Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #151
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

For your reading list, reprise:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-laura-spinney

Old 03-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #152
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i have about a month worth of emergency food in my apartment. If things get really bad I'll go to my girlfriend's. She has 6 months worth of food. We've agreed that if one of us gets sick we will stay apart and not put the other at risk.

I live less than a quarter mile from the white house. I have zero confidence in this government to help or save anyone. Especially people in The District. I suspect that when the outbreak hits DC the president will leave town and go somewhere where he'll be isolated from the general population and most of the staff of the White House. Like Putin's Dacha in the Crimea

Old 03-01-2020, 05:00 PM   #153
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I am really only worried about my parents. My step dad is immunocompromised and has a heart condition, and my mother is 70 and diabetic.

Unusually it doesn't seem to be hitting children under 10 like some other viruses do.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #154
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

in 70 countries now

Old 03-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #155
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
I am really only worried about my parents. My step dad is immunocompromised and has a heart condition, and my mother is 70 and diabetic.

Unusually it doesn't seem to be hitting children under 10 like some other viruses do.
same, my dad is 72 with heart problems and my mom is 70, no current complications with her though.

it is interesting about under 10. my 100% guess is part of it is since no one has immunity, it's not disproportionately affecting people who haven't had enough time to gain some immunity. but i really have no idea.

i think our best gauge of mortality is diamond princess, which has had 3706 passengers, 691 positive and 6 deaths (so far). deaths will likely go up as people who still have it are probably more likely to be in bad condition. there was some quarantine control of transmission possibly. but also more older people for sure than general pop. but, with those caveats, about 5% got it and a bit less than 1% of that has died so far.

that would be around 120k-150k deaths in the usa if those numbers translated to the general population. which i'm not saying it will (though i think it's likely much more than 5% of the country will get it eventually). just for perspective

Old 03-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #156
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I went to a dinner party tonight where one of the guests was saying that China created the germ because their government wanted to stop the US from importing bibles that didn't alter the name of Jesus. I only ate and drank what I brought to the party after that.
"Hey, Chen, grab one of the Bibles out of that crate and tell me what John 14:6 says."

"It reads… 'Doug E. Fresh saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.'"

"Let them in."

Old 03-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #157
ilikeplanets
Braindead

The friend of that Jesus lady I mentioned is going full gas mask around the Grocery Outlet, and only buying frozen foods that he is removing from the packaging outside his home. Along with his clothes. Ya can't miss him!

Old 03-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #158
myosis
Minion of Satan

there were many canadians on the diamond princess, and what we heard is that the protocol followed was horribly sloppy and chaotic. many people had no access to masks or used improper masks. one person administering tests was infected.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #159
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

If South Korea’s numbers are fairly accurate, 3,100 cases and 17 deaths (so far) means a mortality rate of under 1%. More people could die, but at the same time there are probably cases where people are infected but the symptoms aren’t severe enough for them to seek medical attention to be officially diagnosed.

Last edited by duovamp : 03-02-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #160
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Smile

tbh the virus doesn't stand a chance in s. korea. most of them are already fully immunized due to a steady diet of soju and kimchee. that virus made a critical error when it chose to hit the peninsula.

rip coronavirus.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #161
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Except for the increasing number of infections, you're right

Old 03-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #162
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
If South Korea’s numbers are fairly accurate, 3,100 cases and 17 deaths (so far) means a mortality rate of under 1%. More people could die, but at the same time there are probably cases where people are infected but the symptoms aren’t severe enough for them to seek medical attention to be officially diagnosed.
I agree that's promising, but it's definitely premature. They're doing a good job testing, so we're 2-3 weeks behind on deaths if they're catching people before they are very sick. It's surely better to catch people at that point regardless, and it is awesome that it's under 1% and it would be Very Bad if it was higher. I'd trust that number way more than places with much a much higher mortality rate like Iran (4%) and... the USA, at this point (unclear but about 6/100 so about 6%). It's probably closer to 1 than 6, that's for sure. Italy is about 2.5%, Japan above 2%

Last edited by reprise85 : 03-02-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:06 PM   #163
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i'm sure you guys have heard... 4 new usa deaths and new cases in the NE, Florida, TX, Michigan, Illinois, Nebraska. Likely in all or most lower 48 states

Old 03-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #164
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Are we doing a betting thing for First Netphorian Infection?

Old 03-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #165
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

wash your hands before posting here, plz

Old 03-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #166
buzzard
Minion of Satan

You're one of those gig people, so you're fucked. Rest in piss, you Abel Tasman motherfucker.

Everybody that doesn't work in hospitality is shielded by their asociality.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #167
ovary
Ownz

my wife's friend was over with her baby last night touching everything in our house and she called today to say they're both flu-like. headed to beer store now. need to do corona on corona

Old 03-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #168
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

we should all probably be washing our phones too. like, the outsides

Old 03-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #169
Disco King
Minion of Satan

So, I guess experts are saying that it's very unlikely that this will be contained, and it will become an endemic disease just like the cold and flu.

A vaccine being available in a year's time is an optimistic projection.

I'm kind of curious as to how many people have died of the regular flu since the first known novel coronavirus infection. I understand that this new disease is about ten times deadlier than the flu, though hearing "this many thousands died in China, this many tens died in Italy," etc. would probably be put in perspective for me if I knew how many died of the flu in that same amount of time. Like, it's hard to tell where this will fall between a "it sucks because more people are going to be dying from a new disease, but for most of us, life will just kinda go on" thing, and a "BRING OUT YOUR DEAD, BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!" thing.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #170
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Like, is this going to be on the scale of cancer deaths, where all of us know at least one person who has died of cancer? As far as I know, I've never personally known anybody who's died of the flu, so flu deaths are kind of a remote "I know it's a thing because I've read about it" problem in my mind, like dying of starvation or cholera.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:43 PM   #171
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I agree that's promising, but it's definitely premature. They're doing a good job testing, so we're 2-3 weeks behind on deaths if they're catching people before they are very sick. It's surely better to catch people at that point regardless, and it is awesome that it's under 1% and it would be Very Bad if it was higher. I'd trust that number way more than places with much a much higher mortality rate like Iran (4%) and... the USA, at this point (unclear but about 6/100 so about 6%). It's probably closer to 1 than 6, that's for sure. Italy is about 2.5%, Japan above 2%
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1...072496128?s=20
Quote:
BREAKING: South Korea reports 477 new cases of coronavirus and 6 new deaths, raising total to 4,812 cases and 34 dead
Quote:
Knowing that SK has had the most expansive testing, that puts the death incidence at 0.7%. Perhaps with early testing, the death toll has been much lower because of early diagnosis. They seem to be doing everything right.

Quote:
i'm sure you guys have heard... 4 new usa deaths and new cases in the NE, Florida, TX, Michigan, Illinois, Nebraska. Likely in all or most lower 48 states
Apparently it's most likely been spreading in the US for weeks already.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:24 PM   #172
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Like, is this going to be on the scale of cancer deaths, where all of us know at least one person who has died of cancer? As far as I know, I've never personally known anybody who's died of the flu, so flu deaths are kind of a remote "I know it's a thing because I've read about it" problem in my mind, like dying of starvation or cholera.
definitely not out of the question

Old 03-02-2020, 11:25 PM   #173
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:

Apparently it's most likely been spreading in the US for weeks already.
yeah, of course it has. i really don't understand why we weren't and still aren't testing

Old 03-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #174
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Because it’s a liberal hoax designed to tank the Dow Jones!

Old 03-03-2020, 08:12 AM   #175
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Just checking in. I figured everyone in this thread would be dead by now.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #176
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

No my life is being sustained by BIG HAND SANITIZER.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #177
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Quote:
we should all probably be washing our phones too. like, the outsides
A surprising amount of people don't know that you can both charge and sanitize your phone in the microwave

Old 03-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #178
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
No my life is being sustained by BIG HAND SANITIZER.
No one ever thinks to sanitize the little hand.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #179
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Is that supposed to be a joke?

Old 03-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #180
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

No. Are you?

Closed Thread