Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-09-2016, 11:09 PM   #91
iB0lly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Except the system is inherently flawed and unfair. But you're right, why change this old age tradition in exchange for fairness?

pfft
Ok well, if you think the process is truly rigged, then there is another process that allows you to change the rigged process. Start a petition, get the attention of your local US Rep, get them to introduce an amendment to the Constitution, lobby 2/3 of the House and Senate to pass it, then lobby 3/4 of states to pass it.

You could be the next person to start a revolution.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:19 PM   #92
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
looks like Michigan was the deciding state. Early totals show trump winning Michigan by 60,000 votes. However, 160,000 people voted Libertarian. Another 50,000 voted Green Party. Third party candidates handed the presidency to Trump.

This is almost identical to 2000 when Bush won Florida because of third party votes. I know a LOT of people who voted Libertarian this year because they thought Clinton would win. They'd never have done so if they thought the state would fall to trump. I had (past tense) one friend who spent all night tonight on FB bragging about voting against Clinton for "payback" for beating sanders in the primary. Of course, these are all cisgender white men who have little to lose.

I have LGBTQ friends in Michigan who are terrified right now. Some of them are now married. It's very likely that within a couple of years the new GOP court will take their rights away completely. There are half a million arab and persian immigrants in Michigan. They're terrified.

My biggest worry right now is economic. If the GOP gets their way on the next budget we're in for a seriously horrible economic patch that will make brexit look like a joke. In the morning i'm moving all of my 401k into low risk. Buy Gold now. Bury your silver in the back yard. Head East to Canada as soon as possible!

Old 11-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #93
myosis
Minion of Satan

so did scotty sell in the morning like he said? just before it went back up?

Old 11-09-2016, 11:31 PM   #94
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
It's a shitty choice not gonna lie.

But I do prefer her over a sexist, racist, bigoted, hateful proto-fascist.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #95
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
but scotty thinks their vote doesn't belong to them, rather they belong to him and to his choice of candidate.

Hence why I don't attach the term Communist to him lightly.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:48 PM   #96
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iB0lly View Post
And exactly how is taking away health insurance for 20 mil and starting up coal power plants going to lay the seeds for doing a good job?

O'care premiums are skyrocketing on the working class and you can't subsidize your way out of the problem because that money comes from taxes and what's left of the middle class america is just about taxed out of existence.

Technically we'd had universal health care, but it would be paramount to the old soviet eastern bloc ones, where they'd just let old people die in the streets. What's most amazing is the lack of education towards these collectivist centralized authoritarian methods and their utter failure over the last century.

But hey, Hillary was gonna double down on it all and liberals ate it up just like the tens of millions of old soviet style communist who were also too ignorant to understand the demagogic tactics of their rulers.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:28 AM   #97
myosis
Minion of Satan

you're really quite obsessed with communists

Old 11-10-2016, 12:34 AM   #98
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I'm a liberal communist fascist libertarian establishment centrist.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:34 AM   #99
Disco King
Minion of Satan

That's why I advocated for Clinton.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:37 AM   #100
fuzzyroes
Banned

Don't worry DK, In time you're going to learn how to respect, honor and look up to President Trump.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:39 AM   #101
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
looks like Michigan was the deciding state. Early totals show trump winning Michigan by 60,000 votes. However, 160,000 people voted Libertarian. Another 50,000 voted Green Party. Third party candidates handed the presidency to Trump.

This is almost identical to 2000 when Bush won Florida because of third party votes. I know a LOT of people who voted Libertarian this year because they thought Clinton would win. They'd never have done so if they thought the state would fall to trump. I had (past tense) one friend who spent all night tonight on FB bragging about voting against Clinton for "payback" for beating sanders in the primary. Of course, these are all cisgender white men who have little to lose.
All the stuff I've seen has Trump winning without Michigan - what am I missing, here.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:36 AM   #102
Disco King
Minion of Satan

This lady assigns you to assemble a crack team of progressives to fix the fragmented American Left and save the country. Who do you choose?

Also I'd put Zizek on it so that he would be the guy who ends up dying.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:17 AM   #103
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I guess Bernie because Warren has more years left to live.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:49 AM   #104
Elphenor
Braindead

We need loudmouth obnoxious fatass religious liberals like Michael Moore

The Bill Maher types fuck us

Noam Chomsky might as well be speaking another language

Warren is a woman

Old 11-10-2016, 02:52 AM   #105
Elphenor
Braindead

I mean MM is Noam Chomsky books translated into something average people understand

Old 11-10-2016, 03:20 AM   #106
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
You're allowed to think he'll be a good president, I guess, but couldn't your reason be something other than "he said so"?
I'm saying you should hope so.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #107
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Having it be an indirect system that has to go through the electoral college which in turn gives different states different weight in the election and ensure every voter's vote doesn't have the same importance.

Changing that would get rid of the absurd distortion that is the candidate with the majority of votes losing the election.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:21 AM   #108
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by iB0lly View Post
Ok well, if you think the process is truly rigged, then there is another process that allows you to change the rigged process. Start a petition, get the attention of your local US Rep, get them to introduce an amendment to the Constitution, lobby 2/3 of the House and Senate to pass it, then lobby 3/4 of states to pass it.

You could be the next person to start a revolution.
Won't happen because Republicans gain the most from the EC. Why would they vote it out when it's helped them gain two presidents in 20 years?

Old 11-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #109
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Lol

He said almost everything about everything leading up to this point.

“It’s always good to do things nice and complicated so that nobody can figure it out.” (The New Yorker, May 19, 1997)

“The simplest approach is often the most effective.” (Trump: The Art of the Deal, 1987)

“My attention span is short.” (Trump: Surviving at the Top, 1990)

“I have an attention span that’s as long as it has to be.” (Time, August 18, 2015)

“I’m totally pro-choice.” (Fox News, October 31, 1999)

“I’m pro-life.” (CPAC, February 10, 2011)

“Look, I’m very pro-choice. I hate the concept of abortion. I hate it. I hate everything it stands for. I cringe when I listen to people debating the subject, but you still—I just believe in choice. … I am strongly for choice, and yet I hate the concept of abortion. … I am pro-choice in every respect … but I just hate it.” (NBC News, October 24, 1999)

“I am very, very proud to say that I’m pro-life.” (Cleveland, Ohio, August 6, 2015)

“People are too trusting. I’m a very untrusting guy.” (Playboy, March 1990)

“Expect the best from people.” (Trump: Think Big, 2007)

“If you can avoid an altercation, do so.” (Trump: Think Like a Billionaire, 2004)

“If someone attacks you, do not hesitate. Go for the jugular.” (Trump: Think Big, 2007)

Old 11-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #110
vixnix
Socialphobic

There are a lot of reasons why Trump as president is disturbing

But up against Clinton...I have to say, for me - foreign policy isn't one of them.

Just wanted to put that out there.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #111
vixnix
Socialphobic

Well I did try to tell him that. Twice.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #112
LaBelle
Socialphobic

And everyone knows if something is hard to change, it's obviously right.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #113
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
This lady assigns you to assemble a crack team of progressives to fix the fragmented American Left and save the country. Who do you choose?

Also I'd put Zizek on it so that he would be the guy who ends up dying.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #114
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
We need loudmouth obnoxious fatass religious liberals like Michael Moore

The Bill Maher types fuck us

Noam Chomsky might as well be speaking another language

Warren is a woman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I mean MM is Noam Chomsky books translated into something average people understand
Yeah, I think one of the reasons the Democratic messaging was bad was because they weren't offering an alternative to Trump's appeal to uneducated white workers left behind by globalisation. They weren't saying, "look, these are the corporations that are fucking you over, and this is how we are going to help you fight back and improve your lot." Instead, it was, "Trump is insane and dumb and bigoted, only dumb people would like him." That was the DNC approach, and the Bill Maher-esque approach. I mean, that stuff is all true, but it offers no reason for these people to join your camp and fight for the cause that will actually benefit them instead. I can't say I'm chastising the Dems for this, because I've essentially been doing the exact same thing until the election results provided a wake-up call.

Cenk Uygar is one of the few leftists who was saying, "look, when you point out how Trump is bigoted and a loudmouth, you're just reinforcing the support of his supporters." Cenk instead tried to go for something that would actually make Trump's supporters abandon him, deflating the illusion Trump is some sort of successful, ambitious strongman who "gets things done." Pointing out his failures, like how all his businesses go belly-up, all the scams he's been involved in, all the times he's defaulted, how he's just a guy who got millions from his daddy and couldn't even manage them right. And his frail ego that causes him to lash out whenever it's slightly bruised.

Michael Moore, too, was another guy who called that this was going to happen, and was warning leftists not to overlook exactly why Trump is winning these people over, telling the Dems that they can't just be an establishment party.

I don't think Chomsky is too academic for regular folks. When you read his stuff, he's actually very anti-elitist and, though he cites facts and evidence impeccably, he does so in very plain language without a lot of jargon. He's very against what he sees as posturing in the academy. He's another guy who saw this coming six years ago. Of course, I don't expect his books to fly off the shelves and for average Americans to read them (most don't even read a book a year, and if they do, it's probably Harry Potter or The Hunger Games or something), but the guy, though being one of the most respected intellectuals of all time, has pretty much been blacklisted by the corporate media.

Chris Hedges a guy who I think has a tendency to "speak another language." I like him, but every time I listen to him, he peppers his speech with some theoretical jargon from Marxism or structuralism or some shit and name drops whatever professor coined the term. "It's post-hegemonic inverted totalitarian industrialism, like Dr. Sheldon Wolin spoke about. It's so obvious that it's occurring now." I dunno, I think a lot of what passes as "theory" in the humanities isn't actually "theory" in any sense I recognize, because there isn't a lot of verifiability, predictive power, or rigour. That's why I've never had much use for "theories" in this area. I prefer the Chomsky-esque approach of just telling it like it is and pointing out what governments and corporations are doing and revealing their lies, rather than having some sort of pseudo-scientific theory that's supposed to explain the world.

Micahel Moore, I've seen maybe a couple of his films, but lost interest, because even though I agree with his positions, he seems to use dishonesty in order to promote them. In both the films of his that I watched, he played around with the facts a little bit in order to support his points. In terms of messaging, though, he knows what he's doing. He's not like Bill Maher, standing on some stage telling everybody they're stupid. That rallies the people already on your side (like, I love watching that sort of shit), but does nothing for the people who aren't. Moore goes and talks to regular Americans, even those who may disagree with him, and tries to start a dialogue. That's what we need.

Last edited by Disco King : 11-10-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #115
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Useless leftists are those postmodern charlatan hackademics like Slavoj Žižek or Judith Butler who pretend to be radical by being obscuritan and suggesting provocative-sounding things but actually have nothing to say and hardly actually challenge any power structures.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #116
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I think one of the reasons the Democratic messaging was bad was because they weren't offering an alternative to Trump's appeal to uneducated white workers left behind by globalisation.

Just stop right there. A big part of the problem of Dem poli-thinking is adhering to dividing people into such sub-groups.

Uneducated means what exactly? The tone of this meme is insulting on the face of it and ironic. Outside of the hard sciences and other studies which demand merit for advancement of knowledge, the University system is a cesspool of loser marxist types.

The soft sciences have ruined colleges and the purpose for them in large part. It's not supposed to be a bunch of frustrated rock star poets who didn't have enough guts or talent to manifest their own feedback loop of followers, so they end up kissing ass in the bureaucratic homes of leftist "intellectual" ideologies where unsuspecting youth are forced to listen to the marxist drivel ad-nauseum.

And for what? A soft-degree and mountains of debt and a big ignorant chip on their shoulder?

Less educated means less brainwashed with less debt.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #117
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post

Less educated means less brainwashed with less debt.
really? in all cases? all the time?

you're just saying that because you're "uneducated".

Old 11-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #118
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
you're really quite obsessed with communists

Poll: Millennials desperately need to bone up on the history of communism

Old 11-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #119
myosis
Minion of Satan

i don't see how one can compare moore to chomsky

Old 11-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #120