Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #121
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord
 
duovamp's Avatar
 
Location: heavy metal pool party
Posts: 35,732
Default

Trots just wants to get medical maryjane so he can have a scapegoat when he beats his wife to death.

 
duovamp is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #122
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Posts: 32,323
Default

I'd like some medical for my ptsd

Seriously, though, good studies going on.

 
reprise85 is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #123
agenda suicide
cunt cookies
 
agenda suicide's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz View Post
no you'll just say "i was just raising the point", wanting this kid to make "proper research". what the fuck does that mean, is he supposed to dive into scientific litterature on the A1 serotonergic receptor. irresponsible fear mongering is what it is, just like your pal banana stefan.
What it means is the kid should talk to his parents about looking for a good doctor. The doctor is the one that should be doing the research for a proper solution.

 
agenda suicide is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #124
agenda suicide
cunt cookies
 
agenda suicide's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i'm going to go ahead and say that's an apocryphal tale.

even if it was happening all the time (which it isn't), that doesn't undermine the value of the drugs just underscores the questionable profit-seeking intentions of the pharmaceutical corporations
It was a family member. I'm not making up stuff just for the hell of it.

 
agenda suicide is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #125
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Gossamer's Avatar
 
Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.
Posts: 3,832
Default

I would estimate that about 50% of the people here are suffering from some type of mental health issue. Online message boards are teeming with people with anxiety (social anxiety) and mood disorders (dysthymia) because for many people this is their main social outlet and it's a very controlled social situation.

Last edited by Gossamer : 10-04-2011 at 06:29 PM.

 
Gossamer is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #126
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Gossamer's Avatar
 
Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.
Posts: 3,832
Default

I have posted before about how I am licensed by the NYSED as a mental health counselor with a specialty in treating mood disorders through psychotherapy. There is nothing that bothers me more than someone who is just getting prescribed meds for their issues and not having weekly talk therapy sessions. That is not how you get better or grow as a person because you aren't actually processing your feelings. Meds are great in the short term and when the issue is so severe that psychotherapy is not an option in that moment, but to be on meds for the rest of your life is no way to live IMO. If you are feeling depressed, look for help. Find a therapist that you feel you can talk to and work with and don't settle for just anyone.

We ourselves create our own heaven and hells here on earth.

 
Gossamer is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #127
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 12,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenugly View Post
I am in the process of cleaning it currently, you see I take bad care of myself, I have found CD cases with maggots, and I found the Adore CD covered in maggots, just awful, I have never cleaned here before, and my mother is disabled physically (Inb4 she's a retard, she isn't, she is very smart and she taught me how to use punctuation.) so she cannot clean this room.

My mother wants me to sleep in my old room again but I don't want that because there is no door on my room anymore, I dunno, my dad took it off a few years ago and I have no idea why.

I have cassettes in this basement, 10-15, mostly blank cassettes that I use for recording my music...I have a radio down ehre because I cannot go to sleep in pure silence, bugs me out.
can't your dad clean the basement or put up the door or is he out of the picture?

 
dean_r_koontz is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #128
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,934
Default

you're a teenager, you're supposed to have bouts of depression

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #129
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 12,657
Default

and what about this asshole of a brother. can't some netphorians go to your house and kick his ass?

 
dean_r_koontz is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #130
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Posts: 32,323
Default

Just because this thread is already here:

Depressed Brains May Hate Differently

I mean, this is a tiny study and doesn't mean very much but it is interesting.

Also, in reading the comments someone posted a really good description sadness vs depression:

"People without depression have more focused feelings. When they're sad, there is a direct cause-effect. People with a depression only have the effect, but not necessarily a cause. A sad person will tell you immediately what's making them sad. A depressed person simply withdraws, isolates himself/herself from the surrounding world and cannot state a clear reason for being unable to feel any uplifting emotion. They are basically sad for no reason at all, and since their sadness is not focused it is better described as "inability to feel anything that brings joy" as opposed to the actual feeling of sadness provoked by a real reason in a non-depressed person."

I don't think the first part is necessarily true, but the description after that is pretty good.

 
reprise85 is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #131
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Gossamer's Avatar
 
Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.
Posts: 3,832
Default

Eh, idk I think that people who are depressed are aware of at least part of the reason why they are sad. I think it is dangerous to say that they are basically sad for no reason at all. There is ALWAYS a reason if you dig deep enough into a person's thoughts.

To me sadness is an emotion while depression is a mental state. The sad emotion is just a part of the depression.

 
Gossamer is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #132
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Posts: 32,323
Default

I agree it's not no reason at all, it's just more convoluted and hidden under symptoms for some. Convoluted may not be the right word, but I mean seemingly complex.

I know you know the difference between sadness and depression but many people seem not to which is why I quoted that. Personally, my depression is more unfeeling than feeling sad, but that's a defense mechanism and sometimes it breaks down (in therapy - which is a good thing). I have other issues so I'm not saying it's like that for everyone.

Last edited by reprise85 : 10-04-2011 at 07:59 PM.

 
reprise85 is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #133
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Gossamer's Avatar
 
Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.
Posts: 3,832
Default

The article you posted is pretty interesting, thanks for that...I'll probably use it in one of my groups next week and see what people think about it.

My thoughts on it are this (I only skimmed it so forgive me if I missed something):

I feel like one of the main cognitive distortions that people who are experiencing depression use is "black and white" thinking (this is also one of the main cognitive distortions in people who are diagnosed with borderline personality disorder). Basically the person labels other people (or themselves) as all good or all bad. What that article talks about is how depressed brains experience hatred in a much more extreme way than those that are not depressed and I think that the black and white thinking kind of goes hand in hand with that. Usually when you have someone afflicted with borderline personality disorder there is either severe aggressive behaviors towards others (particularly romantic partners) or the self (self mutilation). Typically people with borderline personality disorder experience extreme rage and explosive anger. It would make sense that there is some significant linkage going on here and I would be very interested in looking at the brains of people diagnosed with BPD and see if they are showing some of the similar traits shown in this study.

 
Gossamer is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #134
kelsome
Apocalyptic Poster
 
kelsome's Avatar
 
Location: the warmth between your thighs
Posts: 1,175
Default

yeah I've got the depression

 
kelsome is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #135
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Posts: 32,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
The article you posted is pretty interesting, thanks for that...I'll probably use it in one of my groups next week and see what people think about it.

My thoughts on it are this (I only skimmed it so forgive me if I missed something):

I feel like one of the main cognitive distortions that people who are experiencing depression use is "black and white" thinking (this is also one of the main cognitive distortions in people who are diagnosed with borderline personality disorder). Basically the person labels other people (or themselves) as all good or all bad. What that article talks about is how depressed brains experience hatred in a much more extreme way than those that are not depressed and I think that the black and white thinking kind of goes hand in hand with that. Usually when you have someone afflicted with borderline personality disorder there is either severe aggressive behaviors towards others (particularly romantic partners) or the self (self mutilation). Typically people with borderline personality disorder experience extreme rage and explosive anger. It would make sense that there is some significant linkage going on here and I would be very interested in looking at the brains of people diagnosed with BPD and see if they are showing some of the similar traits shown in this study.
Yeah, it would be interesting to see that with many things. I'll be more excited when there's bigger studies though.

 
reprise85 is offline
Old 10-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #136
null123
Minion of Satan
 
Location: bye
Posts: 7,273
Default

that's good you're getting help rottenugly. your home situation sounds really stressful so however that plays into what's going on with your depression, I hope you can at least get some good talk therapy or some other outlet. I was depressed when I was 14 too.

 
null123 is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #137
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agenda suicide View Post
It was a family member. I'm not making up stuff just for the hell of it.
how mad are you at me right now for real

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #138
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Just because this thread is already here:

Depressed Brains May Hate Differently

I mean, this is a tiny study and doesn't mean very much but it is interesting.

Also, in reading the comments someone posted a really good description sadness vs depression:

"People without depression have more focused feelings. When they're sad, there is a direct cause-effect. People with a depression only have the effect, but not necessarily a cause. A sad person will tell you immediately what's making them sad. A depressed person simply withdraws, isolates himself/herself from the surrounding world and cannot state a clear reason for being unable to feel any uplifting emotion. They are basically sad for no reason at all, and since their sadness is not focused it is better described as "inability to feel anything that brings joy" as opposed to the actual feeling of sadness provoked by a real reason in a non-depressed person."

I don't think the first part is necessarily true, but the description after that is pretty good.
friend of mine put it pretty well by just saying "When I'm sad, there's a reason for it and I can cheer myself up with ice cream or a beer or three. When you're sad...well, nothing can cheer you up."

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #139
rottenugly
Banned
 
Location: its a gas
Posts: 2,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz View Post
can't your dad clean the basement or put up the door or is he out of the picture?
I don't like my father, wasn't there for me when I was little.

 
rottenugly is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 02:06 AM   #140
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Posts: 32,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
friend of mine put it pretty well by just saying "When I'm sad, there's a reason for it and I can cheer myself up with ice cream or a beer or three. When you're sad...well, nothing can cheer you up."
Right. The little things that make people laugh/smile/cheery are just totally absent in I guess severe cases. I told some therapist in a hospital that nothing gives me pleasure, I could win the lottery and find true love and I'd still be depressed. It was true at the time I think; I really did not want to live.

I mean, now that I feel somewhat better I have noticed how beautiful the sky is, and other little things that never even were a thought in my head before. I'm still not used to it (little moments of happiness, or whatever you want to call it). It fluctuates of course but it's good to be able to appreciate my progress.

I'm just writing all this because I know other people are struggling and it took me three years of therapy and inpatient stays and blah blah blah but I am getting better. I was definitely a "high risk" client because of my chronic suicidality and the nature of PTSD and Dissociative Disorders as well. I would probably still be classified that way but it doesn't really matter to me.

So, you can get better dudes. I'm on shaky ground but I can finally see it is possible to feel better. If you asked me a year ago or any time before that I would have said it's impossible.

 
reprise85 is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #141
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 12,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenugly View Post
I don't like my father, wasn't there for me when I was little.
ok. well keep us posted on this medication bussiness. stay strong.

 
dean_r_koontz is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 02:52 AM   #142
agenda suicide
cunt cookies
 
agenda suicide's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
how mad are you at me right now for real
I'm not mad at you.

 
agenda suicide is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 03:00 AM   #143
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 32,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenugly View Post
I don't like my father, wasn't there for me when I was little.
that doesn't mean he can't clean the basement or put the door back.

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 AM   #144
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Posts: 32,323
Default

Why can't you clean the basement? Because your depression is that bad right now? Can you explain why you can't do it yourself

 
reprise85 is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 05:02 AM   #145
redbull
Immortal
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Location: like liutenant dan i'm rollin'
Posts: 21,039
Default

i had (and continue to deal with) depression

i dunno, just start talking. that helps. i didn't read the thread since it is hugely fucking TLDR

 
redbull is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #146
rottenugly
Banned
 
Location: its a gas
Posts: 2,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Why can't you clean the basement? Because your depression is that bad right now? Can you explain why you can't do it yourself
No, I neglected to clean it because I'm a lazy fuck and just want to sleep in fetal position.

I have cleaned some of it on Sunday, hence why I know it's that bad.

 
rottenugly is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #147
rottenugly
Banned
 
Location: its a gas
Posts: 2,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
that doesn't mean he can't clean the basement or put the door back.
I'm telling you, this isn't a typical father, after my mother had surgery, he tossed a bowl of cereal in her face, guy's a real asshole, it's best if I don't talk to him or don't talk about him because it makes me upset.

 
rottenugly is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #148
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 12,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenugly View Post
I'm telling you, this isn't a typical father, after my mother had surgery, he tossed a bowl of cereal in her face, guy's a real asshole, it's best if I don't talk to him or don't talk about him because it makes me upset.
dude some kind of sociopath?

 
dean_r_koontz is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #149
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 12,657
Default

we should send some of the netphorian knuckleheads over there to kick his ass. like D and whatcolor.

 
dean_r_koontz is offline
Old 10-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #150
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 32,240
Default

and 1fatslug

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Look here if you want to bore yourself with the depression of a worthless boarder Deadeyes General Chat Archive 30 05-12-2014 12:12 AM
Poll: 60% say depression 'likely' Andrew_Pakula General Chat Archive 22 05-10-2014 01:18 AM
McCain picks Sarah Palin as VP Tchocky General Chat Archive 997 06-09-2009 07:24 PM
how can you think the New Deal exacerbated the depression and at the same time think Debaser General Chat Archive 7 03-18-2009 06:01 PM
Do you have a loved one suffering from manic depression? paranoid General Chat Archive 40 06-27-2007 10:17 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 PM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2020