grow abnormally large, become tangled and sometimes burst.

Johnson was sedated and on a ventilator for several weeks, due to fluid that developed in his lungs as a result of the initial hemorrhage. He was upgraded from critical to fair condition on Jan. 9.

The senator is making decisions about his health care and expressing opinions on his daily activities, the hospital's chief of rehabilitation, Dr. Philip Marion, said in a statement released by Johnson's office.

"He continues to initiate more conversations and questions," Marion said. "His therapy now *******s computer exercises and problem-solving activities."

Fisher said recovery is still expected to take some time, saying, "This is not going to be full speed yet."

Johnson's wife, Barbara, said the family is impressed with his progress: "Even though there is a long road ahead to complete recovery, we feel that we have gotten 'our Tim' back."

The senator's sudden illness raised questions about the Democrats' one-vote majority in the Senate. South Dakota's Republican governor, Mike Rounds, would appoint a replacement if Johnson's seat were vacated by his death or resignation.

My feelings on the matter: this is good