Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2002, 06:47 PM   #1
Woody

Post Requiem For a Dream and The Smashing Pumpkins.

Can someone please explain to me why everyone here hates the film, and how it relates to SP. I am confused as the film is great and has no apparent SP links.

------------------
Sigs are gay.

Old 06-13-2002, 06:57 PM   #2
sarmatianus

I like it.

Old 06-13-2002, 07:05 PM   #3
Finsta

Bad movie. Bad band.

There's the connection!

Old 06-13-2002, 07:16 PM   #4
Patrick William

Is that the one with all the apples and the evil dog? I think the connection is between the apples and the pumpkins - the dog making up for the apples' obvious deficiency in size as compared to the pumpkins. This, however becomes somewhat of an overcompensation for the side of the apples/dog alliance, therefor creating a lasting animosity between the pumpkins and the apple/dog alliance. Or something along these lines - I could be mistaken.

Patrick

------------------
=====================
Bootlist: www.pwarcham.cjb.net
pwarcham at hotmail.com
AIM: Asterixx
=====================

Old 06-13-2002, 07:18 PM   #5
wounded

wtf are you talking about?

RFAD is a great movie.

maybe you are thinking of spun, which seems to be shaping up to be alot like requiem

Old 06-13-2002, 07:48 PM   #6
Finsta

Quote:
Originally posted by wounded:
wtf are you talking about?

RFAD is a great movie.

nope

Old 06-13-2002, 08:59 PM   #7
Suck Smile

A movie that is fucked up in a very good way. I like it.

Old 06-13-2002, 09:23 PM   #8
THRILLHO

it's cuz pumpkin fans are straight edge!

with every chemical you take a piece of your soul!

with no return!

Old 06-13-2002, 10:06 PM   #9
pale_princess

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by THRILLHO:

with no return!

*falls off chair*

Old 06-13-2002, 10:41 PM   #10
whiteSPider

Quote:

with no return!
*farts* true dat.

i just watched requiem a couple of days ago while i was at monets...high as a kite. not sXe thank you very much.

xoxo
r o b y n* 2002

------------------
›‹{`;´}›‹

IM:XoPumpkiNGurLoX

Old 06-13-2002, 10:53 PM   #11
Red Wine Cage

Quote:

with no return!
http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

Old 06-14-2002, 12:15 AM   #12
Mariner

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteSPider:
*farts*
*snicker*

Old 06-14-2002, 03:34 AM   #13
Crestfallen33

Exclamation

requiem for a dream grabs you and twists you three times! i don't think anyone'll do dope after that movie

Old 06-14-2002, 07:32 AM   #14
DoctaSoma

Quote:
Originally posted by Crestfallen33:
requiem for a dream grabs you and twists you three times! i don't think anyone'll do dope after that movie
I watched it a week ago. I wasn't sure whether I liked it or not at first but I've decided that I do. Its slick and weird, and it all goes so horribly wrong its great. All 3 people with me punched me for choosing it, so it didn't go down too well.

-Ben

Old 06-14-2002, 07:48 AM   #15
Woody

Quote:

with no return!
You can laugh all you want, but I don't touch drugs and rarely drink alcohol.

It has nothing to do with the Pumpkins, more to do with the fact I dont need that fucking zombifying crap. Drugs: pacification of the masses via cheap thrills which are ultimately physically and psychologically harmful.

------------------
Sigs are gay.

Old 06-14-2002, 11:40 AM   #16
Junebug

Yeah, I think you have Requiem and Spun mixed up. Spun is the one with Zwan's Wasting Time on the soundtrack, and looks like a rip-off though, unfortunately. We'll have to wait and see.

I was walking around in a petrified haze for at least three days after watching Requiem. Tylenol looked scary. I don't think I could handle it if I had to watch it again...and that was the edited version.

Old 06-14-2002, 01:56 PM   #17
Woody

Quote:
Originally posted by Junebug:
Yeah, I think you have Requiem and Spun mixed up. Spun is the one with Zwan's Wasting Time on the soundtrack, and looks like a rip-off though, unfortunately. We'll have to wait and see.

I was walking around in a petrified haze for at least three days after watching Requiem. Tylenol looked scary. I don't think I could handle it if I had to watch it again...and that was the edited version.
I dont have Spun and RFAD mixed up at all.
And I wasnt THAT disturbed by the film...perhaps I saw an edited version. The only uncomfortable bit was Harry's arm, which made me feel very ill.

------------------
Sigs are gay.

Old 06-14-2002, 02:51 PM   #18
vinyljunkie

surely the link must be the double ended dildo action!!

in a requiem dream we are connected???

Old 06-14-2002, 03:50 PM   #19
Johnny Zoloft

Quote:
Originally posted by vinyljunkie:
surely the link must be the double ended dildo action!!
http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

------------------
wasteland warrior on the loose!!

http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users...warrior-a2.gif

http://www.bangalorenet.com/system1/...mages/thug.jpg
keepin' it re-all.

http://www.thelost80s.com/toys/thund...gures_logo.jpg

Old 06-14-2002, 08:01 PM   #20
THRILLHO

Quote:
Originally posted by Woody:
Drugs: pacification of the masses via cheap thrills which are ultimately physically and psychologically harmful.

heh. i don't care if you do or don't do drugs, but have some perspective!

what you said is pound for pound as smart as saying "Not Doing Drugs: pacification of the masses via cheap thrills which are ultimately physically and psychologically harmful."

i've never heard of pumpkin fans hating RFAD, but maybe my reason has some truth to it. and if you don't do drugs all the more power to you, but enjoy a great movie for what it's worth.

Old 06-15-2002, 01:07 AM   #21
WhoAmI

Quote:
heh. i don't care if you do or don't do drugs, but have some perspective!

what you said is pound for pound as smart as saying "Not Doing Drugs: pacification of the masses via cheap thrills which are ultimately physically and psychologically harmful."

i've never heard of pumpkin fans hating RFAD, but maybe my reason has some truth to it. and if you don't do drugs all the more power to you, but enjoy a great movie for what it's worth.
I'd have to agree with Woody here. Drugs, like many other things, let way too many people think their lives are OK when they're not, as well as make people focus on something other than the real issues of life. I think his statement is right on--and anything that runs your life could potentially ruin it.

RFAD's a fantastic movie, BTW, and as a Pumpkins fan, I have no issue with it, but I'm curious to know where this "controversy" came from.

------------------
I wish I was blank.

[This message has been edited by WhoAmI (edited 06-15-2002).]

Old 06-15-2002, 01:25 AM   #22
Guen

Quote:
Originally posted by vinyljunkie:
[b]surely the link must be the double ended dildo action!!
B]
[utterly distracted at thought of double ended dildo...]

Old 06-15-2002, 02:44 PM   #23
Prathis

Quote:
Originally posted by Junebug:
I don't think I could handle it if I had to watch it again...and that was the edited version.
Fuck the edited version! I accidentally bought it from Walmart, because I'm a gimp and I forgot they edit everything.

And even if you're a unusually pious little teenager who swears you've never done any drugs - this should re-enforce why you don't, it's a one of the ultimate this-is-your-brain-on-____ movie. Show it in schools. No one will go near as much as a daily vitamen. Shit, I was scared of my refrigerator for days.

------------------
Greetings from sunny Yugoslavia!

Old 06-15-2002, 06:27 PM   #24
Pinnacle

Quote:
Originally posted by Prathis:
Fuck the edited version! I accidentally bought it from Walmart, because I'm a gimp and I forgot they edit everything.

And even if you're a unusually pious little teenager who swears you've never done any drugs - this should re-enforce why you don't, it's a one of the ultimate this-is-your-brain-on-____ movie. Show it in schools. No one will go near as much as a daily vitamen. Shit, I was scared of my refrigerator for days.

What do they show in the unedited movie thats not in the regular one?

Old 06-15-2002, 06:30 PM   #25
Graveflower

Thumbs down

Requiem for a Dream is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. It is completely worthless except for some good acting. Darren aronofsky or whatever is a terrible director.

Old 06-15-2002, 08:40 PM   #26
Prathis

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinnacle:
What do they show in the unedited movie thats not in the regular one?
well, the lesbian pipe scene is a bit scant, and some of the shooting up shots are gone ... it's actually not too noticeably different, what actually bothers me the most is that it says EDITED VERSION across the front and it's embarrassing.

------------------
Greetings from sunny Yugoslavia!

Old 06-16-2002, 06:48 AM   #27
Woody

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower:
Requiem for a Dream is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. It is completely worthless except for some good acting. Darren aronofsky or whatever is a terrible director.
Congratulations! You really are a 'gay art student/poet'!

Old 06-16-2002, 04:40 PM   #28
Graveflower

Quote:
Originally posted by Woody:
Congratulations! You really are a 'gay art student/poet'!
Because I don't like a movie that is pointlessly artsy, at the sake of character development and plot?

Old 06-16-2002, 07:37 PM   #29
Woody

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower:
Because I don't like a movie that is pointlessly artsy, at the sake of character development and plot?
Pointlessly artsy? You mean like poetry? And art in general? And Billy Corgan's music?

The lack of character development was another symptom of their addiction. They were unable to develop. There was a well-developed plot there, it just wasnt presented in the spoonfed style of classic hollywood cinema. And that pointless art was just as important to the general piece as plotting and character. I concede that whilst I consider the film to be great, the subject matter didnt really make the most riveting and enjoyable viewing. But then I respect Tokyo Story as one of the greatest and poignant films ever made, yet it is downright unbearably dull.

For a so-called artist you seem rather narrow-minded in accepting and interpreting art.

I could argue further, but I am tired.

[This message has been edited by Woody (edited 06-16-2002).]

Old 06-16-2002, 10:28 PM   #30
pale_princess

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Crestfallen33:
i don't think anyone'll do dope after that movie
Quote:
Originally posted by GrungeGuy:
are you a retard?