Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #961
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Some lost notices from Billy Corgan's old Facebook site about the last shows in 2000, when the original band broke up:

02/12/2010 (Final Metro Show/old songs Vs. new)
wow...10 years since the 'last' old SP break-up show...how time flies...i'll post some reflections on that show on here later today. hope everyone is having a GREAT day...going to the ocean now to say my prayers and make amends xo
ok...Metro, dec 2, 2000...dusting off my brain now x

first thing that comes to mind is that we only had about 6 days to prepare the about 14 or so extra songs that we added to try to make the show both historic and memorable. normally this much work in such a short time would have been met with resistance, but everyone was in good spirits to have the 11 months of touring finally over
my original plan was to book the metro out for the whole month of January and make one last album, writing songs and recording them live in rehearsal and then playing them at night at the 'shows' can't remember how many shows we would have done per week? maybe 3 or 4. Iha+ Auf Der Maur hated the idea and said no. a shame, could have been amazing. band was tight at that point and i was motivated to write more.
we had the 2nd to last show at The United Center, and we wanted to film that as well. unfortunately the building wanted to charge us (i could be wrong but...) 50,000$ just for the 'right' to film, not counting the actual costs it would have been to film. so there is no video that i know of. if there is it might be a lone camera. that show was amazing, although we were criticized for opening the show acoustic
we had been opening with 5 songs acoustic in Europe as a way to set a different tone because each night the audience was thinking they were seeing the band for the last time. there the audiences went with the somber beginning, and so i stupidly assumed that an American audience would go the same way with it. Wrong! once we finally lit it up with 'glass' theme (song 6) the place went nuts
for the Metro show itself, we found someone to be a clown in between acts, to hold the sign up announcing each of the 3 parts. what most people don't know is that the kid doing it (a total coincidence) was related to Jonathon Melvoin. i found out before the show, but i took it as a sign that his spirit was with us in the building that night so i said i was fine with it.

we played 38 songs i believe, over 4 hours of music. i had never played that long before, nor have i since. i wasn't even sure my voice would hold up that long, but it did. actually it got stronger as the night went on. the first song was 'rocket', which we were supposed to play after the mellon collie theme intro, which was played off a cd. the theme finished, i lit into the opening riff of 'rocket'.
unfortunately, no one turned off the cd, , so as i was playing i heard 'tonight, tonight' come blaring out of the p.a. classic SP fuck-up for trying to be fancy. the show as i remember was fairly good, but incredibly hot and at about 90 min in the crowd was just totally worn out. i thought to myself 'wow, we got a long way to go!'

act 2 honestly felt like a sad funeral, and people started talking. i felt the whole thing slipping away from me, but i realized that it was all part of the journey of death that we were on. life moves on, and when the show was over i too had to move on. i honestly thought that it would be the last time i would play most of these songs, and it felt good to let them go.

act three was designed to bring the energy back up, and it did. the last encore i think was 'silverfuck', which had a lot of improvisation in it. it wasn't all planned out, and i remember thinking of my deceased mother alot. it all came down to 'where was mommy?' in the end of it all, as it begins so does it end. i turned to look at Jimmy and said 'that's it', and it ended without form best as i remember.
i broke down on stage crying but i remember being quite embarassed about it. i've thought about that moment many times, and i wish in hindsight that i'd let myself just have a good cry right then and there, because you won't find yourself in a spot like that many times in your life. after we had a little party, playing dvd bootlegs of the band on a screen on stage.

once it was over, there was a shift, so playing the videos felt like watching a car crash again and again. it was overkill for everyone, including me. pictures and Chopin would have been better. i asked where James was, and someone had said he had left, without saying goodbye to me or Jimmy, a real final fuck you in my eyes. outside of a phone conversation about business in 2001, i haven't seen him since
one more thing: please stop asking about the show ever coming out (i say this good heartedly). it will come out when the time is right. it should have come out in 2001 but EMI squashed it, and we got the rights back. hopefully it will be put out one day when tall he albums get re-issued. it would make sense for it to come out with the Machina era stuff.

i think as more time goes by we all should look at SP as having 2 totally different eras, 'old school' and 'new school' or whatever. call it what you want, the SP of 2005-2010 and counting has been a different animal, albeit with similar goals set in a different world.
'old' SP ended exactly 10 years ago this night, and it a'int ever coming back. from my vantage point, that's a good thing. that band will never sell out and never grow old gracefully (because honestly it couldn't). long live SP 1987-2000 a great fucking band when it was 'on'. and a nightmare when it was 'off'.

thanks for checking out these thoughts/memories, love BC

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 02-04-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #962
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
unfortunately the building wanted to charge us (i could be wrong but...) 50,000$ just for the 'right' to film, not counting the actual costs it would have been to film. so there is no video that i know of.
that's fucking lame. the UC probably filmed a multicam show for the scoreboard anyway

In a way, reading that back, I'm almost glad the metro show never came out. It adds a mystique to the last show that wouldn't be the same if we could all go back and watch it whenever. The badass Fuck You tease was enough

Old 02-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #963
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

ATTENTION MODS: IF YOU DONT BAN RAM27 I WILL CUT MY HAIR

AND BY BAN I MEAN PERMA IP PLZ AND THANK YOU

Old 02-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #964
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Bumping this thread should be a monthly tradition. Just to get people hopeful there's real news for a second, then send them spiraling back down into the black pits of despair.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #965
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Sure

Old 02-05-2017, 06:15 AM   #966
Cool As Ice Cream

i say this good heartedly

Old 02-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #967
FoolofaTook

(he also says this with a tear of joy, brought)

Old 02-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #968
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
that's fucking lame. the UC probably filmed a multicam show for the scoreboard anyway

In a way, reading that back, I'm almost glad the metro show never came out. It adds a mystique to the last show that wouldn't be the same if we could all go back and watch it whenever. The badass Fuck You tease was enough
Obviously the concert at the UNITED CENTER was filmed, shown by an excerpt at this TV-news:

https://youtu.be/fCVLQ9ARPEM?t=1m41s

Billy Corgan doesn't know about this material...?

Old 02-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #969
FoolofaTook

fuck yes it was. i remember watching glass' theme from that show at some point in the dim past.

it killed.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #970
Ram27
dumb

yeah i remember that. it's shot from the side of the stage and I think there is/was a version on youtube with the FM copy synced. was fucking amazing

Old 02-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #971
FoolofaTook

i remember getting wasted (soju and lots of peach juice) on the top of the seventh-day adventist english language institute in daejeon and listening to that show. it was the closest i could get to the last show (the recording on rspaa suxored)

i think that was the night i threw a metal chair to the street below. i was seven stories up. i could of killed someone. next morning i went to get me a kimbab saw that mangled chair and was all like

Old 03-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #972
Cool As Ice Cream

Unhappy

from january 2015:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah Moon View Post
Do we know roughly when this will be released? I can't be bothered to scroll the whole thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
christmas if i were a betting man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
christmas 2017
i don't even believe we'll make my exaggerated estimate.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #973
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 03-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #974
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

That year where I really looked forward to the Machina box's imminent release seems a surreal period now.

Two and a half fucking years since the goddamned Adore box

Old 03-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #975
Unicycle
Pledge

Which record company is it anyway? Virgin?

Old 03-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #976
FoolofaTook

Ur mom is a virgin...

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #977
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

That Adore boxset was so over-stuffed and over-priced, I bet it sold like used urinal cakes and effectively killed off any chance of Machina -- an even lesser loved album -- getting the same treatment.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #978
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
That Adore boxset was so over-stuffed and over-priced, I bet it sold like used urinal cakes and effectively killed off any chance of Machina -- an even lesser loved album -- getting the same treatment.
Agreed. Adore should've been 3 discs. Remaster. Outtakes. Live.

The pricing was too high plus lots of identical versions amongst the bonus material.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #979
Cool As Ice Cream

the more, the better. give machina the same treatment, please.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:57 PM   #980
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Bullshit just steal it from the website dade's still hosting for all us crybabies

Old 03-29-2017, 01:58 PM   #981
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
sold like used urinal cakes
heh

Old 03-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #982
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yeah but like seven versions of Pistol Pete or something and one of them was fucking amazing, rendering the others redundant. Exaggerating obv.

I need to listen to it all again.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:40 PM   #983
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
i agree with this but the adore reissue still sucked.

no satellites???

Old 03-30-2017, 02:34 AM   #984
Cool As Ice Cream

maybe it'll be on the machina reissue?

Old 04-26-2017, 07:52 AM   #985
Cool As Ice Cream

let me just repeat this here...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...album-20110426

Quote:
Smashing Pumpkins Announce Reissues, New Album
Band will roll out expanded, remastered versions of their albums over the next three years
By Matthew Perpetua April 26, 2011

The Smashing Pumpkins have announced plans to roll out a campaign of remastered reissues of their back catalog over the course of the next three years. The first wave of the Pumpkins' ambitious reissue plan will begin in the fall, when the band's first two albums, Gish and Siamese Dream, arrive in stores along with their 1994 compilation set, Pisces Iscariot. Each album will come packaged with bonus material, though nothing specific has been announced. (Frontman Billy Corgan did mention on Twitter recently that he had unearthed tapes of their first live performance of "Starla" and a version of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" recorded in the studio during the making of Siamese Dream, which should give fans some idea of what to expect in terms of unreleased tracks.)

The second wave of releases, which is scheduled for 2012, will ******* the Pumpkins' 1995 double album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, the five-disc rarities set The Aeroplane Flies High, and the 1998 goth-electronica record Adore. In 2013, the band will merge Machina/The Machines of God and Machina II: The Friends and Enemies of Modern Music into one package. This will be the first time Machina II will be released commercially in its entirety – the four-disc set was originally made available for free online. A new hits disc is also planned for sometime in 2013.

The Smashing Pumpkins have also announced plans to release Oceania, "an album within an album," as part of the band's ongoing 44-song epic Teargarden by Kaleidyscope. The 10-song set, which will not ******* any of the songs already released as part of the project, is currently scheduled to come out in September. A new song, "Owata," will be released for free online next week before the band hits the studio to record the Oceania material.

Release Announced release date Actual release date
Gish reissue Fall 2011 November 2011
Siamese Dream reissue Fall 2011 November 2011
Pisces Iscariot reissue Fall 2011 July 2012
MCIS reissue 2012 December 2012
TAFH reissue 2012 July 2013
Adore reissue 2012 September 2014
Machinas reissue 2013 ?
New greatest hits 2013 ?
Oceania September 2011 June 2012

Old 06-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #986
SP MediaMilitia
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
Machina and Rarities and B-sides are now on Spotify
Link? All I see is the original album

Old 06-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #987
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP MediaMilitia View Post
Link? All I see is the original album
oh hey. How is life post sp. Do you look back and go 'thank fuck i don't have to deal with that anymore'?

Old 06-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #988
Ram27
dumb

Old 06-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #989
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
let me just repeat this here...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...album-20110426

Release Announced release date Actual release date
Gish reissue Fall 2011 November 2011
Siamese Dream reissue Fall 2011 November 2011
Pisces Iscariot reissue Fall 2011 July 2012
MCIS reissue 2012 December 2012
TAFH reissue 2012 July 2013
Adore reissue 2012 September 2014
Machinas reissue 2013 ?
New greatest hits 2013 ?
Oceania September 2011 June 2012
Don't forget the Pre-Pumpkins collection.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #990
MisterLove
Pledge

Quote:
Crazy that Gish and Siamese Dream were only 2 CD + 1DVD each and adore was 6CD+DVD.

Not that I'm complaining about how full of content the later reissues were, but damn if we never the pre-Gish stuff it'll be a shame he didn't just load the Gish release with them. Or at least a full CD dedicated to it. SD likewise deserved more. The live stuff might not have been available in the same quality as we saw on the MCIS or Adore era, but at least for the SD reissue I was hoping for more from the tapes used to make Earphoria. (i.e. the Astoria show or the Atlanta show).