Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #121
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan
Awesome.
Another example, as to why you are a stupid fuck.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:31 PM   #122
MonkeyMan
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Another example, as to why you are a stupid fuck.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #123
markpregen
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIDAge
our inventory system shows the following...
ZEITGEIST SPECIAL EDITION
$13.99
comes out 10/16/07
it is listed under CD
not DVD
so i do not know if a DVD is in the package.
if the DVD is full length $13.99 is worth it for the DVD alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIDAge
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo_91
if a cd has a bonus dvd does it show as cd/dvd?
like st anger for example?
usually says it in the description.
this did not.
i'll check tomorrow on st. anger or moby 18 (another CD w/ a DVD extra)
st. anger,U2,moby are all listed under CD but they all have bonus DVD's..
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....cp=1&id=235080
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1401602
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1337999

Old 09-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #124
smashapumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

how'd you get that footage of esty?

Old 09-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #125
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Hey costra, how about you stop posting old youtube vids, and actually reply to the points I made in this thread, if you can.

I'll try and stop in tomorrow and see what bullshit you post back, not like I expect you to say anything that can defend corgan.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #126
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashapumpkin
how'd you get that footage of esty?

He's a peeping tom, i've filed various restraining orders against him. Dude needs to get himself a girlfriend, boyfriend, or maybe even a loving pet. Whatever floats his boat.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #127
Mouths of Babes
Ownz

Esty sure seems like one heck of a miserable person. That poor poor generation...

Old 09-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #128
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaddrow
Why does anyone actually think that Corgan had anything to do with releasing the album in this many formats? You people have no idea how the record industry works, or is working to try to increase sales by using every gimmick they can think of.
Eh, if it were purely down to the record label then you'd expect the same thing to happen with all the popular bands of the moment - not just a band who've been broken up for 7 years and who reached their sales peak in the mid 90s. I know this kind of thing happens to some extent with other bands, but the multi-version gotta catch 'em all extreme of Zeitgeist seems pretty unprecedented. If it's purely a label decision and it works, they'd do it all the time. If it's purely a label decision and an experiment, why try it with a band whose sales aren't a sure thing?

And anyway, you could say the label said 'ok we're going to use these songs recorded during the sessions to make some special editions', but this DVD sounds like it has much broader scope and had Billy's planning and involvement from the beginning, not something the label could just lay claim to and use as they see fit. And why make it a Best Buy exclusive? Unless there are going to be multiple DVD versions it would make more sense for the label to make it as widely-available as possible, so it may have been part of the deal from the start

Old 09-29-2007, 11:12 PM   #129
ckeegan
Demi-God

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouths of Babes
Esty sure seems like one heck of a miserable person. That poor poor generation...
Kid, grow a dick. Seriously.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:38 PM   #130
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousJ
Eh, if it were purely down to the record label then you'd expect the same thing to happen with all the popular bands of the moment - not just a band who've been broken up for 7 years and who reached their sales peak in the mid 90s. I know this kind of thing happens to some extent with other bands, but the multi-version gotta catch 'em all extreme of Zeitgeist seems pretty unprecedented. If it's purely a label decision and it works, they'd do it all the time. If it's purely a label decision and an experiment, why try it with a band whose sales aren't a sure thing?

And anyway, you could say the label said 'ok we're going to use these songs recorded during the sessions to make some special editions', but this DVD sounds like it has much broader scope and had Billy's planning and involvement from the beginning, not something the label could just lay claim to and use as they see fit. And why make it a Best Buy exclusive? Unless there are going to be multiple DVD versions it would make more sense for the label to make it as widely-available as possible, so it may have been part of the deal from the start
All good points. Glad I actually kept reading this thread - not a total waste... :

If it IS a Best Buy exclusive (has that part been confirmed?), I expect there to be mega advertising in store and tv. The exclusive part does seem a little odd in general, I hope they have some real plan for this.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:26 AM   #131
Mouths of Babes
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan
Kid, grow a dick. Seriously.
Ah, a perfectly fitting response! Good job, kiddo. Seriously.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #132
werideatdusk
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85
All good points. Glad I actually kept reading this thread - not a total waste... :

If it IS a Best Buy exclusive (has that part been confirmed?), I expect there to be mega advertising in store and tv. The exclusive part does seem a little odd in general, I hope they have some real plan for this.
Best Buy gets a lot of exclusive stuff, some they advertise, some they don't. I remember a few years back, they had an exclusive 4-DVD live thing for the Rolling Stones ("Four Licks") and they had a lot of commercials for it. Not sure what we can expect here, but it's not unprecedented to have a band do an entire project just for one chain. Sad, but not new.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:11 AM   #133
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Location: I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

Quote:
He's a peeping tom, i've filed various restraining orders against him. Dude needs to get himself a girlfriend, boyfriend, or maybe even a loving pet. Whatever floats his boat.
how many restraining orders, would you say

Old 09-30-2007, 02:30 AM   #134
Chuck=Zero
Apocalyptic Poster

Arrow The retail stores, not Billy or Warner Bros., may to be blame for "exclusive" stuff.

Seems that everyone thinks the enemy when it comes to the multiple versions of Zeitgeist being released is either Billy or the record label. While both parties most likely agreed to the multi-colored, bonus track versions of the album and the forthcoming DVD release, they could have been forced to do these things to oblidge the retailers, namely iTunes, Best Buy, and Target. While Best Buy & Target might not have to demand this "exclusive" content, Apple's iTunes music store does demand such special content from the record companies & artists. In an article in the Sept. 20 issue of Rolling Stone, "How iTunes Conquered the Music Bizz," Brian Hiatt points out that major artists are forced to provide a main retailer, in this case iTunes, exclusive content like bonus or live tracks, in order for them to promote their album (like SP had with Zeitgeist, the big banner on the music store's homepage). So while an artist & record label might not have any intention to in-clude bonus crap with their albums, they are forced to put somethin' together to appease the major retailers, like iTunes, because they account for so much of the music sales industry. iTunes, for one, has artists and labels by the balls because the music store is so powerful and it sells the music on the cheap, the labels have been trying to get iTunes to break out of the 99 cents/song, $9.99/album structure that's hurting the industry, which would like to charge as much as $2.50/song, or at least "hit" songs.

So I guess you could still blame Billy and Warner Bros. for "giving in" to Best Buy, Target, and iTunes, but I don't considering the lose/lose situation musicians and their labels are in these days. If they go along with what the retailers want, they increase their sales, but alienate some fans, mostly the diehards. But if they choose to do their own thing, they'll please the fans but get hurt big time financially. As for this DVD version of the album, I'm gonna have to listen to some reviews of it before I buy. If it's just a shitty collaborration of "behind-the-scenes" footage, like "A Day in the Life," I won't bother buying another version of this okay album.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:48 AM   #135
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

to sum up this thread: anyone trying to make money=teh evil

Old 09-30-2007, 02:54 AM   #136
MrPantyFAce
Apocalyptic Poster

i bet it will have tid buying bits of other unreleased songs like the useless zwan dvd...ive quit cd's in favour of vinyl (except for local bands).... will there be a vinyl/laserdisc version too?

Last edited by MrPantyFAce : 09-30-2007 at 03:03 AM.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:33 AM   #137
silent_brian13
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev
because if he really cared or wanted to he could fight it like others have, eg. trent reznor. they tried to pull the same shit with year zero, and he said no.
did you ask trent this personally?

and are you aware of the special editions of all his other albums? i have like 3 versions of the downward spiral right now.

the record labels and companies have far more power over how an album is distributed, an artist just can't say "no".trent didn't say no. he just wasn't told that anything special needed to be made...yet.

like the itunes thing below, there is more than meets the eye. hate the labels. not the bands.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #138
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_brian13

and are you aware of the special editions of all his other albums? i have like 3 versions of the downward spiral right now.
Weren't they all released at different points since its original release?

Old 09-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #139
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarski
i know, honey. im sorry i can only give you so much ok?
I guess its too much hassle for you to actually have some sort of an intelligent reply when i'm being serious. Its probably because you have nothing to say against what I said.

You should have stuck with the costra name, if all you were going to do in the end, is be a stupid troll.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #140
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

yep 1. the original
10th anniversary release:
2. 2-CD Deluxe Edition , remixes, bsides, non-album tracks
3. DualDisc. digitally remastered version of the album + DVD side hi-res sound + videos

Old 09-30-2007, 11:08 PM   #141
stripes
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 10-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #142
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

I thought you had been cautioned about the smilies

Old 10-01-2007, 12:12 AM   #143
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Quote:
check this article out, it might answer your question

Old 10-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #144
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

god those shows were good

Old 10-01-2007, 12:20 AM   #145
silent_brian13
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
um, like when trent was running out of money because his manager took a bunch? who says trent doesn't do things for cash.

and while we are at it, who the fuck cares either way. both of these dudes JOBS is to make music.

more power to them. we are the idiots that buy it if it sucks or not. and if it sucks is all opinion anyway.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:29 AM   #146
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Quote:
um, like when trent was running out of money because his manager took a bunch? who says trent doesn't do things for cash.

and while we are at it, who the fuck cares either way. both of these dudes JOBS is to make music.

more power to them. we are the idiots that buy it if it sucks or not. and if it sucks is all opinion anyway.
what are you rambling on about

Old 10-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #147
silent_brian13
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactlythesame
what are you rambling on about
everyone bitching about having to buy a bunch of albums.

people saying that trents motives are different than billys are different than most peoples who make millions off of music.

the only point i really wanted to make was those other versions (of downward spiral) came out when trent was down on money because his manager stole a bunch. no one points that out.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:40 AM   #148
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

hearsay

Old 10-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #149
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

you know i is only playin'

Old 10-01-2007, 12:47 AM   #150
silent_brian13
Apocalyptic Poster

After the release of the fourth studio album from Nine Inch Nails, The Fragile (1999), Reznor's drug usage increased, and Malm launched a civil suit for $2 million worth of unpaid commissions throughout Reznor's career. Countering this, Reznor filed a $10 million suit against Malm for gross financial malfeasance.[1] Reznor claimed that Malm had tricked him into agreeing to pay him 20% of his gross earnings, rather than the net earnings as is industry practice.[2] He claimed that over his recording career he had often been highly influenced by drugs, and that Malm had used this to his advantage to get Reznor's signature on various financial documents. The counter-suit further alleged that their contract permitted Malm to continue to indefinitely collect commissions. Malm's attorney Alan Hirth alleged that Malm had worked without pay for Reznor for many of the early years, and "kept nothing from Reznor."[3]

In 2005 a New York court ordered Malm to repay $2.95 million in lost earnings and damages to Reznor.

The special edition of The Downward Spiral came out while they were in court, when he would need the money. Hmm.

BUt again, heresay.