Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Default Solara filming locations

This one wasn't too hard to find because there are several house numbers visible, so I just punched one in and looked looked at google images until the house popped up, as they're often photographed for real estate listings.

All the shots are in this neighborhood between Eagle Rock Blvd and York Blvd. Billy starts out walking up Alumni Ave, but it jumps around to a few different locations.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al...4d-118.2166763

https://i.imgur.com/8vUNMFd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/91alUzp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/N6Pgvxv.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HG437s8.png
https://i.imgur.com/b6Od4Gm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/byZIclY.png

Old 10-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

God, these photos just make me depressed as a fan. It looks like a Halloween party that the biggest asshole you know throws every year but you still go because you never get invited to anything else.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

thanks... I guess

Old 10-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
God, these photos just make me depressed as a fan. It looks like a Halloween party that the biggest asshole you know throws every year but you still go because you never get invited to anything else.
I can imagine a lady walking her dog past the production, asking crew "what's with all the face paint?" and crew guy says "it's a music video for a 90's alt-rock band", and the lady says "oh, that makes sense. Looks like they're having fun!"

Old 10-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
I can imagine a lady walking her dog past the production, asking crew "what's with all the face paint?" and crew guy says "it's a music video for a 90's alt-rock band", and the lady says "oh, that makes sense. Looks like they're having fun!"
Haha, yeah for real. I seriously hope I didn't look like these people in my 90s goth days.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I resemble the body builder. Except for, of course, the corpse paint.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

How bizarre.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
Haha, yeah for real. I seriously hope I didn't look like these people in my 90s goth days.
you probably did.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

If anyone wants to take on a mild challenge for fun, try to find these locations, they're presumably somewhere within the neighborhood. I've seen a row of tall Arborvitae like that in the background in neighborhood.

https://i.imgur.com/bAEJvsK.png
https://i.imgur.com/xxHoWi7.png

Old 10-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Amazing. The Google Streetview pictures look sharper and less overexposed than the high resolution video material.

Billy obviously had a good day at the filming. Which might not have been considered in the shooting script...

Old 10-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #11
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
you probably did.
(Sigh)

You're probably right. Though I never did the white facepaint thing, just the black eye makeup.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #12
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
Amazing. The Google Streetview pictures look sharper and less dissolved than the high resolution video material.
There's smoke in one and another the camera is focused on the foreground.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #13
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

I didn't mean the barbecue scene. The pictures don't look very sharp even in the foreground at the video material.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #14
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

I'm surprised by the low budget feel of the video considering the realtively high production values of the video that played behind the band during the concerts. You'd think it would be the other way around.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

I wouldn't be surprised, if the concert video from Live Nation is better than the Coloma live project days later.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #16
HerVelvetSpleen
Pledge

I never bothered to watch the video but holy shit this is so, so bad. I could've done better goth makeup for the entire cast with a $100.00 gift card to Walmart.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #17
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Their budget didn't suffice for more than one filet.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #18
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerVelvetSpleen View Post
I never bothered to watch the video but holy shit this is so, so bad. I could've done better goth makeup for the entire cast with a $100.00 gift card to Walmart.
John Mayer made an "ironic" low budget video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ055hHdxbE but whereas John Mayer tries to be funny and isn't, Billy wasn't trying to be funny, and yet it turned out hilarious.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #19
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
John Mayer made an "ironic" low budget video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ055hHdxbE but whereas John Mayer tries to be funny and isn't, Billy wasn't trying to be funny, and yet it turned out hilarious.
Or was he? #machinamystery

Old 10-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #20
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
John Mayer's video is awesome. He totally captured the "sad guy in his 30s" aesthetic.

This is what Adult Contemporary Rock should be -not hiring a young hip director to film you skulk in slowmo while wearing a stupid goth outfit.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #21
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea how anybody could watch this and not think Billy wasn't trying to be funny, tbh

Old 10-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #22
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
John Mayer's video is awesome. He totally captured the "sad guy in his 30s" aesthetic.

This is what Adult Contemporary Rock should be -not hiring a young hip director to film you skulk in slowmo while wearing a stupid goth outfit.
I see both as being "stuck in the fantasies of our youth", and it's rather a douchee video on Mayer's part, he's obviously mocking the idea of average people pretending to be famous, but if there's one thing he and Billy have in common, it's an inability to grasp how they're seen by others.

Billy, meanwhile, does it in earnest. He's an awkward goth teenage stuck in a fifty year old's body. That's genuine, it's not an act. Everything about him says "fuck you, dad, I'm not going to college.", in the video, outside of the video.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #23
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

except that his dad was a junkie who could never send him to college

Old 10-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #24
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Who said anything about sending you? You got make your own way, Junior. A real man doesn't come cryin' to his daddy for help. So are you? Are you actually a man?

Old 10-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #25
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
I have absolutely no idea how anybody could watch this and not think Billy wasn't trying to be funny, tbh
Well if this is so, it's a school of comedy with which I am not familiar, but, maybe that just speaks to his genius.

TBH, all the symbolism in that video about being on a dog leash, being injected with a "trauma" i.v., and navigating a world of freaks who look at him like he's the freak, is very angsty, gen-X, 1990's MTV, and it's nice to see such an authentic example of a bygone era. Usually nostalgia acts are just that, but this really could have come out of 1995, save for the drone toy.

Last edited by MonumentsRocks : 10-10-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #26
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

The other thing about the video worth noting is how it's explicitly set in classic boring suburbia, which is the traditional setting for your typical outcast to want to break out of. But now it's populated entirely by outcasts because being an outcast has become normal, expected and acceptable. So it's the story of a weirdo seeing that the boring world he rebelled against has normalized that weirdo rebellion and that he's come to the realization that he's still got no real place out in it no matter how much things have changed, or haven't. It's all ridiculous and very silly.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:13 AM   #27
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
The other thing about the video worth noting is how it's explicitly set in classic boring suburbia, which is the traditional setting for your typical outcast to want to break out of. But now it's populated entirely by outcasts because being an outcast has become normal, expected and acceptable. So it's the story of a weirdo seeing that the boring world he rebelled against has normalized that weirdo rebellion and that he's come to the realization that he's still got no real place out in it no matter how much things have changed, or haven't. It's all ridiculous and very silly.
That's a good interpretation, and it would jive with the lyrics, too.

I just realized the reason the video feels to 90's is that it actually does borrow heavily from "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden, which MTV played non stop in the mid 90's. People behaving strangely in their suburban front yards, a girl destroying her barbie dolls, people spitting stuff out of their mouths in a creepy manner, milk bottles, body builders, a whole fish being cooked / prepped for cooking, a bunch of insects, a barbecue. I wonder if Billy was like "think 'Black Hole Sun', but instead of $100k budget, more like $100."

Old 10-11-2018, 03:31 AM   #28
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

And the body builder from "Black Hole Sun" now played the butler in "Solara"...

Old 10-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #29
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

good lord. I live less than a mile from here and its absurd this was happening in my back yard while i was presumably eating a block of cheese and watching Ken Burns' Vietnam

Old 10-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #30
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
And the body builder from "Black Hole Sun" now played the butler in "Solara"...
I don't think that's correct.