Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Default For the Video Game Nerds: Playstation 3 or XBox 360?

So - I think it's time for me to creep into the future by buying my first video game system since the N64. I like the Wii, but want a little more "adult" video game system, so I'm considering either the Xbox360 or PS3.

I really want me some Rock Band for whichever one I buy - and I know that PS3 has wireless guitars for that, which I like a lot. PS3 also does the Blu-Ray discs, which makes sense seeing how within the next few years I'd like a Blu-Ray player.

For the video game nerds out there -- which is the superior choice? Why? Are there any good games for either of these things?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Banana
Banned

360. It has the best online and the best library of games.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
Shapan
Socialphobic

wii

Old 04-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
wally
cibohplaicos

did you actually expect this to end up in anything but a pissing match?

can we debate mccain vs. obama/clinton instead?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Andy /

Based on your post, it seems a PS3 would be a good fit for you. If online play isn't a big deal to you at all, I would think you'd be happy with a PS3 just fine.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Boots Electric
Demi-God

PC

Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
Fattening Ass
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Microsoft keeps squashing rumors of a new xbox with a built in BluRay Drive, but with all the rumors out there on it happening, im sure there will be one in no time. Some extra info for you to take in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Mo
Immortal

I'd give a foot to have a Playstation 3 when GTA IV comes out :/

Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

i would give you my opinion but it's kinda infuriating you didn't make this a poll so fuck you

Old 04-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
JapanAlex
Apocalyptic Poster

its like the playstation one in the sense that they are really gonna pushing the boundries of gaming graphics - even if the xbox looks like it has better graphics now

but i still prefer xbox

maybe when i see some better graphics .... graphics.... graaaapph

Old 04-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

360 has more games but the accessories, live service, etc., while necessary, is a rip. For example, it costs $10 to change your gamertag.

PS3 doesn't have many games yet but it's set to have one hell of a year.

But if we are talking strictly games, 360 is it.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
Corganist
Minion of Satan

I've been wondering about this topic myself lately. Right now all I really want to do is play games, and 360 has more games I want to play, so it would seem to be a fairly easy choice. But on the other hand, I hope to get a fancy HDTV sooner or later, so the Blu-Ray on the PS3 would come in quite handy eventually. It might be worth it to sacrifice playing a couple XBox 360 exclusive games for that. (90 percent of the games I'd play are available on both systems anyway.)

Also, I've spent way too much time reading about the Red Ring of Death on 360s, so I've halfway got myself convinced that if I buy one that it's going to crap out immediately and leave me out 400 bucks. I like to think that I'm just being paranoid there, but at this point I just don't know. Has anyone here had any major problems with 360s crapping out on them? At this point I'm leaning towards taking my chances with a 360...but I don't want to end up with a 400 dollar brick within 6 months of buying it.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #13
Shinobi
Demi-God

I don't know which firms have the rights to release which games, but I'd go for PS3 for the following reasons:

Final Fantasy XIII
Resident Evil 5
Metal Gear Solid 4
any Tomb Raiders that come along
GTA IV

360 may have more games out at the moment but PS3 has some real big guns to pull out.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #14
Fattening Ass
Just Hook it to My Veins!

those are the main reasons, along with Blu, that the PS3 is likely to come ahead this year. The Xbox needs good games and Blu to keep up. I think the good games alone won't help it when that whole HD player bonus is what can tip someone over

Old 04-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #15
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

real doll

Old 04-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #16
Banana
Banned

There have been multiple posts in this thread that indicate that people think that GTA IV is a PS3 exclusive when it will be coming out on 360 at the same time.

edit: Also Resident Evil 5 is also 360

Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #17
hastduvergessen
Pledge

video game nerds dont waste their time on consoles, i think youre looking for video game dweebs

Old 04-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Meeks View Post
real doll
agreed

Old 04-04-2008, 01:48 AM   #19
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gish08 View Post
360 has more games but the accessories, live service, etc., while necessary, is a rip. For example, it costs $10 to change your gamertag.

PS3 doesn't have many games yet but it's set to have one hell of a year.

But if we are talking strictly games, 360 is it.
I dont know about points, but I got my Live subscription for half price on ebay.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:09 AM   #20
Debaser
ghost

i currently have a 360 and it's great. so far, whenever the same game is on both the 360 and ps3, more often than not the 360 version is slightly better. the current ps3 game library and online service is pathetic compared to the 360. I also love the added bonus of being able to stream video from my PC to my 360 via my wireless home network. I download shows and movies and can watch them on my living room tv.

but i will definitely get a ps3 when MGS4 and the next FF come out. and of course, its still the cheapest blu-ray player available.

so the answer is: get both.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:28 AM   #21
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, ravenguy... a poll would have been wise. But I want evidence to back up one's opinion, so I opted out on that one.

Sounds like the party lines are pretty drawn here. I love that 360 can beam wifi TV/movies up to your x-box, that's insane.

Q: Is PS3 backwards compatible?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:17 AM   #22
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Q: Is PS3 backwards compatible?
The answer to this question will make you lose hope for humanity.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #23
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

HOW MUCH SHIT DO YOU NEED

Old 04-04-2008, 06:27 AM   #24
JapanAlex
Apocalyptic Poster

i just tested the ps3 and xbox in Yamada Denki

the ps3 is poor quality but sexier and has more features - also runs a bit quiter

Old 04-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #25
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

The XBox's execution is just infinitely better than the PS3. The way XBox Live works out honestly makes it very competitive with the PS3. Looking at the hardware alone really doesn't give you a good idea of how good it is. The 360 imo is the better system to own right now. Maybe if some decent RPGs come out for the PS3 it'll be worth buying over a 360... maaaybe.

So what's the point of owning a PS3 if you can't enjoy it since it has shit games? There really isn't much of one. I enjoyed Devil May Cry 4, but now that I'm done with it the fucking PS3 just sits there doing nothing. I probably haven't turned it on in three weeks. And another thing, the Wii, wtf, I knew Smash Bros. Brawl was going to be a disappointment and decried it since day one, but I didn't think it would be THAT big of a disappointment. It's actually worse than Melee in every aspect except graphics (which, if you look at Marth especially, barely changed). The engine's total crap- worse than Melee. How could they fuck it up that much?

And Pokemon Crystal and Pearl- I was at Best Buy today considering buying them, but the battle system still fucking looks the same it did when I was in middle school! Come on assholes, a game on the Nintendo DS that looks like a Gameboy Color game? I feel like I got slapped in the face by a big black dick with that one. And there are over 400 fucking Pokemon now! They all look like gay copies of previous Pokemon! They used to all be original, now they're ridiculous. Pokemon Blue/Red was an incredible game, but there's no reason to play any other Pokemon game.

http://www.gamerandy.com/archives/abe_simpson.gif

Old 04-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #26
JapanAlex
Apocalyptic Poster

i honestly don't want to sound rude but isn't pokemon a childs game?

my kid plays it but do you reckon i should give it a spin??

Old 04-04-2008, 07:52 AM   #27
Porceliamone
Demi-God

Listen, it's a no brainer man.

Get a PS3. Blu Ray has won the format war, (Toshiba have stopped making HD DVD players, most major studios have accepted the Blu Ray format) exclusive PS3 games will PISS on the 360 in the very near future just in terms of sheer capacity on a disk. The PS3 is more powerful and the online aspect is improving and will continue to do so.

Frankly, unless Microsoft pull a rather large bunny out of the bag or give in on format then you'd be dumb to buy a 360.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #28
jm9843
Ownz

Don't reward Sony for pushing their next generation optical media agenda by purchasing a PS3 due to its Blu-ray capabilities. There will be (or is now, depending on who you ask) better Blu-ray players. Really, the PS3 amounts to a Blu-ray player first and a Final Fantasy/Metal Gear Solid playing console second.

Buy a 360 for all of the other games and its online services (you get what you pay for). Although you may want to read up on how to identify the latest 360s manufactured with the "Falcon" motherboard as they are less prone to hardware failure.

Another note on GTA IV: the Xbox 360 will have exclusive downloadable episodic content for the game that the PS3 will miss out on.

Last edited by jm9843 : 04-04-2008 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Porceliamone is a no brainer.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #29
Porceliamone
Demi-God

...and my PS3 is backwards compatible...

Old 04-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #30
jm9843
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porceliamone View Post
...and my PS3 is backwards compatible...
But anyone who buys a PS3 today won't have backwards compatibility. Sony, in thier infinite wisdom, has removed backwards compatibility with the current PS3 skus. Xbox 360 has far better bc now.