Elphenor
Braindead

I've got nothing to prove

Old 06-26-2016, 10:42 PM   #62
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
everyone feel bad about your art, art is only for famous people you fucking cretins.
you spelled "hobby" wrong. it's not a-r-t. it's h-o-b-b-y.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:46 PM   #63
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

it's a way overly cynical attitude. most people are never going to be among the best at their hobbies out of 7 billion people. that's not at all a reason to not indulge in what you like to do. should we all be miserable because we can't be famous and globally influential? that makes no sense. it's like when trotskilicious flamed me as a pathetic talentless nothing for posting a video of me playing an open mic at a starbucks. meanwhile he tried to learn guitar but refused to accept that you can't go from not playing the instrument to playing like the chick from Joy Formidable in a matter of weeks and gave up, and somehow that was less shameful to him

Old 06-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #64
Elphenor
Braindead

If I posted myself playing metallica would I get to call myself an artist

Old 06-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #65
slunken
Virgo

so your argument is trots being bad at guitar?

i see what you're saying, but it just hurts to see so many people putting more thought into playing guitar than actually playing guitar.

i feel like if all of us put more energy into actually doing it, than thinking or posting about, we would all be much better players.

most of this thread is people sticking their thumb up their own butthole and trying to justify themselves

Old 06-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #66
slunken
Virgo

its like the fake interview we all wish we could get itt

Old 06-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #67
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
this whole thread is just an excuse for couch-noodlers to wax philosophically about being the rockers/songwriters they won't ever be

giant fap thread

not excluding myself here but you all should be disgusted with yourselves. this is vixnix level shit.
I don't want to be a rocker or a songwriter - I'm 36. But I do get paid to play, on occasion. Not often, but about half a dozen times, this year. When was the last time you were paid to play?

I don't start couch noodler threads because I'm not one. I only usually play or sing at home when I'm practicing for a gig, or supervising my kids practice/rehearsing with my kids.

Definitely don't put more thought into playing that time playing. Which is probably why I get paid and play in public...

Old 06-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #68
slunken
Virgo

"so, tell me about your songwriting process"

WELL....

Old 06-26-2016, 10:53 PM   #69
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I only usually play or sing at home when I'm practicing for a gig,
HOLY SHIT VIXNIX PLAYS GIGS WHERE CAN I BUY TICKETS

Old 06-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #70
Elphenor
Braindead

I don't disagree with you Slunken I just feel like you got something out of my posts that I wasn't trying to put down

Old 06-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #71
slunken
Virgo

btw vix i do contract work as well. i don't get paid to play. i get paid to record.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #72
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

record what? you mean you're a recording engineer or something?

Old 06-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #73
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I don't disagree with you Slunken I just feel like you got something out of my posts that I wasn't trying to put down
for the record this isn't about you, im just trying to rip the guts out of this stupid circle jerk

Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #74
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
HOLY SHIT VIXNIX PLAYS GIGS WHERE CAN I BUY TICKETS
You can't - I get paid to play piano at funerals and organ at church services. You'd be welcome at church, though. And the choir I sing in, is paid to sing at weddings and church services.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #75
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I wasn't patting myself on the back. I admitted that I am terrible and lack the perseverance to bring anything to fruition.

I believe this means I am the master of this thread.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #76
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
record what? you mean you're a recording engineer or something?
i record this thing called music. soundtrack work

though on your side it doesn't pay as much as sitting on the side of the road and beating out old standards on a guitar to passers-by on their way to a ball game.

does your church pay you?

Old 06-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #77
vixnix
Socialphobic

ITT slunken projects his self-hate on others for no discernible reason

Old 06-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #78
Elphenor
Braindead

Honestly professional musicians for hire are worse to me than couch noodlers I'm just gonna flat out say that I don't care

Old 06-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #79
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
You can't - I get paid to play piano at funerals and organ at church services. You'd be welcome at church, though. And the choir I sing in, is paid to sing at weddings and church services.
so don't fucking call it a gig. you're disrespecting your own faith.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #80
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
ITT slunken projects his self-hate on others for no discernible reason
so?

Old 06-26-2016, 11:01 PM   #81
TuralyonW3
Immortal

the Hexadic system

Old 06-26-2016, 11:01 PM   #82
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Honestly professional musicians for hire are worse to me than couch noodlers I'm just gonna flat out say that I don't care
what initially upset me was everyone talking about their couch-noodling as if it were some tired craft

Old 06-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #83
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
i record this thing called music. soundtrack work

though on your side it doesn't pay as much as sitting on the side of the road and beating out old standards on a guitar to passers-by on their way to a ball game.

does your church pay you?
It's not my church. My church has a dedicated director of music and an organ scholar who are both paid - the DOM is also a university lecturer with two PhDs. So they don't need a shitty organist/pianist like me. I get paid by a church we used to attend, because I'm on a roster of paid organists. I play there about once a month. But I also get asked to play at other places, for services.

It is a gig. In the sense that I need to be there at a certain time, play specific pieces of music as required, and I get paid for it.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #84
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
the Hexadic system
I listened to a podcast about this recently.

I use dice-rolling (ten-sided) as a mathematical method

Old 06-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #85
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
It's not my church. My church has a dedicated director of music and an organ scholar who are both paid - the DOM is also a university lecturer with two PhDs. So they don't need a shitty organist/pianist like me. I get paid by a church we used to attend, because I'm on a roster of paid organists. I play there about once a month. But I also get asked to play at other places, for services.

It is a gig. In the sense that I need to be there at a certain time, play specific pieces of music as required, and I get paid for it.
if you were an atheist would you still do it?

Old 06-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #86
Elphenor
Braindead

"With King Crimson I did about three or four gigs standing up, and said, "This is hopeless, I just can't play this way."

"I never really listened to guitarists, because they've never really interested me. In fact, I think the guitar is a pretty feeble instrument. Virtually nothing interests me about the guitar.

-Robert Fripp

Old 06-26-2016, 11:06 PM   #87
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
This is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen you type. How is putting in thousands of hours of practice time and paying to an audience for a fee that covers your rent, food and utilities so that you can continue to practice and play for the pleasure of others, make you worse than a couch noodler, exactly?

Old 06-26-2016, 11:08 PM   #88
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
if you were an atheist would you still do it?
I can't answer that question, but there are atheists on the roster, so probably. Organists are most often paid by churches, regardless of their faith, because there isn't much of a market outside of churches, for organ music. The concert roster wouldn't pay enough for any organist to make a living from it, I wouldn't think. Especially in smaller cities.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:09 PM   #89
Elphenor
Braindead

Because I'd rather listen to a thousand shit bandcamp solo guitarists than one professional guitarist

Old 06-26-2016, 11:10 PM   #90
slunken
Virgo

I'm only asking these questions because i'm getting requests to play "faith and worship" music in local churches, which tbh is right up my alley of playing style