Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2020, 11:48 PM   #91
Ram27
dumb

, this but it's not even okay. okay is way too generous

Old 11-25-2020, 02:04 AM   #92
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post

But all in all i dig this shit so far.... i tell ya guys ... it has a good flow so far....
Like a stream of piss hitting your face... good flow...

Old 11-25-2020, 05:23 AM   #93
slippedonshoe
Pledge

I wonder how many people are gonna get into the SP after listening to Cyr.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:11 AM   #94
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Dozens !

Old 11-25-2020, 06:43 AM   #95
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

"an underwhelming misadventure" - Mojo

Old 11-25-2020, 07:04 AM   #96
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Because it's not a guitar album, Billy can forever excuse the bad / middling reviews it is getting. He can say that reviewers were never going to like it for what it was. He can later say it was an experiment which didn't land.

If he had made a bad guitar album it would've been different. That's his stock in trade. I think at this stage he's too scared to make a guitar album, as if he did and it got slated, he'd be finished. He'd have nowhere to go.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #97
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Yep, he does this every new release without fail.

Brothaipisscoker did that..but it changed. It is so bad and weird that i started to dig ig because it is really funny. It is trash but this trash i like...

Old 11-25-2020, 07:17 AM   #98
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Now i get pissed on cause i say i dig barcy's new shit??
Lol.... gimme a break

Old 11-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #99
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Because it's not a guitar album, Billy can forever excuse the bad / middling reviews it is getting. He can say that reviewers were never going to like it for what it was. He can later say it was an experiment which didn't land.

If he had made a bad guitar album it would've been different. That's his stock in trade. I think at this stage he's too scared to make a guitar album, as if he did and it got slated, he'd be finished. He'd have nowhere to go.
Zeitgeist, Oceania, MTAE and Shiny And Oh So Bright Volume 1: No Past No Future No Sun were guitar albums.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #100
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:

I mean, SosB Vol. 1 was a guitar album and it was one of the weakest SP releases up to that point. It somehow seemed to get fair to middling reviews though.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #101
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

And he's got 3 guitar albums in the oven

Old 11-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #102
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I dunno if it's because Sumerian doesn't have much klout with print media, but both Mojo and Uncut reviews are very short and relatively low profile in amongst the other releases.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #103
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
And he's got 3 guitar albums in the oven
They're not guitar albums, they're VOCALS UP!

Old 11-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #104
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
Zeitgeist, Oceania, MTAE and Shiny And Oh So Bright Volume 1: No Past No Future No Sun were guitar albums.
Eh, I know they are guitar albums. And they weren't well reviewed. Oceania might've picked up some half decent reviews, but the last two didn't.

And that's the point - this isn't a guitar album, so Bill can excuse the bad reviews *because* it's not a guitar album.

Even since these tracks came out I had a suspicion that he was making a synth record so as to avoid any kind of comparison with his earlier work, cos he knows there's no way he can compete with it.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #105
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

NME 3 out of 5
https://www.nme.com/reviews/the-smas...cyr-review&amp

Old 11-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #106
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
“I got sick of making music that people kept telling me didn’t sound contemporary"

No people were saying this. Yet again, framing himself as rebelling against a non-existent authority / adversary.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #107
slayed23
Ownz

I think the album from the songs I have heard is decent. The style is not something I normally would like but Billy makes it work. Any other musician and I never would have even listened to this a 2nd time. I do wish the songs were a bit longer and had more intros or bridges, solos, outros. Anything to add layers would help.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #108
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
the only thing i hate more than this record is the fucking sycophants on his insta going 'look at my toddler dancing to SEEYR'

i wanna throw up. it's just so depressing and gross and bad and ughhhh
How does Billy force you to read his instagram account? When is your mandatory login? In the morning or at night?

Old 11-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #109
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

But what the hell is "contemporary"? That used to mean something like easy listening back in the 80s, "adult contemporary".

But in 2020 contemporary music could be EDM or lofi acoustic or triphop or shoegaze or pop or r&b. Or fuzzy guitar rock. It can be whatever you want it to be, once it's made now.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #110
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I told yous he's trying to make a Puscifer / Drab Majestic album

Old 11-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #111
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
damn! I'm shocked it got 3 stars. Can't imagine it going above 2 stars.

"“I got sick of making music that people kept telling me didn’t sound contemporary,” a frustrated Billy Corgan bemoaned to NME in a recent (and forthcoming) interview about the band’s 11th studio album ‘CYR’. “So I took that on I was like, ‘OK I’m gonna make a contemporary music record; I don’t care what it takes’.”"

Old 11-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #112
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
But what the hell is "contemporary"? That used to mean something like easy listening back in the 80s, "adult contemporary".

But in 2020 contemporary music could be EDM or lofi acoustic or triphop or shoegaze or pop or r&b. Or fuzzy guitar rock. It can be whatever you want it to be, once it's made now.
Contemporary would be like stuff appearing on the front of Stereogum.. and hip hop and indie artists misspelling words like Starrrrcraft and Wyytchh

Old 11-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #113
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Vocals Up! is a digital hardcore band from Missou, Idaho.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #114
dustrocck
Demi-God

I'll always check out new SP music at this point in my life. I did it for REM with diminishing returns until the very end. I still do it for Pearl Jam and Pixies. I guess I stopped with bands like U2 and Weezer, though I never liked them as much.

But I'm no longer inclined to listen to something over and over again to try to wrap my head around it, I've got other music I can listen to in 2020 that I can enjoy.

I liked songs on Oceania, Monuments and even Shiny 1 that I won't skip over when they come on shuffle, though I rarely purposely seek them out.

This might go down as the first Pumpkins release where there's no single song that I actually enjoy.

That's sad.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #115
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrocck View Post
I'll always check out new SP music at this point in my life. I did it for REM with diminishing returns until the very end. I still do it for Pearl Jam and Pixies. I guess I stopped with bands like U2 and Weezer, though I never liked them as much.

But I'm no longer inclined to listen to something over and over again to try to wrap my head around it, I've got other music I can listen to in 2020 that I can enjoy.

I liked songs on Oceania, Monuments and even Shiny 1 that I won't skip over when they come on shuffle, though I rarely purposely seek them out.

This might go down as the first Pumpkins release where there's no single song that I actually enjoy.

That's sad.
I'm in the exact same boat. I have a playlist of 20+ albums from this year that are amazing. It's not my job to 'force' myself to try to like something that obviously sounds like shit and is not even enjoyable to listen to and doesn't spark anything in me as is the case with all the songs from Cyr. Yeah, SP was my favorite band. and I'm still hoping there might be 1 hidden gem on the album.. but I believe it's probably a false hope. That's sad.. I mean, Oceania was enjoyable to listen to even it wasn't as good as the old stuff, of course.. and Monuments had a couple of memorable and good songs on it.. but jeez this fucking Cyr shit and also the Shiny shit is a massive turn to the worst.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #116
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
damn! I'm shocked it got 3 stars. Can't imagine it going above 2 stars.

"“I got sick of making music that people kept telling me didn’t sound contemporary,” a frustrated Billy Corgan bemoaned to NME in a recent (and forthcoming) interview about the band’s 11th studio album ‘CYR’. “So I took that on I was like, ‘OK I’m gonna make a contemporary music record; I don’t care what it takes’.”"
It’s pretty common for the UK music press to give out 3 or 4 star reviews as a minimum. Especially a non-committal 3 star review if the artist gives them an interview.

Old 11-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #117
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

really pumped for this album, i think it may really be his best work since Melon Collie! loved every track & video so far!!

Old 11-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #118
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

was it selfish of me to forego buying presents for my friends & family this year in exchange for getting all physical copies of Cyr for myself? i don't think so, but my kids seem to think otherwise (ignorant cunts!)

Old 11-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #119
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
was it selfish of me to forego buying presents for my friends & family this year in exchange for getting all physical copies of Cyr for myself? i don't think so, but my kids seem to think otherwise (ignorant cunts!)
There's a guy who posts on SP reddit who I assume is from Sad Machines who has SP tats and like posts photos of him sitting on the ground with the albums and candles spread out around him and I think he's crazy as I choose 1 of my 17 different Baby Yoda figures to play with.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:51 PM   #120
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

https://www.nme.com/reviews/the-smas...review-2823389