Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2002, 04:29 AM   #1
Best Looking Boy

Post So What Exactly Is Wrong With Wearing Band Shirts?

I don't own hoards, but I have a few that I wear. I like a lot of the designs more than normal t-shirts usually.

Old 04-08-2002, 05:06 AM   #2
Fish

Nothing, just don't wear a shirt of the band that's playing to their gig. I wear band shirts most of the time because i'd prefer to advertise a band I like than a clothing company.

Old 04-08-2002, 05:09 AM   #3
GhostChild

Because wearing a bands shirt to a show is gay...cus it means you actually like them. Cus we all know we go to shows for bands we don't like.

-Jason
np: DMB - You Never Know 04.07.02

------------------
I bump into MD tapers at shows

Old 04-08-2002, 05:13 AM   #4
Best Looking Boy

I didn't say to a show.

Old 04-08-2002, 05:23 AM   #5
Glitter Burned

In a perfect world, nothing.

But in the real world things are more complicated.

Band t-shirts can be organized into these categories:

INDIE CRED. (ie: indie bands nobody's heard of or has barely heard of
but
not enough to know any tracks)

PUNK CRED. (ie: Fugazi, Sonic Youth, Saves the Day, Sex Pistols, the
Clash,
etc.)

ALTERNAFUCK CRED. (ie: Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Tori Amos, Radiohead,
KMFDM,
etc.)

LOSER CRED. (ie: Slipknot, ICP, Drowning Pool, Linkin Park, Coal
Chamber,
Bizkit, etc.)

Reality is such that wearing almost any band t-shirt of any kind fits you
into one of these groups, which in turn negates you as a true individual.
Wearing a band t-shirt is the same thing as wearing a "Hi! My Name Is..." name tag at convention. The type of shirt dictates the type of convention.
Think of the political parties. It's the same thing as signing away creativity and personal style to wear almost any kind of band t-shirt, and that's why they're bad. It really has nothing to do with the music,
usually.

Some artists exist in a kind of null sphere where wearing their shirts and merchandise actually does make you as cool as you wish you could be, but these people/bands are rare. Bjork is one of them. Anyone who wears a Bjork t-shirt probably won't get bothered by anybody and will be seen as
someone to be respected. Typically electronic acts like Bjork, Underworld
and Squarepusher give their fans this luxury of not having to be associated with any "scene" or subculture, but the wearer will still lose minor points when standing next to someone in a blank, solid-colored shirt.

A lack of originality and style is inherent in the choice to wear a band t-shirt instead of proper clothing. Wearing these t-shirts tells everyone that you are not only a boring and uncomplicated person, but that you can't put together an outfit in the morning. Depending on what city you live
in, this lack of fashion sense can be worse than pledging your allegiance to one
of the aforementioned sub-cultures.

Some people argue that wearing a band t-shirt is not a true reflection of
your soul and personality and that you're obviously much more of a person
than a stupid shirt. Well, if that were true you wouldn't be wearing the
individuality-nullifier in the first place, would you?

[This message has been edited by Glitter Burned (edited 04-08-2002).]

Old 04-08-2002, 05:29 AM   #6
Best Looking Boy

Well that's not necessarily true I've talked to people who have no idea who the band is but they just think the design is cool. It doesn't really say anything to you unless you know the band, otherwise it's just a shirt.

Old 04-08-2002, 06:31 AM   #7
strange_one

if it feels good, wear it

Old 04-08-2002, 10:34 AM   #8
Johnny Swallow

Thumbs down

It's even worse when people in the band wear their own shirts on stage.

Old 04-08-2002, 10:37 AM   #9
strange_one

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
It's even worse when people in the band wear their own shirts on stage.
iron maiden do that, but they rock ass so it doesn't matter

Old 04-08-2002, 10:39 AM   #10
THRILLHO

Quote:
Originally posted by Glitter Burned:
In a perfect world, nothing.

But in the real world things are more complicated.

Band t-shirts can be organized into these categories:

INDIE CRED. (ie: indie bands nobody's heard of or has barely heard of
but
not enough to know any tracks)

Clash,
etc.)

ALTERNAFUCK CRED. (ie: Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Tori Amos, Radiohead,
KMFDM,
etc.)

LOSER CRED. (ie: Slipknot, ICP, Drowning Pool, Linkin Park, Coal
Chamber,
Bizkit, etc.)

Reality is such that wearing almost any band t-shirt of any kind fits you
into one of these groups, which in turn negates you as a true individual.
Wearing a band t-shirt is the same thing as wearing a "Hi! My Name Is..." name tag at convention. The type of shirt dictates the type of convention.
Think of the political parties. It's the same thing as signing away creativity and personal style to wear almost any kind of band t-shirt, and that's why they're bad. It really has nothing to do with the music,
usually.

Some artists exist in a kind of null sphere where wearing their shirts and merchandise actually does make you as cool as you wish you could be, but these people/bands are rare. Bjork is one of them. Anyone who wears a Bjork t-shirt probably won't get bothered by anybody and will be seen as
someone to be respected. Typically electronic acts like Bjork, Underworld
and Squarepusher give their fans this luxury of not having to be associated with any "scene" or subculture, but the wearer will still lose minor points when standing next to someone in a blank, solid-colored shirt.

A lack of originality and style is inherent in the choice to wear a band t-shirt instead of proper clothing. Wearing these t-shirts tells everyone that you are not only a boring and uncomplicated person, but that you can't put together an outfit in the morning. Depending on what city you live
in, this lack of fashion sense can be worse than pledging your allegiance to one
of the aforementioned sub-cultures.

Some people argue that wearing a band t-shirt is not a true reflection of
your soul and personality and that you're obviously much more of a person
than a stupid shirt. Well, if that were true you wouldn't be wearing the
individuality-nullifier in the first place, would you?

[This message has been edited by Glitter Burned (edited 04-08-2002).]
well typed! *applause*

Old 04-08-2002, 11:02 AM   #11
Stupid Name

jesus christ, they're just shirts. if you like the band, wear the shirt. fuck what everyone else thinks.

------------------
Beware of these angels with their wings glued on...

Old 04-08-2002, 11:31 AM   #12
TiaraGurl

Quote:
Originally posted by Best Looking Boy:
Well that's not necessarily true I've talked to people who have no idea who the band is but they just think the design is cool.
see to me this is even worse.

Old 04-08-2002, 11:41 AM   #13
Mayfuck

I don't wear band shirts 'cause i'm not 13 anymore http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/redface.gif

Old 04-08-2002, 12:23 PM   #14
the_boy

Red face

Man, you just CANT be 'that guy' at the concert! Cuz then all those people who go to concerts to see what other people are wearing are going to hate you and run home after the concert and tell everyone on the net how much of a geek you are. (Of course the 99% of the crowd that actually goes to see the band wont give a shit what t-shirt you're wearing, but MAN!!!)

Old 04-08-2002, 12:28 PM   #15
Mirror_Untrue

Arrow

It used to really bother me when people wore the shirt of a band they've never heard of just for the sake of wearing it, but it's not really that big of a deal to me anymore. It's when you start talking to someone about music where how much they know about the bands comes up. The fact that they are wearing a shirt with whatever band on it is pretty unimportant.

Old 04-08-2002, 01:37 PM   #16
sarmatianus

That fact that you care that someone else cares that you wear...

Fuck it, this is high school all over again.

You are what you are. Don't apologize for who you are.

sarmatianus

Old 04-08-2002, 01:50 PM   #17
Graveflower

Quote:
Originally posted by GhostChild:
Because wearing a bands shirt to a show is gay...cus it means you actually like them. Cus we all know we go to shows for bands we don't like.

-Jason
np: DMB - You Never Know 04.07.02

Ok, think about it. If you're at a band's show, that means you like them. You don't need to advertise that fact, because everyone already knows you do.

Old 04-08-2002, 01:54 PM   #18
GhostChild

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower:
Ok, think about it. If you're at a band's show, that means you like them. You don't need to advertise that fact, because everyone already knows you do.

Maybe there was a shirt compitition at the show and the best band shirt wins a cookie

Old 04-08-2002, 03:26 PM   #19
bloop

1)Maybe you puked on the original shirt you were wearing, so you bought a band shirt and wear it instead.

2) Maybe you don't have a lot of space to put things, so you wear the shirt. I find myself putting things on for this reason from time to time.

Old 04-08-2002, 03:59 PM   #20
The Admiral

Quote:
Originally posted by Glitter Burned:
Clash,
etc.)
Back up the truck, chico. Fugazi doesn't have merchandise. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

Old 04-08-2002, 04:16 PM   #21
nevermind

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by sarmatianus:
That fact that you care that someone else cares that you wear...

Fuck it, this is high school all over again.
exactly. nothing but a bunch of whiny imbecile dipshits here.

Old 04-08-2002, 05:04 PM   #22
sawdust restaurants

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
exactly. nothing but a bunch of whiny imbecile dipshits here.
Kids, when the troll is right about what you're posting, it's time to own up to your own stupidity.

Old 04-08-2002, 05:52 PM   #23
rubbersoul

I have always been curious as to how wearing a bands shirt became uncool. 'Cause none of us formed the opinion ourselves. It has to be a punk rock thing because every negative attitude in rock music came out of punk music. I don't give a shit anymore but a few years back I would make fun of people for doing it.

Old 04-08-2002, 06:06 PM   #24
Graveflower

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by The Admiral:
Back up the truck, chico. Fugazi doesn't have merchandise. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif
ahaha, plus he thought wearing a Saves the Day shirt would give you punk cred. It would more likely get you kicked in the head repeatedly.

Old 04-08-2002, 06:08 PM   #25
frail_and_bedazzled

i kinda think that band t-shirts are generally 'uncool'. stylistic choice, i guess...but

1) if you ascribe to a certain band/life politic/social scenaria/life 'style' etc...then you don't need to wear the fucking shirt. you ARE it.

2) band members don't wear band t-shirts. if they do, they're lame.

3)poor design, generally. there are exceptions, of course, but generally speaking..they suck. especially new shirts, which lack the snug, worn appeal of thrift shirts.

it's completely ironic when someone wears the t-shirt of a 'cool' band. by doing so, they actually isolate themselves from the inherit 'coolness' the band exudes or extols.

i should write a book on this. style is a highly intelligible, coded language...conscious or unconsciously.

Old 04-08-2002, 06:59 PM   #26
Best Looking Boy

I don't really care what you think, I just felt like starting a topic posing a question.

Old 04-08-2002, 07:01 PM   #27
Best Looking Boy

They are just clothes, most bands I like have shirts that are less than 10 bucks, I can buy that shirt and i'd like it more than a wal-mart t-shirt with no design on it.
Quote:

1) if you ascribe to a certain band/life politic/social scenaria/life 'style' etc...then you don't need to wear the fucking shirt. you ARE it.
Well what am I supposed to wear? It's just a damn shirt like everyone else I own, all the shirts ascribe to some sort of style, so what's the point of droning over band shirts?

Old 04-08-2002, 07:03 PM   #28
Best Looking Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled:
3)poor design, generally. there are exceptions, of course, but generally speaking..they suck. especially new shirts, which lack the snug, worn appeal of thrift shirts.
You're still putting yourself in a group when you were used clothes. I know you think you're original but you're just another little hipster when I see you on the street. If I saw you at a party you'd blend in with about 20 other girls.

Old 04-08-2002, 07:17 PM   #29
frail_and_bedazzled

Quote:
Originally posted by Best Looking Boy:
Quote:
You're still putting yourself in a group when you were used clothes. I know you think you're original but you're just another little hipster when I see you on the street. If I saw you at a party you'd blend in with about 20 other girls.
and you, my dear sir, would be very wrong. what you don't know about me pales in comparison to what you assume about me.
if you don't get it, you don't get it. my point has been made.

Old 04-08-2002, 07:31 PM   #30
Best Looking Boy

Quote:
if you don't get it, you don't get it. my point has been made.
Well... how is it you can make assumptions about people you don't know, but they could never sum you up?