Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #151
paranoid
Minion of Satan

yeah i recognize the relationship with warner, and i honestly don't understand why he went through them initially and did this type of method when SP came back. would have brought the band better publicity initially, because this is working for him in that regards now.

and now he's figured out a way to cut out the middle man and he's calling it groundbreaking while other artists have been releasing/promoting/selling their music this way for a while now. my point is that there's really nothing truly unique about this except the concept of the gradual release of 44 songs. but he's not going to walk away from this project profitless, but some fans are making him out to be a hero for giving this away for 'free.' I say good for him, but this is nothing spectacularly unusual or groundbreaking. having fans DL music for free is a normal loss for an artist now, he's just putting that control in his hands.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #152
Joe
Apocalyptic Poster

The story of the album is based on 'The Fool's Journey', as signified in the progress of the Tarot. It is my intention to approach this by breaking down the journey of our life here into four phases as made by these different characters; the Child, the Fool, the Skeptic, and the Mystic.

am i the only one who finds this to be funny as shit?????????

i mean hooray for new pumpkins music, but someone needs to tell bill every album does not have to be a fucking concept album.

or concept 4 ep boxed sex

Old 09-18-2009, 01:06 AM   #153
pyrocus
Demi-God

Please stop it guys - I am actually in tears over here....

Old 09-18-2009, 02:36 AM   #154
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo jojo View Post
The story of the album is based on 'The Fool's Journey', as signified in the progress of the Tarot. It is my intention to approach this by breaking down the journey of our life here into four phases as made by these different characters; the Child, the Fool, the Skeptic, and the Mystic.
bill needs to start shooting up heroin so he has something worthwhile to write about. i need to get him in touch with weiland.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #155
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Blue Heaven View Post

I'm happy to finally announce the plans for the new Smashing Pumpkins album.

Recording began yesterday, September 15th, 2009 on the new record which will be entitled 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope'. The album will feature 44 songs, 4 of which are now being recorded. My desire is to release a song at a time beginning around Halloween of this year, with each new release coming shortly after until all 44 are out. Each song will be made available absolutely for free, to anyone anywhere. There will be no strings attached. Free will mean free, which means you won't have to sign up for anything, give an email address, or jump through a hoop. You will be able to go and take the song or songs as you wish, as many times as you wish.
what? this is not good enough.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:27 AM   #156
Starla

free = alot of clipping

and tarot cards are not of God

I see Billy is still trafficing with the devil

Old 09-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #157
The Jesus
Minion of Satan

I'm standing here with a big wad of money in each hand.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #158
Springbridge
Ownz

NEW DJ TIESTO ALBUM TITLED KALEIDOSCOPE

Kaleidoscope (Tiësto album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #159
slunken
Virgo

You just outed yourself

Old 09-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #160
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post

and now he's figured out a way to cut out the middle man and he's calling it groundbreaking while other artists have been releasing/promoting/selling their music this way for a while now. my point is that there's really nothing truly unique about this except the concept of the gradual release of 44 songs. but he's not going to walk away from this project profitless, but some fans are making him out to be a hero for giving this away for 'free.' I say good for him, but this is nothing spectacularly unusual or groundbreaking. having fans DL music for free is a normal loss for an artist now, he's just putting that control in his hands.
I think Billy is aware of this, Machina II was a free record. In case you hadn't heard.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #161
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo jojo View Post

am i the only one who finds this to be funny as shit?????????

i mean hooray for new pumpkins music, but someone needs to tell bill every album does not have to be a fucking concept album.

or concept 4 ep boxed sex
This is basically the same concept as MCIS, though, and that's good enough for me.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #162
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

Well its free, like Machina II, its concept like Machina, it is going back to its roots like Gish, its being done in phases like Mellon Collie.

Now just add the bit that makes it Siamese Dreamy.

Can't say he ain't trying to please everyone there.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #163
T&T
Socialphobic

MCIS was envisioned as 6 vinyl sides... +5 singles of b-sides... that's at least like 11 eps of 4 songs.

formula works for me.
I like songs, I like lots of songs even better.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #164
thomas_bland
Ownz

It's be nice to hear it like that though. The one song at a time is going to piss me off. If they're recording four songs at a time then they should make it so the ep is available before the free download goes live. You pay money, you follow the progression, you see it first. Is this going to be the subscription model?

It's certainly interesting.

Is the album going to be released in order? If The Trip is going to be the first release, it's a strange opener to a 44 song concept album. Maybe not lyrically though?

Old 09-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #165
slunken
Virgo

I really think they should hunker down in the studio and record all this before going on tour. Sure, they might get to test some songs out before they're recorded and all that, but I can't imagine staying focused on a project or remaining "in the zone" amidst touring. It also seems counter-productive to the whole "no more old songs" mentality.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #166
Joe
Apocalyptic Poster

i mean the great thing is it's 44 songs, so out of this at least 12 songs will be awesome.

i see this as being something great, that i will delete all the shitty songs from and burning a totes rocking 12 to 15 song album, and being really happy with that.

it seems though that corgan is just trying to trap himself in this pumpkins box, and just keep digging up graves of mellon collie to make the fans happy. but that makes sence sence all the 'fans' give him so much shit about trying anything new and exciting.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #167
thomas_bland
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
I really think they should hunker down in the studio and record all this before going on tour. Sure, they might get to test some songs out before they're recorded and all that, but I can't imagine staying focused on a project or remaining "in the zone" amidst touring. It also seems counter-productive to the whole "no more old songs" mentality.
I like the whole evolving thing. And i'm not sure what "in the zone" would be with Bill; trying to write singles?

Depends on the touring. If it's six dates in a particular region it shouldn't be too difficult.

It's not going to happen but they should play some small venues in the UK as Spirits in the Sky - Bill doesn't give a fuck about the UK though.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #168
slunken
Virgo

as long as they stay away from world-tours in giant arenas things will work out okay

Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #169
thomas_bland
Ownz

Yup.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #170
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
do you really think the leechers ever felt like criminals? recorded music is for free nowadays.. that's just how it is.

to call this record 'free' has me scratching my head. he gets to say its free but he knows well enough that a significantly large crowd were going to get it for free anyway, without jumping through hoops. yeah, he as the artist is giving it away for free, but he is also selling it.

he's basically doing what radiohead and nin have been doing for a couple years, amongst a bunch of other bands. the only thing different about this is the gradual release method, which is neat, but again at the end of the day it's all going to come down to the music and if that stands alone.

in rainbows was a new release method, which also worked as a great marketing tactic. they made a lot of money off of it, selling the box sets, the 'tip' style download model and then the official xl label release. and at the end of the day, the music was also worth all the hub bub. bill's gotta make sure he's able to carry the quality of the music over the whole release method at the end of the day.

and im not bitching about what's free and what's not free. but for some fans to say this is groundbreaking because he's giving an entire album away for free is really missing the fact that he's also going to sell it, and a lot of those same fans who think he's doing something groundbreaking will be paying a lot of money to get the whole shebang (11 eps, box set, digital singles w/ demos).
the part that's novel is the staggered release of a collection of songs, not that the songs are free.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #171
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag
the part that's novel is the staggered release of a collection of songs, not that the songs are free.
yes i already pointed that out.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #172
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
yes i already pointed that out.
who is saying it's groundbreaking because it's free

Old 09-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #173
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

I am, charmbag. I am.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #174
Raventhird
Pledge

As soon as the sale figures for the first two eps are in, he'll cancel it and call us ignorant idiots who aren't enlightened or something. C'mon!

I'd be happy if all the stuff is recorded at once, though. Would make it sound more like an actual album. I really don't care for FOL or GLOW-Singles x 44.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #175
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
MCIS was envisioned as 6 vinyl sides...
i seriously doubt they had a vinyl release in mind when they were making mellon collie and the infinite sadness: if i'm not mistaken, there wasn't going to be a vinyl release of the album at first. a couple of months later, they changed their mind.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #176
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

wikipedia agrees.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #177
Bleakest Harves
Demi-God

I'm hoping not a single one of these songs feature 'c'mon' in them anywhere. Please.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #178
slunken
Virgo

Is this out yet?

Old 09-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #179
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:32 AM   #180
Joe
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raventhird View Post
As soon as the sale figures for the first two eps are in, he'll cancel it and call us ignorant idiots who aren't enlightened or something. C'mon!
this sound completly plausable