Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-26-2002, 12:10 PM   #1
SBG
Pledge

Unhappy Billy's wealth and the Industry... the fight continues.

I'm the one known as Sunburstgelitin... I know that the O board is considered a joke to many people in the more serious boards like this and Blamo (could I have a link by the way?). But the main question that crosses my mind is "Should I bother trying to educate people on the industry?" If you are interested in it, what sparked off your interest? If I've got any facts wrong, please correct me.

http://sony6.infopop.net/3/OpenTopic...3&m=9852993486

Old 11-27-2002, 03:20 PM   #2
mono
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Re: Billy's wealth and the Industry... the fight continues.

Quote:
Originally posted by SBG
could I have a link by the way
Okay, here's one:

www.smashingpumpkins.com/truefansforum

Old 11-27-2002, 04:07 PM   #3
SBG
Pledge

Red face

My freinds used to give that link to kids who beat them at internet games as a 'prize'. They got banned from the command and conquer web page. Hehe, I'm wise to that.

Old 11-27-2002, 05:13 PM   #4
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Like Jeopardy, I think you should have phrased this post as a question, and made it more a general thing than a Billy thing. I think a lot of those people are confusing 'worth' (what other people would pay to control the assets and output of the artist) with the amount they actually own. They're attributing amounts in the millions to small artists who just haven't made it that big - it's easy to see why, when you consider how much the record companies/managers/producers/anyone else involved make; they're just confused about how the pie is sliced

Old 11-27-2002, 09:19 PM   #5
Death rock boy
Pledge

Maybe you should just not care?

After all, ultimately every contract, deal and issue is dealt with seperately from band to band and company to company, so trying to educate them is just not worth it...

And besides, look at the way some of those kids write, they ain't getting a job in McDonalds, let alone being artistic idols to a legion of disenchanted youths...

Old 11-28-2002, 10:44 AM   #6
mojo
Ownz

i laughed like a drain when I read that post which said billy was worth $200 million dollars... more like $2 million i expect.

Old 11-28-2002, 03:13 PM   #7
SBG
Pledge

Next time I won't bother that much then, I just thought since I wanted to know other people would. It's some kind of paradox that allows you to be aware of esoteric knowlege and then be completely naive.
But I feel I made an impact, I was relieved to see that the amateur accountants crawled out of the woodwork and made a comprimise at $70,000,000 and compared Billy to U2 instead of Bill Gates, but I just didn't feel satisified, plus I couldn't read what I was replying to, there's something evil going on at the o-board as far as the script in the reply window is concerned.

Old 11-28-2002, 11:31 PM   #8
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

i bet the MCIS tour made some money

didn't tool make like 10 million last year in touring?

Old 11-29-2002, 10:58 AM   #9
SBG
Pledge

made and net are completely different. I'm sure the Tool tour generated $10 million dollars, but that is simply the amount of money spent on (the promotion), around them (the roadies), and everything else. Even if Tool were given $10 million dollars, they'd have to split it between them, lose a 20% commision, and pay tax, leaving them with about a million each.
A band is a business and should be treated as such, they have huge expenses, taxes, all that shit. They probably netted about $1million to split if that much... Do you know where you read the quote so you could copy and paste it directly? Language in these cases are extremely misleading to the lay man.

Old 11-29-2002, 11:19 AM   #10
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by SBG
made and net are completely different. I'm sure the Tool tour generated $10 million dollars, but that is simply the amount of money spent on (the promotion), around them (the roadies), and everything else. Even if Tool were given $10 million dollars, they'd have to split it between them, lose a 20% commision, and pay tax, leaving them with about a million each.
A band is a business and should be treated as such, they have huge expenses, taxes, all that shit. They probably netted about $1million to split if that much... Do you know where you read the quote so you could copy and paste it directly? Language in these cases are extremely misleading to the lay man.
i forget the quote, i was just making a comparison, i bet MCIS "netted" more than that. i don't think it would be too far fetched to say corgan has $10 million dollars after his 12 odd years in the industry. than again it is like everyone said, we don't know what his investments are and what not.

Last edited by wounded : 11-29-2002 at 11:28 AM.

Old 11-29-2002, 12:57 PM   #11
Jesse Miller
Ownz

Thumbs down Re: Billy's wealth and the Industry... the fight continues.

Quote:
Originally posted by SBG
I'm the one known as Sunburstgelitin... I know that the O board is considered a joke to many people in the more serious boards like this and Blamo (could I have a link by the way?). But the main question that crosses my mind is "Should I bother trying to educate people on the industry?" If you are interested in it, what sparked off your interest? If I've got any facts wrong, please correct me.

http://sony6.infopop.net/3/OpenTopic...3&m=9852993486
Please give up.

Old 11-29-2002, 04:29 PM   #12
SBG
Pledge

Okay.

Old 11-29-2002, 06:27 PM   #13
SBG
Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by wounded

i forget the quote, i was just making a comparison, i bet MCIS "netted" more than that. i don't think it would be too far fetched to say corgan has $10 million dollars after his 12 odd years in the industry. than again it is like everyone said, we don't know what his investments are and what not.
Actually, I'm sure Billy has got a few million, maybe in the double figures as well, since I've just (embarrasingly for me) discovered this site: http://www.clearchannelcollegeentert...asp?Artist=%25

Tool gross 200k a show, do you know how long they were touring? Then we can easily work out how much they actually got. I must be wrong somewhere, cause I know they weren't only touring five days a week for ten weeks.

Old 11-29-2002, 09:38 PM   #14
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by SBG

Actually, I'm sure Billy has got a few million, maybe in the double figures as well, since I've just (embarrasingly for me) discovered this site: http://www.clearchannelcollegeentert...asp?Artist=%25

Tool gross 200k a show, do you know how long they were touring? Then we can easily work out how much they actually got. I must be wrong somewhere, cause I know they weren't only touring five days a week for ten weeks.
i don't know i thought i head 10 million. i think that 200k is how much you have to pay them to play at your venue i'm sure that has to be divided up, plus they probably get merchandise and some ticket sales i guess.

Old 11-30-2002, 08:04 AM   #15
SBG
Pledge

I read something simalar in Kerrang, but they said they generated that much. And no, 200k isn't what they'd get just to play, it's the gross amount that the promoters would recieve, they'd then take a percentage, give the money to the accountant of the band, who would take his and the managers percentage as if he had recieve 200k (the manager and accountant both recieve a percentage of the bands gross income). Then the crew and tour bands get paid, then what's left is taxed and split among the band. I truly wish things were as simple as "It says 200k, Tool get 200k", because then I'd feel vindicated buying a ticket for a rock show because my moneys going to Tool, but that isn't the case. It's still a lot of money, but it's not what most people would expect.

p.s., Just ring the company up and ask, you live in America right? There's no real reason they wouldn't tell you how it works.