Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 07-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #3091
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

https://i.imgur.com/22nT60B.gif

Old 07-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #3092
anderton
Amish Rake Fighter

Hey guys, thanks for activating me! I'm from another music forum where we've got a Billy thread and our philosophies are not dissimilar. I went to the Phoenix show and thought I'd share some of my thoughts from the ground.

Billy's voice
My impression was that he was in fine, functional form for most of the show but he would occasionally croak. The first instance was "Stand Inside Your Love" and it was pretty noticeable during "Mayonaise" and "1979" as well. Somebody else described shitty Billy voice as having a lot of consonant-dropping and shitty vibrato and that's exactly what was going on. The "For Martha"/"To Shiela" bit was heavily assisted by the prominence of the female vocalist/keyboardist in the mix. Somebody else noted that he pulled off the "Bullet" scream - I'd bet good money that he did not. He definitely mouthed it, but in the moment it definitely sounded like it was either a backing track or a feedback screech coming in from another channel.

Jack & Jeff
Zero stage presence whatsoever. I'm sure they're nice guys. If Billy had a guitar, Jeff may as well have been mimicking playing.

Guitar Tone
Sounded fucking great. Billy's secret weapon has always been his gearhead side, which he sacrificed so everything would sound like overprocessed nu-metal shit, but that wasn't the case here.

A Level Broadway Type Production
Yeah this was goofy as hell. I mean, you've seen the videos, but let's really reflect on how Billy is making this "reunion" The Billy Show - the "Disarm" montage of childhood videos is hilarious, anytime he isn't playing guitar he's prancing around like a fat bald Mick Jagger, he's doing ridiculous costume changes (James only gets "Blew Away" so Billy can upstage him in his Michael Jackson outfit on an elevated piano), there's the Pope Billy ("Zero") statue... it's absolute insanity. You want maximum Billy ego stroking, you've got it.

Stairway
I have been puzzled about this for days. Since I've been lurking Netphoria, I knew it was coming, but when it happened it was still completely befuddling. And yet it's probably the shrewdest marketing move Billy could have possibly pulled off - everyone's phones were out recording this clusterfuck. Google "Smashing Pumpkins" and they're talking about "Stairway." Jeff gets to play the big solo.

The crowd
I grabbed a cheap scalped ticket right outside the venue at 7:30 because I knew I could, but I have to say it looks like the final total wasn't too bad. The floor seemed to fill up, even though it was holding stagnant at about 3/4 sold up until the day of the show. I'm guessing a lot of tickets were sold at the door. The corner rows in the lower level were looking pretty sparse, but I would guesstimate 80-85% sold at the end of the day. Someone earlier said that the crowd looked pretty unenthused, but that's really more of a Phoenix problem than a Smashing Pumpkins problem. Most of the people in the seats chose to stand for the whole three hours which I would consider pretty high level excitement for this city. You can't get these people to headbob most of the time.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #3093
mpp
Minion of Satan

Anybody have any clue as to when they come on stage and when the show's over? I'm sure I'll leave before the encore (untr00 fan)...

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #3094
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

Imagine Billy and D'arcy had actually gotten in a room together

And Billy laid out his vision of what these shows were going to look like

There's no way D'arcy doesn't laugh so hard they both die, right?

Old 07-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #3095
myosis
Minion of Satan

so, who thinks they can play better than him?

Old 07-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #3096
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Imagine Billy and D'arcy had actually gotten in a room together

And Billy laid out his vision of what these shows were going to look like

There's no way D'arcy doesn't laugh so hard they both die, right?
D'arcy said that she and Billy discussed their plans for the tour for a year and a half. I don't know what they specifically talked about though, it would be interesting if Billy discussed any of the visual elements we're seeing now.

I actually think a lot of the show seems pretty entertaining and has a good visual look. I just think the response would be better if the entire original lineup was there since it's entirely built on nostalgia for the original Pumpkins, and the original Pumpkins aren't actually back together. It seems like Billy planned a show with the idea of all four original members getting back together and just decided to do it anyways when that didn't work out.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #3097
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
McGrath follows me on Twitter, so he's cool in my book.
this is why i don't like you. constantly name-dropping. and the worst kind too, irrelevant people

Old 07-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #3098
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
D'arcy said that she and Billy discussed their plans for the tour for a year and a half. I don't know what they specifically talked about though, it would be interesting if Billy discussed any of the visual elements we're seeing now.

I actually think a lot of the show seems pretty entertaining and has a good visual look. I just think the response would be better if the entire original lineup was there since it's entirely built on nostalgia for the original Pumpkins, and the original Pumpkins aren't actually back together. It seems like Billy planned a show with the idea of all four original members getting back together and just decided to do it anyways when that didn't work out.
planned a show...

Old 07-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #3099
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
this is why i don't like you. constantly name-dropping. and the worst kind too, irrelevant people
Not really, more famous people follow me that I haven't mentioned on here, I could care less. I no longer get starstruck or give a fuck about people's fame, it's why I stopped doing interviews.

I did the D'arcy one because I thought she had a story to tell that hadn't been told, and I'm more proud of that interview than ones I've done with bigger names.

I just thought it was random/cool that Mark McGrath followed a site on Grunge/dark 90's rock even though his music has nothing to do with it lol.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #3100
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
This is what I'm going to see. James rocking out and having fun.

Don't give two shits about the guy from sugar ray, selling out, arenas vs club tours, the non-presence of Jack and Jeff, Zero saints on wheels or whatever the fuck we're blowing out of proportion this week.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #3101
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

lmao. doubling down, i see. i do respect that you don't give a fuck though

Old 07-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #3102
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
D'arcy said that she and Billy discussed their plans for the tour for a year and a half. I don't know what they specifically talked about though

Billy should have been straight with D'arcy from the get go (2016)....like this:

D'arcy...I plan to do a reunion arena tour. Since you haven't played in public for so long, it might be too much pressure for you to join the band full time. But I'd love if you played a couple of songs each night. You can test the waters that way. Please understand that I can't offer you more right now. After the tour we can talk about you joining the band full time again. Please think about it.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #3103
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

LOL...have you seen the "leaked" setlist yet?....funny stuff:

"Jimmy Chamberlin LiveOne Inc. Sales Pitch"

https://i.redd.it/knt5tluf2aa11.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashingPum...st_got_leaked/

Old 07-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #3104
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadofnight View Post
Better view of the opening video. Some really cool nods to previous artwork

that was great

Old 07-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #3105
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
LOL...have you seen the "leaked" setlist yet?....funny stuff:

"Jimmy Chamberlin LiveOne Inc. Sales Pitch"

https://i.redd.it/knt5tluf2aa11.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashingPum...st_got_leaked/
I added Yeah! to the setlist of the first show while it was going on. Lame I know, but it made me laff. I might have also added Smells Like Teen Spirit...

Old 07-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #3106
slayed23
Ownz

Not sure how big that venue is tonight in Austin, but there are basically no tickets left.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #3107
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
Not sure how big that venue is tonight in Austin, but there are basically no tickets left.
well, thanks for saying nothing at all

Old 07-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #3108
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
mark mcgrath does the jazz hands thing when he says james iha's name, and in jazz circles that particular gesture is seen as racist. reflection of the whole minstrel thing.. good going, pumpkins!
reaching ...

Old 07-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #3109
KissesandNoise
Banned

Does Jimbo get a moment? A little jazz break? A solo?

Old 07-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #3110
seahorserodeo78
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Shhh how dare you post that information. Now all the "this tour is a big failure, its selling like crap" turds here will have to make another excuse for it being terrible. Oh wait they already move onto the stage show since Billy's voice isn't complete shit like they said.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #3111
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

The ticket sale for the two concerts in Europe began a month ago.
Will they be adding dates until the end of August...?

Old 07-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #3112
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

https://j.gifs.com/D9LML5.gif

Old 07-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #3113
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

https://j.gifs.com/W7ygNn.gif

Old 07-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #3114
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Quote:
Frank Erwin center is about 18k for concerts and I can tell you this is completely false.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #3115
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
I'm surprised anyone even recognised him. I didn't, and I still can't tell it's him comparing pictures of him. Is he even that much in the public consciousness anymore?
He was recently on Celebrity Big Brother, which was one of the top rated shows. He actually seemed like a pretty cool guy. I remember he was also on Celebrity Apprentice.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:25 PM   #3116
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
sugar ray is the ultimate sellout band. they were really heavy and then had the hit with "Fly" and then all of their songs became like that song. not that i blame them for it, money is a big motivator. they had some more hits here - every morning, someday, and when it's over

This song and video kicks ass. I love that little turntable and guitar dual/exchange near the beginning of the outro

I was recently trying to get into some more music that I hadn't heard and I checked out the 2 Sugar Ray albums that came after the album with Fly and good god... They are absolutely horrible... Like offensively bad, so bad that I couldn't believe a major label would sign off on them.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:29 PM   #3117
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Arrow

Quote:
Yeah, I remember that from your articles; I just cannot fathom a world where D'arcy would put up with the pageantry on display here

I look back on the Machina Mystery and the characters and so on and I just don't believe that ever would have gone ahead if D'arcy had stayed; it's just too ridiculous

Old 07-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #3118
Disarmu
Pledge

Surely more dates will be added in Europe. Cant be just 2 concerts can it? Hopefully more will be added. I cant miss this tour.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #3119
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, I was thinking of trecking out to the Seattle show that's a little more than 2 weeks away, but I think I'm gonna pass. It's just not my cup of tea. I'd go if they had a general admission area, but I'm not really into the whole dad-rock spectacle. And when I saw GnR with a floor seat ticket, I got all wasted and turns out I was seated at the end of the aisle, right next to security and a dad in his 40's and his little daughter. Couldn't have been lamer. No way to enjoy a rock spectacle.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #3120
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarmu View Post
Surely more dates will be added in Europe. Cant be just 2 concerts can it? Hopefully more will be added. I cant miss this tour.
I doubt they would bring that huge structure over to Europe only to play London and Bologna. They would wouldn't make a profit.

I won't be flying to London, I'm hoping for a 3 arena show in Dublin or at least an SSE Arena in Belfast. I would consider going to Lisbon, Madrid, Brussels or Munich / Berlin.