Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2014, 02:26 AM   #31
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter

That interview made me a little excited for Day for Night.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:59 AM   #32
fuzzyroes
Banned

yeah, Atleast he said everything song was different. Gives me some hope that their might be a few songs I'll really enjoy.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:02 AM   #33
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
I'm sure no one will notice that nobody is.

A friend of mine remarked upon looking at the vid that it looks like it is "take your 20-something girlfriend to work day".
Well, you know, A lot of wealthy and famous people enjoy the company of young women. I can understand it. People grow cynical and carry around baggage as they age, so theres something to be said for having a relationship with a younger companion. I really couldn't see Billy hooking up with some lady who's approaching 50 like he is.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #34
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

What are you, like 12, fuzzy? Besides, Billy is the epitomy of cynical and full of baggage.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #35
T&T
Socialphobic

most millennials aren't banging 50 year old former rockstars?

Old 10-24-2014, 04:34 AM   #36
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
‘Monuments to an Elegy’ is the first of two albums that you’ve said will be released within a one-year period. What is inspiring this output of music in a relatively short amount of time?

Billy Corgan: “My goal was having the impetus for a double record. But thinking of how it would be consumed in a surface-level culture made me want to split the work apart: which in itself has changed the process, writing, and review.”
The problem of this guy is the fact he is constantly thinking on money and success. He does not act naturally which in arts is a must.
If he has a double album to put out, fuck just put it out, do it with the heart!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #37
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Ein von @montelds gepostetes Video am

Old 10-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #38
amayain
Pledge

What a fucking creeper.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #39
DaveKShape
Ownz

"Which usually has one long songs."

Old 10-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #40
T&T
Socialphobic

"one long songs."

Old 10-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #41
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

For some reason Ram's post really tickled me but I think it's better this way

Quote:
Q: "Monuments To An Elegy" is the first of two albums that you've said will be released within a one-year period. What is inspiring this output of music in a relatively short amount of time?

Billy Corgan: My goal was having the impetus for a double record.
http://i.imgur.com/UN7f6.gif

Quote:
Q: "Monuments To An Elegy" seems to sonically encompass the different eras of SMASHING PUMPKINS, definitely underlining the majestic and hard guitar sounds as well as keyboard/synth textures. What were you hoping to musically achieve with this album?

Billy Corgan: I rarely go into an album thinking what it "has to be."

Quote:
Q: What inspired you to ask Tommy Lee to play drums on "Monuments To An Elegy"? What do you feel he has brought to the music?

Billy Corgan: The songs, in demo form, had a strut --

Quote:
Q: Can you talk about the contributions of guitarist Jeff Schroeder, who's now been in the band since 2007, to "Monuments To An Elegy"?

Billy Corgan: To Jeff's own admittance, it's --

Quote:
Q: What do you feel producer Howard Willing, who you first worked with on the "Adore" sessions, has brought to "Monuments To An Elegy"? The sound has grandeur and intimacy, always a trademark of SMASHING PUMPKINS.

Billy Corgan: Howard lives in the real world --

Quote:
Q: Thematically, how would you describe the songs on "Monuments To An Elegy"? Your singer-songwriter introspective sensibility is in full effect here. There's the directness/vulnernability of "Run2me", the fractured romance of "Being Beige", and in "Drum + Fife", there's the repeated line, "I will bang this drum until my dying day."

Billy Corgan: That I can't speak to --
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-P7QZbY76Bd...es-nodding.gif

Quote:
Q: How will the second album, "Day For Night", be different from "Monuments To An Elegy"?

Billy Corgan: We're --

Old 10-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #42
dodoz
Demi-God

How many times did he say "kinda"?

Also, if "Being beige" is an "epic yearning song", what will the disco track be ? Scary thought.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #43
dodoz
Demi-God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BqehJT4Q8o&t=1m48s

"It's nice to have an album that people like for a change, that's a new experience in the 21st century for me". He said the exact same thing about "Oceania"!

Old 10-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #44
thedeadofnight
Ownz

Any sign of MTAE previews going up yet?

Old 10-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #45
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spira|_ View Post
The problem of this guy is the fact he is constantly thinking on money and success. He does not act naturally which in arts is a must.
I don't think he was any less driven by a need for success when making Gish, SD, or MCIS. His hard work came out of a need for perfection, in order to prove to his family and school peers that he was not the worthless piece of shit that they treated him like, to show them that they're the losers and he's gonna be the biggest rock star ever. When he just tries to live in the moment, enjoy existence, and channel his inner artist he loses his way.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #46
T&T
Socialphobic

but billy quite a big loser today. I'm pretty sure he still has all those things still to prove.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #47
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, he's still trying to prove his own importance. What I really take issue with is that Billy still thinks he's a counter-culture icon and that he truly believes that he's one of the few people in the music world pushing the envelope or creating "dangerous" music. I don't know how he can honestly sit there and run his mouth and still go on about it after releasing a song like "being beige." If he didn't hold himself up as a beacon for counter-culture then nobody would have any problem with it, but there he is still running his mouth, criticizing everyone else while releasing coldplay inspired tunes.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #48
T&T
Socialphobic

Being Beige is counter culture. I don't know any other artist in the alternative rock scene willing to be so lame.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #49
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

looking for any of the 40 promo interviews he supposedly did for the new album, this is all I found.

so did they seriously send him to Berlin and London and New York, and all that comes out of it is a BBC radio segment and some red carpet banter?

Old 10-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #50
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian zombie vampires View Post
if SP was only their 4 minute songs none of us would be here.

I would have been. Name pretty much any 6 minutes+ SP song, none, i don't think, was ever in my favorites. That's the thing with SP, they had a lot of different things for everyone. I remember when i first joined netphoria in 1999 being a bit baffled sometimes as to what songs people really liked. Songs i skipped.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #51
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post

r?
i really don't get the Iha Darcy idolizing that goes on in the SP fan community. You have to be pretty deluded to think they'd make any difference. And why can't people make peace with the fact that people have it and lose it? It's pretty fucking well documented in the history of rock. there is no, not now, not ever, going back. None. Ever. Listen to something else. Stop caring. I personally reconciled myself with the fact Robert Smith was never again gonna write a half decent song like 14 years ago (i say this because The cure is probably my fav band of all time) and havent touched one record he did since bloodflowers and i live fine. Get the fuck over it people.

Also..this kind of thing must lose all its (potential) funny when you can actually understand the language, i'd imagine. :-p

Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #52
s0ss
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
I would have been. Name pretty much any 6 minutes+ SP song, none, i don't think, was ever in my favorites. That's the thing with SP, they had a lot of different things for everyone. I remember when i first joined netphoria in 1999 being a bit baffled sometimes as to what songs people really liked. Songs i skipped.
Thru the Eyes of Ruby, you don't like, get the fuck out of here.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #53
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

didn't say don't like. But in my favorites? never was. Anyway for further reference, i have no business being here but yet i keep coming.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #54
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:

Also..this kind of thing must lose all its (potential) funny when you can actually understand the language, i'd imagine. :-p
to the contrary, it works perfectly.
the subtitles say Crestfallen, Adolf says Stalin. Subtitles talk about Iha's solo record, Adolf speaks about "talking in vain". Bloody wrestling - "drowning in their own blood." I love this shit.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #55
pavementtune

At least he is fluent in Montese, the last blog posts make me think the English language is dead. Or not dead, but totally cool to slaughter it beyond recognition.

and for this sort of writing they seriously looked for Panopticon translators

"Jack Bruce, who's music inspired me"
"right means nothing without commerce until your dead"

Last edited by pavementtune : 10-30-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #56
pavementtune

I'm going learn some funny English skills from both of them.

Whatever happened to this vevo thing anyway? Were there any answers regarding MTAE?

Old 10-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #57
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
looking for any of the 40 promo interviews he supposedly did for the new album, this is all I found.

http://i.imgur.com/OJbm6hs.gif

That's fucking brilliant

I love that they actually tried to match up the subtitles to make it sound reasonable -- Steiner=Schroeder and stuff

Needed a bit more MB bashing IMO. Maybe someone could do that with the Fegelein clip

Last edited by Ram27 : 10-30-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #58
sneakyflutes
Pledge

Quote:
Uh, Silverfuck, Starla, TTEOR, XYU. And that's just off the top of my head.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #59
sneakyflutes
Pledge

Oh yeah and Porcelina.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #60
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

so did they seriously send him to Berlin and London and New York, and all that comes out of it is a BBC radio segment and some red carpet banter?
"Don't worry, Tommy Lee will save us."