Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Default Interpol - El Pintor

new album out in September. They will be touring this summer to promote it. Paul Banks handles all of the bass playing duties on this one.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
Mooney
Socialphobic

el scorcho

Old 06-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

They started repeating themselves after Antics. Two good records is what they had in them. I don't expect to be proven wrong unless they started exploring different sounds.

and is Banks playing bass live too? I liked Dengler's basslines. Like most good post punk, original or revival, the bass was one of the defining element of their sound.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
They started repeating themselves after Antics.
Couldn't disagree more. While there were some overarching similarities - compare "Lights" to anything on the first two. A pretty solid departure.

I have no problem with the 3rd and 4th albums - in fact, I might even say I prefer Our Love to Admire over Antics overall.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

nah, they got bad after Antics. Our Love to Admire has a few good songs but that's it. I remember Catherine Wheel arguing that no one likes their newer stuff cause it's too experimental haha.

anyway I would love to be proved wrong, but honestly as good as Turn on the Bright Lights is, they weren't exactly working with the most diverse palette of colors to begin with. I remember a reviewer once wrote, "Interpol is a one-trick pony. It's just a very good trick."

Old 06-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Our love to admire is a great album. Just not as good as the first two. The fourth album is just so lifeless and depressing. It lacks the energy of their early stuff. It's bad in that sense.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
nah, they got bad after Antics. Our Love to Admire has a few good songs but that's it. I remember Catherine Wheel arguing that no one likes their newer stuff cause it's too experimental haha.

anyway I would love to be proved wrong, but honestly as good as Turn on the Bright Lights is, they weren't exactly working with the most diverse palette of colors to begin with. I remember a reviewer once wrote, "Interpol is a one-trick pony. It's just a very good trick."
This is exactly how i feel. Like a lot of bands they're very good at one thing but cant stretch themselves. It reminds me a bit of Placebo who i loved in the late 90's but started to sound pretty damn stale after 3 records. Though i feel the problem with Interpol is that the latter records weren't even as good as the first two. I mean that it's ok to do always more or less the same thing, if there's a standard of quality maintained throughout, there isn't. It sounds like a band becoming bored with what they do. which i suppose they're bound to be after over ten years. I can fully understand why Carlos quit. They were going around in circles. This is the kind of band that should breakup after 3 records.

They've been compared a lot with The Chameleons sound wise which is a band i love and chameleons kinda had the same problem in that they were destined to sound more or less the same but what they did is they DID split after 3 records.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
redbreegull

I feel like High Violet by The National kind of stole Interpol's sound and improved upon it

http://www.heebmagazine.com/wp-conte...-3-300x300.jpg

I know in actuality both bands are just coming from a similar place in terms of being really influenced by Joy Division and other post-punk acts and this was just the National's stab at that real dark downstroke sound Interpol tend to languish in, but songs like Anyone's Ghost and Little Faith are so much like NYC, just better

Last edited by redbreegull : 06-24-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

I FUCKING HATE THIS BAND

Old 06-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
Catherine Wheel
Banned

The band Interpol most resemble is Echo and the Bunnymen.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
The band Interpol most resemble is Echo and the Bunnymen.

what!?

hmm...no. In your world maybe. Not in the real one. Banks sounds like Ian Curtis and msuically they resemble Joy Division meets The Chameleons.

The two guitars interplay in Interpol is pretty much textbook chameleons. I mean they dont sound just the fuck like them overall but pretty close.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Have you heard Heaven Up Here and Crocodiles by the Bunnymen? I mean I do hear some Chameleons in there too but early Bunnymen really is the template for Interpol.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
redbreegull

Echo and the Bunnymen are in a similar vein, but certainly not more so than Joy Division. I don't hear them being the "template" for Interpol at all. Are there some specific songs you are thinking of?

Old 06-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
Catherine Wheel
Banned

The vocals are all Joy Division but I think most of the songs on Heaven Up Here are the inspiration for Interpol's sound.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Show of Strength maybe a little, if i try to hear it. The rest i honestly don't hear it. I mean unless you want to say Interpol sounds like most post punk bands with a dark edge.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Show of Strength definitely. With a Hip, It Was A Pleasure, All I Want, No Dark Things, Torquoise Days somewhat. I hear the Chameleons in their sound from time to time but the guitar interplay reminds me more of the Bunnymen.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #17
Trotskilicious
Banned

did you guys forget who you were talking to?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #18
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Yes.

No actually but sometimes one has to speak out.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #19
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Speak out about what? Why am I being singled out for saying they sound a lot like Echo and the Bunnymen? You guys are impossible sometimes.

http://altmusic.about.com/od/artists/a/interpol.htm

a moody, gloomy brand of rock heavily influenced by English post-punk acts like Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen, and the Cure

Old 06-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned

speak out about how you are CRAZY

Old 06-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #21
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

yeah because music critics aren't often times completely full of shit in their comparisons. I mean on their wikipedia it draws comparisons to The Smiths based on some rolling stones review of turn on the bright lights. this is a paid music critic who compared Interpol with the Smiths. come the fuck on. How lazy and full of shit is that.

Anyway ultimately it doesn't matter who we think sounds like who and it's kind of a pointless game, drawing comparisons. I'm just saying though i don't hear echo in the bunnymen much at all in interpol. Not only did you compare them,, you said that Interpol was most like Echo and the bunnymen. Which implies pretty damn similar to me. which they clearly aren't . And once you get past Heaven up here especially, not even close.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:05 AM   #22
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
Speak out about what? Why am I being singled out for saying they sound a lot like Echo and the Bunnymen? You guys are impossible sometimes.
honestly I appreciate your presence here because you always have unusual opinions and you never get hostile that others disagree with you

but really I don't understand how you can think echo and the bunnymen laid the groundwork for interpol more than joy division. I had never even heard chameleons before this thread and the guitar interplay sounds JUST like Interpol in some of those songs

Old 06-26-2014, 12:07 AM   #23
redbreegull

now if you wanted to argue that the bunnymen forged the template for u2....

Old 06-26-2014, 01:06 AM   #24
Trotskilicious
Banned

also the smiths

Old 06-26-2014, 01:08 AM   #25
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean lets face it, i'm pretty sure the edge masturbates to johnny marr riffs and when they put out that movie with jimmy page, jack white and inexplicably the edge they SHOULD have gotten Johnny Marr

Old 06-26-2014, 01:11 AM   #26
redbreegull

True that. Interesting how the two bands are like ideologically/spiritually the opposite of each other

Old 06-26-2014, 01:15 AM   #27
Trotskilicious
Banned

well david cameron also is a self professed fan of the smiths, i guess he wasn't paying attention to all the lyrics about how much morrissey hates tories and margaret thatcher and the queen and on and on

Old 06-26-2014, 01:16 AM   #28
Trotskilicious
Banned

guy is so fucking underrated it's incredible, and i'm sure he likes it that way. i love the band photo where he's literally looking over morrissey's shoulder like "i'm here, don't pay attention to me though look at this ridiculous iconoclast i found to sing!!!"

Old 06-26-2014, 01:36 AM   #29
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Ok it's my opinion right now everyone in this thread is full of shit.

And i like Marr but the one that DIDN'T belong in it might get loud was FUCKING Jack white. Ooh he can play some blues. Who gives a shit. Grossly overrated in love with himself fat fuck (to be fair everyone in this doc was probably overrated yes even Jimmy Page)

All i can say though is if i could have the guitar playing mind of anyone it would be 1980-1984 Edge. I said it and i'll stand by it. You can all fuck off.

Marr is probably somewhere under though. But seriously Edge and Marr's approach to guitar are pretty damn dissimilar. Pretty sure Edge is quoted somewhere as liking Marr but i never felt he ever tried to rip him off and i don't hear it either.

And Echo and the bunnymen is not a template to any U2. Even the real shitty part of their career (i know to some people that's all of U2's career and i can see why some people would say that but to me it starts after the 80's, well and you can see the beginning of it in the late 80's)

U2 and Smiths have one thing in common, i kinda have to ignore their singer to enjoy them. If i had to pick biggest twat between Bono and Morrissey...ooh boy. Imagine if Smiths had been as huge as U2 and were still around.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:50 AM   #30
redbreegull

Both are total dicks. Morrissey is hilarious though, whereas Bono is just a dick.