Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #91
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
No, you waste of space. You don't know what you're fucking talking about.

Go back to making up painfully unfunny troll headlines; it's the only thing you're qualified to discuss.
No mate, sorry.

USB anything on a turntable means it's a toy for people who buy vinyl because it's cool. Fact. No one makes good turntables with USB, it's just not done.

Best case scenario you spent ~$400 on a Project Carbon USB and then bought an external preamp and spent another ~$200 or so upgrading the stylus and cartridge.. but if you're going to do that then you wouldn't have bought a turntable with USB in the first place.

You're simply not qualified to talk about sound quality. It's really silly and irresponsible to say that this bootleg sounds better than the digital downloads it was sourced from. It's 1. impossible and 2. if it were possible your toy turntable wouldn't track well enough for you to hear the magic anyway. Some poor kid is going to read your guff and end up spending $400 for this bootleg thinking they're getting something good when really you're just trying to justify how much you spent.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #92
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
No mate, sorry.

USB anything on a turntable means it's a toy for people who buy vinyl because it's cool. Fact. No one makes good turntables with USB, it's just not done.

Best case scenario you spent ~$400 on a Project Carbon USB and then bought an external preamp and spent another ~$200 or so upgrading the stylus and cartridge.. but if you're going to do that then you wouldn't have bought a turntable with USB in the first place.

You're simply not qualified to talk about sound quality. It's really silly and irresponsible to say that this bootleg sounds better than the digital downloads it was sourced from. It's 1. impossible and 2. if it were possible your toy turntable wouldn't track well enough for you to hear the magic anyway. Some poor kid is going to read your guff and end up spending $400 for this bootleg thinking they're getting something good when really you're just trying to justify how much you spent.
No, you're drunk. The Denon DP-450 is six hundred fucking dollars and it's got a USB output for recording shit. Maybe you honestly believe you need to spend a four-digit figure on every. Single. Piece of equipment in your setup, but that's only the case if you want to relive the experience of being the guy in the Maxell tape ad. And that's not just a high-end setup, that's arguably lunacy.

If something in the neighborhood of six hundred IS a toy to you, you've utterly lost perspective on what good sound quality means to the average listener. My turntable does its job just fine, thank you.

You're also assuming - understandably - that this thing is sourced from digital downloads. I'm questioning even that, as unlikely as it sounds.

The whole fucking reason I brought this to light is because yes, I do think it sounds really good, enough that I'm wondering if maybe someone out there either did a new rip from one of the originals, or maybe has ahold of Billy's master tapes, or, yes, even did some editing fuckery of their own.

And hey, you think I want people to go out and spend hundreds on this thing? I don't. That's one of the reasons I'm offering to get a rip out there. So maybe people won't have to do that if they're curious, and the original spirit of keeping MII out there for free is fucking adhered to, no matter what the release.

And if a USB rip isn't considered good enough by most, I'm more than willing to take it somewhere and get it done professionally. Simple as.

So don't make assumptions about my intentions, and please, take your elitist bullshit elsewhere, thanks.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #93
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Red face

watch it Shadaloo, if you keep going down this road he may come back with an actual quoted, totally legit interview to back his claims up

Old 05-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #94
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

must spread rep

Old 05-18-2020, 10:48 AM   #95
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
And if a USB rip isn't considered good enough by most, I'm more than willing to take it somewhere and get it done professionally. Simple as.
You're a lovely person and true fan for considering that so I'll concede that I'm being a dick.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #96
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
watch it Shadaloo, if you keep going down this road he may come back with an actual quoted, totally legit interview to back his claims up
I don't recall Billy ever saying anything about this particular bootleg but it'd be a great time to ask him on Instagram.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:06 PM   #97
Eulogy
huh

The fourteen year old has logged on

Old 05-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #98
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
You're a lovely person and true fan for considering that so I'll concede that I'm being a dick.
Thank you, and I apologize for my harshness. Just trying to do people a solid.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:17 PM   #99
trev
charm

Quote:
Just trying to do people a solid.
i believe this is the thread you are looking for then:

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187973

Old 05-18-2020, 07:18 PM   #100
trev
charm

Quote:
OK, so just for the fuck of it I re-downloaded the Q101 off the magnet link torrent because I wanted to see of the audio glitch at the end of Saturnine is on there like it is on the archive.org download. It isn't.

Also Soul Power clocks in at 2 seconds shorter on the archive download
anyone know how to replace/upgrade the archive.org version?

Old 05-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #101
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
i believe this is the thread you are looking for then:

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187973
most sprod rop

Old 05-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #102
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
have you tried contacting your local government representative?

Old 05-19-2020, 05:57 AM   #103
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by*incubator*

No mate, sorry.*

USB anything on a turntable means it's a toy for people who buy vinyl because it's cool. Fact. No one makes good turntables with USB, it's just not done.*

Best case scenario you spent ~$400 on a Project Carbon USB and then bought an external preamp and spent another ~$200 or so upgrading the stylus and cartridge.. but if you're going to do that then you wouldn't have bought a turntable with USB in the first place.*

You're simply not qualified to talk about sound quality. It's really silly and irresponsible to say that this bootleg sounds better than the digital downloads it was sourced from. It's 1. impossible and 2. if it were possible your toy turntable wouldn't track well enough for you to hear the magic anyway. Some poor kid is going to read your guff and end up spending $400 for this bootleg thinking they're getting something good when really you're just trying to justify how much you spent

Elitist much?

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 05-19-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #104
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
I'm he uploader of the four archive.org versions. I can modify them.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:38 PM   #105
Muzz1e
Pledge

Lurker here...

Obtained one of these in the mail today. Wanted to to weigh in.

Listened to it tonight on my any Audio Technica LP-120 w/ A3SE cartridge. Goes through a Pro-Ject pre amp into my Onkyo receiver and out my Definitive Technology book shelf speakers.

To my ears, definitely sounds awesome. Wish we had more information on it. It does sound a smidge different, can’t tell if it is a new rip or just someone tried their own hand at “mastering” the old files we’ve had for years. Noted little cuts at the end of tracks, like the classic, “jungle drummed out” at the end of Lucky 13 is missing. Also, it seems to be a little faster than it is supposed to be, much like one of the early rips circulated back in 2000 was. I adjusted the pitch on the turntable down a little bit to counteract this. I mention this more, as I know some people LIKE that faster rip of Machina and this may be of note to them.

I find the choices of tracks on disc 4 to be curious, would have been rad if whoever assembled this put Arising or other live Machina era tracks on it, but it’s still kinda cool to have a couple Adore demos and the Bowie birthday tracks on vinyl. Beggars can’t be choosers, I suppose.

Glad to have got one. Who knows, if the reissue ever comes out and the new mixes fail to deliver the goods, might be even happier to have this.

Cheers.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:06 AM   #106
trev
charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz1e View Post
Noted little cuts at the end of tracks, like the classic, “jungle drummed out” at the end of Lucky 13 is missing. Also, it seems to be a little faster than it is supposed to be, much like one of the early rips circulated back in 2000 was.
sounds like it might be a re-tweaked copy of either the virgin in house promo or the eric agnew 3% fast rip then.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:37 AM   #107
Muzz1e
Pledge

Yeah, I would say it could very well be a tweaked version of the Agnew rip.

Whatever the case, it really does sound pretty darn good. A welcome addition to my SP vinyl collection.