Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #61
adamdanger!
Pledge

Tipping automatically is for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #62
Ram27
dumb

B-but they don't get paid minimum wage

Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #63
adamdanger!
Pledge

Jesus Christ man, these ladies aren't starving to death. They make minimum wage.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #64
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 rolling stone
Corgan starts sharing his own drug tales. “When I would take LSD, I’d listen to Sabbath and Ry Cooder — Sabbath to come up, Ry Cooder to come down,” he says. “The Pumpkins used to take LSD onstage, all four members. Not good. The music was really complicated and fast, and you were playing prog-rock, tripping your brains out.”

Old 08-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #65
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Uh, I don't know how to reply to something like that. I don't know what Billy was feeling at the time. But I doubt he had no urges for thrill seeking. Do you not think it would be personally meaningful to feel like a rock god in the way LSD makes you feeling like a god in its own way already? I can't even imagine how euphoric that would be. You'd really believe it in those hours. We do know he did it, and that it is a high risk situation in and of itself (on stage)... boredom? I dunno, playing concerts isn't boring.

As for those songs, I think those are a very small glimpse into his personality and shouldn't be a basis for psychoanalyzing him. Of course parts of one's self goes into songs, but they aren't necessarily as personally relevant years or even months later.
There is a certain honesty and immaturity of writing experience that I think shows on many of those old demos..where basically, it just sounds like Corgo musing reflectively on either certain aspects of his own life or existential concerns as they relate to his own life. Nothing exceedingly cryptic or grandiose. I mean, we all know he's basically a narcissistic songwriter in that the songs have always generally always about himself or his own experience in some way. If something is referred to explicitly in the lyrics I don't really have a reason to doubt that sentiment it expresses is not in some way accurate to his own feelings.

I mean, of course almost everyone has SOME level of "thrill seeking" in general but specifically I mean he doesn't really seem that into physical thrill seeking (which in terms of the sensation seeking dimensions, "thrill seeking" refers specifically to the classic "daredevil" category.) With him it would seem like a sort of psychological boredom + always searching for something bigger sort of thing. Of course, he could have done it simply as a way of feeling like he was connecting with, and channeling the image and creative mindset of all his rock heroes from the late 60s and 70s. It is pretty clear this was part of the whole image they wanted to cultivate from around 1989-1992. I know it's sort of a cute and naive way to approach art but I would not put that past the thoughts of any young 20-something year old.
Quote:
Those musicians simply played better if they were in the same state--either sober or high, not both. Does that make sense?

I can only assume your brain gets used to operating in a certain state, and is best when that state is continued.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. State-dependent learning is a pretty well documented phenomenon. Contextual cues are uber-important to facilitating recall of learned material. It's in the literature but I've also heard some pretty funny anecdotal stories (that I almost have trouble believing) about it as well.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #66
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Look, we have no idea why he did it. I simply offered an alternate reason. It's probably some of both, and things we haven't thought of. Maybe he just liked the euphoria.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #67
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter

Because that's what rockstars do: Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #68
sjpaterra
Ownz

Our last hope to know anything interesting about bicorg's LSD use, mushroom consumption, etc is his spiritual memoir. I hope he mentions stuff like discovering works by Leary or McKenna or Huxley and using LSD as a tool for attaining spiritual enlightenment... Maybe he found it and stopped or maybe he thought it was trite to buy god for $10/100micrograms of nirvana and quit... Who knows.

Too bad the title sucks.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #69
mcwheels
Amish Rake Fighter

smoke dmt and stop pussying around billy!

Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #70
matcada
Pledge

http://archive.org/details/tsp1997-0...CM-909A.flac16

Can't find this site where all the banters are written down, but track 14, at 4:30, I remembered that Billy was talking about cocaïne. I'm not a native english-speaker, so I don't exactly get it... but anyway, it is still building the myth.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #71
Adult Head
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcada View Post
http://archive.org/details/tsp1997-0...CM-909A.flac16

Can't find this site where all the banters are written down, but track 14, at 4:30, I remembered that Billy was talking about cocaïne. I'm not a native english-speaker, so I don't exactly get it... but anyway, it is still building the myth.
Corgan: But you understand, we like these awkward moments, we really thrive on them. You're now going to get a scintillating version of X.Y.U., to sear into your consciousness, you may find it impossible...oh look, there goes some people now, we're boring them. They have to go snort some cocaine now.
Iha: They're now running, fleeing the coliseum.
X.Y.U.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #72
matcada
Pledge

Thanks for the understanding !

So it is still part of the myth, even if we're all convinced that they are doing drugs during 1996-1997.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #73
rehab
Amish Rake Fighter

I remember someone hearing saying they had a list of shows with questionable Billy behavior (resulting from drugs or something else entirely). I'd love to see it if that poster/anyone else still has it or something similar.

There's the show from 1992-09-01 where Billy seems to be out of his mind. Some interesting banter at least.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #74
Shallowed
Braindead

https://archive.org/details/tsp1993-10-18.flac16

Quote:
And James, BTW, is completely frying on acid (I spoke with him after the show and can confirm).

Old 02-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #75
slunken
Virgo

Rock power!!!!