slash is 1/2 african american

disrespect to rock music?

Old 04-12-2018, 05:14 AM   #152
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I'm also planning on being a tout for other gamblers. I might try and get that worked out before the start of the next NBA season. I don't know anything about setting up an online subscription business or anything. I'll have to hire someone to help me.
LOLOLO

Old 04-12-2018, 05:16 AM   #153
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
rereading what I typed, I was just basically trolling when I said that I thought it would be racist to try and rap...
LOLOLO
you just came up with that
jesus fucking christ

Old 04-12-2018, 06:31 AM   #154
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
I gotta say, I'm a little surprised at how so many people are sticking up for the content in rap music on a The Smashing Pumpkins forum.
It's almost like not everyone on this board is mired in '90s nostalgia.

Or maybe your arguments are so thin that they are too easy to tear apart.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #155
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
I've actually considered the idea of doing podcasts and having local musicians and other artists and public figures on to interview as well as covering sports... Just a bit of everything.

I'm hoping I can sustain and eventually gamble for a living, and then undertake an endeavor like that.
It's good that you have dreams and honestly, I hope you see them come true someday. But I've never known a gambling alcoholic who had his shit together, at least not long-term.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:37 AM   #156
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Remember when Axl Rose sang that song about getting away from "niggers and police"? Such a brilliant band.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #157
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

WHEN IS IT 187 ON A MOTHERFUCKING COP I AIN'T GOT ALL DAY

Old 04-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #158
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

YOU CAN HEAR THE CRICKETS

(CHRICKET)

Old 04-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #159
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
It's almost like not everyone on this board is mired in '90s nostalgia.

Or maybe your arguments are so thin that they are too easy to tear apart.
ur father's butthole is easy to tear apart

Old 04-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #160
FoolofaTook

Old 04-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #161
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
I'm a man of peace.

Reprise specifically, appeared to be very very angry when I pointed out that a lot of criminals were drawn to rap music. Reprise, what exactly do you have to say about this study done by the University of Berkeley? https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5390075
Quote:
Oh Reprise, we're waiting
Quote:
***you can hear the crickets***

The silence is deafening!

Put one up for the Fuzzster
You gave me 20 minutes to answer

I would have to see the actual study, which is not named on that article. See, I don't read clickbait headlines and assume they are telling the entire story. Maybe it is. But I predict a high level of correlation does not equal causation. Care to find and link the actual study to me?

Old 04-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #162
FoolofaTook

inmates eat lots of ramen noodles

think about that!

Old 04-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #163
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Findings of this study, however, should be interpreted with caution. Due to the cross-sectional nature of the data, it is difficult to make causal inferences about the relationships between music listening and substance use and aggression. It is possible that frequent exposure to rap music significantly contributes to positive values towards substance use and violence. It is also possible that individuals who often listen to rap music view substance use and violence more positively prior to listening to this genre of music; music listening thus at most reinforces these values. Alternatively, substance use, aggression, and music listening may be independent constructs but share common “third factors.” Finally, our study sample may not be representative of all community college students because our study focused on students aged 25 or younger attending daytime classes. Neither may our study findings be generalized to college students in general, as a large proportion of our survey sample (62%) was non-white. Nor may the study findings be generalized to young people who do not attend colleges. Studies with longitudinal designs and general population samples are needed to better understand the causal or dynamic relations between music listening and behaviors of substance use and aggression among young people.

May 2006
Quote:
This study has been funded by National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism grant
glad we figured that out.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #164
Elphenor
Braindead

to be fair fuzzy said it seems to attract criminals

not that listening to rap causes criminal behavior

I don't see this as any different than dinosaur guitar bands attracting bohemians in their time and place as well

Old 04-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #165
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

it's probably as a simple as rap listeners are largely black, and black people in the USA are more likely to be arrested and convicted of violent crimes. why they are more likely to be criminals is a huge sociological debate but it certainly has nothing to do with rap music. therefore, this study has nothing to do with fuzzy's argument that rap music itself is associated with violence independent of other factors (e.g. "the white people i know who like rap are mostly criminals")

Old 04-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #166
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
May 2006

glad we figured that out.
fuzzy do you need me to explain this more simply. i'd really like you to understand why this study is so majorly flawed. and it's not just this study - a large amount of psych studies have this same problem, and is why you shouldn't take articles at face value. it's a good starting point to examining a phenomenon because you can say "it seems like the are related in some way, although I can't tell how" but that's all it is.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #167
fuzzyroes
Banned

I realize I was being controversial, but pretty much every lousy criminal that I've come across in life has been a rap fan. Sure, it's a small sample size, but you look at a lot of these white criminals and what do they dress like? It's always more or less a hip-hop kind of fashion sense. I think it's because these low IQ people who think being a criminal is cool can listen to hip-hop and get that kind of life style to be glorified or at the least represented.

I realize nowadays there's "introspective rap" like Kendrick Lamaar and shit, but really, you think of that "thug life" stereotype and where does it stem from? rap music.

For example, I'd bet my life that if you had a concert hall full of say Pavement fans versus a concert hall full of Tech 9 fans that you'd have more criminals at the Tech 9 show.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #168
fuzzyroes
Banned

All of this is either here nor there though. It doesn't really matter. I just find a lot of the most famous rap music to be far too negative for my tastes, and when there's upbeat positive rap it just seems lame.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #169
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Thanks for the explanation, Grunge Guy.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #170
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Sobriety treating you OK?

Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #171
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
As an alcoholic and a fan of Green Day, don't you think it's at least a bit odd to celebrate any supposed link drawn between rap music and substance abuse?

You're just as much an example of a person that's been drawn to the songwriting of a fellow addict.
I don't know that I'm an alcoholic. I've been limiting myself to drinking only 2 days a week, and when I do it's responsibly, and I've been doing a pretty good job at it.

I'm a smart guy. I realize for a long time drinking was an impulsive thing for me, so I have the awareness to nip it in the bud. The problem with a lot of addicts is that they lack personal introspection. I wish it didn't take me so long to see things clearly, as I've wasted a lot of time, but better late than never.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #172
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Sobriety treating you OK?
Yeah, I mean, I'm technically not sober... But I'm not casually drinking by myself anymore. I'll go drinking once or twice a week, and when I do I'm being really cognizant about doing it responsibly.

For example, I went out drinking on the weekend, and when I did, I made sure to only have a few beers beforehand, as opposed to what I'd usually do and get drunk beforehand in an effort to "save money"... Sure, buying drinks at an establishment is a lot more costly, but at least when I do that I'm not shit-faced and out of my mind. Of course buying a few double rum and cokes for 11 bucks a piece is kinda stupid, but better than being off my rocker.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #173
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

All of this introspection, and yet you fail to see a pattern emerging...

Old 04-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #174
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Yeah, I mean, I'm technically not sober... But I'm not casually drinking by myself anymore. I'll go drinking once or twice a week, and when I do I'm being really cognizant about doing it responsibly.

For example, I went out drinking on the weekend, and when I did, I made sure to only have a few beers beforehand, as opposed to what I'd usually do and get drunk beforehand in an effort to "save money"... Sure, buying drinks at an establishment is a lot more costly, but at least when I do that I'm not shit-faced and out of my mind. Of course buying a few double rum and cokes for 11 bucks a piece is kinda stupid, but better than being off my rocker.
If you're not an alcoholic, why the need to pre-drink at all?

Old 04-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #175
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I'm a smart guy.
Quote:
I don't know that I'm an alcoholic.
Okay, buddy.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #176
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

pretty sure my next alt account will be "Rap Guy"

Old 04-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #177
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
it's probably as a simple as rap listeners are largely black, and black people in the USA are more likely to be arrested and convicted of violent crimes. why they are more likely to be criminals is a huge sociological debate but it certainly has nothing to do with rap music. therefore, this study has nothing to do with fuzzy's argument that rap music itself is associated with violence independent of other factors (e.g. "the white people i know who like rap are mostly criminals")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
to be fair fuzzy said it seems to attract criminals

not that listening to rap causes criminal behavior

I don't see this as any different than dinosaur guitar bands attracting bohemians in their time and place as well
music doesn't exist in a vacuum.
it is ultimately a byproduct for different people having different experiences and expressing that thru a creative medium.

rap may factually be more linked to crime, but there's little or no causality involved (or at least, no more than in the case of a death metal listener committing mass homicide). the music may be more inclined towards a particular topic that is non constructive or violent, but it's just because that is what's happening in those people's lives. not everybody gets dealt the same cards and that sucks, but that's a whole other thing.

ultimately we're all juts people and we all eat and breathe and shit the same, and all these distinctions and classifications (like rap = poor black ppl music, shoegaze = sophisticated british elite music) are bullshit and say way more about us than about the art itself.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #178
Elphenor
Braindead

I think hip hop and rock have similar subject matter but one is Blacker and that is why it offends fuzzy

I wanna RocknRoll all night and party everyday

Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 PM   #179
buzzard
Minion of Satan

People that listen to blues are more likely to work in a chain gang at the dawn of the 20th century.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #180
fuzzyroes
Banned

@ Elph: It doesn't offend me, it's just less musical. I've always been a big guitar nut, and I've always been obsessed about how certain instruments blend together. There just isn't much in the way of interesting instrumentation in rap music. It's all vocal driven, and the vocals are often very aggressive.

Or you get the new rap now like Drake and Lil Wayne where it's all auto-tuned to death... I think I actually hate that shit more.

I just think it sucks... No offense to anyone who's inspired by it.