Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2002, 06:03 AM   #1
Ugly

Talking wow, and I thought I was a geek.

this is the best review I have ever read of Star Trek: Nemesis. Its on a website some very, very lonely man started to SAVE STAR TREK after seeing the film.

Its great how there's a warning that says: This is a very long and harsh review. Please take the time to actually read it (if you are interested in an educated review of this movie)

http://sttlc.tripod.com/savetrek/id28.htm

I saw Nemesis on opening night, and was there merely to watch the movie with the hopes of enjoying the last TNG episode ever. I had high hopes, but not so high that I was determined not to accept a few mistakes. I fully expected to walk out of the movie so happy with the TNG crew's final voyage together that I would be crying. I ended up crying, but not because I was happy. I walked out of this movie, in total shock. One, because one of our crew had died -- two because, for everything that Paramount promised this movie to be ("A Generations Final Journey") -- it turned out to be nothing of what they said it would be. I was disappointed, shocked, upset, hurt, dismayed... That mentality that I left the theater with was a form of emotional shock, which I carried around for three days. Not knowing what to say or think about the outcome of the movie, I simply retreated into a sense of quiet, contemplative anguish.

Three days later, when I finally came out of it, I had to break down and cry to finally realize why I was so depressed and upset about this flick. After a good few hours of this, my mind began to form a determination that I had never known before. . .

hahahah! wow. Ka'PLAH, dude!

Old 12-21-2002, 06:07 AM   #2
Mason R Butler
walks among us

I'm responding so this thread doesn't look as pathetic as the South Park/truth one did.
Ventolinn signed off at 11:21:50 PM.

Old 12-21-2002, 06:14 AM   #3
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Re: wow, and I thought I was a geek.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ugly
... That mentality that I left the theater with was a form of emotional shock, which I carried around for three days. Not knowing what to say or think about the outcome of the movie, I simply retreated into a sense of quiet, contemplative anguish.

Three days later, when I finally came out of it, I had to break down and cry to finally realize why I was so depressed and upset about this flick. After a good few hours of this...
christ. its a MOVIE

Old 12-21-2002, 06:22 AM   #4
Ugly

Talking

wow. just, wow.

imagine if one day, you're entire family is killed in a train wreck because someone decided to take a leak on the railroad tracks. It's stupid, senseless... And you've just lost a major part of your life. That's how it feels to those of us who are the avid fans.

does anyone see anything wrong here? IT IS LIKE A CARBON COPY OF STAR WARS SPECIAL EFFECTS, right down to the sound effects of the shuttles as they pass by!!!! There is nothing wrong with be a Star Trek fan AND a Star Wars fan, but when we come to see a Trek movie, we don't want to see Wars!

Remembering from the series -- Romulan Ale is a translucent blue color! Whereas, every glass on Worf's table is filled with the brandy colored liquid reminiscent of champagne! This is a continuity mistake that jumped out at me immediately.

Why does Paramount think they have to "pour" it on for us? To set a "dark" mood for the movie -- I think not. That's like if a white man suddenly became black one day -- just doesn't happen!

Again we run into the problem mentioned in the very first scene -- the Star Wars effects. If you listen closely (and not let yourself be absorbed into the action) the gun on the back of the Argo (which Worf is manning) sounds EXACTLY like the guns we see on any Star Wars film! NOTE TO PARAMOUNT: THIS IS NOT STAR WARS! THIS IS STAR TREK! GET IT RIGHT!

It would indicate that the Enterprise-E had almost 48 decks! Yet another continuity problem. This is making me sick by this point.

I can't believe that Riker would not remember the song that Data was whistling when he first met him on the holodeck. "Pop Goes the Weasel" -- dumbo... There have been MANY, MANY mentions of that song (in that particular first meeting) made between the characters throughout it's entire run (both movies and the TV series). So why, all of a sudden, would he forget? OUT OF CHARACTER!

Old 12-21-2002, 06:30 AM   #5
Ugly

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Music
I'm responding so this thread doesn't look as pathetic as the South Park/truth one did.
nah, that thread deserved to die cuz if you think about it it was just an disgusted pitty-party post and nobody on nethporia cares enough to respond to that. which is probably what it deserved.

I just find geek-ranting funny.

Old 12-21-2002, 10:16 AM   #6
strange_one
No Chance

Talking

I actually read the whole thing, hilarious

Old 12-21-2002, 01:52 PM   #7
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Talking Re: wow, and I thought I was a geek.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ugly
hahahah! wow. Ka'PLAH, dude!
I don't know what that means, but it sounds funny

Old 12-21-2002, 08:33 PM   #8
Ghetto_Squirrel
Minion of Satan

Unhappy

["that's sad" kitten here]

Old 12-21-2002, 08:56 PM   #9
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

We Deserve Better!
-- by: Mark Sickle (trek_writer)

I saw Nemesis on opening night, and was there merely to watch the movie with the hopes of enjoying the last TNG episode ever. I had high hopes, but not so high that I was determined not to accept a few mistakes. I fully expected to walk out of the movie so happy with the TNG crew's final voyage together that I would be crying. I ended up crying, but not because I was happy. I walked out of this movie, in total shock. One, because one of our crew had died -- two because, for everything that Paramount promised this movie to be ("A Generations Final Journey") -- it turned out to be nothing of what they said it would be. I was disappointed, shocked, upset, hurt, dismayed... That mentality that I left the theater with was a form of emotional shock, which I carried around for three days. Not knowing what to say or think about the outcome of the movie, I simply retreated into a sense of quiet, contemplative anguish.

Three days later, when I finally came out of it, I had to break down and cry to finally realize why I was so depressed and upset about this flick. After a good few hours of this, my mind began to form a determination that I had never known before. It was as if this movie not only upset and hurt me, but made me angry at how it ended. Angry enough to want to do something about it (hence the campaign).

A few people that I saw online while promoting the campaign said they didn't understand why everyone was so upset -- they loved Nemesis. Well as happy as I am for them (and I really am. I am glad that at least someone can walk away from this with a smile), I wanted to show them all things that I could come up with that were wrong. Alot of other fans agree with me, too, so maybe we can all back each other up and make it easier to understand why the movie was so bad. To that end, I went to see Nemesis again last night -- not to enjoy it, but to take notes for my review.

Now before I actually begin with the review, I would like to say something to those people who don't believe that the disappointed fans out there are true Trek fans. I see notes posted on the internet by people who loved the movie (fewer than anything else, by the way) that have been attacking the fans who did not like the movie. They have attacked this campaign, saying that we are "Trek Haters". For these people, I'd like to make my comments as thus:

Let's define what a fan really is -- in the Webster's dictionary, one definition of a "fan" is an "enthusiastic supporter or follower of a particular genre..." I have noticed that there are two kinds of "fans" when it comes to Star Trek. First, you have the passive fans -- people who like to sit and watch the TV series and movies (occasionally). Maybe they pick up a Trek book once in a while, but their life does not demand more of Trek than as a simple form of entertainment. The other type of Trek fan is your avid, supportive fans. They are the ones who watch the series all the time, voice their opinions openly to others about their fascination with Trek, read books, write books, go see the movies severas times... At times they can be almost religious about their connection and interest with Star Trek. There is a huge difference between the two types of Trek fans.

When Gene Roddenberry sat down in 1968 to begin writing out his idea's for Star Trek, his motivations for doing this series ran deeper than anything the normal fan can imagine. Gene was not out to make a quick buck -- he wanted to make a statement. He wanted people to know that there was something better out there... Remember, that at the time, the Vietname War was in full swing -- the Cold War was also well underway -- there had been lots of tension between the US, Cuba, Russia, China, and almost all of that had to do with the worries of nuclear weaponry. Then there was the space race between the US and Russia, each of which was not only trying to achieve spaceflight but also a foothold into orbit for the upper hand should a nuclear war ever happen.

Gene infused his deep moralistic thoughts into Trek, to show people that there was something better on the horizon. Sure, it's science fiction -- but he wanted people to feel assured that peace and unity between all living things was possible. He wanted to show people the possibilities of a beautiful future for mankind. There was so much more to it than that, but he made people stand up and be proud of who they were, and want to work out their differences. He inspired imaginations and creativity in hundreds of thousands of people.

Now, going back to the two types of fans -- the first type of fan (passive), never quite got the memo on Gene's idea's. Either that or they simply just don't want to look any deeper into what they see on TV than it's face value. The second type of fan (avid) -- they find it easy to grasp what Gene had meant to say -- they understood the statement he was trying to make. And it made those fans better people. Having now been a huge part of our culture now for just over 35 years, Trek has become a part of the avid fans life. The characters they followed on the series became extensions of their own family. When Spock died -- the avid fan cried and shouted out for him to be saved again. When Kirk fell off a mountain, the fan cringed in the fear that he would die (although we all knew he wouldn't). When Data couldn't quite get the whistling tune down in TNG's first episode, we laughed. We hated the Borg, felt sorrow for the crewman assimiliated or killed, watched as Wesley grew up.
Anyways, the avid fan has taken more than just a sideways glance at Trek and has seen more to it than just a TV show. And so, for those of us who are upset, that would be a good indication why -- it is apparent to the avid fan that the Trek that they have been following for 35 years is now on the decline. It's quality is rapidly drying up, it's quantity disappearing, the characters are becoming drab... It has been a large part of ourselves and our culture, and now all of a sudden it's flying out the window.

Now for those who don't understand (the passive fan), I make the comparison like this: imagine if one day, you're entire family is killed in a train wreck because someone decided to take a leak on the railroad tracks. It's stupid, senseless... And you've just lost a major part of your life. That's how it feels to those of us who are the avid fans.

This review is very detailed, and at times delves into the "technical" side of TNG and Trek that would make a passive fan (or non-fan) think that I am nothing more than a geek. Well, so be it. I think that I am passionate about Trek and TNG, and therefore am a connoisseur. Just like a wine connoisseur would be able to taste the difference in two different wines blind folded, the avid fan can see these minute "technical" difference in the movie. I will begin the review and reveal each thing I saw wrong, scene by scene.

-- OPENING SCENE (Romulus)

From the very beginning of the movie, not fifteen seconds after the NEMESIS logo disappears, we begin to see problems. The special effects team show two planets, then focus in on one. Then we are "zoomed" in through the clouds of one planet, to finally reveal a cityscape. The architecture, the shuttles passing by the lower right screen, then the subtitle establishing the setting -- "Romulan Senate". Not a bad sequence in itself, but does anyone see anything wrong here? IT IS LIKE A CARBON COPY OF STAR WARS SPECIAL EFFECTS, right down to the sound effects of the shuttles as they pass by!!!! Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of great special effects, but not like this. There is nothing wrong with be a Star Trek fan AND a Star Wars fan, but when we come to see a Trek movie, we don't want to see Wars!
What's up with the newly designed Romulans? We see that their foreheads are angled up higher, their eyebrows and ears are definitely more pronounced... Their makeup is thicker and darker. I understood from the get go that this movie was supposed to be a "dark" toned flick, meaning that it's undertones was supposed to be threatening and evil... But come on -- the Romulans we've seen in the past were not like this (close, but not like this.) I guess we can just chalk this one up to being the same as the redesigned Klingons that made their first appearance in ST: The Motion Picture.

-- The Wedding Reception Scene

Okay, there are four problems with this scene. Two of which are with characters that we see present at the reception. At the reception table, we see Wesley Crusher on the very left side of the table (on the peripheral of the screen). Not so much a problem -- I loved Wesley. But why is he in Starfleet Uniform? And why does he have the rank pips of a Lieutenant? The last time we saw him was in the seventh season of TNG when he RESIGNED his commission from Starfleet to go with the Traveler (Erick Menyuk). That means he is no longer a part of Starfleet. So why is he back, and with a promotion to boot? This could easily have been explained had the writers put in a note that he possibly returned from his Traveler's days to become part of Starfleet again -- but they didn't. This is an inconsistency which startled and angered me. Also, in the crowd, we see another familiar face which shouldn't be there -- the former Ensign Ro Laren! Ro also left Starfleet in the seventh season of TNG, but she resigned to go fight with the Maquis. She was also in uniform! Do we expect to believe that Starfleet accepted her back into their ranks after she so boldly abandoned the Federation? To help fight a war with renegades against Starfleet and the Cardassians?! Come on!
What's with the (mountain?) back ground that we see behind the reception table. You can tell that it is fake! It was either a painted backdrop or a cardboard picture, or something -- whatever it was it made me believe that this movie only had a production budget of 5 dollars! I mean come on, with such great special effects crews, why couldn't they come up with something a little better than that?
Worf is hung over, and he makes mention that he has been drinking Romulan Ale. ONLY, every single glass at the table in front of him (even his own glass) is not filled with Romulan Ale. Remembering from the series (as well as the dinner scene with Shinzon and Picard, where the popular Romulan concoction is served) -- Romulan Ale is a translucent blue color! Whereas, every glass on Worf's table is filled with the brandy colored liquid reminiscent of champagne! This is a continuity mistake that jumped out at me immediately.

-- Detecting positronic signal on bridge

I'll be honest, I couldn't find anything wrong with this scene.

-- Desert/Argo Scene

By now we should have noticed Worf's makeup job. Similiar to the Romulans I mentioned earlier -- his makeup is much thicker this time, and VERY dark. Why does Paramount think they have to "pour" it on for us? To set a "dark" mood for the movie -- I think not. That's like if a white man suddenly became black one day -- just doesn't happen! I thought at first that it might have been just the lighting, but even in scenes where they are on the planet (where it's very bright) you can just tell.
Why is it that they detect six different positronic signals from the planet. All throughout the series run on TV, Data described in detail how his positronics makeup works. The positronic matrix is located in his head -- similiar to a brain. The rest of his body only contains memory modules, artificial organs, and circuitry designed to mobilize the android's limbs. But all of a sudden, Stuart Baird wants to have positronic signals coming from every single portion of the newly found androids body (which is supposed to be EXACTLY the same as Data's, except not as sophisticated).
On the bridge, prior to the away team leaving, Data explains that the planet's population is "a pre-warp society at an early stage of industrial development" (that's an exact quote). How is that possible? The definition of "early stage of..." means that they are JUST starting out with their industrial development. They seemed pretty advanced to me... I mean, maybe they don't have warp drive, but they have some pretty sophisticated ground vehicles and weaponry.
Why is it that when they found all the separate pieces of B-4, that they were still moving? The arm for example -- the fingers kept flexing. The "brain" piece of the android is in the head, and without the circuits being connected, it shouldn't be able to move. There is nothing to control it! Here's a good example to illustrate -- during the series, Data removed his lower arm at one time ("The Measure of a Man") -- immediately after detaching his arm, the fingers went dead. They stopped moving. It should have been the same for B-4.
When the away team went to pick up the final piece of B-4 (the head) they all clambered out of the Argo and immediately Worf and Picard pull out phasers and begin to scan the horizon. WHY? In the scene just prior, we hear Picard say "This doesn't feel right?" WHY AGAIN? Since they arrived on the planet, there was no sign of anything out there. No people, no animals, no sounds -- nothing. Why all of a sudden did it become suspicious? Of course, it set them up to run right into the action scene where they're being chased, but it still does not make any sense.
Not to mention the fact that there is no reason why were they attacking the away team. If B-4 was intentionally left there by Shinzon for Picard to find (in an attempt to lure him to Romulus), wouldn't he have chosen a planet on which Picard wouldn't be killed trying to retrieve it? That would have shot Shinzon's plan all to hell (pardon the french).
Again we run into the problem mentioned in the very first scene -- the Star Wars effects. If you listen closely (and not let yourself be absorbed into the action) the gun on the back of the Argo (which Worf is manning) sounds EXACTLY like the guns we see on any Star Wars film! NOTE TO PARAMOUNT: THIS IS NOT STAR WARS! THIS IS STAR TREK! GET IT RIGHT!

-- Admiral Janeway's communication with Picard

I'm not going to pick on the fact that Janeway made Admiral. I can see how it is entirely possible that she was offered promotion after she returned from the Delta Quadrant. What I am concerned with is this -- she mentions that the Romulans have invited the Federation to send an envoy to Romulus to open peace talks. Okay, no problem. They did not request Picard by name, he had just been dubbed by Starfleet since he was the closest ship. Now how is that possible -- Shinzon's whole plan was to get Picard himself to Romulus (especially as was established with the bait -- B-4). So, what if the Enterprise wasn't the closest ship to Romulus? Would Picard have still been given the assignment? I doubt it, which means that Shinzon would have been sol. It could be surmised that B-4 was intentionally placed that close to the neutral zone to lure Picard close enough so that he WAS the closest ship. I doubt it though, because Picard said earlier that the planet was "well within the Federation boundary." Do you mean for me to believe that there are NO OTHER SHIPS ANYWHERE in the area?

-- Briefing with the Crew about mission

While discussing the mission to Romulus, Data is asked what Starfleet Intelligence knew about Shinzon. Data responded that Starfleet had come up with at least a partial report of Shinzon's military command history during the Dominion War. Wait a minute -- later on, Shinzon himself reveals that he had been in a dilithum mining facility deep underground as a slave for at ten years until just recently! This movie is supposed to take place after Voyager returns home, which would place it about six years after the Dominion War ended. How could he have beena prominent military commander during the War when he was supposed to be a slave hidden away in a mining colony at the same time??? And how many people do you think would take a slave and make him a commander during a war? Okay, so the Intelligence records that Starfleet had could have been falsified (maybe by Shinzon himself)... Come on though!

-- Downloading Memory Engrams from Data to B-4

When Geordi disconnects the cable from Data's head and says that the "operation" is complete, we see the exposed circuitry in the back of Data's head. Then a small door (complete with hair) slides down in place over the exposed area -- WHAT? All throughout the series, we saw that the entries into Data's head were with little doors that swung open, not slid into and out of place. The top portion of Data's head is removable, and the access door on the back side of his head swings open -- not slides! What happened, did Data get an upgrade of some sort? Don't know how, though, since Dr. Soong is dead, his research gone, and the only two living examples of his work is Data and Lore, prior to meeting B-4 of course, (Lore having been deactivated and no longer a feasibility). Did Data upgrade himself? That's wierd...
This scene also begins a problem which will span the rest of the movie and makes the entire plot seem stupid and more like a blooper than a design -- but you have to look really close. Data points out to Geordi the small blue panel on the back of B-4's neck (one complete with three blinking little lights that automatically stand out to us when it's pointed out (one which you would agree would be hard to not see after that given it's bright blinking and the fact that we've never seen Data, or a Data look-alike, have). It seems out of place, but they explained it well -- it was a redundant data storage outlet. Okay. Not more than a few seconds later, as Data is leaving, B-4 stands out up of his chair to follow. The camera switches to a view looking at Data from behind B-4. But wait a minute -- where's that funny blinking panel on B-4's neck, which we just saw seconds earlier? It's not there! You will see this happen many times over, and even switches back and forth between Data and B-4. I'll show you later.

-- Meeting Shinzon for the First Time on Romulus

One thing that really struck me as odd -- although the Enteprise is on a diplomatic mission to Romulus (an empire which has been a major enemy for centuries), ALL COMMAND OFFICERS (save for Beverly Crusher) are on the away team! We see Picard, Data, Troi, Riker, Geordi, and Worf. Who's in command? Do you mean for us to believe that Doctor Crusher (who is a command level officer, but with NO experience as a bridge commander) was left in charge of the ship, deep in enemy territory, when the possibility runs high they may be attacked? Come on -- major blunder right there! They have said over and over again, that if the captain isn't in command, the first officer is (RIKER). If the first officer isn't, then the second officer is (DATA). And if none of those three are, someone can be left in command, but only if there is no immediate danger to ship and crew. Did Paramount simply forget that? I think Stuart Baird did...
When Shinzon is talking to them, and he begins reciting Troi's record -- he says that she is a telepath and an empath... Okay, when for 15 years, we have been told (even by Troi herself) that she is only half Betazed, and as such does not have telepathic abilities. She only has empathic. What's the difference? Remember she explains all along that telepathic is a fully capable empath, completely skilled at both projecting thoughts as well as reading thoughts. An empath is only capable of sensing emotions -- not thoughts. Did Troi suddenly regain her ability to be telepathic? Nope. It was another mistake made by Stuart Baird......

-- Analyzing Picard's blood in Sickbay (from Shinzon's knife)

Beverly explains to us that the blood is exactly the same as Picards, right down to his "agressive" form of shalaff syndrome. Okay -- two things here -- the syndrome hit Picard at a very early age, and since Shinzon also has it, it is reasonable to assume that the clone was made before the syndrome affected Picard. At that point, Picard was a youngster growing up on Earth -- how did his DNA at such an early age come into the hands of Romulans? This, at a point when the Romulans had not been in contact with the Federation for decades? (Remember that the Romulans fought a war with the Federation before Kirk's time, and when they lost, they went into isolation. They didn't make contact again with the Federation until the end of TNG's first season in the episode "The Neutral Zone".) So you expect us to believe that the Romulans, have not spoken to us in dozens of years, send an undercover agent to Earth, to steal Picards DNA (as child) so that they can clone him and use him for alterior motives against the Federation thirty years into the future?! A littel farfetched and hard to swallow, isn't it? If I'm wrong, and they got his DNA later in life, after the syndrome had already affected him, couldn't they have simply removed that part of his DNA for the clone?

-- B-4 Hacking into computers to steal information

Okay, we've established that B-4 is a dumbed down clone of Data. The memory engram transfer didn't work -- he is still as slow and dumb as before. Also, he does not nearly have the capabilities to act as Data did. So why is it when B-4 suddenly switches on, moves over to the work station, and begins accessing all the information for Shinzon? Watch his fingers and the information scrolling by on the screen. He's suddenly moving with the same speed and accuracy as the ten-times-more-advanced-Data! This sudden action lasts only as long as the scene, after which B-4 returns to his normal "dumb" state. Kinda wierd? It's like programming an Atari game system to suddenly run a Windows NT program for a few minutes, and then deleting it all of a sudden. Impossible, isn't it?

-- Picard's dinner with Shinzon

Okay, we've already talked about Shinzon's apparent, but impossible war record. Let's delve into this one deeper. In this scene, Shinzon explains how he came about as Picards' clone. Shinzon was sent to the dilithium mines as a slave at a "very early age", and we see a 'flashback'. He's a kid when he gets there, maybe 8 or 9 years old is my guess. Shinzon also tells us that he was only saved from the syndrome when he saw a doctor that knew Terran illnesses. How would he even be able to get this medical attention? Shinzon himself tells us that he spent his entire life in the mines up until recently, hated by the guards. If the guards knew he was dying, and hated him that bad, why would they let a doctor come in and give medical attention to a slave they despised? Now, of course we know that Shinzon was lying about the doctor, because later on, we find out that he wasn't cured by any doctor in the first place -- his illness is killing him now!
If Shinzon was a slave up until recently, where (and how) did he get the resources and support to build a massive ship like the Scimitar? Even though we know already that Remus not only mines dilithium but has massive weapons construction facilities, a ship that large had to have been constructed in orbit, and not on the ground. Also, to design a weapon as intricate as the thetaron super-weapon, don't you think that someone would have to be very educated to do that? I don't believe that Einstein would have been able to devise the nuclear bomb without some awesome education. Plus, a ship that large and intricate had to take years to build, and yet Shinzon still maintains that he had been a slave until very recently!

-- Picard and Beverly talking, Picture of Young Picard

In the TNG Episode "Tapestry" we see a clear picture of Picard as a youth in the Academy. Why does the picture he holds up in the movie look NOTHING like what we saw in the episode? Both images were of him at the Academy, but they looking nothing alike. Granted, the picture in the movie may have been an earlier pic (when he first went into the Academy), when the illness was still bothering him. Even so, what's with the hair loss? And sudden regrowth by the time he graduates? Also, we go back to the earlier problem of -- the disease affected him when he was a very young boy -- surely not by the time he was old enough to go into the Academy!

-- Picard Captured by Shinzon, B-4(?) delivers stolen info

We know that Data and Geordi have discovered that B-4 was the one who hacked into the computers, and so they decide to use that for a tactical advantage -- without saying how. Later, when Picard is beamed off and captured by Shinzon, and the B-4 clone is present on the Scimitar to download it's stolen information. When B-4 first beams to the Scimitar we see the data port with the blinking lights on the back of his neck, and then he is led off to complete the download. Later, as B-4 (Data) is rescuing Picard from his restraints, we get a tiny wink from B-4 (obviously Data in disguise) -- and we get a clear image of the back of Data's neck -- the data port is suddenly gone again! Okay, number one... Why would Data have that there in the first place (when he first beamed over as B-4)? Did he suddenly get another upgrade? Granted, it could have been removed from B-4 for Data to use on this undercover mission. But it had to be a functioning unit so that Shinzon could properly download the information he had "stolen". But earlier, Data mentioned to Geordi that he had no circuitry there and didn't know what it was! So did Geordi remove the unit from B-4 to temporarily install in Data and do some major circuit work so that it would work for the download? And then did Data remove it himself after the download while on the Scimitar before rescuing Picard! Come on!
As the alarms sound, Data and Picard begin a mad dash through the hallways with an ensuing firefight, a scrambled attempt to open the shuttlebay door, and then they fly the fighter through the hallways to return to the Enterprise. Sound familiar? It should -- STAR WARS ALL OVER AGAIN!!! Why was Data so slow about trying to access the shuttlebay door anyways -- he's fifty billion times faster than anything. I realize Reman is a hard language to understand, but he should have been able to do it very quickly (and his fingers should have been flying). Instead, he's taking his time and trying to have an intelligent conversation with Picard over his shoulder, who at that moment seemed like he was fighting with his life to defend the two of them! THIS IS DEFINITELY OUT OF CHARACTER FOR BOTH OF THEM!!!!!
Listen to the weapons (all through out the movie, both the Reman disruptors and our own phasers). THEY STILL SOUND LIKE STAR WARS BLASTERS! And while we're on it, what happened to our phasers anyways? They have always been (ever since TOS) constant red beams with a red coloration that sounded like a phaser. That's the one thing that has always set us apart from other weapons... Now all of a sudden, they are some sort of blue pulsing weapon that shoots more like a gun than enything. The phasers in Nemesis were no different than the Reman weapons used, except to say that the Remans had an odd sickle'shaped knife-like bayonet affixed to theirs.

-- Enterprise Leaving Romulus and entering warp

I noticed this a few times in the movie, but stood out most here -- watch as the Enterprise disappears into warp. There is an odd (and never before seen) trail of (smoke?) that comes out of the nacelles when she engages the engines. What the heck is that?

Now, by now you're thinking "Geesh! How much can this guy find wrong with one movie!" It gets worse. At this point I would like to give you the opportunity to stop reading this review (if you are disgusted with what I've said so far) and return to the Home Page, or you can continue reading the rest of the review.