Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2002, 02:28 AM   #1
peabody
Minion of Satan

Default jump little children were so good tonight.

they played 4 or 5 new songs! they were great!

they were, as always, funny and awesome. i bought the DVD! i'm excited to watch it tomorrow. the whole show was so much fun. matt is the funniest person alive. they played Body Parts!!!! the set went something like....vertigo, too high, say goodnight, some new songs, some other songs, body parts, habit, some other songs, my guitar, new songs, cathedrals.

At the end, Jay turned off the PA system, busted out his acoustic guitar, stood on a stool right on the barricade and sang Cathedrals. dude. everyone was crying and softly singing along. it was so sad and beautiful.

i'll post pictures and video tomorrow! i know you all care.

Old 10-20-2002, 03:04 AM   #2
Lunadisarm
Oblivious Virgin

Wow, that sounds like a really amazing show. JLC are soooo good live. I can't wait for a chance to actaully go out and see them.

Old 10-20-2002, 03:17 AM   #3
Red Wine Cage

Default <3

Quote:
Originally posted by peabody

At the end, Jay turned off the PA system, busted out his acoustic guitar, stood on a stool right on the barricade and sang Cathedrals. dude. everyone was crying and softly singing along. it was so sad and beautiful.

Old 10-21-2002, 09:06 PM   #4
sawdust restaurants
Fucking Creep

Body Parts is a bad song with terrible lyrics that is even worse live.

Still, when they are not playing second fiddle (haha get it? fiddle?) to Limp Bizkit, they aren't half bad live.

Old 10-21-2002, 09:09 PM   #5
peabody
Minion of Satan

Angry

body parts fucking rules. go die.

Old 10-21-2002, 09:22 PM   #6
fallontears
Pledge

Arrow

Quote:
body parts fucking rules. go die.
The Magazine version of the song absolutely blows. Now the live versions and demo versions that were floating around in 1995-97 on college rock radio in SC and GA was just damn good. I've never seen them play live (my brother has) but I am almost certain that they do play the "normal" version in concert. The slowed down crap that they call a song they put on Magazine is shite.

So by the way, how was the DVD? I really want to get it, but I want to know about the quality. I never even bought Vertigo, but will remedy that as soon as I am paid...

Old 10-21-2002, 09:25 PM   #7
peabody
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by fallontears

The Magazine version of the song absolutely blows. Now the live versions and demo versions that were floating around in 1995-97 on college rock radio in SC and GA was just damn good. I've never seen them play live (my brother has) but I am almost certain that they do play the "normal" version in concert. The slowed down crap that they call a song they put on Magazine is shite.

So by the way, how was the DVD? I really want to get it, but I want to know about the quality. I never even bought Vertigo, but will remedy that as soon as I am paid...
the dvd is great. the performance is a pretty standard performance, with a few neet things. the skits and stuff are fucking hilarious. the 25 minutes of skits and stuff makes the DVD totally worth it.

and the live version of body parts fucking rules too. i'll kill you if you disagree!

Old 10-21-2002, 09:26 PM   #8
peabody
Minion of Satan

Talking

and the whole DVD premise is awesome.

it's like a contest to prove the best member of the band. so funny.

evan free-styles raps and it's SO funny. i cried laughing the first time i watched it.

Old 10-21-2002, 09:33 PM   #9
sawdust restaurants
Fucking Creep

Talking

Quote:
and the live version of body parts fucking rules too. i'll kill you if you disagree!
YUO=SNIPER!?!?!?!

Actually, I don't think Matt's (he's the guy who sings Body Parts, right? I can never remember) ever written/performed a good song. They are pretty bad. Frankly, I wouldn't be sad if they kicked him out of the band. Or whoever that guy is.

Old 10-21-2002, 09:38 PM   #10
peabody
Minion of Satan

OH NO YOU DIHENT.

dude. you don't insult matt bivins. i'm going to kill you. i know where you live. in fact, as i drove by chapel hill on sunday i was thinking, "i wonder how easy it would be to find chris....hmm.."

(all of his songs are meant to be ovetly weird and sexual....not well written and thought-provoking. they're supposed to make you grab your crotch, not scratch your chin)

Old 10-21-2002, 10:07 PM   #11
sawdust restaurants
Fucking Creep

Quote:
(all of his songs are meant to be ovetly weird and sexual....not well written and thought-provoking. they're supposed to make you grab your crotch, not scratch your chin)
Oh, no, that's cool, and I don't have a problem with that. It just doesn't do it for me.

Old 10-21-2002, 10:46 PM   #12
fallontears
Pledge

Quote:

the dvd is great. the performance is a pretty standard performance, with a few neet things. the skits and stuff are fucking hilarious. the 25 minutes of skits and stuff makes the DVD totally worth it.

I agree, but you must submit that the album version is so bad that even words cannot begin to describe how irritating it is. After hearing the proper version of the song, how can one even listen to the album version again with out losing some respect for it? I remember buying Magazine the week it came out. I was so excited that they had finally put Body Parts on an album and then I listened to it...dear god...I freaked. Now I have been a fan of the band for a long time, but they fucked that song up big time. I think they kinda tried to jazz it up for their big major label debut which, if you haven't gathered already, I thought it was a mistake...but they never asked me.

Old 10-21-2002, 11:06 PM   #13
peabody
Minion of Satan

i'm gonna post 4 pictures from the show that i thought were relevant.

it's matt!

Old 10-21-2002, 11:06 PM   #14
peabody
Minion of Satan

it's johnathan!

Old 10-21-2002, 11:08 PM   #15
peabody
Minion of Satan

it's jay and evan and a bit of matt!

Old 10-21-2002, 11:09 PM   #16
peabody
Minion of Satan

Unhappy

it's jay singing cathedrals.

Old 10-22-2002, 04:19 AM   #17
tweedyburd
Ownz

Thumbs down

When Vertigo came out, I was convinced it was one of the best straight pop records I'd ever heard. It's still very good, even now.

But the problem that has hindered the band from any further success outside of their cult-like status is undoubtedly Matt's presence. He's never really been anything more than a gimmick.

And though I have to admit I enjoyed the 'anything goes' approach the band had when I first became a fan, I now find that it's just irritating--a band that lacks focus as a unit. Matt's whole schtick is completely distracting from what should be the main focus of the band--namely, Jay's songs, because that's clearly where the talent lies. And while Matt has taken a back seat lately, his role in the band continues to be nearly irrelevant to what Jay envisions. It's little wonder he started a side project (Rosebud, which is probably better than JLC) free of having to deal with Matt all the time. I guess they're just too close to split up.

While Matt's songs never really got past the maturity of a feminine Limp Bizkit approach, Jay was reaching new heights and could've really taken the band to the next level. It's no wonder big time execs are turned off when they see them live and have to suffer through Matt's songs. It's just one big conflicting picture, and it's been a tired gimmick for about 3 years now.

With Vertigo, they weeded Matt down to just one song. I'm hoping the next release will prove to be completely clean of his shit.

Last edited by tweedyburd : 10-22-2002 at 03:03 PM.

Old 10-22-2002, 09:43 PM   #18
fallontears
Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by tweedyburd
Rosebud
So what do they sound like? Are they any good or what? I know they have a cd out now....

Old 10-23-2002, 03:14 AM   #19
tweedyburd
Ownz

Rosebud actually has two CDs out--the new one came out back in March or April I think--it's called Vespers--and is every bit as good as Vertigo, if not better. Their first CD was OK, but it's based around a different songwriting aesthetic that Jay was into at the time. More laid back, very loungey. Most people said it put them to sleep.

But Vespers takes the writing style of Vertigo and downsizes it a bit, making it less glossy and more direct. There are some songs on there that if people who are into Jeff Buckley heard them, they'd be completely overwhelmed. It's really one of the best kept secrets of pop, as you can't get the record in stores due to it being on such a tiny label.

They have a website: http://www.rosebudtheband.com/

Try 'Changing of the Guard' for sample.

Last edited by tweedyburd : 10-23-2002 at 03:22 AM.

Old 10-24-2002, 09:01 PM   #20
neophyte
Amish Rake Fighter

JLC is playing here (in Boone, NC) tonight and if anyone here sees that show, please post about it.

I would go if I had some spare cash.

Actually, I would go regardless of my cash situation is I didn't think Vertigo sucked so bad.

~neophyte~

Old 10-24-2002, 09:03 PM   #21
tweedyburd
Ownz

Question

Why did you think Vertigo sucked? It's clearly their most accompolished album, by far.

Old 10-24-2002, 09:08 PM   #22
neophyte
Amish Rake Fighter

and it's also over-produced and wimpy, compared to Magazine

Old 10-24-2002, 09:17 PM   #23
fallontears
Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by neophyte
JLC is playing here (in Boone, NC) tonight and if anyone here sees that show, please post about it.

I would go if I had some spare cash.

Actually, I would go regardless of my cash situation is I didn't think Vertigo sucked so bad.

~neophyte~
My girlfriend lives in Boone. I was wanting her to go to the show so she could me up the DVD, but she wouldn't...

I would love to see them, but they discriminate against Kentucky...

Old 10-25-2002, 03:13 AM   #24
tweedyburd
Ownz

Arrow

Wimpy? Well, if you prefer very standard, straight forward pop writing over more complex, ornate arangements. No one ever said Jump was a macho, 'unwimpy' band in the first place. Magazine as a whole is pretty weak compared to Vertigo, especially when it comes to Jay's voice.

It's only overproduced if you put it in the context of Magazine. There are far more produced albums out there that are considered great right now, like the Flaming Lips. I think the songs deserve the level of production they received because of the range and sonic complexity that is there.

As a whole, Magazine pales in comparison. The only songs that really compare are Cathedrals and Say Goodnite. The rest are pretty much standard pop fodder.

Old 10-25-2002, 04:40 PM   #25
neophyte
Amish Rake Fighter

I see what you're saying, but unfortunately, I prefer the rocking Jump, Little Children to the balladeering Jump, Little Children.

~neophyte~

Old 10-25-2002, 09:15 PM   #26
tweedyburd
Ownz

Fair enough. But Come Around, Hold Your Tongue, Angel Dust, and others are just as rocking as anything on Magazine--they're just darker and heavier in content. I like that they didn't pigeon-hole themselves to just doing happy, upbeat numbers all the time.

Old 10-27-2002, 01:54 PM   #27
sawdust restaurants
Fucking Creep

Talking

Wimpy? Must I remind you that they started out playing Irish music?

Old 10-27-2002, 03:25 PM   #28
fallontears
Pledge

You have a point. Plus, 90% of the people I know who listen to them are girls...