Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Exclamation ATTN TOOK: Alcest show review (live show thread)

ok.

before i say anything else, took, even though you specifically asked and wanna know - i apologize in advance if this will read like rubbing it in your face, because i know you wanted to see Alcest play for a long time.

but you seem like you really wanna know, and i'm dying to talk about this to someone, so here goes.

it took me a while to get into Alcest. the first track i'd stumbled across was Les Voyages De Lame, and it blew my head clean off. it was so god damn inspired, ethereal, majestic, pretty yet powerful, all at the same time. the song builds and builds so fluidly and then that fucking crescendo in the end is just ridiculously climactic. OK nevermind, fanboy gushings. point is, after starting off with that track i had difficulty finding other tracks that i liked because none compared.

after some listening around, it took me some time to realize Les Voyages De Lame (the record) is actually amazing from top to bottom, and although i'm still working my way through their discography, so far i still firmly believe that record has their best music, and perfect balance between noisy dreamscape shoegze and that black metal aesthetic.

so after having a reckless scooter cunt guy ramming straight into my fucking bike on the way to the concert, and having to replace the front wheel today, i got at the venue only to discover there are like 150-200 people waiting in line to buy a ticket. like, three or four flights of stars jammed with ppl. luckily i preordered (hell yea), so i went straight past all those motherfuckers (basking in their astonished yet undeniably resentful gaze) and got my ticket within 5 minutes.

ACTUAL CONCERT REVIEW

ok this is where the actual thing starts. i made my way into the crowd, placing myself dead center in front of the stage (where Neige would be), about third row. one of the perks of attending live shows in China is that i'm much taller than most Chinese, so even standing in third row i had a totally clear look at the stage with nothing in my way.

there was some shitty ass guitar music playing at a low volume as everybody seemed psyched up for the band to show up (95% of the attendance was Chinese - tbh i was quite surprised there weren't more foreigners). then all the sudden i caught a shadow of neige's senescent hair flailing from backstage, and everybody started freaking out as they took the stage, just on time, no star ego bullshit stuff.

they opened the set with Kodama, and the second the full band entered for the first time, it just sounded so colossal, i felt like the exploding bass drum and toms and bass and guitars just punched a hole in me. it was so incredibly loud, but sounded really fucking good. the bass response was so massive, my entire body was vibrating, i felt like G force, like on an intense rollercoaster.

the sound, surprisingly, was better straight off the top than what it was after that. then it got good again near the end. sometimes it was hard to hear what the guitars were doing, and sometimes neige's vocals were barely audible (though that's kind of a permanent stylistic choice i'm aware). but the band was tight, played with enormous amounts of attitude, knew their shit inside out, and frankly were fucking amazing from top to bottom.

i think it was probably the one single concert i'd enjoyed most in my life so far.
most other concerts i'd ever been to have been artists i'm only somewhat interested in, but my interest kinda waned after a while in those cases. and i mean, barely any artist i like ever came to israel. the type of artists that come to israel are choads like robbie williams and beyonce, or they're massive shows too big to enjoy, i.e paul mccartney playing in front of 100,000 people. i mean i would have LOVED to see mccartney, and still kinda regret not going tbqh, but with 100,000 ppl there what's the point. might as well watch it on tv.

it should be noted that all four Alcestees are honestly very handsome dudes, and Neige in particular might very well be the first man ever that I have actually looked at and was like, 'dude, i think i might be attracted to this guy'. something about his air, his demeanor - i am absolutely not ashamed to say i have a massive man crush on this dude atm.

he's not a self important rockstar douchebag though. you could totally tell he wasn't very good at talking shit or just bantering with the audience. he barely said anything except 'xie xie' and 'thank you so much guys' for the entire set, but when each song ended and the crowd cheered like crazy he just stood there with with this disarming (yeers burnn) shy smile, like it's his first time, with his hand pressed against his heart. he's definitely not like other musicians in that regard. his reactions to that kind of praise were quite beautiful to look at for me, honestly. true modesty. he seemed humbled.

it should be noted that i was so enormously happy to be attending this show within a Chinese crowd. they're all so shy and stilted and unlike american/european/western postmodern hipster shitstains. if that crowd was american, i'm POSITIVE there would be a mosh pit, tons of guys with outrageous and 'rebellious' outfits who need to headbang like they're trying to get rid of a filling in order to impress their Punk Supervisors, loudmouthed assholes ruining the experience for everybody, etc.

i was quite fortunate that in 2017, i got to see a show where people just fucking stood there and listened to the music. no bullshit. people barely even took out their phones. of course ppl took pics here and there, but it didn't even bother me (and it usually drives me up the fucking wall to see some cunt seeing the show through his cellphone screen as he's video filming). no outrageous outfits, no loudmouthed assholes, no cellphones, no moshpit. just a lot of people who came to respect the music. i absolutely loved that.

on a slightly less positive note, though. you know, alcest's songs are very dynamic and are constantly transitioning from loud parts to quiet, shimmery parts. what was somewhat annoying, was how every time Neige started screaming, everybody would go EIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII or YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAA or WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, like 'oh finally, do more of that bro'. i mean if you're gonna appreciate a band like alcest you'd be such a moron to be in it only for the screaming parts, cause they're literally the least important ones in the band's sound (at least imho), and are basically there to provide context. but nevermind, this is just me telling kids to get off my lawn. the crowd was great.

the whole band played really fucking well. they're a convincing and cohesive unit, and ebb and flow together, just like it should be. though there is no question that Neige is the truly outstanding talent in the band. his singing was beautiful, his screaming was perfect, his guitar playing was pretty much flawless and his guitar tone was (to my great surprise tbh) just as amazing as it is on the records.

if there are any tech geeks here, i checked out his pedalboard after the show, and for a 'shoegaze' artist, he really doesn't have much on his pedalboard at all. next to nothing. he gets his sound by running a split signal to a Roland jazz chorus amp, and a Fender twin reverb (if i'm not mistaken, it was hard to see). then his pedalboard only has some overdrive pedal, a boss delay pedal (a DD-5 i think), a tuner, and that's more or less it, give or take another pedal maybe. it's all in his hands. his cleans sound just as gorgeous as they do on the records.

funny anecdote for netphoria:
there was very little banter so i was looking for the right moment to yell out "LE VOYAGES DE LAME" so they might possibly maybe pretty please play it. finally, after like 12 songs, i muster up the courage and say it loud when there's a quiet moment, and Neige immediately went "actually, no". haha. shot down. then he said they will be playing a different song.

i still love you, Neige.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...205840_HDR.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...414_212819.jpg

it's a bit hard to see but check out Neige's peacock necklace. sexy motherfucker.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...414_212823.jpg

i especially love this pic with the drummer checking out his beer.
he was kinda weird throughout the show - stormed off the stage the second they finished playing their last song before Neige played a quiet one with only guitars happening for a while. was the first to get off the stage when the show was over too. his performance was still great tho.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...221758_HDR.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...414_212233.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...414_212235.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...416_000110.jpg

Old 04-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Thumbs up

Don't know the band, but I enjoyed reading that. Seriously man. Start a blog, I'll read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
it should be noted that i was so enormously happy to be attending this show within a Chinese crowd. they're all so shy and stilted and unlike american/european/western postmodern hipster shitstains. if that crowd was american, i'm POSITIVE there would be a mosh pit, tons of guys with outrageous and 'rebellious' outfits who need to headbang like they're trying to get rid of a filling in order to impress their Punk Supervisors, loudmouthed assholes ruining the experience for everybody, etc.

i was quite fortunate that in 2017, i got to see a show where people just fucking stood there and listened to the music. no bullshit. people barely even took out their phones. of course ppl took pics here and there, but it didn't even bother me (and it usually drives me up the fucking wall to see some cunt seeing the show through his cellphone screen as he's video filming). no outrageous outfits, no loudmouthed assholes, no cellphones, no moshpit. just a lot of people who came to respect the music. i absolutely loved that.
I especially loved this part. Sounds like goddamn paradise.

I fucking hate the crowds in America. Every man for himself, I'll stand in front of everyone even if I'm super fucking tall, I'm drunk and everyone's gonna know it, don't get in my way or we are fighting, oh my god I love [radio song] so much, so I'm only going to cheer for [radio song], I'm going to shout inappropriate things at the band during the quiet parts, go "WOOOOOO!" during the quiet parts so everyone knows I'm having a good time, record the whole thing through my smartphone, take selfies with my friends using the flash, spilling my beer all over the floor, starting a moshpit in an area where everyone is just chilling out and enjoying the show and I'm a dude who has to take his shirt off at concerts. Just because.

I've been to three shows in the last two years, and this shit is a big part of why.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Talking

attn: took

come on man

you couldn't find a butthole if it was up your ass

Old 04-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Oh ok lol

AWESOME!!! WILL WRITE MORE LATER

Old 04-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Don't know the band, but I enjoyed reading that. Seriously man. Start a blog, I'll read it.

I especially loved this part. Sounds like goddamn paradise.

I fucking hate the crowds in America. Every man for himself, I'll stand in front of everyone even if I'm super fucking tall, I'm drunk and everyone's gonna know it, don't get in my way or we are fighting, oh my god I love [radio song] so much, so I'm only going to cheer for [radio song], I'm going to shout inappropriate things at the band during the quiet parts, go "WOOOOOO!" during the quiet parts so everyone knows I'm having a good time, record the whole thing through my smartphone, take selfies with my friends using the flash, spilling my beer all over the floor, starting a moshpit in an area where everyone is just chilling out and enjoying the show and I'm a dude who has to take his shirt off at concerts. Just because.

I've been to three shows in the last two years, and this shit is a big part of why.
thanks a lot for the kind words man, i appreciate it
and actually everyone else who said kind stuff about my ramblings in the past few days, if you're reading this. i will definitely look into starting a blog soon. i mean i'm not doing it for cash rewards, got nothing to lose, right?

anyway yeah, i really do feel like i was lucky to attend such a concert, crowd wise.
even when i saw Sun Kil Moon earlier this year (which was an awful concert, sorry koz i luv you but you were pretty bad) there was some western guy going "heeeeeeeeeeeeeeey" every time the band stopped playing.

tbh it was worth it only to read cork soaker's cracks about it later, as he hilariously found that funny, but during the concert i wanted to pipe that guy in the throat. wait that sounds like a euphemism for sucking my dick or something. i mean like, take a metal pipe and fuck his shit up with it. wait that sounds like anal rape with a metal pipe. oh well i'll take it.

i really do wish people would go to concerts to actually listen to the music they love and pay tribute to the artist they care for and NOT HOLD A CELLPHONE TO HIS FACE all night long but you know.

i was such a dumbass to miss The Fall in Tokyo when i travelled there. i procrastinated on prepurchasing a ticket and then they got insanely pricey so i couldn't afford it anymore

Old 04-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Unhappy

Quote:
anyway yeah, i really do feel like i was lucky to attend such a concert, crowd wise.
even when i saw Sun Kil Moon earlier this year (which was an awful concert, sorry koz i luv you but you were pretty bad) there was some western guy going "heeeeeeeeeeeeeeey" every time the band stopped playing.
yeah i saw him with Jesu half a year ago or so. it wasn't good. everything about it was just too long. too drawn out. every song was too long and the whole concert was i think over 3 hours. the sound was shit. he really lost all sense of quality control.

i think i posted about it before.

having said that, i actually enjoy the new album. i wouldn't recommend it to anyone not familiar with SKM though, it suffers from all those things. much to my surprise i do enjoy most of it.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i mean his "band" was literally two guys on keyboards and a drummer.
they were surprisingly sloppy, and it was very obvious they barely had any idea about how the songs are supposed to go.

they just played the same riff for 8-9 minutes until mark finished reeling off his lyrics and then he would just motion with his hand across his neck and they'd halt at the end of the bar. really fucking disappointing

i did get a big kick out of hearing this voice that i love so much and seeing it come out of this person standing onstage. there were a few good songs so all in all i don't regret going, although i do wish it was better or at least that he'd play some geetar

Old 04-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
FoolofaTook

Just got home from work

READING NOW OMFG I'M CUMMING

Old 04-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
FoolofaTook

Oh wow this is so cool teh b0llz. such great pics too. what a great spot to pick to stand at. i love neiges what is that a jazzmaster? Same guitar kevin shields plays i think.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #11
FoolofaTook

God I wish I was there with you. Important question: were you high?

Old 04-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #12
FoolofaTook

How loud was it? Did you wear earplugs?

Old 04-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #13
FoolofaTook

I am sorry he didn't play your song. but hey at least neige replied to you

and btw you better back off neige. i saw him first.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #14
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i saw emma ruth rundle/this will destroy you/deafheaven about a month ago it was pretty epic this will destroy you is lovely live but i would like them to play for 2 hours and i could have a seat and a bag of mushrooms you know

deafheaven is so much fun to see in person because george is a very entertaining front man imo i guess maybe if i like DFHVN i should look at alcest

Old 04-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #15
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
God I wish I was there with you. Important question: were you high?
i actually neglected to add to this review the most important sentence, that came into my mind multiple times during the show:

it would have been so fucking awesome if you were there to hang out and appreciate it with me. hopefully in the future, dude.

i was as straight as an arrow. holy shit being high on good weed would have made that shit unbelievable

Old 04-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #16
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
How loud was it? Did you wear earplugs?
it was oppressively loud, it was crazy.
i could actually hear the instruments much clearer and better when i plugged my ears with my fingers, which was a shame because i had no ear plugs with me.

a lesson for next time i suppose. as i said i'm a live show rookie unfortunately

Quote:
I am sorry he didn't play your song. but hey at least neige replied to you
haha i thought the same thing to be perfectly honest
i feel like such a fanboy now

Old 04-16-2017, 07:44 PM   #17
FoolofaTook

I think teh b0lly is right. voyages de lame (or whatevs fucking french) is probs his best. it is a good album to start with if you want to check them out.

teh bolly have you listened to souvenirs dautre monde (goddamn french) it is the last alcest albun i got into and i think its my fav. its all neige doing all the instruments. very dreamy shoegazing but also super loud guitars right up front.it was the first alcest album before he got his drummer.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #18
FoolofaTook

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing alcest sober. i love them that much. this last year has been mainly an alcest year for me. ameosaurs (christ on a cross FRENCH) too.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #19
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i only just downloaded their discography so now i'm gonna dive into it and they became a THING for me

i wish i knew the songs better before the show, would have only made it better

Old 04-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #20
FoolofaTook

I think ameosaurs is a dinosaur lol

nice one fulltoke

Old 04-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #21
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
i was such a dumbass to miss The Fall in Tokyo when i travelled there. i procrastinated on prepurchasing a ticket and then they got insanely pricey so i couldn't afford it anymore
trots i can feel your disappointed gaze stabbing me stop it

man i was dumb to miss that show. still regret it

Old 04-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #22
FoolofaTook

Quote:
i only just downloaded their discography so now i'm gonna dive into it and they became a THING for me

i wish i knew the songs better before the show, would have only made it better
So excited for you. shelter is beautiful. souvenirs is fucking titanic. kodama rocks. the other two you know. have fun!

Old 04-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #23
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
deafheaven about a month ago it was pretty epic this will destroy you is lovely live but i would like them to play for 2 hours and i could have a seat and a bag of mushrooms you know
i always kinda bypassed talks about this band because i thought they're METAL UP YOUR ASS kinda band, didn't realize they're also post rock/shoegaze/etc

reading about them now i think i'm going to check them out. any recs?

Old 04-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #24
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

sunbather

Old 04-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #25
FoolofaTook

Teh b0lly it seems to me that lately neige has been using black metal elements at the peak of some ascending section in a song. especially on kodama this is evident i think. he also like black metal outros. its amazing to me how seamlessly he goes from blissed out shoegaze to shrieking black metal apocalypses.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:54 AM   #26
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Did you ever listen to Cobalt, Shonny?

teh b0lly!!1 does need to climb aboard the Burzum wagon if he's not already on it.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:57 AM   #27
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Buzzbrah you posted a link to some Australian (or NZ based, sorry i know it's like a huge insult to you guys to confuse the two but i honestly can't remember) shoegaze/post rock band the other day and i kinda liked what i was hearing.

the guitar work was great, really interesting and inspiring but i remember thinking the drums were really lackluster and sloppy

they had a somewhat silly name i also can't remember

what's wrong with me i'm not even smoking any weed

Old 04-17-2017, 03:52 AM   #28
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Greenfog, right?

If so, I suspect that the drummer is malnourished, chronically underslept, partial to heroin, a bona fide alien or all of the above. Here, have an illustrative thumbnail.

The drums had honestly never jumped out at me as poor to any noteworthy extent, but I guess I also hadn't really thought about it all that much and probably don't know enough about the instrument to say. Perhaps it'd qualify as a cop-out to suggest that they've always felt "appropriate" to the style.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #29
FoolofaTook

Shonny? Is that some.sort of undignified variant of Jonny?

(contemptuous sniff)

I'll have you know, sir, that I have just read the Gita, yes the Bhagavad Gita. Show some respect.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #30
FoolofaTook

And no I've never heard Cobalt.