Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #91
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You
 
GlasgowKiss's Avatar
 
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 14,160
Default

The billy fans remind me of rapists. "I dont care if its right or not, i want it now."

 
GlasgowKiss is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #92
Axis of Action
Socialphobic
 
Axis of Action's Avatar
 
Location: ur underpants lol
Posts: 13,211
Default

also, James wrote at least a couple really quality songs. I love The Boy and The Bells.

lastly, you don't know the definition of rock until you've heard the fast + rant version of I Am One.

 
Axis of Action is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #93
A100
Demi-God
 
A100's Avatar
 
Location: out walking shade
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Yeah, pretty much. Although, when it happens, and I think it will, I expect plenty of dumbfucks who never saw james live with sp to come running here saying that he played it better than james.

Plenty of them will.
right... because no one can play that sweet opening guitar melody like james
or the 2 guitar solos
or WAITAMINUTE

 
A100 is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #94
caliphornia
Ownz
 
caliphornia's Avatar
 
Posts: 577
Default

not as bad as linkin park/nickleback/my chemical romance/taking back sunday/breaking benjamin/hoobastank/yellow card/panic at the disco fans.

 
caliphornia is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #95
pyrocus
Demi-God
 
pyrocus's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Yeah, pretty much. Although, when it happens, and I think it will, I expect plenty of dumbfucks who never saw james live with sp to come running here saying that he played it better than james.

Plenty of them will.
I think they'll play it sooner or later too. Now, I do take back what I said earlier. Soma is a very, very memorable and powerful Smashing Pumpkins song. I would want them to still play it.

 
pyrocus is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #96
pyrocus
Demi-God
 
pyrocus's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 380
Default

I just wonder how Billy would have Jeff play the guitar parts that James wrote in those songs. When I heard Today live in Paris, I thought the guitar parts were pretty dead on.

 
pyrocus is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #97
zerock
Ownz
 
zerock's Avatar
 
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 710
Default

They will play it eventually i guess.

 
zerock is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #98
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade
 
Location: Waiting in line for his geranium kiss
Posts: 15,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A100
right... because no one can play that sweet opening guitar melody like james
or the 2 guitar solos
or WAITAMINUTE

See, perfect example. Hasn't even happened yet and already this moron is saying that its better than james.

 
Esty is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #99
A100
Demi-God
 
A100's Avatar
 
Location: out walking shade
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
See, perfect example. Hasn't even happened yet and already this moron is saying that its better than james.
exactly which part did James play in Soma that is so freaking memorable and unrepeatable?

 
A100 is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #100
TheJoker
Apocalyptic Poster
 
TheJoker's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,292
Default

you heard that in seattle too?

God and dog! and fuckin' gay!

 
TheJoker is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #101
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade
 
Location: Waiting in line for his geranium kiss
Posts: 15,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A100
exactly which part did James play in Soma that is so freaking memorable and unrepeatable?
Ok, you're a stupid fuck too. Thanks, i'm done with you.

 
Esty is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #102
A100
Demi-God
 
A100's Avatar
 
Location: out walking shade
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Ok, you're a stupid fuck too. Thanks, i'm done with you.
Can't answer, can you? Thanks for playing.

 
A100 is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #103
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You
 
GlasgowKiss's Avatar
 
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 14,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A100
Can't answer, can you? Thanks for playing.
You're the one with you a fucking TFE username location and picture. Your opinion on soma is fucking worthless.

 
GlasgowKiss is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #104
A100
Demi-God
 
A100's Avatar
 
Location: out walking shade
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowKiss
You're the one with you a fucking TFE username location and picture. Your opinion on soma is fucking worthless.
LOL! You can't answer either. good for you.

 
A100 is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #105
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You
 
GlasgowKiss's Avatar
 
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 14,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A100
LOL! You can't answer either. good for you.
You like that soulless TFE bullshit. You really wouldnt understand. Now go get raped again by your father so you can feel closer to billy.

 
GlasgowKiss is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #106
A100
Demi-God
 
A100's Avatar
 
Location: out walking shade
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowKiss
You like that soulless TFE bullshit. You really wouldnt understand. Now go get raped again by your father so you can feel closer to billy.


you're so obviously right about BC needing James. i mean, look at all the valid points you're bringing up about the band and its music.

 
A100 is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 01:58 PM   #107
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa
 
pale_princess's Avatar
 
Location: the barrio
Posts: 9,861
Default

i think bringing up tfe is the most valid point anyone can make.

 
pale_princess is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #108
ping-ping
Pledge
 
ping-ping's Avatar
 
Location: VA
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowKiss
The billy fans remind me of rapists. "I dont care if its right or not, i want it now."
Very apt metaphor.

Anyway, I admit to being a stupid fuck, but I don't think I'm an ingrate. I bought tickets and I'm excited about the shows. That said I really miss James, and always will. Even though he's an emo hipster "so cool I live in NYC now" douchebag, I've developed a strong attachment to him. Same with Corgan, even though he pulled this fake "reunion" shit. I'm grateful that I get to hear some of my favorite songs live again, but it isn't the same band I saw 7 years ago and I think this whole thing has been mishandled. Tell us who's in the band in a timely manner. Introduce the new members. They deserve that respect, right? I think to be 100% okay with this you have to buy into the "Billy Corgan IS the Smashing Pumpkins" business to feel that way, and if you don't, you don't. I think that's fair enough. The vids released last night were awesome to watch, but it still doesn't strike me as the same band.


 
ping-ping is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #109
cyclonus5150
Oblivious Virgin
 
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3
I've interacted with a lot of different fans, but SP fans (maybe just Netphorians in particular) have to be the worst. And this is really saying something, since Tool and NIN fans are pretty stupid.

I'm not talking about having to constantly suck Billy's cock. There's plenty I don't like about SP: songs, albums, tours, etc. Yeah, it's easy to see how people can think the robes are stupid and be disappointed about not having old members.

However, stuff like all this posting of old band pictures and moaning over times past in the PARIS show discussion thread is sickening. It reeks of an obsession with IMAGE over MUSIC. This is how emo kids and mainstream pop fans act.

We get a HUGE fucking rock show, and an ensuing tour where millions of people will get to hear songs that might not have EVER even been played live again. PLUS, Billy is even allowing all this open bootlegging! How many mainstream rock bands do that?!

I don't give a fuck about how the current situation compares with your idealized nostalgia. I've been a huge fan since 1995, I remember Billy with hair and cute D'arcy and all that shit. YOU GET TO SEE SP AGAIN, you get to hear Cherub Rock and Silverfuck and Tonight, Tonight, etc. slamming you in the face from huge speakerss and Billy ripping out solos on stage. You get a whole new album of hard rocking songs.

If you can't enjoy this without James standing a certain way or making the occasional wisecrack, or without thinking about beating off to D'arcy later that night, then you're really not into the music at all, you're into an idealized memory.

I hate censorship, and think people should be able to post whatever they want, but I'm just sharing my reaction to what I see. Feel free to flame away.

Thanks so much for pretty much saying everything I've been feeling since returning here. Honestly, it wasn't like this around here 7 years ago. I too have been a fan since 92 and actually saw the band several times when Billy had hair. It was always, ALWAYS about the music back then and they constantly delivered. So they jumped the shark a bit after MCIS and Billy started to try and move away from rock music. Lots of fans left at that point but some of us stuck around anyway. Why? Because the community around here was alot of fun to share opinion with and it really helped to get everyone's take on the music. Afterall, that's what it was all about - the music. So what if lots of us were secretly wishing that Billy would return to writing bombastic rock jams full of blistering guitar solos and beautiful layers of sound. It really sucked because we knew what Billy and Jimmy together were capable of and when Jimmy came back into the fold, our expectations shot through the roof. Little did we know that Billy was in such a creative rut, or so it seemed at the time. I'll always maintain that Machina was written and recorded during a time when Billy was going through something that impeded his creative process. Maybe depression or lack of inspiration...who knows. All I know is that those songs were nearly lifeless and sonically cannot hold a flame to anything on Siamese Dream.

Seven years ago I could post that opinion...and it is just that....and more than likely I would encounter someone either just as equally bummed out or someone that could intelligently offer their own opinion even if it didn't match mine. It was cool. It's not so much anymore. Now it's all whining about each and everything the band does and I don't understand. This band has been defunct for 7 years and very unexpectedly resurrected and instead of rejoicing alot of people around here feel the need to complain because they didn't play enough Adore tracks in their first show back or the lead single from the upcoming album might indicate a return to hard rock?

Get over it, people. Despite what alot of you may believe or want to believe, the Pumpkins were a mega-platinum act with a really wide variety of fans. Lots of us were rock fans who latched onto the Pumpkins in the early 90's because they offered us an alternative to the "alternative" movement which was at the time killing any true musical ambition in rock music. Guitar solos were the enemy and Billy played them with a ferocious abandon and he did it with great style and critical acclaim. He was a regular in Guitar World, in case you didn't know and Gish was actually named best new album in that same very magazine!

This is a rock guitar band at it's core and despite the fact that Billy decided to dabble in gothic, electronic keyboard-based music towards the end and basically eschewed guitar solos, there are plenty of us that loved who they were in the beginning. We celebrate a return to their roots as they move forward, not backward. They've still got alot of rocking to do, people. Either you're along for the ride or you're left behind to mope around in "The Crying Tree of Mercury".

 
cyclonus5150 is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 02:13 PM   #110
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade
 
Location: Waiting in line for his geranium kiss
Posts: 15,495
Default

Who the fuck wants to read all that?

 
Esty is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #111
cyclonus5150
Oblivious Virgin
 
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Who the fuck wants to read all that?
Prime example right here. It's like I've died and gone to Hollister.

 
cyclonus5150 is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #112
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster
 
fluxequalsrad's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Ok, you're a stupid fuck too. Thanks, i'm done with you.
uhhh... Anyone can play the intro to Soma.

 
fluxequalsrad is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #113
A100
Demi-God
 
A100's Avatar
 
Location: out walking shade
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonus5150
Prime example right here. It's like I've died and gone to Hollister.
Esty kind of personifies netphoria, in that there's never really a valid point, just a lot of irrational anger.

 
A100 is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #114
theghostchild
Demi-God
 
theghostchild's Avatar
 
Location: The Home of Gish
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo
I think it's just Netphoria. The Australian and UK sites don't have the same 15-year-olds whining about 'pumpkins without James and D'Arcy is Zwan 2.0' and such illogical nonsense.

Also, the Zomb site is full of Pumpkins fans and they are all friendly and helpful.

Some of the clowns here do talk nonsense. I can't understand why someone would post to a Smashing Pumpkins website when they seem to HATE 90% of everything about the band and Billy.

I say if you hate Billy Corgan, go and spend your time on something other than a web forum devoted to Billy Corgan.

I love the new song, can't wait to hear the album, and am very hopeful that they will tour in Australia.
The funny thing is, anyone under the age of @ 20, who criticizes the band for moving forward w/o James and Darcy, dont even have an honest reason as to why version 2.0 will be better than 1.0. Seriously, in 97, when Jimmy was gone, these kids were kids (10 years old)....granted, I was 13-14 when I got into the Pumpkins, but it was also in 92-93....when all the original members were in the band. So do the youngins hate or are they just talking out of their ass.

As a fan of the band, and as a fan of ALL their albums, each album was always a progression...something new, a different style...what were James and D'Arcy's contributions? Does it matter at this point.....the fact of the matter is the Smashing Pumpkins are back. This is not some reunion because of The Future Embrace....anyone who actually remembers knows the announcement was made the same day as the album was released...before Bily or anyone knew it was or was not going to be a commercial success. Corgan even mentioned that he had spoken with Robert Smith of the Cure about who the band really was.....anyways, I am getting sidetracked. All I want to really say is SP is SP. This is not some Axl GNR make over deal.

This is the next evolution of the Smashing Pumpkins, the music of Bily Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain and lets just enjoy it! ZEITGEIST is upon us and it is going to kick the ass of modern rock!

 
theghostchild is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #115
theghostchild
Demi-God
 
theghostchild's Avatar
 
Location: The Home of Gish
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonus5150
Thanks so much for pretty much saying everything I've been feeling since returning here. Honestly, it wasn't like this around here 7 years ago. I too have been a fan since 92 and actually saw the band several times when Billy had hair. It was always, ALWAYS about the music back then and they constantly delivered. So they jumped the shark a bit after MCIS and Billy started to try and move away from rock music. Lots of fans left at that point but some of us stuck around anyway. Why? Because the community around here was alot of fun to share opinion with and it really helped to get everyone's take on the music. Afterall, that's what it was all about - the music. So what if lots of us were secretly wishing that Billy would return to writing bombastic rock jams full of blistering guitar solos and beautiful layers of sound. It really sucked because we knew what Billy and Jimmy together were capable of and when Jimmy came back into the fold, our expectations shot through the roof. Little did we know that Billy was in such a creative rut, or so it seemed at the time. I'll always maintain that Machina was written and recorded during a time when Billy was going through something that impeded his creative process. Maybe depression or lack of inspiration...who knows. All I know is that those songs were nearly lifeless and sonically cannot hold a flame to anything on Siamese Dream.

Seven years ago I could post that opinion...and it is just that....and more than likely I would encounter someone either just as equally bummed out or someone that could intelligently offer their own opinion even if it didn't match mine. It was cool. It's not so much anymore. Now it's all whining about each and everything the band does and I don't understand. This band has been defunct for 7 years and very unexpectedly resurrected and instead of rejoicing alot of people around here feel the need to complain because they didn't play enough Adore tracks in their first show back or the lead single from the upcoming album might indicate a return to hard rock?

Get over it, people. Despite what alot of you may believe or want to believe, the Pumpkins were a mega-platinum act with a really wide variety of fans. Lots of us were rock fans who latched onto the Pumpkins in the early 90's because they offered us an alternative to the "alternative" movement which was at the time killing any true musical ambition in rock music. Guitar solos were the enemy and Billy played them with a ferocious abandon and he did it with great style and critical acclaim. He was a regular in Guitar World, in case you didn't know and Gish was actually named best new album in that same very magazine!

This is a rock guitar band at it's core and despite the fact that Billy decided to dabble in gothic, electronic keyboard-based music towards the end and basically eschewed guitar solos, there are plenty of us that loved who they were in the beginning. We celebrate a return to their roots as they move forward, not backward. They've still got alot of rocking to do, people. Either you're along for the ride or you're left behind to mope around in "The Crying Tree of Mercury".
THANK YOU for saying this....I can not agree more. The Smashing Pumpkins were the alternative to alternative. For those of us who thought a bit deeper or were looking to an alternative to "Smells Like Teen Spirit". (Side thought, I think if Cobain were to have lived, Nirvana would not be celebrated the way they are....) . It was Billy's music that changed many of our lives. It was not James music. It was not Darcy's. It was this wall of guitars, bombastic drumming, and a voice that made shivers run down your back. This is what the Smashing Pumpkins were....an entity, something beyond the individuals.

 
theghostchild is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #116
Stam
Oblivious Virgin
 
Posts: 37
Default

the reason these guys who hate 90% of what the pumpkins stand for stay here and chat isn't that they are pumpkins fans.. it's that they are netphoria fans .. they like the constant sniping and berating newbies and the overall netphoria humour .. I think people really should go elsewhere for serious pumpkins chat

 
Stam is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #117
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG
 
Dogfighter28's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 11,350
Default

Cause sodomy is such a part of you

ohhohhohh the years burn...

 
Dogfighter28 is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #118
j u n e
Apocalyptic Poster
 
j u n e's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stam
the reason these guys who hate 90% of what the pumpkins stand for stay here and chat isn't that they are pumpkins fans.. it's that they are netphoria fans .. they like the constant sniping and berating newbies and the overall netphoria humour .. I think people really should go elsewhere for serious pumpkins chat
where, smashingpumpkins.com? lolz.

 
j u n e is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 02:42 PM   #119
neopryn
let's see your penis!
 
neopryn's Avatar
 
Location: i had a few beers, but i'm cool to drive
Posts: 31,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrocus
LOL, are you actually telling me that you think James' songs were the most powerful and memorable Smashing Pumpkins songs recorded? Give me a fucking break...
just in case this hasn't been made clear, he co-wrote I Am One, Soma, and Mayonaise you fucking idiot.

 
neopryn is offline
Old 05-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #120
polyethylene
Pledge
 
polyethylene's Avatar
 
Posts: 71
Default

The Pumpkins didn't play Soma once in the final year of the band. Forgetting James co-writing the song, maybe Billy doesn't have his heart in playing it anymore.

I do think he won't play any Iha co-written songs though, because maybe withholding them is a sign that they're being saved for something like Iha rejoining the band. Or maybe Billy just feels bad playing a song he didn't completely write (excluding covers).

 
polyethylene is offline
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2014