Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #421
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

nothing redeemable about this song what so ever.

This may actually hurt ticket sales.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:35 AM   #422
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad View Post
That is a truly wretched run of lead singles. Funny how much they would stick out like a sore thumb on a playlist, would not play these at a party.

I’d actually take Run2Me over Solara any day of the week. Both are abysmal.
Can you imagine a Smashing Pumpkins Greatest Hits/Singles re-release in 2018... how embarrassing.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #423
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post

...yep >>>

Quote:
"Solala" wäre der weitaus stimmigere Titel für den mauen Comeback-Song gewesen.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #424
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

[quote=pavementtune;4441258]hey amoergosum & corgan's bluff, can I get the over-under how this will increase the interest from Euro promoters?

should be working just fine, this is quite amusing.

https://www.laut.de/News/Smashing-Pu...-06-2018-14800

Lol so cynical.billy should stop to bedrabble his past by releasing horrible dongs like this. Laut.de is making fun of the shitty song

Old 06-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #425
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Does anybody else find it insanely fucking funny that now that James is back in the band one guitar track is way way louder than the other one?

Old 06-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #426
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

IF YOURE NOT A REAL FAN THEN WHY ARE YOU EVEN HERE???

Old 06-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #427
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Sp are dead. How can you choose such bullshit as a 1st single??
"The Smashing Pumpkins Are Dead" - This guy, fucking May 2018

Old 06-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #428
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
Mate this place did more to turn me on Billy than maybe even Billy himself. I registered christmas day 04 and by the time TFE dropped I was dunking on Corgan.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #429
SPLATTER
Demi-God

sounds worse with repeated listens

the drum production is atrocious

Old 06-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #430
Gollum
Pledge

Default ...

I am actually shocked that they decided to make Zeitgiest 2.

Of all the eras they could have stolen from, they chose their failed 2007 comeback album? WTF. Jimmy hated Zeitgeist. The fans hated Zeitgeist. I thought even Billy hated Zeitgeist now.

Maybe the most depressing thing is: think about how much the Pumpkins evolved musically between 1988 and 1998. Now it’s been 11 years since Zeitgeist and they literally sound exactly the same. So sad.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #431
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

doesn't this band have three guitarists now? where are all the interesting guitar layers (which the Pumpkins are known for)?

Old 06-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #432
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Both Billy and Jimmy haven't tweeted about Solara yet.

Billy's latest tweet:

Jimmy's latest tweet:

Old 06-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #433
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

HOWARD WAS RIGHT

Old 06-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #434
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Just listened to it twice on Spotify. I'm disappointed, but not surprised. It sounds exactly like what it is: a tossed aside song from those 2014/2015 sessions. As others have stated, the obvious comparison points would be "Starz" and "FOL," but even those songs had more interesting riffs. This sounds like the same ilk of "Anti-Hero" with its cheesy palm muting. Hell, I even like "Anti-Hero," but cannot get behind this.

I typically avoid trying to talk production since I am not a producer, but even a lay person like me can see how the production diminishes this song. Not to say it would have been a great song, but done right, it could have at least been an enjoyable - if not completely forgettable - song, but Rubin's production truly strips it of any life. Zeitgiest had some obvious flaws production wise - namely the vocals being too loud and the instruments to dry - but you could still at least get a sense of depth and interplay between the instruments.

Here, the guitar sounds so brittle and all-encompassing in the mix that overpowers anything that may be going on in the background. This might mark the first time in the band's history that production actually detracts from Jimmy's drumming. Taken alone, the drum track actually sounds really impressive, but combined with the guitar it just sounds fatiguing. People praise Rubin, but I really do not think he can still make a good rock record.

More than anything, I am most disappointed by the fact that it has no Smashing Pumpkins "vibe." I would have been willing to accept a good but not great song if it at least seemed to rekindle some of the magic of old Smashing Pumpkins. The song "To Who Knows Where" from James' last record would be a perfect example. It definitely isn't a great song, but seems enjoyable enough and gout some love because it sounded more like Smashing Pumpkins than anything Corgan had done from 2007 on. Hell, songs on Teargarden, Oceania, and Monuments sound more Pumpkins than this song. Even songs like "Doomsday Clock" or "Come On (Let's Go)" sound like high art compared to this.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #435
jparker800
Pledge

I'm listening to Solara now. I'm really liking it. So relieved there is no mention of "lover" or love being strange.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the EP!

Old 06-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #436
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
The song "To Who Knows Where" from James' last record would be a perfect example. It definitely isn't a great song, but seems enjoyable enough and gout some love because it sounded more like Smashing Pumpkins than anything Corgan had done from 2007 on.

...so much better than Solara!

Old 06-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #437
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
More than anything, I am most disappointed by the fact that it has no Smashing Pumpkins "vibe." I would have been willing to accept a good but not great song if it at least seemed to rekindle some of the magic of old Smashing Pumpkins. The song "To Who Knows Where" from James' last record would be a perfect example. It definitely isn't a great song, but seems enjoyable enough and gout some love because it sounded more like Smashing Pumpkins than anything Corgan had done from 2007 on.
***. "To Who Knows Where" is a good song with pumpkins vibes. Billy hasn't produced one note of music with a hint of longing since 2007, maybe earlier. It's sad.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #438
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Main disappointment is the drums. We all know Billy can't sing for shit or write good stuff anymore but I was hoping for some good drums. They're lame. Jimmy used to be musical and appropriate on SP stuff, this sounds like an impression of M BYRNE,

T LEE was a lot better than this on MTAE. Compare this to Anti Hero, T LEE kills it

Old 06-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #439
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS IT

WE NEED TO GET ALL THESE WHINERS OFF THE BOARD

ROCK WAS ALMOST DEAD AND THEN SOLARA SAVED IT

Old 06-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #440
swagmunch
Amish Rake Fighter

You know that Billy doesn't manage that Twitter account. Billy only personally uses Instagram.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #441
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
That doesnt justify that the song is boring piece of shit.
9 out of 10 people do not like it.
Some of you guys alwys talking about the production. Wtf. A bad song is a bad song. Listen to any fuckn adore demo- its 1000 times better than this shit. Billy became an embarrassing person who cant write or record a good song
I would say 9 out of 10 people on here do not like it. Including me.

On the official youtube page, easily 50% of the comments like the song.

We have to be honest with both ourselves and other people that might be reading this site. Using hyperbole doesn't do anyone any good at all.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #442
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
Main disappointment is the drums. We all know Billy can't sing for shit or write good stuff anymore but I was hoping for some good drums. They're lame. Jimmy used to be musical and appropriate on SP stuff, this sounds like an impression of M BYRNE,

T LEE was a lot better than this on MTAE. Compare this to Anti Hero, T LEE kills it
This. Say what you will about Howard, but Monuments to an Elegy sounded more "Pumpkins" than this new song. The fact that it sounded as good as it did is a testament to Howard Willing given the material he had to work with.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #443
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post

On the official youtube page, easily 50% of the comments like the song.
Those people either don't know any better, are literally retarded or are joking around..

Quote:
Yayyyyy!!!! 🤘🤘🤘❤️❤️❤️. Billys voice is incredible . Jimmy beating those drums. James strumming along. It's a great time to be alive. Thanks guys!!!!

Old 06-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #444
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I just listened to it again, and it's really not that bad. In fact, it's head and shoulders above anything on MTAE, and most of Zeitgeist. Certainly beats nearly all of TBK, and while Oceania is it's own thing it's certainly on a par with things like Quasar or Glissandra.

We need to hear the other songs to put this into context - if there is a dreamy, Hummer-like slow song, or an acoustic / orchestral one, then we'll know what they were trying to do with Solara (probably, the straight forward rock one).

Like, if all you had to base MCIS on was "Zero", then you'd probably be limiting your expectations somewhat.

So the production is rubbish. The vocals are way better than MTAE or Ogilala suggested. There's no solo, sure, but would that really have made any difference?

(I don't want to be known as "the only guy who likes Solara", I'm just coming at it from that perspective).

Old 06-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #445
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
This. Say what you will about Howard, but Monuments to an Elegy sounded more "Pumpkins" than this new song. The fact that it sounded as good as it did is a testament to Howard Willing given the material he had to work with.
It's crazy. At the time I thought Howard Willing was holding Billy back turns out he was holding Billy back from doing anything too stupid

Old 06-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #446
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

https://andyderer.files.wordpress.co...?w=1400&h=9999

Old 06-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #447
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b View Post
nothing redeemable about this song what so ever.

This may actually hurt ticket sales.
Well he could just keep the one part and do a kick ass Joan Jett cover.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #448
emilem
Demi-God

if billy wasnt such a moron he would do what van halen did back in 2012 when they reunited with david lee roth. there was even a similar bassist related drama. anyway - they just rerecorded outtakes from early days. casual fans had no idea, die hard fans were kinda pissy but also happy they spared them the emberassment of trying to recapture their youth in ther 60s. but no. solara. a monuments outtake noone wanted. great.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #449
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

I still believe that D'arcy would have been the key to make this work.

She was hungry to be part of the band again, wrote songs, would have probably stopped Billy to record tracks like Solara ("...no one had better musical discernment in our band than she").

They should have started with a small tour a la Arising...then proceed from there.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #450
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

i've listened three times. i feel exactly how i felt about zeitgeist. i want to like it, but the sound is off. it's not thick like early pumpkins. it feels one dimensional.

seems like billy is balancing a tongue n cheek happy vibe (shiny and oh so bright, solara, gay artwork), with essentially meaningless lyrics, and his perpetual, unaddressed, mid-life crisis. nothing is resonating, as is what happened with zeitgeist.

so while others will like this, others will despise, i'm left feeling close to nothing at all. the song does not connect at an emotional level.