Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #31
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

/shrug ascii

Old 02-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #32
yo soy el mejor

i went to the community college in dallas where all those cops were killed. and tim attended the high school all over the news right now.

next!

Old 02-15-2018, 09:47 PM   #33
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

it's only going to get a lot worse now. and frequency will rise. mass shootings have become a trope that young, disturbed teens aggrandize, and aspire to.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #34
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Yeah that's horrible.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #35
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

And it’s all so easy.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #36
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Fuck the nra

Fuck the republicans who suck the nras cock and take money from the nra

Fuck trump and fuck this “people should have done something SO MAN SIGNS!!!!”

In my view trump and the republicans are squarely fucking responsible for this shit

Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #37
redbreegull

maybe it's time for all the liberals to buy guns and "end this" if you know what I mean

Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #38
redbreegull

there are a lot more of us just saying

Old 02-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #39
FoolofaTook

Yeah. Kill them all!

Long Live the Greater Serbian Galactic Empire!

Old 02-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #40
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisInSpades View Post
Lmao why the fuck would anyone do that
libtard sjw snowflakes should just man up and accept that sometimes people just randomly got pumped full of lead by a maniac with an automatic rifle and there's nothing anyone can do about it

Old 02-15-2018, 10:58 PM   #41
FoolofaTook

Freedumb ain't free.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #42
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

everyone saw something and said something. people suspected him before they even IDed him.
there was armed security at the school
town had just been named one of the safest places in america
town is middle-upper and upper class exclusively

my therapist has a friend whose daughter died.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 AM   #43
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
libtard sjw snowflakes should just man up and accept that sometimes people just randomly got pumped full of lead by a maniac with an automatic rifle and there's nothing anyone can do about it
....I was talking about what Trump did.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:35 AM   #44
redbreegull

I know

Old 02-16-2018, 01:36 AM   #45
MarquisInSpades
Banned

oh

cool

Old 02-16-2018, 01:43 AM   #46
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
everyone saw something and said something. people suspected him before they even IDed him.
there was armed security at the school
town had just been named one of the safest places in america
town is middle-upper and upper class exclusively

my therapist has a friend whose daughter died.
what a fucking literal nightmare

Old 02-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #47
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Psychiatrists Can’t Stop Mass Killers

Richard A. Friedman OCT. 11, 2017

In the wake of the Las Vegas massacre, politicians are once again promoting the politically expedient notion that better mental health care could stop such mass killings. Paul D. Ryan, the speaker of the House, said last week that “mental health reform is a critical ingredient to making sure that we can try and prevent some of these things from happening in the past.”

The public appears to share this view. A 2015 poll found that 63 percent of Americans blamed deficient mental health care rather than deficient gun regulations for these shootings.

It’s true that many mass murderers do have a mental disorder, typically a severe personality disorder or a psychotic illness. But this fact has almost no implication for how to stop them.

Why? First, a vast majority of these killers avoid the mental health care system. They are intent on murdering people, not on seeking help, and generally don’t see themselves as psychiatrically ill. Of the 92 documented mass killings from 1982 to 2017, only 15 percent of the perpetrators had any known previous contact with mental health professionals.

Clearly, whatever psychiatric evaluation and treatment this small number of perpetrators had did not stop them from committing mass murder. Even if all of these killers had been seen by mental health professionals, it is still highly unlikely their crimes would have been prevented, because as a general matter it is very difficult, if not impossible, to predict who is likely to turn violent.

Stephen Paddock, the Las Vegas gunman, is an object lesson in this regard. As an affluent 64-year-old gambling enthusiast with no relevant criminal history, he bore little resemblance to the typical mass murderer, who tends to be an angry young man seething with resentment and with a history of violent outbursts. An exhaustive search of Mr. Paddock’s life for a motive has so far turned up nothing. His brother, Eric, noted that Stephen was “the least violent in the family during my childhood.” I have no doubt that had Stephen Paddock seen a psychiatrist, he would not have raised suspicion of dangerousness.

To put it another way, most mass killers are gun-owning, angry, white, paranoid males, but it is also a fact that nearly all men with these same characteristics will never commit a crime.

In addition, the mentally ill contribute very little to overall violence in this country. Even if you were to eliminate all psychiatric illness from the population, the rate of violence would drop by only about 4 percent. (The contribution from mass killers is far smaller: In 2015, mass killings accounted for only 0.35 percent of gun-related homicides.)

The disturbing reality is that a vast majority of homicide is committed by healthy people in the grip of everyday emotion using guns. That is exactly what many politicians don’t want the country to think about.

Still, if we can’t predict human aggression, there is much that we can do to modify or contain its expression. For example, consider the success of using simple physical barriers to prevent suicide. A 2015 ****-analysis showed that installing large safety nets beneath suicide “hot spots” like San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge was highly effective in cutting suicide risk. The death rate from suicide dropped from an average of 5.8 suicides per year before the nets were installed to an average of 2.4 deaths per year after. Intriguingly, in most cases there was no increase of suicide by jumping at other hot spots. In other words, taking away one means of self-harm did not result in the substitution of an alternative one.

The same appears to be true for homicide. Countries that limit access to deadly firearms have a fraction of the gun homicide rate of the United States. Australia, for example, severely restricted access to guns following a 1996 mass killing, and the gun homicide rate dropped by half and stayed there. In 2012, the United States had a homicide-by-firearm rate of 29.7 per million people compared with 1.4 for Australia.

Contrary to what some gun-rights enthusiasts claim, people who are deprived of guns do not simply find a new way to harm themselves or others. Countries that have reasonable gun control, for example, do not have a compensatory epidemic of lethal knife attacks.

So let’s stop pretending we can detect mass killers in advance. But we can deprive them — and everyone else — of the deadly weapons they require to turn their impulses into carnage.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #48
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

went to work today, still all anyone can talk about. my "you're in america speak english" conservative coworker was even saying trump is going to get verbally berated when he visits parkland and that he needs to be forced to look at the crime scene. that something needs to be done, etc. i was quite surprised to hear her say this. she also has a friend whose daughter died. it might be the same girl that my therapist knows, i'm not sure.

i honestly think if he comes to parkland there could be a riot. it's like spitting in their faces, no one wants him there except to express their anger at the policies he supports. parkland is an upper-class town with ranches and other large properties. people can afford to take time off to really grieve. kids are speaking out.

...but probably nothing will happen

Last edited by reprise85 : 02-16-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #49
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Not a mass shooting (yet) but in Rio we have military intervention on the police now. Yay for tanks cruising the streets and us getting one step closer to dictatorship.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #50
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

What would Pele do?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #51
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I'm sure that Mr. President will do the right thing

Old 02-18-2018, 10:37 PM   #52
fuzzyroes
Banned

Good god, what's wrong with this generation of people? When I was a kid you'd never hear about this kind of shit happening. I do think the gun laws in America need some tweaking. At the same time, it's far too much of a hassle to get your gun license in Canada, while all the criminals easily obtain them on the black market. It would be nice to see a middle ground found in the United States.

But still, there was never such mass violence in the decades before. I really do think this is a cultural problem that needs to be examined. These lifelike video games where you go on shooting rampages all day can't be good for impressionable disturbed children and teens... I really think they outta be banned.

I used to work at a video game department and parents were always buying their little children the most violent shooting games... It was unbelievable to me, really.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:53 PM   #53
FoolofaTook

You got a gun Fuzzy?

Old 02-18-2018, 10:55 PM   #54
fuzzyroes
Banned

I will not divulge such information on a public forum.

But I grew up around guns. My dad is a big gun enthusiast. Has a big collection of handguns and everything. I am gonna go through the process of getting a gun license... Just for the sport of it all. A good friend of mine visits the gun ranges regularly and it really looks like a fun hobby. There's a range out here that offers the disc shooting and what not. And it's always good to be able to protect yourself if the worst comes to the worst.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:02 PM   #55
FoolofaTook

So, you got a gun.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:02 PM   #56
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I will not divulge such information on a public forum.

I am gonna go through the process of getting a gun license
So, you do.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #57
fuzzyroes
Banned

I will soon enough. I like the sportsmanship of the hobby. I'm only gonna use it at ranges and shit and have it as comfort in the case of an emergency.

I'd reckon a good number of our yankee friends on Netphoria likely have guns. I don't see what the big deal is if you're a well balanced person.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:08 PM   #58
FoolofaTook

Note to nihilist self: don't steal socks from fuzzy's basement.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #59
fuzzyroes
Banned

I'm already well versed and on the way to getting a license, but it's much harder than I would have thought... Seeing as I'm a law abiding citizen with no criminal record to speak of... It's a direct opposite of how easy it is to go in and buy a guy in the United States.

I suppose that's a good thing and all, but you even need references out here and stuff... It's a little bit much considering that it's not even legal to carry a gun in public or anything.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #60
redbreegull

oh yeah let's blame video games. you know what else makes people murder a bunch of kids randomly? marijuana. and rock music. seriously how fucking stupid do you have to be