Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #121
lightdark
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtSampson View Post
the way the line "I just can't help say so" where the "kuh" in "can't" sounds like he has a wad of phlegm in his throat is the most vile thing I've ever heard on a Pumpkins record
Wasn't that the first instance of his inability to connect the first consonant of a word to the rest of the word too? It seems like forever we've had to put up with "t.ime, is never t.ime at all"

Old 08-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #122
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I can't remember if he was doing it on the TFE tour, but it was definitely noticeable by Zeitgeist tour. He seems to be trying to do it less in the last two years, and it makes me wonder if he has spent time with a vocal coach. I think it's more of a weird tic or problem he is having with his voice than something he is doing intentionally.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:44 AM   #123
thedeadofnight
Ownz

I think it's definitely intentional, just another example of his ego running wild and free. I mean listen to the way he pronounces "here" in Solara..."haayyaahh"

Old 09-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #124
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

If you ask billy about the vocal coach on ig- it's likely to get blocked immediately.
Im sure he'd feel insulted.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #125
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Well, since Billy had the balls to bring fucking HANSON out on stage with him (and forever ruin the Pumpkins' amazing cover of Landslide), I think maybe we have a new contender for the lowest point in the band's history. Mark McGrath's stupid appearance in the Silvery video is also a good contender (as is the entire video itself).

Old 12-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #126
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

One shitty performance doesn't kill a good song

None of this is as bad as releasing Teargarden

Old 12-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #127
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Y'all hate Mark McGrath way too much

Old 12-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #128
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

There isn't enough hate in the world to hate McGrath and Hanson "too much."

Old 12-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #129
myosis
Minion of Satan

no really, there is no point in hating hanson so much

Old 12-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #130
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Make love not hate.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #131
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

nadir (so far) i think would be the two videos from S&OSB:v1:NP.NF.NS

really, really bad

Old 12-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #132
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post

really, really bad
Yeah, but at the same time they're actually showing potential live.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #133
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post

really, really bad
worse than the Owata video?

Old 12-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #134
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
There isn't enough hate in the world to hate McGrath and Hanson "too much."
I guess I just don't get this. I don't understand what Mark McGrath or Hanson have done to deserve such unbridled hate... they're just pop musicians. The guys in Hanson at least are really talented singers. The performance was awful but it's whatever. That anyone could think anything happening now is worse than 2009-2011 is really beyond my understanding

Old 12-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #135
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i'll take any of those big Sugar Ray singles over the majority of Billy's last 3-4 albums tbh

What can i say i love 90s POP

Old 12-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #136
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

but yeah my uh, 2 cents on this thread: despite being an apologist for some of the tracks, i would have to say absolutely the Teargarden era. From Jimmy quitting to the firing of Mike & Nicole. Anyone who says the fuckin' Shiny era is just flat-out wrong, there has at least been some hope & good spirits involved with that. As a new fan, the Teargarden era was generally, genuinely depressing

Old 12-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #137
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I guess I just don't get this. I don't understand what Mark McGrath or Hanson have done to deserve such unbridled hate... they're just pop musicians. The guys in Hanson at least are really talented singers. The performance was awful but it's whatever. That anyone could think anything happening now is worse than 2009-2011 is really beyond my understanding
I don't really hate them that much, it's just fun to bash them. I do hate Hanson's music though; talented singers though they may be, I still think their songs are garbage. Sugar Ray actually had a few pop rock songs I didn't mind back in the day. In the case of McGrath, it's more his persona that I just find so off-putting. He just comes off like a raging dickbag whenever I see him anywhere.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #138
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

that's part of the beauty of it, innit

dude practically had a nu-metal attitude but was crankin' out these perfect summer pop songs every year - truly a match made in heaven

Old 12-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #139
redbreegull

Jimmy leaving in 2009 was really hurtful. I don't mean to be melodramatic, but it really was the ultimate let down. We had all waited so fuckin long for the band to finally get back together, the new songs seemed good, the band was playing well live, and then Billy just alienated Jimmy again. If you weren't paying attention in this era, it's hard to even describe how upsetting this was. To me, this is when the spirit of the band died.

Listening to the music from this point to 2011 in hindsight, it's more than just bad. It really sounds like Billy was having a total mental breakdown. Not only is it a terrible "album," it's honestly one of the worst albums I have ever heard. Imagine being told there was going to be one song a month, in the first four months you get song for a dong, astral planes, and widow, and then there is complete radio silence for ten months until the next drip of awful material. It was excruciating.

So no, really nothing will ever be worse than TGBK 09-11

Old 12-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #140
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Yeah that announcement of Jimmy quitting was tough even for someone who'd just gotten into the band 2 yrs prior

Old 12-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #141
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

house of ass called me "fuzzy" for my Sugar Ray comment above

such a sadness that one can not unironically love some big HITS without being shamed in such a way, truly the nadir of the board

(not really, but fuck you hoa!!!!!)

Old 12-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #142
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
that's part of the beauty of it, innit

dude practically had a nu-metal attitude but was crankin' out these perfect summer pop songs every year - truly a match made in heaven
LOL. Like I said before, it's like Stifler from American Pie became a rock star.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #143
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Jimmy leaving in 2009 was really hurtful. I don't mean to be melodramatic, but it really was the ultimate let down. We had all waited so fuckin long for the band to finally get back together, the new songs seemed good, the band was playing well live, and then Billy just alienated Jimmy again. If you weren't paying attention in this era, it's hard to even describe how upsetting this was.
Agreed.

2009/hiring Byrne etc. was the ultimate letdown.

2008 flashback:

Old 12-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #144
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Just seeing the art from TGBK gives me PTSD

Old 12-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #145
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
house of ass called me "fuzzy" for my Sugar Ray comment above

such a sadness that one can not unironically love some big HITS without being shamed in such a way, truly the nadir of the board

(not really, but fuck you hoa!!!!!)
OWNT

Old 12-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #146
lightdark
Pledge

Quote:
Jimmy leaving in 2009 was really hurtful. I don't mean to be melodramatic, but it really was the ultimate let down. We had all waited so fuckin long for the band to finally get back together, the new songs seemed good, the band was playing well live, and then Billy just alienated Jimmy again. If you weren't paying attention in this era, it's hard to even describe how upsetting this was. To me, this is when the spirit of the band died.

Listening to the music from this point to 2011 in hindsight, it's more than just bad. It really sounds like Billy was having a total mental breakdown. Not only is it a terrible "album," it's honestly one of the worst albums I have ever heard. Imagine being told there was going to be one song a month, in the first four months you get song for a dong, astral planes, and widow, and then there is complete radio silence for ten months until the next drip of awful material. It was excruciating.

So no, really nothing will ever be worse than TGBK 09-11
I'm with you on this, 100%. The combination of the broken promises for the timescale between each song, the lack of communication and the piss-poor quality of the songs when they did appear was soul-destroying.

In terms of the quality of the songs, too, it was just everything about them. The songwriting, the production choices, the recording quality, all of it. It was so below the bar of what you'd expect from even a mediocre local band that it was baffling to think that this was from the same guy that gave us all those classics.

What really pissed me off at the time too, perhaps unfairly, is that wasn't this shortly after he sold Today to that commercial to fund getting his own studio? If that's the case, there is absolutely no reason why the promised timescale wasn't adhered to. It's not like the dude had a regular 9-5 keeping him busy. I had literally no good will left for him at the end of that.

I still think releasing Solara as SAOSB's lead single was a dumb idea, but it is universes away from the appalling shitshow that was the TBK era.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #147
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Multiple Teargarden songs are better than Solara.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #148
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

lol

Old 12-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #149
lightdark
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Multiple Teargarden songs are better than Solara.
Certainly. But at least you have someone who doesn't sound like they're falling over a drum kit holding the beat together on Solara, and there's no My-Little-Pony-Synth drowning all the other instruments out.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #150
redbreegull

The only 09-11 TGBK songs better than Solara are Freak and Tom Tom. Those two had SOME promise deep inside them but the rest were beyond horseshit

Z was a letdown but when the TGBK songs started coming out, it seemed like it couldn't even be real. It HAD to be a joke, right? Right???