Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #181
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I started drinking and smoking weed at 14, so that's about where my expectations are for my kids, though I am trying to make things different for them, because my particular brain and adolescent drug use = psychosis/bipolar disorder II/crippling lifelong mental health challenges. Which I would rather they avoided.

But you know. If it's going to happen, I'm not going to be able to stop it. By that age, my opinion will be the last one they're interested in...

Old 06-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #182
slunken
Virgo

What if he blames you and/or is still dependent on you for food/clothing/shelter

Old 06-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #183
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I dunno. Guess I'll work on my throwing arm so that I use shoes as weapons, like my mother.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #184
slunken
Virgo

I would hold onto your belongings if I were you.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #185
slunken
Virgo

I wonder if modern parents exist who are like "i think i'd like my kid to take lessons for velocity-sensitive midi controllers"

Old 06-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #186
vixnix
Socialphobic

I think it's coming. Now that the hipster generation are beginning to procreate.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #187
slunken
Virgo

is that a hipster thing or a modern technology thing? by all accounts, the hipster thing to do would be to continue with piano lessons, if this time comes.

think about it, won't you?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #188
slunken
Virgo

stop casual shaming

Old 06-30-2016, 10:10 PM   #189
vixnix
Socialphobic

what? no way. hipsters are too cool for boring old staid traditions, just look at young whippersnapper elphenor there. Only old fuddy duddies like me get their kids to learn piano. Most families I know don't even have a piano, and those whose kids are learning, mostly learn on electric keyboards.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:17 PM   #190
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
hipsters are too cool for boring old staid traditions,
ukuleles, banjos, pipe tobacco, organics, farm-to-table, locally sourced, the (generic) list goes on.

once something becomes outdated it becomes art. so therefore, if midi controllers were to surpass pianos, the piano would become a cherished object again, and not some hated burden.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:19 PM   #191
slunken
Virgo

I don't know anybody who traditionally "learns piano" on a keyboard, they've all had real pianos since they were children. maybe i'm old.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #192
vixnix
Socialphobic

things are changing. It's not cost - pianos are cheaper these days, because there are so many second hand ones. It's mostly convenience - they have volume control and are more portable. So it's easier to move them around and find a space for them in your house, and practice time doesn't have to disturb anyone.

I would probably marginally prefer to use one of those regularly at home rather than have all my fingers amputated so that I could never play again. Marginally.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 PM   #193
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
things are changing. It's not cost - pianos are cheaper these days, because there are so many second hand ones. It's mostly convenience - they have volume control and are more portable. So it's easier to move them around and find a space for them in your house, and practice time doesn't have to disturb anyone.

I would probably marginally prefer to use one of those regularly at home rather than have all my fingers amputated so that I could never play again. Marginally.
I would find it difficult to learn velocity sensitivity, aftertouch, or displacement on a keyboard. Or how do you learn dynamics?

fortississimo/pianissimo?

An acoustic piano is not an electronic keyboard and should not be trained or treated as such, unless you're only only interested in notes.