Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Default Read this Interview

It's one of the better ones to come out lately.

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-10-...-album-ogilala

Quote:
“Sometimes people will say something to you [and] when they say it, it’s so obvious, but it hasn’t been obvious to you until they said it,” says Corgan as we offer the comparison. “A guy the other day said something similar. The way he said it was, ‘there’s a sweetness in this that I haven’t heard from you for a long time, [that] I was missing in the recent years’. And it was the first time that I thought, ‘you know, he’s right.’ If you’d asked me before that observation I would [have thought] ‘Oh, no, that’s there’, but it’s true. I used to do a lot of music like this and somewhere along the way it got harsher, more closed off, which is surprising, because it wasn’t conscious at all.”

“Between 1999 and 2015, I just was not able to go there, which is weird,” he continues. “Because that’s a long fucking time, if you look at it like that. For me, that’s a traumatised person. I’m not asking for sympathy, it’s just an observation. That’s what you do when you’re traumatised, you turn into a survival personality. Vulnerability requires a person who’s willing to die for what they believe in, and that’s not easy. If I’m willing to be vulnerable, I’m willing to put that side out there. If I’m not, I turn into the other guy, and the other guy, unfortunately, is not as agreeable.”
And

Quote:
While fans of Corgan's more vintage sounds may be pleased with the new album, those who are newer to Corgan's work may struggle to make sense of it and its place in his recent oeuvre. But, says Corgan, to try to make sense of Ogilala purely within the linear construct of Corgan's career, is to misunderstand the album's real story. "Part of the story that’s kind of confusing is I did an acoustic album in 2004 that never came out, that’s very stark. So for me – time is funny – it feels like I finally completed the beginning of that. Most people tend to focus, and rightly so, on, okay you made one solo album 12 years ago, [it was] electronic-y, how does this all fit together? But the real story is it connects to that acoustic album."

Public opinion is clearly something which weighs heavily on Corgan. He’s pleased, he says, with the reception this album has had so far, and hopes it will go some way to bringing estranged fans back into the fold – “If they’re even listening anymore” – but has felt frustrated with fan reaction over the years. “When you do good work and the public treats it like you’re still on fucking Mars, I mean, what do you do with that?” he asks. “You can’t build off of that because there’s no momentum.”
“I end up buying the narrative," he continues. “Like, ‘Meh, it’s alright.’ But then I listen [back] and I’m like, this is actually pretty good, there’s some good stuff on here! It doesn’t sound like someone who’s lost in the fucking wilderness, it’s weird. You end up almost subscribing more to the public thing – the indifference, the apathy – it’s disconcerting.”

Old 10-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #2
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i like this

Quote:
For once in my life I’m willing to give [people] what [they’d] like to see, no problem. No funny set list, no agenda, strictly let’s have a fucking party and let’s really fucking celebrate.”
you mean no 20 minute heavy metal machine melody or kazoos?

btw i got rid of your duplicate thread. i take payment it bitcoin

Old 10-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #3
Ram27
dumb

i want to see you and james and jimmy c and d'arcy play together

Old 10-14-2017, 11:21 PM   #4
Ram27
dumb

but really i respect billy for taking such a reflective look at himself and realizing the problem with the recent output

this new album, is, at worst, very listenable

he really, really tried. no three minute intentionally radio friendly pop hits that actually sucked, no stupid 44 song concept

he sat down and strummed some chords and sang words that really meant something to him

there's something beautiful about that

Old 10-14-2017, 11:28 PM   #5
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Not to be a killjoy or anything (god forbid) but it's over ram. tsp blows. they lost whatever they had the magic during those peak mcis years. they started to regain it during those arising shows but then it all disintegrated. since then billy has blown megalothon dong. recreating the original environment won't bring back the magic. All we can do is listen to the gravity demos and weep!

Old 10-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #6
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
but really i respect billy for taking such a reflective look at himself and realizing the problem with the recent output

this new album, is, at worst, very listenable

he really, really tried. no three minute intentionally radio friendly pop hits that actually sucked, no stupid 44 song concept

he sat down and strummed some chords and sang words that really meant something to him

there's something beautiful about that
It's interesting that he a.) acknowledges that his songwriting changed after Machina and b.) that he actually has grappled with doubts about that material. For so long, he put up such a confident front. That he admitted he actually had insecurities is interesting.

Glad he ultimately feels good about that stuff though. There are plenty of gems over the last 18 years, you just have to be really keyed into what he's doing to know where to find them

Old 10-14-2017, 11:58 PM   #7
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

this is so surprisingly good to read
sounds like he is feeling better now, good to know

Old 10-15-2017, 12:30 AM   #8
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Not to be a killjoy or anything (god forbid) but it's over ram. tsp blows. they lost whatever they had the magic during those peak mcis years. they started to regain it during those arising shows but then it all disintegrated. since then billy has blown megalothon dong. recreating the original environment won't bring back the magic. All we can do is listen to the gravity demos and weep!
gravity demos are so good dude

Old 10-15-2017, 12:49 AM   #9
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Depends how you qualify magic.

Anyone sitting there expecting or hoping for a reunion to result in Bill shredding his ass off land screaming in his best screech is kidding themselves, including Bill. But that doesn't mean the four of them up there doing a few shows can't still be something special. Fuck it, just go up there, have fun, no new songs required, and maybe good vibes'll make for a good show. Lately it certainly sounds like that's enough for him and that's cool, hopefully the same goes for everyone else.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:08 AM   #10
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I could be Look to the Sky + Life begins again, I would love that

Old 10-15-2017, 05:09 AM   #11
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Between 1999 and 2015, I just was not able to go there, which is weird,” he continues. “Because that’s a long fucking time, if you look at it like that. For me, that’s a traumatised person. I’m not asking for sympathy, it’s just an observation. That’s what you do when you’re traumatised, you turn into a survival personality.
Traumatised for 15 years because SP1 broke up?

Old 10-15-2017, 06:01 AM   #12
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Traumatised for 15 years because SP1 broke up?
And Zwan imploded.
And his solo album bombing.
And SP2 bombing.
And Teargarden being completely rejected by the fanbase.
And Oceania underperforming.
And the Adore reissue tanking.
And people mocking his cats, cafe, 8 hour synth experimentation.
And MTAE underperforming.

And that whole time Netphoria has been there to stick the boot in.

It's not a true picture obviously, but Billy does seem to have a victim-complex, at least in his public persona.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #13
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

reading recent interviews, Corgan strikes me as a person who is putting in the hard work to really change his ways and turn himself around, and ditch aside all the wrongful beliefs and attitudes his crazy life had gotten into him - from abusive parenting, to receiving fame he wasn't able to handle, only to have it taken away.

he's honestly changing, and the last decade and a half has brutally humbled him. regardless of all the shit that's being said about him here daily, i respect him deeply and think all the terrible music since 2004 was only the flipside reflection of the same character and anti-establishment attitude which made him the brilliant force and man of vision he was in the 90's.

i think that's why the new record is so well received - beyond the music itself, it just signifies a real reflection of who he is right now, rather than just seeing him go through the motions because SP is the only way he knows how to handle life (and i honestly mean that non-judgingly).

becoming famous is absolutely not for everyone, and his soul suffered for being famous in the internet age. so if i were to sign off this ruminating post with an invaluable life lesson, just to ever so douchily cap things off, it's - be careful what you wish for, children. it might come true.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Another good one.

http://www.musicweek.com/talent/read...terview/070132

Quote:
Oceania, I think works in many ways because it’s me sort of accepting the shadow, integrating the shadow, and sort of inverting it back out – where I’m okay to play that style of guitar and have that type of song. But when I listen back to it, it’s quite good, but it’s not great.
Quote:
Finally, you recently told Rolling Stone that while you would be fine if the original Smashing Pumpkins line-up never gets back together, you would like that to happen…
“I would prefer it, yeah.”

If that doesn’t transpire – and given you said that you feel you’ve done what you can with Pumpkins alone – what’s next?
“I don’t know. I’m just focussed on the solo album. But I do feel pretty strongly at this moment in my life that I don’t want to do Pumpkins without some version of the [original] band. I just can’t carry that anymore. I think it’s not for me alone anymore. I’ve taken it as far as I can take it on my own. Let’s say the band never reforms, never plays again, I put the band thing down and concentrate on going solo for a few years, and then seven years from now I feel inspired to do another [record] in the name Pumpkins, I can do it. I own the name. It’s up to me. It’s not like, ‘It has to be this way.’”

So it wouldn’t mean the end of Pumpkins?
“I think it’s kind of the end, but I’ve said that before. I don’t feel declarative about it. I just feel like we’ve reached a point where – and I’m saying collectively ‘we’, whoever is still interested, and me on the other side – the generational memory of the band obliterates the reality of the band. And only the band can change that. I can’t change that. I’m not powerful enough to change it. I tried, I failed. Only the band’s alchemy can change that formula. That’s it. I think it would be nice, it would be a great story. I’ll tell you one thing, James and I made our peace and I said I’d love him to come play [live] and he said he’d be interested. I sent him a rehearsal tape showing the way we were doing the songs – we were doing a Siamese [Dream, Smashing Pumpkins’ 1993 classic album] set in the middle of the acoustic tour. Obviously, he knows the fucking songs – he wrote some of them – but until he came to sound check we hadn’t played together since 2000. He didn’t come to a pre-rehearsal, we’re at sound check and there’s only so much time. He plugs in and motherfucker! He starts playing, I start playing, and Jeff looks at me like, ‘There it is! There’s that fucking sound.’ I’m getting goosebumps talking to you about it – that’s fucking real, that’s that sound. Jeff was like, ‘Holy shit!’ Jeff’s a fan, Jeff saw the band back in the day, he’s played in the band for 10 years, he knows all of James’ guitar parts. He was like, ‘Wow.’ It wasn’t like [the sound] was kind of there, it was there. The beautiful story is: if this [solo album] goes well, and I’m happy, and then we reform and we’re able to make music, that’s the Cinderella story. For once I’d like it to go the way I would like it to go [laughs]!”

Old 10-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #15
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
the generational memory of the band obliterates the reality of the band. And only the band can change that. I can’t change that. I’m not powerful enough to change it. I tried, I failed. Only the band’s alchemy can change that formula. That’s it. I think it would be nice, it would be a great story. I’ll tell you one thing, James and I made our peace and I said I’d love him to come play [live] and he said he’d be interested. I sent him a rehearsal tape showing the way we were doing the songs – we were doing a Siamese [Dream, Smashing Pumpkins’ 1993 classic album] set in the middle of the acoustic tour. Obviously, he knows the fucking songs – he wrote some of them – but until he came to sound check we hadn’t played together since 2000. He didn’t come to a pre-rehearsal, we’re at sound check and there’s only so much time. He plugs in and motherfucker! He starts playing, I start playing, and Jeff looks at me like, ‘There it is! There’s that fucking sound.’ I’m getting goosebumps talking to you about it – that’s fucking real, that’s that sound. Jeff was like, ‘Holy shit!’ Jeff’s a fan, Jeff saw the band back in the day, he’s played in the band for 10 years, he knows all of James’ guitar parts. He was like, ‘Wow.’ It wasn’t like [the sound] was kind of there, it was there. The beautiful story is: if this [solo album] goes well, and I’m happy, and then we reform and we’re able to make music, that’s the Cinderella story. For once I’d like it to go the way I would like it to go [laughs]!”
that is so so so beautiful

oh my god

Old 10-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #16
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
The beautiful story is: if this [solo album] goes well, and I’m happy, and then we reform and we’re able to make music, that’s the Cinderella story.

Quote:
if this [solo album] goes well

Quote:
if this [solo album] goes well

...you heard the man!

Old 10-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #17
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
He didn’t come to a pre-rehearsal, we’re at sound check and there’s only so much time. He plugs in and motherfucker! He starts playing, I start playing, and Jeff looks at me like, ‘There it is! There’s that fucking sound.’ I’m getting goosebumps talking to you about it – that’s fucking real, that’s that sound. Jeff was like, ‘Holy shit!’

Old 10-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #18
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

The Oceania thing cracks me up. He talked up that record so much and even went so far to say it was him escaping the past and stuff.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #19
FoolofaTook

Lol jeff

Old 10-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #20
FoolofaTook

What a wimp. He should have broken James' nose.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #21
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

It is going well already, it's gotten good reviews, sold out concerts, and he said he doesn't care about sales numbers anymore, so let us just give him the millenial illusion of success, which are likes and retweets

Old 10-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #22
Ram27
dumb

I tried, I failed.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #23
Ram27
dumb

Obviously, he knows the fucking songs – he wrote some of them

Old 10-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #24
Ram27
dumb

He plugs in and motherfucker! He starts playing, I start playing, and Jeff looks at me like, ‘There it is! There’s that fucking sound.’ I’m getting goosebumps talking to you about it – that’s fucking real, that’s that sound. Jeff was like, ‘Holy shit!’ Jeff’s a fan, Jeff saw the band back in the day, he’s played in the band for 10 years, he knows all of James’ guitar parts. He was like, ‘Wow.’ It wasn’t like [the sound] was kind of there, it was there.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #25
Ram27
dumb

He plugs in and motherfucker! He starts playing, I start playing, and Jeff looks at me like, ‘There it is! There’s that fucking sound.’ I’m getting goosebumps talking to you about it – that’s fucking real, that’s that sound. Jeff was like, ‘Holy shit!’ Jeff’s a fan, Jeff saw the band back in the day, he’s played in the band for 10 years, he knows all of James’ guitar parts. He was like, ‘Wow.’ It wasn’t like [the sound] was kind of there, it was there.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #26
Ram27
dumb

holy fucking shit

Old 10-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #27
T&T
Socialphobic

I call BS
it's just media promo
he'll say anything to sell a record
and saying "i'm back to my old form, from when everyone loved me" is something he's been saying for every album that's tanked.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #28
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Also feel like in recent interviews he is beginning to shy away from "full on reunion" to "some configuration" of the OG band. He must have doubts about D'arcy being able to do it or something.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #29
FoolofaTook

This world has lost it's glory.
Lets start a brand new story.
Now my love.
You think that I don't even mean.
A single word I say...
It's only words.
And words are all I have.
To take your heart away.
Talk, in everlasting words

Old 10-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #30
T&T
Socialphobic

I don't think James wants to be 100% into the band either. They know the torture that's involved with a large commitment. They're probably down for something, but not full album and tour commitment.

but realistically I don't think there's a demand for a full world stadium tour anyways... they'd do 10 shows max, same scale as billy's current tour schedule - and wait to see the response before planning anything more (but the rest of the band won't be up for anything huge anyways).