Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #31
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarski View Post
No it didn't.
Yes it did. Corgan gained a ton of publicity with his so called "reunion". There's no way that Zeitgeist would have gained the attention that it did or even have been certified gold by the RIAA if it were released under the name "Billy Corgan" or "Zwan".

Billy was a few steps away from playing at local Pizza Huts, bar mitzvahs and delicatessens before he announced the reunion... and with the drab and insanity that he's spilled out over the past decade (yes, it's been that long now) he's right back where he was c. 2005. The once mighty SP name can't even headline, and can only barely break top 40 in the U.S.

And as it goes in the music business, if it worked once, it'll work a thousand times. So if some kind of new "reunion" were to be announced I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #32
myosis
Minion of Satan

so where are you arguing that it succeeded in promoting his solo album?

Old 06-23-2017, 11:41 PM   #33
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
so where are you arguing that it succeeded in promoting his solo album?

Announcing the reunion helped Billy's career as a whole is my point.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:49 PM   #34
slunken
Virgo

my point is that billy sucks, he's a turd, he doesn't release enough songs, and he tries to bleed his non-existent fanbase dry

Old 06-23-2017, 11:50 PM   #35
slunken
Virgo

go buy a hat, nerds

Old 06-24-2017, 04:42 AM   #36
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Lucky 13 project flashback:

https://youtu.be/8by66BINoj0?t=15m31s

Old 06-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #37
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy has multitracks of every show from Mellon Collie on. Holy smokes!

Old 06-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #38
Ram27
dumb

Drives me insane listening to that. I think he went on to say that he and the band spent thousands of dollars storing and maintaining those tapes in a warehouse somewhere. Well fucking throw them up online and make some of that back you fuck

Old 06-24-2017, 11:12 PM   #39
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post

Billy has multitracks of every show from Mellon Collie on. Holy smokes!
man they should be Grateful Deading that shit and they'd have a lot of my money

Old 06-24-2017, 11:12 PM   #40
TuralyonW3
Immortal

but no I guess he'd rather sell trucker hats

Old 06-25-2017, 04:31 AM   #41
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Drives me insane listening to that. I think he went on to say that he and the band spent thousands of dollars storing and maintaining those tapes in a warehouse somewhere. Well fucking throw them up online and make some of that back you fuck

Instead he's selling his personal CD collections from his worldwide travels:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DB5hlD5XoAUIG0d.jpg

Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 AM   #42
glass85
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
No activities regarding the SMASHING PUMPKINS.

On his birthday trainride Billy told his solo record to come out in September. A week ago, when someone asked him at the ZuZu's, he said this fall.
According to David Lagana a solo tour on it would follow 2018.

https://i.imgflip.com/1rhair.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Old 06-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #43
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post

i had a good time watching them bring out all his bass guitars which were tricked out
This is so bad.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #44
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
its your point now, but your post i was responding to was you suggesting his announcing SP's return worked in gaining traction for his solo album. the sp return announcement was the release date of 2005. if you're talking about zeitgeist, fine but thats a different conversation.
You're clearly confused. Corgan took out an add in the Chicago Tribune on the day that TheFutureEmbrace was released announcing his plans to "renew and revive" (note he didn't say "reform" or "reunite") the Pumpkins.

See: "A Message to Chicago from Billy Corgan" 06.21.2005 (just over 12 years ago as of this post)
http://www.spfc.org/news-press/artic...ontent_id=2177

It's no coincidence that Corgan had this published on the day of TFE's release. Having this kind of news published in a major newspaper in the nation's third largest market gave Corgan a lot of publicity, and his career (including TFE, Zeitgeist, etc.) gained a lot of attention because of it.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #45
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

http://www.cmt.com/shared/promoimage...i_times_ad.jpg

Old 06-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #46
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Thank you for posting this amoergosum. I was just about to do it when I saw your post.

As an aside, it's facinating how much Corgan has hyper-aged in the past 12 years. Corgan looks like he's aged 25 years in a little over a decade.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #47
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Never ending projects from over ten years ago:
“Encouraged by the musical progress of the record, I have already begun writing new songs for a subsequent solo album I hope to start by the end of this year.
Plans are still in the works to finish my „ChicagoSongs“ DVD, a group of songs about the city.
I’m also in the process of writing my life story…”

And D'ARCY had been asked on FOUR occasions to rejoin the band. Would be interesting to know when and how that has been without talking for seventeen years...

But last year she had to choose an obscure "interview" from her "non-working horse farm" to communicate her reclaimed interest to play again with the band:

http://blastecho.com/ex-smashing-pum...s-her-silence/

Ex-Smashing Pumpkin D’arcy Wretzky Breaks Her Silence
The reclusive bassist says she'd consider rejoining The Pumpkins under the right circumstances
By blastecho on April 26, 2016

In February—before BlastEcho had gone live—we reached out to someone we thought was D’arcy Wretzky, the reclusive former bassist for The Smashing Pumpkins. The call went straight to voicemail; the outgoing message didn’t indicate it was her, and the two texts that followed went unanswered. So we showed up at her goddamn door. Joking. Anyway, fast forward two months later, the phone rings and the distinctive area code gives it away before we answer: it’s her.
Why she waited two months to return the call or even why she decided to call back at all never became clear throughout our nearly hour-long conversation (which later spilled into text messaging). What we wanted to know and what we assume a lot of others want to know is, what the hell happened to her?
Little has been heard from Wretzky since was fired from The Pumpkins 17 years ago. Today she lives on a non-working horse farm somewhere in Michigan (she invited us to Google it, so by all means). In fact, the last time she was publicly outed it was 2011 when she was arrested for a misdemeanor drunk-driving charge and failing to appear in court for a ticket related to her inability to control her horses (she served six days in jail).
She also works on music that, in her words, she “wouldn’t know how to explain.” None of it is recorded and “who knows,” she says, if she’ll ever one day release it.
Calling her evasive would be an understatement, perhaps a condition of her, as she says, “off-the-charts ADHD.” How she makes a living, too, is anyone’s else but she inferred that she gets by on Pumpkins money. Her words: “If that’s what you’d like to think, then you can think that.”
Speaking of The Pumpkins, she called former bandmate James Iha’s two appearances with the new version of The Pumpkins “really healthy,” and said Iha is the only member of the Pumpkins who she keeps in contact with, albeit just “here and there.”
Wretzky claims she’s been asked to rejoin The Pumpkins on four occasions, but then later says she hasn’t spoken to head Pumpkin Billy Corgan since 1999, the year she was fired. She would, however, “consider going back.”
“Circumstances would have to be a certain way,” she says. “It’s much too complicated. I wouldn’t be able to tell you anyway.” Of course.
She hasn’t kept up with The Pumpkins since she left the band: “I don’t have time really. People tell me stuff but I don’t have time.” At the same time, she’s wistful about her tenure in the band. “Over the course of 12 years jamming with people who just clicked, you could just do it forever and ever and ever,” Wretzky says. “For me that doesn’t happen very often and I really miss that.”
At one point she asked us why we didn’t ask if she was on drugs (besides her prescription ADHD medication). When we remarked that we’d never expect a truthful answer seeing that she refused to tell us what town she lived in or what her music sounded like, she volunteered that she was “healthier now than she’s ever been in her life.” She did, however, confess that “there are very few drugs that I can do and the ones that I could do stopped working so I stopped using them.”
Why she remains so reclusive after all these years—her last interview was an equally serpentine one to a Chicago radio station in 2009—is, simply, because she “never really believed in fame.”
She says her life is full of weekend-warrior variety, and imagines her life as James Bond while hang-gliding, skydiving and scuba diving often.
“[There’s] no such day as a typical day in my life,” she says. “I couldn’t do that because I’d get bored. I’m never bored. Ever.”

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 06-25-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #48
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
It worked once didn't it....
That's what she said!!!

Old 06-25-2017, 07:20 PM   #49
Ram27
dumb

'renew and revive' is just a Hummer reference innit?

Old 06-25-2017, 08:26 PM   #50
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
i'm not confused. i know about the message to chicago paper, i have it. i was at the TFE record release party.

the album didn't do shit for sales. so his announcement didn't work.
seriously, Jelly Blossom just can't admit he's wrong. the SP renewal announcement didn't "work" at boosting his solo album sales and thus "it worked once didn't it" makes no sense

Old 06-25-2017, 08:32 PM   #51
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
seriously, Jelly Blossom just can't admit he's wrong. the SP renewal announcement didn't "work" at boosting his solo album sales and thus "it worked once didn't it" makes no sense

He shot his solo album down the tubes by focusing away from it the day of its release. ummmm...whoops.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #52
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
i'm not confused. i know about the message to chicago paper, i have it. i was at the TFE record release party.

the album didn't do shit for sales. so his announcement didn't work.
Actually, it did work. With the publicity surrounding his announcement to "revive and renew" the Pumpkins, TFE sold better because of it. So figure this, if Corgan hadn't of taken out that ad in the Chicago Tribune with his Pumpkins announcement (along with prominently stating that he had a new solo album out) then TFE wouldn't have even sold as well as it did... That's where a lot of your confusion is stemming from due to not being able to see that it did work.

Think of it like this: Everything released from Billy from TFE to now (and arguably before, but let's start with TFE here), whether it be under the name "The Smashing Pumpkins" or "Billy Corgan" has actually just been Billy Corgan music. Doesn't matter what name he's selling it as, that's superficial and is all about marketing. Billy writes all the songs, Billy arranges all the songs, Billy plays most of the instruments on the songs, Billy has final say on all of the songs, etc. with absolutely no checks or balances... which is fine I suppose, but let's just call a spade a spade.

Corgan stated himself around the time of the Ravinia show in 2014 that he was and always was the Smashing Pumpkins, hence why he wanted to start incorporating songs from Zwan and TFE in SP shows, which to my understanding started happening in 2015 (at least with TFE crap).

Hell, Jimmy quit playing with Corgan when it was clear that Corgan was not open to ideas/suggestions from Jimmy, and even engineers who have worked with him have said that while he's polite and will listen to other's ideas he doesn't collaborate.

SP hasn't been a band since at least 2000... and the group never really was a "band" in the traditional sense. This is all Billy Corgan music. Just sold under the "Smashing Pumpkins" name as up until recently the SP was worth far more to concert promoters and the record buying public than "Billy Corgan" is, hence why Zeitgeist went gold in the US (with sales ~500K) while TFE only sold about 10-20% of that value (69K as of 2006, the most recent sales info I could find).

Old 06-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #53
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Dude, my point is that it help his career, not specifically his solo album. He went from selling ~70K with TFE to 500K with Zeitgeist by announcing he was putting the Pumpkins back together.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

Old 06-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #54
The Omega Concern
Banned

It was inconsequential to the sales of an album that didn't get released until 2 years later and it did nothing to help the sales of the solo album he released that day. How is that so difficult to understand?

Old 06-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #55
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
Dude, my point is that it help his career, not specifically his solo album. He went from selling ~70K with TFE to 500K with Zeitgeist by announcing he was putting the Pumpkins back together.

Why is this so difficult to understand?
From this rationale, you could surmise Billy singing 'take me out to the ballgame' at a Cubs playoff game in '03 would have had an impact on sales as well. It didn't. The music still matters most.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #56
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
It was inconsequential to the sales of an album that didn't get released until 2 years later and it did nothing to help the sales of the solo album he released that day. How is that so difficult to understand?
It didn't perform any miracles for TFE, but the publicity surrounding its release increased its exposure, which in turn increased sales. Advertising 101 right there.

With that point made, the follow up point is...

By annoucning he was reforming SP, Billy increased sales of his next album, Zeitgeist, 10x over TFE by releasing it under the SP name.

I don't think anybody here would argue that all things being equal, that Zeitgeist would have sold anywhere near as well as it did had it been released under the Billy Corgan name.

Those are my points, and that's exactly what I've been saying over multiple posts now.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #57
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
From this rationale, you could surmise Billy singing 'take me out to the ballgame' at a Cubs playoff game in '03 would have had an impact on sales as well. It didn't.
Uh... no.

Quote:
The music still matters most.
I agree 100% with that.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:09 PM   #58
slunken
Virgo

Billy is not the in the music industry any more.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #59
slunken
Virgo

Everyone hates him and no company wants to release his records.

The music is shit and he is also shit.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #60
run2pee
Minion of Satan

YOUR GONNA LISTEN NOW TO MEEEEEEEE

*sobs*

*sniffles*