Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Default Which solos on Mellon Collie are Ihas?

I know Zero and Love are his, and also that the end "solo" on Muzzle is him. Anything else?

Old 07-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Zero is the obvious one, but I was surprised to learn about Love. It's probably my favorite solo on MCIS.

"Iha's demonized "cyber solo" in "Love" began life, in Iha's typically self-deprecating words, as "a really bad blues solo." The song begins with a steady flanged eighth-note chunk figure over a mechanized beat. The sound of Iha's solo, tweaked through an Eventide H3000 harmonizer in the final mix, took hours to cement. "I had the general idea for it," recalls Iha, "and since we wanted something cyber-like, I tried a Roland guitar synthesizer."

Old 07-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

The ones with the swedish psychology degree

Old 07-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
The ones with the swedish psychology degree
How's unemployment Booo0o0ooooo0ooooooiiiiii

Old 07-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #5
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIsNoWhy4U View Post
How's unemployment Booo0o0ooooo0ooooooiiiiii
Lol i have no idea, do you?

Thanks for letting me know you're puzzlenozzle though, that puts things in perspective for sure

For anyone unfamiliar to the story: This dude first posted that he was a successful psychologist/ psychiatrist (he didn't seem to be sure which) and that people here were lost/'stuck inside themselves'. When people called bullshit he felt compelled to post his diploma - which someone found out was a photoshop of the first thing they found on Google. One of my favourite moments on Netphoria for sure. Anyone got the thread url?

Old 07-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
hahaha you're insane. I need to find your "I quit my horrible job and I feel horrible now, please pity me" post tho. I'll get back to you!

Old 07-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Talking

Quote:
hahaha you're insane. I need to find your "I quit my horrible job and I feel horrible now, please pity me" post tho. I'll get back to you!
I always enjoyed how you seemed to be sure that quitting your job automatically means being unemployed, i'm sure you learned to jump to conclusions asap when you got your psych-something degree, but i can keep playing along if you want?

Old 07-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
people are allowed to have feelings, you fake asshole

Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
You never do though

How's unemployment?

Old 07-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #10
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:

Thanks for letting me know you're puzzlenozzle though, that puts things in perspective for sure

For anyone unfamiliar to the story: This dude first posted that he was a successful psychologist/ psychiatrist (he didn't seem to be sure which) and that people here were lost/'stuck inside themselves'. When people called bullshit he felt compelled to post his diploma - which someone found out was a photoshop of the first thing they found on Google. One of my favourite moments on Netphoria for sure. Anyone got the thread url?
dude didn't even know a psychiatrist is a medical doctor.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #11
WakaFlocka
Banned

Not sure why they have Billy credited for the solo but it really is likely the worst solo in any SP song regardless of which one of them wrote it. Definitely sounds like James on the recording though.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features...t-guitar-solos

23 SMASHING PUMPKINS
“Zero”
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995)
GUITARIST: Billy Corgan

Old Chinese saying: “Give a man a fish and he’ll eat for a day. Give a man a Whammy pedal and he’ll annoy you for a lifetime.” Just because you call yourself a zero doesn’t mean you have to play like one.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
WakaFlocka
Banned

Last month or whenever they did the live stream with Guitar Center I was sort of reminded once again that James Iha just isn't one of those musicians who are passionate about their instrument, amps or effects hardly at all.

"uhhhh..I just play les paul customs" was basically the only thing he said about his input on stage right now (and this is while they're being interviewed for an audience who actually wants to hear about things like this) and he says practically nothing. He's been on the cover of 3 Guitar World magazines now with Billy, never seen anything interesting from James in them especially in relation to the type things Billy would offer up.

Not trying to rip on James or anything, I definitely see how he compliments Billy's playing in a unique way that we all can agree is satisfying to the ears, but he's also just not even close to as good of a guitar player Billy is either and I don't think he really ever wanted to be. In fact, it's my own personal opinion that James is only AS good a player as he currently is because he played with someone like Billy for so many years. They started out together in the bands infancy so I'm sure he had at least 1 or 500 or lessons on things.

Aside from Zero I really have no idea what other credits he has for solos.. Possibly some of the leads in Ruby? That one is layered up pretty good. I've often wondered if he wrote these badass leads from the heavy version of Disarm?

cued up-

https://youtu.be/Xl__KvCOcdI?t=2m20s

Old 07-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
Last month or whenever they did the live stream with Guitar Center I was sort of reminded once again that James Iha just isn't one of those musicians who are passionate about their instrument, amps or effects hardly at all.

"uhhhh..I just play les paul customs" was basically the only thing he said about his input on stage right now (and this is while they're being interviewed for an audience who actually wants to hear about things like this) and he says practically nothing. He's been on the cover of 3 Guitar World magazines now with Billy, never seen anything interesting from James in them especially in relation to the type things Billy would offer up.

Not trying to rip on James or anything, I definitely see how he compliments Billy's playing in a unique way that we all can agree is satisfying to the ears, but he's also just not even close to as good of a guitar player Billy is either and I don't think he really ever wanted to be. In fact, it's my own personal opinion that James is only AS good a player as he currently is because he played with someone like Billy for so many years. They started out together in the bands infancy so I'm sure he had at least 1 or 500 or lessons on things.

Aside from Zero I really have no idea what other credits he has for solos.. Possibly some of the leads in Ruby? That one is layered up pretty good. I've often wondered if he wrote these badass leads from the heavy version of Disarm?

cued up-

That is the best version of Disarm they ever did. James' solo, Jimmy's drumming, Billy's singing. It's awesome.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #14
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaguitar View Post
That is the best version of Disarm they ever did. James' solo, Jimmy's drumming, Billy's singing. It's awesome.
i like this one better. same version but with the added 94 intensity

Old 07-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #15
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
I honestly don't understand how people aren't passionate about their instrument and how it sounds if they're a player; especially if they're in a giant band and are rich enough to make any sound they want

But then again it wouldn't be James otherwise

Quote:
I've often wondered if he wrote these badass leads from the heavy version of Disarm?
I figure so, same with the pretty outro leads in the 94 version

Old 07-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #16
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

cued up-

It’s kind of understood among professional musicians that the more you think or y’all about gear the more you suck.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #17
WakaFlocka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
It’s kind of understood among professional musicians that the more you think or y’all about gear the more you suck.
I suppose that's why Nirvana fans argue Kurt being a guitar god.

What you say could be true to some degree but would you say that about Danny Carey or Mike Portnay? There are plenty of musicians who are tone freaks and don't suck at all. Billy truly doesn't get the credit for the guitar player he was/is.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 AM   #18
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I suppose that's why Nirvana fans argue Kurt being a guitar god.

What you say could be true to some degree but would you say that about Danny Carey or Mike Portnay? There are plenty of musicians who are tone freaks and don't suck at all. Billy truly doesn't get the credit for the guitar player he was/is.
Kurt was a brilliant guitar player. GE Smith commented on how great he was while Nirvana performed on SNL. GE Smith is one the greatest, most successful professional guitarists of the last 30 years or so. So he knows what he’s talking about.

I would honestly argue that Kurt is a MUCH better guitarist than Billy. The only criterion by which Billy surpasses is him is that he plays more notes. But judging by his “Solara” performance on Jimmy Fallon he can’t not even palm mute an E power chord in tune. That is sad and pathetic.

I don’t judge a musician by how many notes they play. I judge them on how good the notes they do play sound, and whether they have a unique and powerful voice. Kurt always sounded good and solid. And he had a much better touch and feel for the guitar. AND he had a much stronger voice in the instrument. So in my book he’s better.

It’s generally a thing among professional musicians in NYC, LA, or Nashville to be very skeptical of a guy who talks a lot about gear. If you’re a pro you’re just expected to have your sound together and not waste time talking about it. It’s way more productive to talk with other musicians about actual music. I’ve talked to world class musicians who don’t know how many watts their amp head is. It doesn’t matter. Music matters.

I don’t have any comments about the guys from Tool or Dream Theater. I’m sure they’re great. Good for them. Mark Giulianna is arguably the most respected jazz drummer in NYC right now and he literally doesn’t care what kit he plays on live. He plays whatever is there and makes it sound great. That mentality is the sign of a real pro, not the fussing and obsessing about gear. Just being confident that you can make it work.

I’m sure I have you fuming at me now. I am sorry for that. I hope you have a nice night.

Last edited by johncg : 07-09-2018 at 12:14 AM.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:17 AM   #19
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
Kurt was a brilliant guitar player. GE Smith commented on how great he was while Nirvana performed on SNL. GE Smith is one the greatest, most successful professional guitarists of the last 30 years or so. So he knows what he’s talking about.

I would honestly argue that Kurt is a MUCH better guitarist than Billy. The only criterion by which Billy surpasses is him is that he plays more notes. But judging by his “Solara” performance on Jimmy Fallon he can’t not even palm mute an E power chord in tune. That is sad and pathetic.

I don’t judge a musician by how many notes they play. I judge them on how good the notes they do play sound, and whether they have a unique and powerful voice. Kurt always sounded good and solid. And he had a much better touch and feel for the guitar. AND he had a much stronger voice in the instrument. So in my book he’s better.

It’s generally a thing among professional musicians in NYC, LA, or Nashville to be very skeptical of a guy who talks a lot about gear. If you’re a pro you’re just expected to have your sound together and not waste time talking about it. It’s way more productive to talk with other musicians about actual music. I’ve talked to world class musicians who don’t know how many watts their amp head is. It doesn’t matter. Music matters.

I don’t have any comments about the guys from Tool or Dream Theater. I’m sure they’re great. Good for them. Mark Giulianna is arguably the most respected jazz drummer in NYC right now and he literally doesn’t care what kit he plays on live. He plays whatever is there and makes it sound great. That mentality is the sign of a real pro, not the fussing and obsessing about gear. Just being confident that you can make it work.

I’m sure I have you fuming at me now. I am sorry for that. I hope you have a nice night.
Kurt Cobain passed

Old 07-09-2018, 07:37 PM   #20
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg

I'm going to address your "GE smith" logic-- Zach Wylde is also one of the most successful pro guitarists of the past 30 years, probably more so than GE, and he said Kurt can't play for shit. So has Joe Bonnamassa, etc etc.. point? everyone has their own opinions and their pro level doesn't change their opinions from one person to the next. Also, there are many folks that would argue the above mentioned guitarists suck. I for one think Bonnamassa is a hack. who fucking cares.

Palm muting a string out of tune? wtf? If the string is in or out of tune, it's in or out of tune. Where the palm is placed has no bearing on tuning, unless it's a shit guitar. Even so, that's a weak point of criteria on a guitarist's ability to play. J Mascis didn't even know what palm muting was until a couple of years ago.. how do I know? I know the guy.

Musicians of all walks of life talk about everything related to their craft, and yeah gear is a part of that. Anyone that is skeptical of a guy that talks about gear is probably some douche who knows nothing about what goes into their own craft. I myself don't like to talk about gear because I find it boring, BUT when asked a question that's not pointless and a waste of a conversation, I do know what I'm talking about.

Billy play's a lot of notes, and you equate that to him not knowing how good his sound is? IMO, every note he plays means something.. I think the solo's in Soma, Aeroplane, Starla, Here is No Why are good examples.. there's melodic build ups, and shred moments that articulate the emotion of the song he's writing. He's not just noodling around, and just because he can play fast doesn't mean he's just "noodling."

But this is fucking dumb. comparing the two guitarists is like apples and oranges, they come from completely different backgrounds and schools of thought.. saying one is better than the other is a useless exercise and honestly this argument sounds like it comes from one of these dudes that will come up to me after a show and try to impress me with what little they might know about theory, gear, etc.. and then try to support their theory on a casual relationship they have with a 'pro.' I doubt you're that kind of douche, but as far as this argument goes, stop it.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #21
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

get a load of this guy

Old 07-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #22
myosis
Minion of Satan

surely he plays one of the guitars in Here Is No Why?

Old 07-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #23
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Is it James playing on the end of Quiet? The part where Billy's singing "Behind the grace of falling snow..."

3:10 onwards, not cued up.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #24
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Cause it's funny as shit when someone is unemployed, everyone knows that!

Old 07-07-2018, 07:46 PM   #25
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=179654

Old 07-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #26
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Ah yes, thanks.

I'm 28 years old. I live with my girlfriend in Stockholm, Sweden. I have a masters degree in 'Modern Psychology', but I'm currently studying the Swedish law part-time. On average I make approximately 51000 € each year. I play in two bands, one is a fusion of pop and jazz, and the other one is a straight out alt rock project. I've listened to the Pumpkins since I was 13, and never stopped listening. I am very open minded about things, but cannot understand all the cynicism on these threads. Are people here really that locked up in themselves? Are they that lonely, that miserable?

Old 07-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #27
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Ah yes, thanks.

I'm 28 years old. I live with my girlfriend in Stockholm, Sweden. I have a masters degree in 'Modern Psychology', but I'm currently studying the Swedish law part-time. On average I make approximately 51000 € each year. I play in two bands, one is a fusion of pop and jazz, and the other one is a straight out alt rock project. I've listened to the Pumpkins since I was 13, and never stopped listening. I am very open minded about things, but cannot understand all the cynicism on these threads. Are people here really that locked up in themselves? Are they that lonely, that miserable?
Yes.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:14 PM   #28
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Ah yes, thanks.

when did you move to sweden? poor bram, you left him all alone in liechtenburg!

Old 07-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #29
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

this is the original one that he made a fake diploma out of. unfortunately that seems to be down

https://acadoc.files.wordpress.com/2...r-diplom14.jpg

Old 07-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #30
Ram27
dumb

i thought the whole Nirvana aesthetic was that he was sloppy, and that didn’t matter with regards to making great music