Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2002, 10:09 PM   #1
Stearnsie

Post Most Technically Difficult SP Solo?

I would suppose the obvious choices are Starla and Drown, but me not being a guitar guru... would anyone else have any opinions about the most difficult solo to play?

Old 04-26-2002, 10:28 PM   #2
Aeroplane

maybe not hard, but Zero and XYU sure are weird

Old 04-26-2002, 10:37 PM   #3
Crono

I've heard tell that Bury Me has a pretty difficult solo...

PauL

Old 04-26-2002, 10:41 PM   #4
Sacred Age Of Innocence

Bury Me for sure!!

I love playing it but it isn't easy!

Old 04-26-2002, 10:45 PM   #5
pale_princess

Talking

cinnamon girl!

Old 04-26-2002, 10:52 PM   #6
NegaBenji

About 30 people are going to come in here and shout 'Geek USA!!1!' because bolly made them stoppen ze cuppen with it. I think Bury Me's definitely up there, what with the modal changes and the fast harmonics

Old 04-26-2002, 11:24 PM   #7
smiling politely

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Stearnsie:
I would suppose the obvious choices are Starla and Drown, but me not being a guitar guru... would anyone else have any opinions about the most difficult solo to play?
What's so hard about the Drown solo? Like, I can even play it so that it sounds recognisable, which means that it's probably easy as hell. Is there some technique or something you're supposed to use that I don't know about?

Or were you talking about that stupid feedback?

[This message has been edited by smiling politely (edited 04-26-2002).]

Old 04-26-2002, 11:42 PM   #8
Stearnsie

As I said, I'm not really a guitar player, but listening to the Drown solo... I've never heard a guitar sound like that before. So, I would've assumed it was pretty hard. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 04-27-2002, 12:07 AM   #9
NegaBenji

Quote:
Originally posted by Stearnsie:
As I said, I'm not really a guitar player, but listening to the Drown solo... I've never heard a guitar sound like that before. So, I would've assumed it was pretty hard. Maybe I'm wrong.
Well there's more to a solo than getting the right notes in order, it's the way you play them too. Recognizable is one thing, but pulling it off faithfully is a little harder. But no, Drown isn't a particularily complex one

Old 04-27-2002, 03:25 AM   #10
Smiley

Some people will say the Starla solo, but I think that's cheating... because that all improvisation. Trying to copy it exactly would be silly... Billy didn't even copy the studio version of the solo when playing it live.

Anyway... I'm not very good at guitar yet, but I tried playing along to most of the Siamese Dream solos today, while looking at the tab book. I was able to do cheap imitations of Soma, Cherub Rock, and Quiet... but there's no way I could even imagine doing the Geek USA solo.

------------------
"love does not always have to be quiet and graceful, it can be boisterous and loud and even rude, to shout above the din to be heard sometimes... if only to bring a little peace" -bc
http://www.suicidekiss.org

Old 04-27-2002, 07:14 AM   #11
Marquis667

OF COURSE ITS GEEK USA!!!1,
Thats THE ONE SOLO EVAR!
takes alot of skill
but I'm almost there...
practice, just practice...

Old 04-27-2002, 07:20 AM   #12
Marquis667

and stoppen ze throwen ze cuppen

Old 04-27-2002, 07:31 PM   #13
Jesus Is Me

I subscribe to billy's theory on soloing, which is to never attempt to copy somebody elses solo, cuz it just won't work...thats my 2 cents in case you're an aspiring player or something...it's helped me alot

Old 04-29-2002, 02:01 AM   #14
eternalone

Bolly saved his best solo for the end...Untitled is hard as heck!

Old 04-29-2002, 02:07 AM   #15
Vassago Stolos

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley:
Some people will say the Starla solo, but I think that's cheating... because that all improvisation. Trying to copy it exactly would be silly... Billy didn't even copy the studio version of the solo when playing it live.
Forgive me if i'm mistaken - it's been a while since i've heard a version of this song live - but UC 2000-11-29 sounded like he was trying to get pretty close from what i remember http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

Old 04-29-2002, 01:03 PM   #16
Moonchild

Wink

The best solo by the pumpkins for me is the one in "For Martha". That solo kicks ass!!!

I don't know if it's their best 'technically', though...

Old 04-29-2002, 11:21 PM   #17
Mathboy

Basically, with the Pumpkins, the most difficult is gonna be whatever is the fastest. A lot of the time the cool sounding stuff just comes from held, bent notes, which are pretty easy to play, and it's not like Billy is into crazy Satriani stuff or Van Halen fingertapping.

So you've got Soma and Geek USA up there, cause they've both got superfast runs in there, and Untitled seems like it would be a bitch to try and pull off, too. Then there's Starla, just because it'd be hard to string all that stuff together. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm trying to bring off Gish stuff, either -- most of that sounds pretty rough, though I haven't sat down with a tab and tried to go through it, so it could be easier than it sounds. But that's sort of my take -- guess I didn't have a lot to contribute, after all.

Old 04-30-2002, 12:45 AM   #18
MonteLDS

Wink

disarm :-P

Old 04-30-2002, 12:58 AM   #19
NegativeSleep

Arrow

The solos in Nothing and Everything sound like a bitch to play ... there are some insane runs in that one, unless it's some trickery I'm unfamiliar with.

------------------
Negative Sleep

"I pity the foo, thug or soul who tries to take over the world,
then goes home crying to his mama"

- Mr. T.

Old 04-30-2002, 02:02 PM   #20
NegaBenji

Quote:
Originally posted by NegativeSleep:
The solos in Nothing and Everything sound like a bitch to play ... there are some insane runs in that one, unless it's some trickery I'm unfamiliar with.

IT'S A DELAY PEDAL!!!

why does no-one see this? :/

Old 04-30-2002, 03:41 PM   #21
VegasPumpkin

Quote:
Originally posted by NegaBenji:
IT'S A DELAY PEDAL!!!

why does no-one see this? :/
have you heard the Nothing + Everything live version that was a bonus on the RTS or see the clip in full circle from the on the cable show in 88 or 89. There is no delay. That is by far the hardest solo. Thats when Billy was listening to Yngwie Malmsteen too much.

Old 04-30-2002, 05:35 PM   #22
paranoid

Red face

the solo in jackie blue. the licks! dear god the licks!

------------------
When argueing with someone stupid, make sure they are not doing the same.

Old 05-02-2002, 04:14 PM   #23
smashingjj

Quote:
Originally posted by NegativeSleep:

first thing I noticed when I first heard that song. it sounds a bit like a metallica solo.

------------------
Mallow

http://www.director-file.com/cunningham/5226.jpg

Old 05-02-2002, 11:35 PM   #24
Johnny Zoloft

the solo in Fuck You is kinda difficult to pull off cause it's so damn fast.

and i think one of the most "technical" solos has to be all that shit from Glass and the Ghost Children.

no shit.

------------------
no one knows who Sarah Dougher is.

Old 05-03-2002, 04:00 PM   #25
liquid slide

billy said that the solo for zero was planned meticulously beforehand, and that it took like 3 hours to set up the right distortion.
also, it's not hard but billy had to do like 30 takes of the quiet solo to get the feedback just right.

------------------
the aeroplane moves whether you want it to or not. cram packed with fuel injected jet missile action, this is war motherfucker and don't you forget it for one second.

Old 05-03-2002, 04:07 PM   #26
hereisnowhy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by paranoid:
the solo in jackie blue. the licks! dear god the licks!

Most underrated solo ever.

Old 05-03-2002, 09:37 PM   #27
Jesus Is Me

Quote:
Originally posted by liquid slide:
billy said that the solo for zero was planned meticulously beforehand, and that it took like 3 hours to set up the right distortion.
also, it's not hard but billy had to do like 30 takes of the quiet solo to get the feedback just right.

i thought james did that one...am i wrong?

Old 05-03-2002, 11:25 PM   #28
liquid slide

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesus Is Me:
i thought james did that one...am i wrong?
if you're talking about the zero one, you are correct, as for quiet, i am 100% certain it was billy

------------------
the aeroplane moves whether you want it to or not. cram packed with fuel injected jet missile action, this is war motherfucker and don't you forget it for one second.

Old 05-04-2002, 07:58 AM   #29
Hazza

live, James plays the Zero solo, so doesn't that mean he recorded it in the studio.

in a sound board recording of the vancover 97, James is right and bolly is left, and as the right channel has a wah, and the channel on the left starts zero and plays the TAFH Solo yadda yadda.

Old 05-04-2002, 04:46 PM   #30
Nothing/everything

Arrow

I'm not a guitar guru either, but: Alabaster?