Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #1021
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
The entire movie was made for toys. Racist teddy bears take down the Empire. It nearly ruins the entire original trilogy it's so bad. Horrific Lucas-esque dialogue, "slave Leia", and the plot is recycled from the first. Jedi is only better than the first two prequels.
http://2static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Do...cc_5665769.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
Only fucking assholes call Star Wars "A New Hope". It's fucking Star Wars.
you must be a lot older than me to remember when the title was actually Star Wars

Old 01-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #1022
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I think the objective ranking of these films is something close to: Empire > New Hope > Jedi > Force > Sith > Clones > Phantom

the only wiggle room is that I haven't seen II and III in so long I don't know which one is worse.
That's the general consensus, anything dramatically departing from this is incorrect. I'd actually put TFA on par with ANH and Jedi. They're more or less equivalent and each has at least a few flaws. Regardless Empire is unequivocally the best and TPM and CLones belong in the dungeon. Sith might make a run at the mid-tier movies if not for the 5-6 absolutely abhorrent lines and shit performances. Opening sequence of Sith is probably the best action of any SW film

Old 01-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #1023
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
http://2static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Do...cc_5665769.jpg

you must be a lot older than me to remember when the title was actually Star Wars
Typical. Can't argue a point, resort to bullshit arguments. Fucking imbecile.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #1024
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
Opening sequence of Sith is probably the best action of any SW film
again I'll have to rewatch, but I remember it looking like a lame video game cutscene from the 90s. and then the fight with Dooku, they didn't bother to film an actual fight at all, every shot is just their faces with the blur of lightsabers spinning in front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
until the shitty prequels everyone called the first movie "Star Wars." Nobody ever said "A New Hope" until Lucas shit out those CGI nightmares in 1999.
It was changed the first time the movie was re-released in 1981. The special editions came out in 1997. Regardless, the title had been ANH for over a decade when I first saw the movie as a kid in ~93/94. Usually when speaking I think I refer to it like, "The original – you know, #4." But ANH is the only title the movie ever had within my lifetime.

Last edited by redbreegull : 01-08-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #1025
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Typical. Can't argue a point, resort to bullshit arguments. Fucking imbecile.
http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/ao99GMA_460sa.gif

Old 01-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #1026
yo soy el mejor

jesus, grow up. it's just a movie like the little mermaid and the baby-sitters club. and it isn't even very cool. too many dudes acting like little boys n shit.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #1027
redbreegull

wait yo soy el mejor commenting on a conversation she isn't interested in solely to be snarky no fucking way man I don't believe it

http://cs6.pikabu.ru/images/big_size...6090335714.gif

Last edited by redbreegull : 01-08-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #1028
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

del

Old 01-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #1029
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...5e&oe=5746B0AE

Old 01-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #1030
redbreegull

https://everythingisdianetics.files....-wan-jesus.jpg

Old 01-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #1031
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Help me Jee-bus, you're my only hope

Old 01-16-2016, 12:52 AM   #1032
bright_doom
Ownz

Quote:
I'm watching Phantom Menace right now... wow, you know it's been about ten years or longer since I've seen this movie all the way through. The CGI fucking sucks. Like really sucks. Sebulba looks like a cartoon, like some Mary Poppins shit. On Coruscant, the characters look like they are walking through an early Pixar movie. The dialogue and acting is so stiff and awkward it's painful. Honestly I thought I was gonna watch this and appreciate the nostalgia and the Star Wars universe despite the low quality of the film itself, but jesus it's horrible. I'm thirty minutes from the end and I feel like I can't do it.
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but are there any Red Letter Media/ Mr Plinkett fans here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Old 01-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #1033
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Oh yes, his commentary is spot-on.

The effects look even worse on a 55" TV on blu-ray. Just terrible. They get worse form Episode 1 to 3 as Lucas stopped building sets and costumes altogether. He's incredibly proud of the fact that he never built a single clone trooper costume, and it shows

Have you seen the "no-cheese" edit? All of the Nemoidians lines are dubbed and subtitled, Jar Jar is almost entirely removed and also given the same treatment when necessary. No poop or fart jokes. He actually becomes stoic and somewhat likable. When Anakin says "they blow you up, BOOM", Jar-Jar's response is a deadpan "That's disgusting." The characterization is MUCH stronger (the Nemoidians are now sinister insted of shitty Asian stereotypes) and many of Plinkett's criticism of stupid plot points is addressed. The BEST change from an editing standpoint is in the final sequence: Captain Panaka and the decoy queen are completely removed such that we now focus almost entirely on the space battle and the Darth Maul fight. The Gungans have less screen time and Jar-JAr's antics are removed. When Maul kills Qui-Gon, instead of cutting around across the four settings, we stay with Obi-Wan and the tension is MUCH higher. Also the podrace announcer is removed:

Last edited by killtrocity : 01-16-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:30 AM   #1034
bright_doom
Ownz

That sounds great! Will definitely watch it sometime.
And yes, I also remember George bragging about RotS being an entirely digital movie minus the actors and the final scene on Tatooine, which by the way was shot during AotC filming.

I wonder if someone will do a Mr Plinkett-esque review on SP2 someday.
(Z - Episode 1, Teargarden + Oceania - Episode 2 and MTAE + (eventually) DFN - Episode 3)

Old 01-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #1035
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I'm gonna leave this here...

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/01/25215/

SPOILERS FOR ROGUE ONE! Although there's no fucking way you'll be able to avoid this for the next 300 days!

Quote:
We have it on good authority that the Darth Vader costume as seen in Star Wars: A New Hope has been meticulously recreated to match A New Hope perfectly. By all accounts the costume is so close to the original everyone is very happy and very impressed with the work done by Brian Muir and his team.

The coolest part is we’ve learned that James Earl Jones, the voice, the heart and soul of Darth Vader will return to speak Darth Vader’s lines in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. The Darth Vader we all know from the original Star Wars film is effectively back in look, voice, and spirit. There is still no word on if he has already recorded his lines or will in the post-production phase.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #1036
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Some people are going to hate on this. But this could be a nice way to get a dose of old school Dark Side without really messing with the original trilogy. This is essentially a prequel to Ep IV.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #1037
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

A group of fans has digitally restored an original print of A New Hope

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/st...n-of-Star-Wars

Old 02-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #1038
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

can you give us the tl;dr

Is this an HD version with the effects updates but not CGI bullshit? (i.e. removed matte lines and whatnot from the SEs)

also, any download links?

Last edited by killtrocity : 02-19-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #1039
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i haven't downloaded it yet. supposedly there are torrents out there.

it is a 1080 conversion from an original '77' 35mm film print that's been digitally "fixed". So it's free of all of Lucas's later additions, edits, etc. It's the original title sequence and crawl as well

Old 02-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #1040
redbreegull

damn I tried to find a torrent of the reissued original cut of IV a few weeks ago to no avail. Wound up watching the newest HD version, and the enhanced quality of the picture just made the dewbacks and shit look even worse. And when Han steps on Jabba's tail it actually looks like someone's high school film project special effects

Old 02-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #1041
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Jabba was originally a short fat jew

Old 03-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #1042
october
Pledge

Quote:
damn I tried to find a torrent of the reissued original cut of IV a few weeks ago to no avail. Wound up watching the newest HD version, and the enhanced quality of the picture just made the dewbacks and shit look even worse. And when Han steps on Jabba's tail it actually looks like someone's high school film project special effects
Yeah that shit is weak. All these years of retaining the VHS/tape collection is paying off so I don't ever have to watch that garbage again.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #1043
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
i haven't downloaded it yet. supposedly there are torrents out there.

it is a 1080 conversion from an original '77' 35mm film print that's been digitally "fixed". So it's free of all of Lucas's later additions, edits, etc. It's the original title sequence and crawl as well
That's all there is to it? Why did these people cull from 7 different video sources to achieve the same product: http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Har...T-NOW/id/12713 ?

Old 03-03-2016, 10:12 PM   #1044
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
There is an original unaltered version of the movies that you can find online. I think they are sourced from the Laserdisc release and are pretty decent versions of the movies. I watched the original cuts of the original trilogy this year for the first time

Also I got the silver screen edition... haven't watched it in full yet. but it's really really grainy.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #1045
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Old 10-07-2016, 05:31 AM   #1046
bright_doom
Ownz

Sorry to bump an old thread, but if you're a Star Wars nerd like me whose got a couple of hours of free time and a 6pack of beer, I recommend checking out this latest Mr Plinkett review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miVRaoR_8xQ

And yes, I know it's better to embed but I'm on my mobile and am not sure if I even can.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #1047
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I watched it a couple days ago, it was very interesting. They didn't go in nearly as harshly as they did with the prequels, because they actually liked episode VII, but there's some good points there.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #1048
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I saw all of the OT films in their original formats in theaters the day they were each released.

We had to wait in line outside for five or six hours to see the first one. Back then the largest theatre in town had only 2 screens and almost no lobby. You could not buy tickets in advance. You had to queue up and wait outside.

Same thing happened for ESB. But by then we had a 6 screen theatre here. By the time ROTJ opened that theatre had 12 screens. Star Wars and movies like Jaws and Close encounters changed the movie industry. If Star Wars had never happened I don't think I would have spent so many weekends of my childhood visiting theaters to watch movies.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #1049
LaBelle
Socialphobic

My mom took me to watch the re-release in the theater, I was super young (around 6, 7 years old) and according to her I was standing up the whole way through A New Hope, and wouldn't shut up about it for weeks after watching it.