Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default Will Smashing Pumpkins be able to sustain this resurgence?

Billy and the band have accomplished quite the impressive and improbable comeback. They've returned to venues of a size that they haven't be able to play in over 20 years. It can't be seen as anything but a massive success.

The question is, can Billy parlay this resurgence in a way that people support the new music, or will it be strictly a nostalgia act going forward? If it is going to be a nostalgia act, a lot of these acts don't have big success when returning to markets a second time (for example STP, Journey, Motley Crue ETC). So will they inevitably fizzle out once people tick it off their proverbial "concert bucket list"?

Is this just a last bang before the flame out or a new beginning?

Old 08-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

probably they will release new music to little fanfare, do more touring, and die out

Old 08-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

It’s really not a comeback. It’s just a random tour. A true comeback would be having a hit single and hit album neither of which are probable for the band ever again.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
fuzzyroes
Banned

ehhh... It was a band fizzling out and not even doing well in mid sized theaters and now they're selling out or playing very well attended shows at some of the most prestigious arenas in America.

It's definitely a resurgence, if not a comeback.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
slayed23
Ownz

It's a fair question.

I see people post pictures at concerts with captions that go something like "90s nostalgia" at all of these concerts. Now, there is nothing wrong with that per se. However, I doubt if I was to look at instagram for a Pearl Jam concert that there would be many of those captions.

There are probably dozens of bands that can get 10,000 people at a concert no problem without ever releasing a new song because it becomes pretty much a celebration concert that fans have no problem going to every year. One big example of this is Jimmy Buffet. I don't think the Pumpkins are that type of band.

I do think that positive fan experience at concerts will help the band going forward from a perception standpoint. But if they want to return to arenas on a consistent basis, they are going to need some newer songs with extended airplay. It doesn't have to be number 1 hits. Just songs that are good enough to be in rotation that can keep their name fresh.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Sure, if they are willing to continue cashing in on various forms of nostalgia. For instance, I'm sure they could co-headline festivals if they were playing Siamese Dream in its entirety, or they could put together some Roger Waters-like massive MCIS show. There are also other iterations of the current show they could put on, not to mention bring it to 20-30 cities not included on this tour.

I don't know if any of that is guaranteed to work, but there are real opportunities to sustain this kind of momentum. Nostalgia. Mostalgia?

Edit: and they could absolutely tour with a band like Pearl Jam. Lol.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:47 AM   #7
thedeadofnight
Ownz

This band is completely irrelevant besides the odd greatest hits tour

Old 08-09-2018, 05:20 AM   #8
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

There’s enough material in the archive for Billy to put out a big release ever year. The live variants from the various phases of the band ie. the metro/united centre shows, arising, djali zwan, glasshouse, another big MCIS show, Storytellers, the remaining reissues: machina, the canned projects, Zwan box set, chicago songs, remastered zeitgeist, live zeigeist cd, demo collections, new greatest hits. Master each with the quality of Inside the Dark Globe with decent artwork and they would review well with critics and keep the status of the band going, while he can drop his new music every couple of years.

I don’t get why he isn’t doing this.

Oh yeah, because they don’t sell enough to meet his dumb standards.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 08-09-2018 at 05:25 AM.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #9
epinson
Oblivious Virgin

I'm not sure if they could do another big arena run by themselves again (although the overall good reviews might not necessarily rule it out), but I don't think they necessarily need to have another hit single or album to keep the momentum. Counting Crows have not had a hit for well over 10 years, yet they simply pair up with another band of the time (Live, Matchbox Twenty), and are able to do arenas and amphitheaters. I think when Billy talks about "rebuilding the brand", he means bringing the Smashing Pumpkins up to that level where they may not be topping the charts (which very few rocks bands are doing, unless you count Imagine Dragons), but if they can consistently put on crowd-pleasing shows without drama, fans will keep coming.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
Whir34
Pledge

Can they continue with this resurgence? The answer in my mind is simple. Only if they put out good new music. And I think it would have to be something really special to be able to consider them having made a ‘comeback’

And when I mean special I mean up there with their 90’s stuff. And on a level much higher then Solara.

Otherwise this will pass but they will continue to have loyalty from their hardcore fanbase as always. I myself am a Pumpkins fan for life and will listen to anything he puts out forever and there are quite a few like me - but a comeback? That will need very high level new music.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

you guys should try checking out some other bands. like boris, for example.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
artvase
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
you guys should try checking out some other bands.
great advice

This is neither a resurgence nor a comeback except perhaps for Corgan's bank account.

Otherwise the band is no more relevant than they were in 2010. We have just one new song coinciding with this tour recorded with Rick Brick Dick Rubin, that song blows, and there's no sign on the horizon at all for a release of the rest of the alleged music. Where is it? It doesn't exist and has not been recorded.

But hey, they have some weirdos in hoods carrying out a Corganchrist statue during a cover of Stairway to Heaven and Mark McGrath and prerecorded vocals and redneck Curtney Loaf and that rap rock guy singing bodies. If that's not a comeback I dont know what is.

edit: encore should have McGrath singing Tonight, Tonight with Corgan slinking around on stage shooting cake out of a bazooka and instead of Solara let Courtney recite poetry from Blinking with Fists before the Dumbo song to close the set. That would be great. Much better than say, I dont know, Geek USA --> Jellybelly --> Aeroplane flies High

Last edited by artvase : 08-09-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

No.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #14
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

If history is any indicator: no. Billy will ruin it by saying and doing horrible stupid shit.

I do think, however, that SP will be remembered as having made one of the most significant contributions to 20th century western popular music of any person, group, or artist. As far as that goes, their legacy is safe and there is nothing that can be done to blemish it.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #15
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

They could tour with Bjork

Old 08-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #16
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I'm more interested in the amount of time 'til someone finally kicks Billy in the bollies or whatever such action necessary to get the guy to put out something good again

Old 08-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #17
hafsteinn
Pledge

Boris are shit.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #18
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

The fact that they have a completed album in the can that the record company won't release until after the tour speaks volumes.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #19
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
They could tour with Bjork
Respect Björk enough to put the umlaut in her name you fucking asshole!

Asshole!

Also I feel like an awful lot of bad things in Billy's life and attitude would improve if he let Björk be his guru for a year

"I'm no fucking Buddhist, but this is enlightenment," he might say

Old 08-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #20
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
If history is any indicator: no. Billy will ruin it by saying and doing horrible stupid shit.

I do think, however, that SP will be remembered as having made one of the most significant contributions to 20th century western popular music of any person, group, or artist. As far as that goes, their legacy is safe and there is nothing that can be done to blemish it.
Of any person, group, or artist? Nah. Beatles, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Sabbath etc. all trump SP easily. SP will be remembered for Siamese Dream, it's usually the only album of theirs that places on those critic top 100 albums list.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #21
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:

you mean in North America, right

Old 08-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #22
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
The fact that they have a completed album in the can that the record company won't release until after the tour speaks volumes.
Yeah, this is sort of how I feel - one song from the new album feels lame.

I understand having another tour to support it is probaly on the books - but when? Can you see them doing . a tour on this scale anytime soon?

Old 08-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #23
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafsteinn View Post
Boris are the shit.
Fixed.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #24
T&T
Socialphobic

they'll put out new music to no success
and I'm sure he'll keep putting out albums of oach/monuments/oligaga quality (so a few gems, but no one will care cause it's mediocre)
and in 10 years they'll do another reunion tour that might be more successful than this one cause he'll get the d'arcy thing figured out

Old 08-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #25
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
and in 10 years they'll do another reunion tour that might be more successful than this one cause he'll get the d'arcy thing figured out
Hologram D'Arcy. A total missed opportunity.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:37 PM   #26
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
dude what

Old 08-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #27
fuzzyroes
Banned

I think Siamese Dream will be a cemented classic.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:14 PM   #28
Shallowed
Braindead

It is.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #29
fuzzyroes
Banned

Will kids care 20-30 years from now is the question.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #30
Shallowed
Braindead

Is it?